World's 2018 - Practice reports | Page 2 | Golden Skate

World's 2018 - Practice reports

russell30

Final Flight
Jackie Wong seems to be at all the events!!! These events are so expensive (rink+flights+hotel+) he must do it really good on the cheap!!

So, he must earn mega money (from main job!!) - or does he work for or supported by Television Network!!!

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Jackie Wong seems to be at all the events!!! These events are so expensive (rink+flights+hotel+) he must do it really good on the cheap!!

So, he must earn mega money (from main job!!) - or does he work for or supported by Television Network!!!

Basically his day job is with McKinsley & Co... a management consulting firm (he's based in New York). He travels a lot for that job, so he racks up a lot of miles, so he uses those miles to travel for skating competition. His company also has a very flexible vacation policy, so he can take off whenever.

Basically Jackie is a master of making the most of his time.

I got it from this story, but it looks like you can't access it unless you are a subscriber: https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-most-trusted-name-in-figure-skating-news-1519303962

russell30

Final Flight
Basically his day job is with McKinsley & Co... a management consulting firm (he's based in New York). He travels a lot for that job, so he racks up a lot of miles, so he uses those miles to travel for skating competition. His company also has a very flexible vacation policy, so he can take off whenever.

Basically Jackie is a master of making the most of his time.

I got it from this story, but it looks like you can't access it unless you are a subscriber: https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-most-trusted-name-in-figure-skating-news-1519303962

Wow! sounds like a good job! especially to have that vacation policy and raking up the air miles and using them for your personal gain...good for him - I am just lucky to just go to one tournament a year!!

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Wow! sounds like a good job! especially to have that vacation policy and raking up the air miles and using them for your personal gain...good for him - I am just lucky to just go to one tournament a year!!

I'm sure he also gets paid for his skating since he works for Ice Network and gets some revenue form his site, but it sounds like Jackie is a high performer at his day job, so I think they figure the trade-off is worth it.

Ophelia

Record Breaker

McKinsey pays high six figure salaries. All in he is probably earning mid $200K.

Ophelia

Record Breaker
^well Jackie is a Wharton grad. His salary is probably middle of the pack compared to his classmates.

oatmella

陈巍
Record Breaker
Wondering whose stuff is missing....Meghan Duhamel tweeted this:
Extremely disappointed in @lufthansa who lost the luggage and skates of two pairs skaters competing at #WorldFigure in Milan tomorrow!!! This is unacceptable 😡🤬 #findthosebags #Lufthansa #terribleservice

That is terrible. In my experience it seems that Lufthansa is always losing luggage - sometimes never to be seen again.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Wolfe as well, apparently per Jackie.

And Julian Yee's luggage did not arrive in Milan with him. :(

I do not know whether there has been any update on his luggage since then.

Seems that several other skaters traveling from Canada and the U.S. also had travel hassles en route to Milan. Flight cancellations and delays.
Kirsten M-T and Michael, Larkyn, Kaetlyn, Knierims and Mirai, I forget who else.

Thanks to those who are posting practice reports.

Go, Max :yay:.

Andrea82

Medalist
Music selection file lists My Drag for Peng/Jin (last year's SP)

And according to Jackie Wong they used that during practices today. So they switched back to it.

She also a new haircut judging by pics.

pearly

Record Breaker
I have to say I don't understand why Jackie Wong spends so much time on his practice reports where he only reports on jumps. Who cares what XY jumped in their daily practice? Why not also report on their spin or stsq levels?

xeyra

Constant state
Record Breaker
I have to say I don't understand why Jackie Wong spends so much time on his practice reports where he only reports on jumps. Who cares what XY jumped in their daily practice? Why not also report on their spin or stsq levels?

Because it's not as easy to determine levels than it is to know what someone jumped? Plus most skaters don't even do full spins/sequences in practice. And to figure out levels for a step sequence requires you to pay attention to the same skater for a longer time than to see 2-3 skaters jump one after the other and make a notation on it.

pearly

Record Breaker
Because it's not as easy to determine levels than it is to know what someone jumped? Plus most skaters don't even do full spins/sequences in practice. And to figure out levels for a step sequence requires you to pay attention to the same skater for a longer time than to see 2-3 skaters jump one after the other and make a notation on it.

I'm aware of that. So what is the value of only reporting on what is easy to recognize? And what is the value of reporting on it in such detail?

desertskates

Medalist
And Julian Yee's luggage did not arrive in Milan with him. :(

I do not know whether there has been any update on his luggage since then.

Seems that several other skaters traveling from Canada and the U.S. also had travel hassles en route to Milan. Flight cancellations and delays.
Kirsten M-T and Michael, Larkyn, Kaetlyn, Knierims and Mirai, I forget who else.

Thanks to those who are posting practice reports.

Go, Max :yay:.

Nooooooo, not Julian :cry: I think he’s fantastic and really wanted him to have a great competition after not making the finals in Pyeongchang. I’ll try to hold out hope for him, but these missing skates situations just suck.

elbkup

Power without conscience is a savage weapon
Medalist
Country
United-States
WHAT is going in with airlines?!!!
First it was the puppy that died in an overhead compartment (rage!!!), then the German Shepard delivered to Japan instead of Kansas with the Great Dane being sent to Kansas instead courtesy of United, and now all these luggage foul-ups just before one of the top FS comps of the year!!! It's awful..they better get their act together quick.. no joke!!

lavenderblossom

Record Breaker
I'm aware of that. So what is the value of only reporting on what is easy to recognize? And what is the value of reporting on it in such detail?

Because maybe half of us aren't at the practice rink to see it in the first place?
Types of jumps are not that easy to recognise for a casual fan either. And knowing which jumps a skater did, or did not do, in practice could give us a picture of their planned layout (I don't trust the planned content sheet anymore. Deniss has done a different FS layout every single time this season) and/or how well they might do in the actual competiton.
He does also comment on other things from time to time like the quality of the ice, how skaters are doing in practice, and music changes (to indicate a change in program).
It's very valuable to those of us who aren't there and want to know how certain skaters are getting on.

Winnie_20

Record Breaker
Shoma has boot problems, new boots after Olys, problems with breaking them in.
With practice tonight, he came, skated a very little, and left within a few minutes. :-(

VenusHalley

Final Flight

they aren't paid for reporting, so they can report as they want and to their ability. I find the reports interesting, because I cannot be there. Go find other sources if you like.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

There's a major nor'easter in the MidAtlantic states today and tomorrow....

Logirl

On the Ice
What awful luck? I was worried about this when I read about boots donated to his favorite restaurant. I thought this is not good. Japan may not end up with three spots now.