2015 US Nationals Senior Ladies Short Program Jan 22 | Page 42 | Golden Skate

2015 US Nationals Senior Ladies Short Program Jan 22

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Please, tell me ONE Nationals where the home cooking ISN"T going full kitchen-speed ahead? EVERYONE does it. That's why I think Nationals -- and that's any nationals, mind you -- is about placements, not points.

Thank you, sabinfire, for the videos. A real unexpected treat and much appreciated.

IN fairness, this homecooking isn't like in Italy. OMG! I mean they gave out points like those Live Strong bracelets after Lance Armstrong 's fall from grace was announced. They gave points out like last year's calendars it was ridciulous. I have never seen anything; why not cancel nationals and save all that money and give it to charity and post the results. I actually felt they should ban the Italians from going to world's = the scores were the ost ridiculous thing I have ever seen even worse than some of those constumes people complain about.

Miss Ice

Let the sky fall~
Medalist
I really, really enjoyed Karen's skate! She's just this fantastic little ball of talent. Good jumps, great great spins, and her musicality and step sequences were good! There's still a bit of junior-nist to her but if she gets on the GP circuit next year, I hope she does fantastically :)

Mhmm, same here. I just hope she continues to improve and is not too affected by any puberty changes. Although, she is turning 16 this year, so I have a feeling this season/beginning of the next one, is the deciding one. She just needs to push through this time and come out on top in JWC!!!

WeakAnkles said:
Please, tell me ONE Nationals where the home cooking ISN"T going full kitchen-speed ahead? EVERYONE does it. That's why I think Nationals -- and that's any nationals, mind you -- is about placements, not points.

Thank you, sabinfire, for the videos. A real unexpected treat and much appreciated..

Japanese nationals this year! Jump calls like there is no tomorrow, everyone with super low scores. Don't believe me? Check it out. Korean nationals were also super strict this year.

Last edited:

cruzceleste

Record Breaker

Thank you, sabinfire, for the videos. A real unexpected treat and much appreciated.

Japan seniors, this year at least, they were strict!

IN fairness, this homecooking isn't like in Italy. OMG! I mean they gave out points like those Live Strong bracelets after Lance Armstrong 's fall from grace was announced. They gave points out like last year's calendars it was ridciulous.

:laugh2:

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Nationals overcooked scoring was in full swing last night for sure. I seriously doubt Ashley is going to get on the podium at Worlds with a like skate - but it's possible. Maybe with some stumbles from the top skaters she could win a bronze.

She came up against the top four Russians who are the top skaters in the World at the moment at the GPF and got a bronze, even after a poor short program. So a bronze is certainly possible for her at Worlds. Her main competition will likely be Anna Pogo, Satoko Miyahara and Gracie.

Last edited:

Miss Ice

Let the sky fall~
Medalist
Also, anyone notice how hyped up Polina's debut was last year in comparison with Chen's this year? Even though both are the same age, Chen even younger than Polina at this time. Something tells me the name "Frank Carrol" has a lot to do with this, even at this day and age. :biggrin:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
A wrong edge lutz is not a flip under the rules. And she wasn't called for a wrong edge.

She did get a !, which definitely contributed to a her -GOE. She got a ! internationally as well (i.e. GPF; TEB). In addition, I do feel that she made an attempt to hold the edge.

A more strict caller, like Amano, might give it an "e" though.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I have to differ; I think Joannie skated faster and had farmore complex choreography and inbetweens. she skated with a rare strength; not so princessy yet still elegant and artistic Gold is rather generic American princess and clearly deserved to be well behind Wagner. Her jumps were of a lower level and her pcs shold reflect she was not as confident as Wagner. Poor Hicks; I think she was undermarked and Polina should definitely be behind Hicks as well Gold should have been behid Courtney too.

I agree. Joannie had better skating skills and better artistry (or P/E, if you want to be technical). Let's not forget also that Gracie two-footed her combo. Joannie skated clean.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Also, anyone notice how hyped up Polina's debut was last year in comparison with Chen's this year? Even though both are the same age, Chen even younger than Polina at this time. Something tells me the name "Frank Carrol" has a lot to do with this, even at this day and age. :biggrin:

Apples to apples, Polina did have a decent JGP season, winning both her JGP events and almost medaling in the final. Karen had a good JGP season, but not as good as Polina's.

That said, I don't really think Polina was all hyped last season. People really saw her as an out of nowhere skater.

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
A wrong edge lutz is not a flip under the rules. And she wasn't called for a wrong edge.

The first part is true - it just looked as a flip at the replay. As for the call, I can remember that Adelina did not have the call at the Russian nationals last year and a lot of people here were not happy about that. Some still are... One can name it conspiracy theory but I think that the fed thinks that this season only Ashley has a chance at the worlds. So that they will do everything to have her win. But so far she deserves that anyway even without "presents".

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
She did get a !, which definitely contributed to a her -GOE. She got a ! internationally as well (i.e. GPF; TEB). In addition, I do feel that she made an attempt to hold the edge.

A more strict caller, like Amano, might give it an "e" though.

But a ! not the same as a wrong edge call. And it certainly doesn't make a lutz into a flip, which is what the post I was responding to was claiming. You have to go with what the rules are and how the jump is called.

karlowens2

On the Ice
Courtney' skate STOLE the show! Why US judges didn't give the right mark? :

The judges do seem often to have an order in their mind. As for Hicks, I hate to bring up the old problem of body type. When you are short-limbed and sturdy things don`t look as good on you. You can be extending to the rafters but it doesn't read. The overall impression of Hicks is sameness. The spin positions kind of mush togeather. Same for twists and turns of step work. This was a problem for Harding, Ito and to some extent Bonaly.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
But a ! not the same as a wrong edge call. And it certainly doesn't make a lutz into a flip, which is what the post I was responding to was claiming. You have to go with what the rules are and how the jump is called.

It is an edge call -- "unclear edge" -- I agree with you that it's definitely not a flip. But wanted to note, that she wasn't completely out of the woods as far as edge call on the jump.

I think she's making good progress.

GypsyFe

On the Ice
After reading so much about Courtney I decided to look at many of the performances...I am totally untrained altho I have skated a lot.
Courtney did not impress me a whole lot - kept wanting to tell her...POSTURE...seems hunched over & didnt seem into her music. Ashley Wagner I feel is right where she belongs as are Gracie & Polina...love the years transformation in Polina - lovely costume & hair so much nicer...did I see that braces are gone? Kept looking LOL
The free will really be a nail biter for everyone - skaters & us watchers!

FlattFan

Match Penalty
I agree. Joannie had better skating skills and better artistry (or P/E, if you want to be technical). Let's not forget also that Gracie two-footed her combo. Joannie skated clean.

Joannie had a stumble and a few minor bobbles in the SP. Not sure about better skating skills either. She's connected to the music and the audience more than Gracie, though. Anyway, the reason I brought it up is because they could give Gracie 72 and no one can do a thing. It wasn't unheard of to get 70+ for 3x2 combo in the SP.

FlattFan

Match Penalty
After reading so much about Courtney I decided to look at many of the performances...I am totally untrained altho I have skated a lot.
Courtney did not impress me a whole lot - kept wanting to tell her...POSTURE...seems hunched over & didnt seem into her music.

You gotta be kidding.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Apparently "they" really want Wagner as champ again.

On top of that, Wagner is skating just before Gold in the FS - meaning that Gold could face even more pressure if Wagner throws it down. Almost hate to say it, but it's gonna be a tough one here for Gold - not looking good for her to defend. If course, if Wagner messes up, that will open the door somewhat, but Gold will still have to walk through it.

I don't recall anyone winning more than 2 US championships since MK? This would be a landmark victory for Wagner if she pulls this off (and the judges are helping her every way they can). Only thing missing is a world medal...which pretty much every other top US lady had...

Miss Ice

Let the sky fall~
Medalist
Just watched Karen's performance - WOW, all is I can say, it gave me chills all the way beginning with the stellar 2A to the music accent to the ending pose. Absolutely gorgeous and I dare say, I think her Requiem music really wins here over all the other ladies. ;)

Last edited:

lbc2138

On the Ice
I don´t like to get excited about little girls (sorry Karen Chen), when puberty hits, it have only bring me pain (Mirai Nagasu).

That's what I was thinking too as I was typing. Getting too emotionally involved when they're young is always a hit or miss :(

burntBREAD

Medalist
Just watched Karen's performance - WOW, all is I can say, it gave me chills all the way beginning with the stellar 2A to the music accent to the ending pose. Absolutely gorgeous and I dare say, I think her Godfather music really wins here over all the other ladies. ;)

Karen's skating to "Requiem for a Dream" (also an extremely common FS piece of music but not so much this year) -- Godfather's the FS.

Meoima

Match Penalty
That's what I was thinking too as I was typing. Getting too emotionally involved when they're young is always a hit or miss :(
same here. I remember when Liza was just 14 and her senior debut.
She's doing well now. But to be fair I still think she hasn't regained her star power and quality of that time yet.