Polina Edmunds World Championship prospects post 4CC. | Page 15 | Golden Skate

Polina Edmunds World Championship prospects post 4CC.

Scott512

Record Breaker
I didn't say it was an insult or disrespectful - I said it was thoughtless; finishes are what matter and the American ladies in results have been nowhere near the Russians. And if she has to tell herself some little confidence speech that's fine, but fans have the right to call-out any comment made in interviews/conferences that is on the surface poorly said or thought-out; or just in their opinion ridiculous to say.

(Note I am an American)
Exactly.

Weathergal

Medalist
While all you said is true--and please note I'm not a big fan of trash talking--Polina is 16. And as many people have pointed out, most likely a "young" 16 at that. I think we might be overanalyzing her comments a bit. (Similar to the comments about Elena Radionova smiling in the second K&C at Europeans.) I don't think she was trying to put down her competition. I think she was displaying confidence, and I'm certainly not going to fault her for that.

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker
Pogorilaya and her Snoozebird LP is defiantly not a heavily favored bronze medalist like Elena and Liza are for gold and silver. I'm surprised people are saying she is. Bronze is defiantly the medal that is up for grabs.

I do agree with this. I don't think Anna is a lock for bronze. She's a strong candidate for bronze if she's able to skate well. But in terms of the medal favorites, Anna is at the bottom of the pile in terms of PCS and that's what will make the difference when she faces off against Ashley and Gracie. If she hits all of her jumps, Anna can put up a strong fight in TES, but unless Ashley or Gracie bomb, I don't see her coming out on top in PCS.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I do agree with this. I don't think Anna is a lock for bronze. She's a strong candidate for bronze if she's able to skate well. But in terms of the medal favorites, Anna is at the bottom of the pile in terms of PCS and that's what will make the difference when she faces off against Ashley and Gracie. If she hits all of her jumps, Anna can put up a strong fight in TES, but unless Ashley or Gracie bomb, I don't see her coming out on top in PCS.

My thoughts exactly. Anna is probably the most consistent of the three, but not by much, so I do think that Anna is more likely to finish behind one of Ashley or Gracie than to finish ahead of both. Plus the behind-the-scenes politics makes it hard for Russia to lobby for all three to make it on the podium unless Anna is clearly superior to the other challengers.

cruzceleste

Record Breaker
There is a special place in hell , where all figure skating fans will be made to listen and watching videos of themselves when they were 15-16. And this videos will play over the soundtrack of every war hourse piece in figure skating...

That will be fun...

donezo

On the Ice
After years of rooting for wilting flowers like Alissa Czisny and Mirai Nagasu, it is refreshing to have a U.S. lady who believes in herself so much. Is Polina a little delusional? Sure, but that can be a good thing in the skating world. If she didn't believe she was going to make the Olympic team last year (and I truly believe she never doubted she was going to make it), it wouldn't have happened. She skated like she owned it. It's been difficult to watch her struggle this season, but I think we can chalk it up to growing pains. 4CC was a promising step. Her packaging is a little juvenile, but let's face it. None of these girls are really that strong artistically. It's not like Mao or Carolina are still around. Polina is young, and she can develop her style. I think she has nice natural movements. The polish will come. That said, I'd be stunned if she finished higher than 6th at Worlds this year.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
After years of rooting for wilting flowers like Alissa Czisny and Mirai Nagasu, it is refreshing to have a U.S. lady who believes in herself so much.

To be fair, Mirai was no wilting flower at Polina's age. Polina has plenty to time to get better... or worse.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
After years of rooting for wilting flowers like Alissa Czisny and Mirai Nagasu, it is refreshing to have a U.S. lady who believes in herself so much. Is Polina a little delusional? Sure, but that can be a good thing in the skating world. If she didn't believe she was going to make the Olympic team last year (and I truly believe she never doubted she was going to make it), it wouldn't have happened. She skated like she owned it. It's been difficult to watch her struggle this season, but I think we can chalk it up to growing pains. 4CC was a promising step. Her packaging is a little juvenile, but let's face it. None of these girls are really that strong artistically. It's not like Mao or Carolina are still around. Polina is young, and she can develop her style. I think she has nice natural movements. The polish will come. That said, I'd be stunned if she finished higher than 6th at Worlds this year.

I can certainly see her place higher than 6th at Worlds. It's not like anyone other than Radionova/Tukt has been lighting it up (with occasionally good performances from Wagner/Pogorilaya). I'm predicting she ends up 5th. But a good distance from the podium. Had she given performances like at 4CC, she'd probably be in the 190 range, but now she's fighting to stay in mid-180's.

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
20 pages already. And someone said people pay no attention to Polina. :popcorn:

Well, this unexpected result at 4CC definitely sparked a debate here... but based on the last few pages of this thread, it seems the majority of the discussion is about Gracie/Ashley/Matoko & the top Russian ladies, and how they will all perform at Worlds.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
If she delivers two good performances at Worlds such as she did at 4CC, her PCS scores will go up and so will her overall scores, and this could continue on into next season. She will have finally "arrived". So it's great for her to have this mindset because confidence can only help her going forward.

BTW, 5th is not 'a good distance from the podium'. It's knocking on the door. Any new face in the top 6 is a potential future threat.

Last edited:

SoundtracksOnIce

On the Ice
I have never watched Tinkerbell, so I have no previous associations in my mind between the film and the music. The music did not sound 'Juniorish' to me. Polina was great at 4CC. A thoroughly deserved victory. Maybe others just don't like Polina as much as they like others here.

I don't understand the criticism for her music either. I don't think of maturity or lack thereof with her choice. Polina has a very delicate fragile appearance and so choosing delicate piano music like Tinkerbell suits her really well. Something like Carmen or even a Hans Zimmer score like Pirates or The Island would look too much for her - just like Pachilbel's Canon or Lyra Angelica wouldn't be "enough" for Ashley Wagner.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I don't understand the criticism for her music either. I don't think of maturity or lack thereof with her choice. Polina has a very delicate fragile appearance and so choosing delicate piano music like Tinkerbell suits her really well. Something like Carmen or even a Hans Zimmer score like Pirates or The Island would look too much for her - just like Pachilbel's Canon or Lyra Angelica wouldn't be "enough" for Ashley Wagner.

I went back and rewatched the program, focusing on the music. My initial impression had been lukewarm, but I think that was based on my head snapping when I heard she was skating to Tinkerbell.

On rewatch, the music was fine. It sounded like ballet music. Not my favorite style, but hardly worth the negative reaction I had at first. If it was same music, but with a fancypants name like "Piano Elegy to an Exotic Rose in Spring" by Von Shoopenhaur, no one would have batted an eye.

britebells

Rinkside
On rewatch, the music was fine. It sounded like ballet music. Not my favorite style, but hardly worth the negative reaction I had at first. If it was same music, but with a fancypants name like "Piano Elegy to an Exotic Rose in Spring" by Von Shoopenhaur, no one would have batted an eye.

ITA. I like the music, and I don't think that there's anything inherently "junior-ish" about it. I think the title throws people off.

I still don't like either of her costumes, but in the land of extremes I'd rather have overly-modest, younger looking costumes over some of the borderline inappropriate costumes we've seen (cough cough Sotnikova...)

Last edited:

Junstella

Rinkside
The real juniorish thing is pretending like a mature diva whereas one is still premature.
In that sense, Polina's both SP and LP should be one of the least juniorish this season(along with Wagner's Moulin Rouge)

shine

Record Breaker
I just saw this practice video from 4CC of Polina doing her SP runthrough. I thought it was great to see her in such a simple attire without the busy details that distract and break up her lines. In this video you can see that she really has one of the nicest carriages and lines, but the costumes this season really don't do her any favour.

http://youtu.be/AlT7ryLG_IA

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
YES! Simple costume, hair in chignon---she looks like a ballerina, not a bit gawky. It's the fussy costumes that make her look 'out of place'.

AsadaFanBoy

Final Flight
Yasss! I agree. Polina has excellent lines and carriage. To speak frankly, her jumps can be very good.

But what I'm confused about is why Anna Pogorilaya consistently scores a lot higher than she does. Anna's jumps are often landed sloppily. And Anna's spins are not good. No center, ugly positions, terrible line. And every time Anna puts an illusion in a combination spin, it's ruined, and she should get -2 or -3 for the entire spin because it's so cringe inducing. When she doesn't have a jumps meltdown Anna can be great.

So...it isn't surprising when Polina brings it up that she's doing the same content and she thinks she deserves more. If you compare Polina to Anna it's very clear. It is unfair when Polina does the same content but trails behind by 10+ points.

Cherryy

On the Ice
Well, some people will always be unsatisfied with skaters' music choices. When it comes to Gracie, lots of people complain that she's not skating to some energetic music but tries to be a ballerina on ice. Then when it comes to Polina, she's doing just this - chooses a music suitable for her. She's still a child, this music is delicate and suits her well yet people complain. What would you like her to skate to? Maybe Carmen or POTO? Kill Bill? :sarcasm: