2015 U.S. International Figure Skating Classic SLC General | Page 6 | Golden Skate

2015 U.S. International Figure Skating Classic SLC General

Turbo-Mom

On the Ice
We're getting ready to head over to Airport for flight to Salt Lake City - This was from interview last Saturday with Danielle Thomas and Daniel Eaton

We’re very excited about making our debut on the Challenger Series of Figure Skating and on Ice Network Television this coming Friday at the International Figure Skating Classic in Salt Lake City. The Challenger Series was established last year by the International Skating Union to provide adequate opportunities for all skaters to compete at the international senior level and earn World Standing points, so that they might qualify for the higher level Grand Prix of Figure Skating Events.
As a relatively new team, We both feel very blessed and very honored to be representing the United States of America. The emotion that you feel when you put on the Team USA Jacket for the first time is overwhelming. We hope that you approve and pray that we do not disappoint US Figure Skating or our friends and families. We especially want to thank Tracy Sheppard, Natalia Annenko, and Olena Morgan, who over the years, helped prepare us to team with each other. We also want to thank all our dance coaches in Canton, MI, especially Marina Zoueva, Massimo Scali, Oleg Epstein, and Johnny Johns, who have given so much to help us. Hope you enjoy our Cinderella Short Dance this coming Friday and hope that you won’t be disappointed.

In the words of Cinderella’s Fairy Godmother, “It’s Possible !”.
https://youtu.be/XgNqzussCPY
https://youtu.be/-YJpLh6rcMc

Last edited:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Challenge Skate starting orders have been posted. Junior and Novice, Men and Ladies.
http://www.usfigureskating.org/leaderboard/results/2015/20554/results.html

TaBF, belated thanks for getting USFS to fix the broken schedule PDF link yesterday.
Noticed today that you were the one who brought the bad link to its attention.

Last edited:

TanithandBenFan

On the Ice

Gia89

Spectator
thanks for the answer. It's realy pity, that we can't watch Scating Classic, where some intresting skaters will skate

A.H.Black

Final Flight
Saw Men's and Pairs practice this evening. Both were fun.

I was impressed with both Tanaka and Oma from Japan. I was sure Uno had injured himself with a wonky landing on a 3 axel, but he was smiling later on and landed another great quad so it must just have been the altitude or something. I like Tanaka's free program music - very effective. He didn't do a lot but the choreography make me want to see this program at full force. The Americans looked as expected. Timothy looks ready and his program look more polished than Miner and Dornbush. However, he is still struggling with his 3axel. He has quite broad shoulders - I think that affects his ability to get the harder jumps around. Both Ross and Richard look like this is the first competition of the season.

Pairs was fun. Only 7 pairs competing. I really like Castelli/Tran's free program. As an old Journey fan, I may find myself singing along at full volume. Tran cut his hand (I think) during the run-through and was working like crazy to get a bandage on it so they could continue with the parts they wanted to work on. He was playing around with the hand and the bandage for the rest of the practice. I also liked Kayne/O'Shea's free - I'm glad they chose the Phantom piece with Streisand as the female voice. I wonder if using one piece of music through-out will affect their program component marks. I wasn't as impressed with Donlan/Bartholomay - the Sinatra medley is all signature songs, but I don't think they work as well as they should for skating. One of the men also used Sinatra - much more effectively. None of the pairs looked in mid-season form. All of them have weaknesses that are noticeable. It will be a matter of fewest mistakes wins.

Way easy to get into this competition. I'm quite sure the crowds will be very small. For those watching on Ice Network, the entrance to the rink is at the top of the stands so most people sit at the top and the bottom looks very empty on video. I think we were the only 3 people there just to watch the skating. Everyone else seemed to be there with some official skating connection. I found the lists for novice and junior, but I see they have finally been posted online so I won't do it here.

Last edited:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
AH Black, if it's not too much trouble, how did Team Australia go? And Lukas?

tulosai

Record Breaker
I'm actually really excited to see some of the skaters at this event :) Thanks for the practice summaries!

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Thanks for the practice reports! Looking forward to the competition!

GO Shoma, Ricky and Ross!

Layback11

Record Breaker
Thanks for the report!

Go Satoko!

And Karen (who I literally just had a dream won SA)!

And Mariah!

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
Saw Men's and Pairs practice this evening. Both were fun.

I was impressed with both Tanaka and Oma from Japan. I was sure Uno had injured himself with a wonky landing on a 3 axel, but he was smiling later on and landed another great quad so it must just have been the altitude or something. I like Tanaka's free program music - very effective. He didn't do a lot but the choreography make me want to see this program at full force. The Americans looked as expected. Timothy looks ready and his program look more polished than Miner and Dornbush. However, he is still struggling with his 3axel. He has quite broad shoulders - I think that affects his ability to get the harder jumps around. Both Ross and Richard look like this is the first competition of the season.

Thanks...what about Daniel Samohin?

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
NOVICE LADIES SHORT PROGRAM RESULTS
1 Alexia PAGANINI 47.87
2 Paige CONNERS 42.22
3 Pooja KALYAN 41.44
4 Maxine BAUTISTA 41.30
5 Starr ANDREWS 40.70
6 Aurelia PERKINS 39.75
7 Ashley LIN 39.52
8 Gia KOKOTAKIS 38.46
9 Sierra VENETTA 37.28
10 Kaitlyn NGUYEN 34.99
11 Ashlee RAYMOND 33.35
12 Kassandra CARPENTIER 32.05
13 Chelsea MISCHUK 31.10
14 Liza HAYES 29.05
15 Tori BENNETT 28.32
16 Nhi DO 27.32

frida80

Record Breaker
NOVICE LADIES SHORT PROGRAM RESULTS
1 Alexia PAGANINI 47.87
2 Paige CONNERS 42.22
3 Pooja KALYAN 41.44
4 Maxine BAUTISTA 41.30
5 Starr ANDREWS 40.70
6 Aurelia PERKINS 39.75
7 Ashley LIN 39.52
8 Gia KOKOTAKIS 38.46
9 Sierra VENETTA 37.28
10 Kaitlyn NGUYEN 34.99
11 Ashlee RAYMOND 33.35
12 Kassandra CARPENTIER 32.05
13 Chelsea MISCHUK 31.10
14 Liza HAYES 29.05
15 Tori BENNETT 28.32
16 Nhi DO 27.32

I saw that Alexia has a 3T+3T combo fully rotated. But she's not on the team USA list. Any word about her?

Country
Russia
I see, now rules for US Novice are changed - added 1 point bonus to Base Value of any triple, even URed.

Is it only for this competition or for Qualifiers and Nationals too?

frida80

Record Breaker
I see, now rules for US Novice are changed - added 1 point bonus to Base Value of any triple, even URed.

I think it's for all of them. I guess it's to encourage girls to compete with a lot of triples. I'll look it up.

frida80

Record Breaker

It's not just for novice. It's for juvenile and intermediate as well! In Juvenile and Intermediate you only get a 1/2 point deduction when you fall. in Juvenile you get a point bonus for every 2A. In intermediate it's the same, except triples get 1 point bonuses too. In Novice you get bonuses for only triple jumps. You even get it even if it's underrotated.

I don't know how to feel about giving bonuses for underrotated jumps. I want them to learn, but that's a bad habit to start.

More information here.

http://www.usfsa.org/content/2015-16 Singles Juvenile - Novice Calling Clarifications v2 9 1 15.pdf

skatemomoftwo

Rinkside
Not a fan of the bonus. You see falls on other doubles and then a triple so they get the bonus.
My kids were on the ice yesterday with Alexia and she was being monitored.