2015 Skate Canada Mens Free Skate | Page 71 | Golden Skate

2015 Skate Canada Mens Free Skate

Interspectator

Record Breaker
I don't know where to share, but...

Yuzuru did spread eagle 4S spread eagle in gala practice: https://www.facebook.com/frances.kao.14/videos/1083542791678888/

And not just 4S, here is his spread eagle-3 turn-4T-spread eagle, video also by Frances Kao
https://www.facebook.com/frances.kao.14/videos/1083545115011989/

Of course he did these moves just for fun and those jumps look a bit tight in my eyes. But I wish if only one day he does one of these in competition.

-or we could say, when Yuzu is hungry, he puts all his jumps in an eagle sandwich. :laugh15:

HanDomi

Record Breaker
as much as i love his eagle sandwich, i'd like him to eat a couple ones ham and cheese ones :) maybe that would help with stamina ;)

I don't get all this comments about Hanyu and stamina. Most of skaters would be dead already after 3 quads he did, and he still managed after that 2x 3A, including combo and loop. He has amazing stamina for what he is able to do in his long programs, but it surely will go up even more later in the season to handle this layout better

i would call the performance art part of it as entertainment...

You don't consider the performing arts to be art? Don't you think that Meryl Streep is an artist? Misty Copeland? Barbra Streisand?

Conversely, when you go to the symphony, aren't you entertained? (If not, why go?)

Of course figure skating falls into the category of "Entertainment and Recreation." What else would it be, Mining and Manufacturing? Banking and Financial Services?

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
Well, I do think that the concept of "artistic maturity" is well-defined, although it takes a lot of words to try to pin it down. ;) It doesn't mean, "I like that better." Compare Beethoven's First Symphony to his Fifth. Or "I Wanna Hold Your Hand" with "Hey Jude."

Personally, I love "I Wanna Hold Your Hand," and this is my favorite Patrick Chan performance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xc2jXafZZws

And now I believe that I have pulled off the feat of convincing Chan fans that I don't like Patrick and Hanyu fans think that I don't like Yuzuru. Next week I will post about Javier Fernandez and go for a hat trick. :yes:

I don't think anyone believes you don't like Patrick/Yuzuru, and this is not what this is about.
If you decide this 'well defined but difficult to pin down' term is what makes you like/enjoy skaters that's fine, but I'd be weary to use it as a reason for the scoring - or at least to put it above other qualities. And when it gets used as the be all end all explanation for scores and standings... I can only disagree with that.

Interspectator

Record Breaker
I just think the word has been diluted by it's wide usage. It does not hold any sort of coherent meaning in ones mind. So while I understand what is meant by an 'artistic skater' what it means to me could be 70% different than what it means to another poster, or a judge. Whereas a landed jump, a centered spin, clean edge-work or transitions have less room for free-form interpretation.
I believe that 'art' does exist and is an important part of figure skating as an entertainment and as a draw for spectators to pay for tickets or subscribe to TV channels, but I don't think 'making art' needs to be the focus of competitive skaters. It happens as a by-product of good skating. Good skating includes jumps, spins, steps, choreography, music and the ability to move to the music well.

Picasso's great works still look like rubbish and his early sketches still look great to me. I'm that kind of philistine. :whack:

Last edited:

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I don't mind people opining when they think a skater is an artist but it's snobby to immediately bash skaters who have put out a great athletic performance as devoid of artistry, so so-and-so who made errors but is supposedly artistic deserves to have been closer.

Skating is an athletic competition first and foremost, and at the end of the day it should be who outskated who, not necessarily who outartisted who.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I don't know where to share, but...

Yuzuru did spread eagle 4S spread eagle in gala practice: https://www.facebook.com/frances.kao.14/videos/1083542791678888/

And not just 4S, here is his spread eagle-3 turn-4T-spread eagle, video also by Frances Kao
https://www.facebook.com/frances.kao.14/videos/1083545115011989/

Of course he did these moves just for fun and those jumps look a bit tight in my eyes. But I wish if only one day he does one of these in competition.

Incredible stuff! I'm almost certain he could go for a 4S+4T if he wanted to... His 4T is being reeled off with such ease (and lesser set up each time out) and he's progressively getting better flow and control out of his 4S. Hah one can hope!

Interspectator

Record Breaker
I don't mind people opining when they think a skater is an artist but it's snobby to immediately bash skaters who have put out a great athletic performance as devoid of artistry, so so-and-so who made errors but is supposedly artistic deserves to have been closer.

Skating is an athletic competition first and foremost, and at the end of the day it should be who outskated who, not necessarily who outartisted who.
We will see how this plot-line develops with the advent of Boyang Jin. -Much anticipated by me. :popcorn:

sloveniangirl

Match Penalty
I mean really? Yuzu is so beloved for some strange reason. He can jump, he's doll-baby cute and a spirited competitor, but NOT a complete skater. Quad rep, blind judges, wacky IJS-scoring, and politics are the only excuses for such high scores with errors. PCS should not be that high, and tech is overdone with mistakes too.

HATER discovered:angry2:

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
We will see how this plot-line develops with the advent of Boyang Jin. -Much anticipated by me. :popcorn:

If Jin goes clean and lands 4 quads and Fernandez does only 1, Jin deserves to win... I don't care how artistically superior Fernandez is than Jin. Even in the SP a clean SP by Jin with a quad lutz and second half quad toe deserves to be ahead of a one-quad skate by Yan.

But like I said, Jin could do 4 quads and there are folks on this forum who will immediately trivialize the achievement as "he's not an artist".

qwertyskates

Medalist
I don't get the criticisms of Chan's artistry, for the entire FP I didn't see a moment of lapse, even while he was doing amazing things with his feet, his movements and motions were perfectly performed to every nuance in the music, it's not "paste-on", whatever that may mean.

The dramatic facial and arm expressions of gold medalist skaters like Ashley's are surely "pasted on" and may be more fitting to an acting audition...though I would think that is passe even by Hollywood standards...while her feet are doing extremely simple, basic skating.

The only male skater who sports overt facial expressions is Javier, and his expressions are a "bonus" to his fantastic jumps and skating skills.

I don't mind Ashley's expressions if her jumps and SS are as impressive as other gold medalists, but she received insane PCS for a good many tiny ur jumps, and not many complained about her PCS, though personally I feel the sub par choreography, lack of difficult or interesting transitions, 2-footed skating, simple spin positions, and so-so/poor jumps do not deserve her high PCS.

Chan's arms may not be enough for the Bolshoi but he's being judged for his skating, not those other "bonus" traits.

Last edited:

Alex D

Record Breaker
Reading the past 10 pages or so, reminds me of some endless discussion I once had with my hamster. It was about him having a bit too much weight... From his perspective he was fine, I obviously disagreed and gave him less to eat so he got mad.

At the end of the day, there will be no agreement here. For some people FS is all about the technical aspects and for others it´s also about artistry and how you perform. You will never come together guys...

Interspectator

Record Breaker
I don't get the criticisms of Chan's artistry, for the entire FP I didn't see a moment of lapse, even while he was doing amazing things with his feet, his movements and motions were perfectly performed to every nuance in the music, it's not "paste-on", whatever that may mean.

The dramatic facial and arm expressions of skaters like Ashley's are surely "pasted-on" and may be more fitting to an acting audition...though I would think that is passe even for Hollywood...while her feet are doing extremely simple, basic skating.

The only male skater who sports overt facial expressions is Javier, and his expressions are a "bonus" to his fantastic jumps and skating skills.

I don't mind Ashley's expressions if her jumps and SS are as impressive as other gold medalists, but she received insane PCS for a good many tiny ur jumps, and not many complained about her PCS, though personally I feel the sub par choreography, lack of difficult or interesting transitions, 2-footed skating and so-so/poor jumps do not deserve her high PCS.

Chan's arms may not be enough for the Bolshoi but he's being judged for his skating, not those other "bonus" traits.

This is precisely the point. 'they' know well what they mean. It actually looks like that to them...in this the opinions will be different and no amount of explaining or debating will change a viewpoint unless its over a period of time. The same debate holds true for Ashley, Yuzuru, Denis, Elizaveta and all the skaters who have made it to the top or near the top of their field. I won't say that those who don't like a skaters style are all haters, because they actually have a reason to dislike something. It's about what a viewer values when they watch a skater.
What do you like to see in a program?
Speed?
Control?
Abandon?
Flexibility?
Posture?
Musicality?
Jumps?
Creativity?
Sharpness?
Smoothness?

In what order do you like these things?
When you find a skater that embodies the things you like to see in the order you like to see them, they become a favorite.

matmuh

what are levels anyway
Record Breaker
Reading the past 10 pages or so, reminds me of some endless discussion I once had with my hamster. It was about him having a bit too much weight... From his perspective he was fine, I obviously disagreed and gave him less to eat so he got mad.

sounds like very interesting and productive discussion :biggrin:

qwertyskates

Medalist
This is precisely the point. 'they' know well what they mean. It actually looks like that to them...in this the opinions will be different and no amount of explaining or debating will change a viewpoint unless its over a period of time. The same debate holds true for Ashley, Yuzuru, Denis, Elizaveta and all the skaters who have made it to the top or near the top of their field. I won't say that those who don't like a skaters style are all haters, because they actually have a reason to dislike something. It's about what a viewer values when they watch a skater.
What do you like to see in a program?
Speed?
Control?
Abandon?
Flexibility?
Posture?
Musicality?
Jumps?
Creativity?
Sharpness?
Smoothness?

In what order do you like these things?
When you find a skater that embodies the things you like to see in the order you like to see them, they become a favorite.

To me, it's always about the skating, so I watch for all the qualities pertaining to good skating, which actually include all of those criteria you listed. Jason is another skater who is weaker in jumps and TES and he gets really high PCS, but he embodies much more in his skating than his cute and adorable persona. I don't agree with his super high PCS but his skating skills are good, he has great spins, musicality, etc. and I am ok with the superhigh PCS.

I'm really bothered if costumes, facial and arm expressions are getting higher PCS because of their "show" quality and popularity with audiences.:palmf:

Last edited: