Patrick Chan | Page 195 | Golden Skate

Patrick Chan

qwertyskates

Medalist
Happy Holidays! I am back and enjoy reading insightful posts here while I was away.
Yes, I am ready to join the discussion on his SP this season. (sorry for being late! I was quite obsessed with his LP all along.)

I find there are a lot to admire in his SP. My favorite was his SP at the TEB where he got the spirit and mood right and perfected his timing on steps, spins, and jumps (except the combo). He was on point and he showed the flawless master's skating. (He seemed slightly rough at the SC; nerves from the mistakes had gotten to him at the Final despite the masterful SS.)

I agree it is clearly very challenging program and music. I got a feeling that he was performing a tap-dance on the ice. Jumps and spins are just parts of the entire dance/footwork sequence. The beginning, the joyful steps and hops to the rhythm of the music leads to 4T-3T. Well, that to me is a transition he is working on. It is hard to isolate the transition from rest of his footworks, or the programs. His programs are FULL of dance moves and footworks to every beat and note, and he is skating to it with style and polish. It is ambitious, yet this is something only he can do. It will be a stepping stone for him later on regardless he goes clean or not this season.

We shall see.:) In that sense, I want to see him skate to VB's pick : Nina Simone's "Feeling Good" as a gala piece next season.

Thanks MIM, and season's greetings to you and everyone here!:thank::ghug:

May the new year bring joy, good health and lots of stunning skating!

I agree with you about all the difficult footwork in the SP, coupled with an upbeat tempo, it's actually not an easy piece to skate to. Sadly, I don't see the audience's getting it - they didn't cheer or clap like they do for other skaters, eg. going wild over Shoma's cantilever, and they thought Patrick performed fewer transitions! :hpull:

Maybe Lori can finesse the choreography, but could it be a jazzy piece like MTK doesn't bring on the big guns emotionally? Max picked SwanLake to make up for his artistry and it seemed to work when he hit the big jumps at the points of crescendo in the music, they really make his program seem loftier.

I know we all enjoy his "happy feet", but I really want to see that SS translate into an avalanche of +GOEs for his TES. If his programs aren't so fast, so laden, will Patrick be better prepared for his quads, add transitions in and out of them?

i notice for MTK he had problems with his combo and 3a because he lacked time to set them up properly. This is why for his next SP, I wonder if he can pace himself with slower moves, eg. spread eagles (his beautiful SE in Chopin are so fast), cantilevers and save the high energy steps for the step sequence? A slower music might do it, give him more room to prepare his jumps, but it has to be slow but emotionally powerful, to match Patrick's own power and expansiveness in his skating. I can imagine how Patrick can carry not just every note, but every word of a powerful song, gives me goosebumps to just imagine it!:love:

Btw, out of curiosity, can skaters sort of "book" their music in advance? What if another skater decides to use it? Is it a problem if they "clash"? Remembering all the POTOs last year...

Last edited:

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
It's not easy to understand Patrick's troubles with MTK. He skated to jazzy numbers before beautifully, and he skated and acted in crowd appealing entertaining programs before, including the competition program Take 5, with its unique quintuple time that's very difficult to perform to. He is able to skate to MTK's musical rhythm, as evidenced by the beautiful transitions and step sequence. But he has problems with the jumps, which he is completely capable of landing, as evidenced by the LP.

It leaves two possible causes, jump choreography and/or mental issues. He may need proper and adequate setup times for each jumping pass that the packed program does not allow. In a tight SP, the domino effect can happen with the first jump problem. Patrick may need to go back to Wilson to work it out.

Mentally, it does not seem to be due to nerves, especially at TEB, though a sub par SP quite likely contributed to and exacerbated the stress and pressure for the LP. Maybe he has not found the song easy to relate to. It seems he picked the theme of "Mackie is back in town" for his comeback and probably for the power ballard music as well. But the entire lyric about a serial killer may not be easy to relate to or ignore. Should he just skate to the music or should the words matter? As I suggested before, his choice of costume may reflect the confusion/indecision as it portrays neither the song's character nor the singer but seemingly to the era of another singer of MTK. As well, the under-performances may reduce the confident "I'm back!" into a bravado in his mind.

I suggested and I hope Patrick will make the program about himself being a metaphorical serial slayer of inner demons and obstructing issues of his comeback. Turn it into an inspiration and a character he can relate to and portray.

qwertyskates

Medalist
VB, totally agree, Take 5 is so difficult to skate to, and his programs are packed full of intricate and difficult steps. MTK sounds like an easy, happy jazzy piece but it's about a killer after all. I think it can be fun and cool in the Tarantino way, but Patrick's looking very unkiller-like...:confused:

I still don't get the impact the song brings...and Patrick's expression of it. I think I preferred his 4 Seasons, Rachmaninoff, Tango, Chopin, to the "boyish" persona.

My favourite comment from the Eurosport guys at SC LP was "Patrick shows what it's like to skate like a man!" It reminds me so much of what I felt when I saw Maria B's winning SP St James Blues, "Wow...she's showing the girls what it means to skate like a woman, all woman!" It's confidence, not bravado, blinding brilliance...and sexy as hell, without being coy or pretentious.

Even the juniors-to-seniors crop like Shoma and Jin are trying to skate "older", Patrick mustn't look younger than them, look at Mao, she's far better when she doesn't do "cute" anymore and fully embrace her maturity and her seniority against the likes of Satoko, another petite skater eager to move to the adult league.

Patrick's incredible hops, jumps, taps, clicks, etc. should all be there even if it's to a more grown-up and soulful piece, but done with enough dramatic pauses, contrast, gesture and force to make the audience *notice*. Make every one of them count.

The problem with a packed program is that there were so many difficult steps and moves that we can't remember them, they go by in a whirr, and there's no foil, no contrast, in order to understand better how gorgeous and difficult they are. Audiences remember them better when they are serially performed as transitions before/after the big elements like jumps and spins, in clusters. They are more forgiving when there are empty parts in between these high impact clusters, eg. Ashley's LP, which provide rests and pauses. Another thing is of course how to lay them all out and space them to snowball those TES.

Anyway, if Patrick were to perform to MTK again, he ought to really commit to it, be a real Tarantino character, acting the part. Didn't Julia L perform to Kill Bill? It's fine, it's performing the persona of the song, he must fully embrace his programs, be at peace with it.

Last edited:

MIM

Medalist
I agree with you about all the difficult footwork in the SP, coupled with an upbeat tempo, it's actually not an easy piece to skate to. Sadly, I don't see the audience's getting it - they didn't cheer or clap like they do for other skaters, eg. going wild over Shoma's cantilever, and they thought Patrick performed fewer transitions! :hpull:

Maybe Lori can finesse the choreography, but could it be a jazzy piece like MTK doesn't bring on the big guns emotionally? Max picked SwanLake to make up for his artistry and it seemed to work when he hit the big jumps at the points of crescendo in the music, they really make his program seem loftier.

I know we all enjoy his "happy feet", but I really want to see that SS translate into an avalanche of +GOEs for his TES. If his programs aren't so fast, so laden, will Patrick be better prepared for his quads, add transitions in and out of them?

i notice for MTK he had problems with his combo and 3a because he lacked time to set them up properly. This is why for his next SP, I wonder if he can pace himself with slower moves, eg. spread eagles (his beautiful SE in Chopin are so fast), cantilevers and save the high energy steps for the step sequence? A slower music might do it, give him more room to prepare his jumps, but it has to be slow but emotionally powerful, to match Patrick's own power and expansiveness in his skating.

There certainly are some moves that appeal to the mass for cheers and supports. They give dynamics to the program effectively.
But the only thing that bothers me is the moves are quite formulaic in the current figure skating scene where a magic formula-dramatic moves- goes to every music and program. I remain skeptical of overusing it or, placing it without considering its context. I love how John Curry used spread eagle and Ina Bauer in his Nocturne program. One foot gliding to spread eagle to ina bauer is beautifully integrated in the program and connects to upcoming steps. What made John Curry artist on the ice is not only certain dramatic moves he is doing, but the mood he generates by controlling and holding the position- there is no overdoing and overselling.

I know there are warhorse music and moves that may be perceived as being artistic. But, when you are a poet, instead of relying on commercial, or patterned expressions, you write your own poem. My interpretation of "Happy Feet" is that Patrick has the most abundant vocabularies that he can write with his blades and is capable of speaking the language fluently. As a young athlete who has learned compulsory figures in his young age and competed with "old school" skaters like Jeff Buttle and Stephane Lambiel, he more than anyone understands the importance of having and using his own language/vocabulary(ref. TSL interview with Lambiel). it is encouraging that he is not seeing the SS just one out of 5 PCs. He is using his SS and musicality to be his transition, interpretation, choreography, performance. As vivley said in the post before, it is a feat!

I know it is frustrating as Patrick's fan sometimes; his artistic vision is high and the current rules and demanding technical requirements make even harder to achieve it without some sacrifices (i.e. low early season scores, or hurt confidence). He is not perfect yet; I am sure it will be rewarded very high once he goes clean.

I can imagine how Patrick can carry not just every note, but every word of a powerful song, gives me goosebumps to just imagine it!:love:
Btw, out of curiosity, can skaters sort of "book" their music in advance? What if another skater decides to use it? Is it a problem if they "clash"? Remembering all the POTOs last year..
My guess is no... I think there are handful music editors(?) working closely with FS choreographers(also, quite a few). It should be a small circle. So, I think it is hard to stop any fresh/enlightening music choice by one skater from affecting other skaters' pick on their music.

It's not easy to understand Patrick's troubles with MTK. He skated to jazzy numbers before beautifully, and he skated and acted in crowd appealing entertaining programs before, including the competition program Take 5, with its unique quintuple time that's very difficult to perform to. He is able to skate to MTK's musical rhythm, as evidenced by the beautiful transitions and step sequence. But he has problems with the jumps, which he is completely capable of landing, as evidenced by the LP.

It leaves two possible causes, jump choreography and/or mental issues. He may need proper and adequate setup times for each jumping pass that the packed program does not allow. In a tight SP, the domino effect can happen with the first jump problem. Patrick may need to go back to Wilson to work it out.

Mentally, it does not seem to be due to nerves, especially at TEB, though a sub par SP quite likely contributed to and exacerbated the stress and pressure for the LP. Maybe he has not found the song easy to relate to. It seems he picked the theme of "Mackie is back in town" for his comeback and probably for the power ballard music as well. But the entire lyric about a serial killer may not be easy to relate to or ignore. Should he just skate to the music or should the words matter? As I suggested before, his choice of costume may reflect the confusion/indecision as it portrays neither the song's character nor the singer but seemingly to the era of another singer of MTK. As well, the under-performances may reduce the confident "I'm back!" into a bravado in his mind.

I suggested and I hope Patrick will make the program about himself being a metaphorical serial slayer of inner demons and obstructing issues of his comeback. Turn it into an inspiration and a character he can relate to and portray.

I fully understand your analysis.
Jump choreography can be a pattern that he has been working on for years. It is hard to break and re-learn. But he is trying in his SP. And I think he will make the choreography vary for every program whatever music calls for. His Take Five is such a witty and smart piece, which set him apart from the rest. I thought it was one of a kind that only he can do. I am sure if he repeats the Take 5 clean, he will score much higher. Now comparing it to MTK, I see his maturity and freedom in everything; interpretation, movement, challenging and creative entrance to jumps etc.

He picked MTK. I am certain there is something that calls for his attention to be his SP in the come-back season (i.e. light hearted, casual, musical, humorous?) I agree whatever that spark was, he should bring it back and put it together. He has second half season to go.

Per Jeff B's interview with TSL in 2013, he shared some ideas of being a choreographer of Patrick. As a choreographer he has an idea or something he wants a skater to do. But, often he has to simplify it, because it is not possible, or the skater cannot do that just yet. With Patrick, it is amazing whatever Jeff wants to see him do, he can do.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
As usual, qwertyskates and MIM are thoughtful and analytical in their posts. Instead of quoting, I'd throw in my opinions on some of the issues in the recent discussion.

Choreography: Patrick goes beyond doing what Jeff or any choreographer wants to see him do. Both Kurt and Jeff have expressed their surprise at his huge and effortless skating that they only got to personally and experientially realize beyond prior knowledge while choreographing for him. Jeff took out stroking because Patrick needed just 1 or 2 strokes to get where Jeff had intended with three.

Watching Elegie in the video segment MIM linked, I'm captured anew by Patrick's sublime skating and musical expression. He was one with the music and performance. MTK, however, is choreographed by David Wilson. In fact, this is the first time Patrick has both his competitive programs in the same season by David. Patrick had great success with Jeff's Elegie and with programs by Jeff and David in the 2013-14 season. Maybe it would be smart to have the two programs by two choreographers?

Patrick has gone back to his choreographers before to modify his jump choreo to suit him better. With Lori, it was often to incorporate harder jumps as he progressed through the season. There was no straight place holder for him to simply replace with another jump. Along the way, he was to execute the highest BV he could confidently count on. So I wonder if the 3T in his current LP a place holder or a design error as Tat pointed out. In any case, I hope he is comfortable with MTK now or very soon with whatever it takes, and that there will be no more place holder in his LP.

Another note about choreographies, Patrick has the talents to interpret and express piano music even though it's often too abstract for most others while portrayal of a character is usually more appealing to the audience, especially with the music and the character from a popular movie. Lori was clever to weave a story and a character into a non movie music for Patrick and he really got into the characters in such programs. MTK character is not well known, nor sympathetic, and often ignored in the appreciation of the catchy song, and David's choreo seems to go with the music instead of the lyrics. Yet Patrick had picked the line "Mackie is back in town" in the lyrics to connect to. Hence the dilemma, perhaps?

Under appreciation: It has been stated so often by experts including some of the best skaters that Patrick makes the most difficult look easy. It is the highest compliments but also a problem in competitions. Surely judges knows this well, as many of them have expressed the sentiment with awe and respect, but they also seem to be influenced by the excitement level in the arena as they watch and dole out points. Audiences enjoy and applaud all kinds of shows of skills and expressions regardless of difficulty levels. As well, their reactions are not always 100% based on the performance but tinted with personal connection with the skater, be it because of sex god worship or maternal feelings for an adorable man child. Patrick's pure skating is under appreciated, as it has always been, and it puts him at a disadvantage when he does not enjoy a huge lead like he did.

In constructing and performing a program, how much consideration should be paid to what pays beyond the BV?

I will save the discussion about Patrick's probable mental state, including conflict of intrinsic and extrinsic values and motivations in another post

Last edited:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
elegie is one of my favourite programs...

take five too...

he has a wide range of musical potential... his connection to piano music probably comes from the fact that he did reach a basic level of playing as a kid... strangely enough, from the videos I have seen, his musicality on the piano is not as great as when he skates to piano music.

What I think for what it's worth : Patrick's skating when we look at musical connection is different from most. It is felt and projected through the entire body, and totally grounded. This works really well in classical music, even in Jazz... but with lyrics, when it is story telling, we expect more of a local musical interpretation than a global musical interpretation... MTK is a simple tune.... with a few simple chords... there is very little substance in the piece (cabaret style piece) other than in its lyrics.... and well, I don't think Patrick is skating to the words here... (and I hope he doesn't start to do that ... I don't particularly find literal interpretations very interesting.... )

So, unless he brings back take 5 or elegie for WC :) let's just hope he is NOT keeping this SP for another year... I actually like it... but I think that it doesn't allow him to skate the way he is comfortable with.... and connect with the piece.

sigh... just woke up... i hope i make sense.

Last edited:

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
elegie is one of my favourite programs...

take five too...

he has a wide range of musical potential... his connection to piano music probably comes from the fact that he did reach a basic level of playing as a kid... strangely enough, from the videos I have seen, his musicality on the piano is not as great as when he skates to piano music.

What I think for what it's worth : Patrick's skating when we look at musical connection is different from most. It is felt and projected through the entire body, and totally grounded. This works really good in classical music, even in Jazz... but with lyrics, when it is story telling, we expect more of a local musical interpretation than a global musical interpretation... MTK is a simple tune.... with a few simple chords... there is very little substance in the piece (cabaret style piece) other than it its lyrics.... and well, I don't think Patrick is skating to the words here... (and I hope he doesn't start to do that ... I don't particularly find literal interpretations very interesting.... )

So, unless he brings back take 5 or elegie for WC :) let's just hope he is NOT keeping this SP for another year... I actually like it... but I think that it doesn't allow him to skate the way he is comfortable with.... and connect with the piece.

sigh... just woke up... i hope i make sense.

Yes. A lot.

blueberryhill

On the Ice
Thanks MIM, qwertyskates and Violet Bliss for keeping the conversation going when the rest of us are clearly still in holiday mode.

I feel that Lori Nichols uses too many musical warhorses and I found that in her programs Patrick had too many extraneous arm movements. Maybe Patrick's refinement in that area is a credit to Kathy Johnson's influence, but seeing that both Evan Lysacek and Gracie Gold have "flailing arms" maybe its Lori's choreography. Having said that about Lori, I will always love Tango de los Exiladoes. Whenever I re-watch that I think of that as Patrick's time of youthful exuberance. I remember one the the Eurosport guys saying "I can watch this all day!". (MIM, you're right about Denis Ten, he seems to be the exception to the rule; I admire his choice of music. I also liked Lori's work with Carolina Kostner.)

I love Jeff Buttle because I find his music choices as both a skater and choreographer to be unmatched.
No overused music here. I almost feel that Elegie was something that Jeff wanted to do himself but gave to Patrick as a gift.

As for David Wilson his body of work speaks for itself. However, I think the program that gave Patrick the most problems was his 2012/13 La Boheme. I remember Patrick saying he had to rework quite a bit just before worlds.

(MIM, all that work to link John Curry's Nocturne was for naught. It is blocked by SME.:( )

Last edited:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Thanks MIM, qwertyskates and Violet Bliss for keeping the conversation going when the rest of us are clearly still in holiday mode.

I feel that Lori Nichols uses too many musical warhorses and I found that in her programs Patrick had too many extraneous arm movements. Maybe Patrick's refinement in that area is a credit to Kathy Johnson's influence, but seeing that both Evan Lysacek and Gracie Gold have "flailing arms" maybe its Lori's choreography. Having said that about Lori, I will always love Tango de los Exiladoes. Whenever I re-watch that I think of that as Patrick's time of youthful exuberance. I remember one the the Eurosport guys saying "I can watch this all day!". (MIM, you're right about Denis Ten, he seems to be the exception to the rule; I admire his choice of music. I also liked Lori's work with Carolina Kostner.)

I love Jeff Buttle because I find his music choices as both a skater and choreographer to be unmatched.
No overused music here. I almost feel that Elegie was something that Jeff wanted to do himself but gave to Patrick as a gift.

As for David Wilson his body of work speaks for itself. However, I think the program that gave Patrick the most problems was his 2012/13 La Boheme. I remember Patrick saying he had to rework quite a bit just before worlds.

(VB, all that work to link John Curry's Nocturne was for naught. It is blocked by SME.:( )

what i bolded.... jeff has stellar musical taste, which he applies when he creates programs.... I wish these two worked ALWAYS together ;)

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Jeff Buttle does not have the body of work like David Wilson but I just checked his luminous client list and realize he is an established career choreographer. He started out with excellent work with excellent skaters, gaining reputation and elite clients quickly. What he has done for Patrick is stellar. His choreography is elegant, intricate, and quietly expressive. IOW, it fits Patrick perfectly showcasing Patrick's exceptional abilities. Maybe he understands Patrick's skating well because he had a similar skating style as Patrick's and was a top competitive skater himself.

I remember Patrick needed to rework his 2012-13 program with Wilson as well. It could be expected as it was their first collaboration. I feel the comeback programs are extremely important and needed to be very carefully chosen and choreographed for easing back into competition and to remind fans of his strengths. The LP was tested very positively the year before and has proven to be an excellent choice. If only the SP is as well suited to him as the LP and not the nemesis of the season...........

vivley

"pcskatingfan.com"
Medalist

I second that, and also to you and Calica, golden411icecoverage, SamL and 4everchan as well! And I hope all here had a good holiday. I enjoyed seeing the photos of Patrick and the Blackmer family.

elegie is one of my favourite programs... take five too...

What I think for what it's worth : Patrick's skating when we look at musical connection is different from most. It is felt and projected through the entire body, and totally grounded. This works really well in classical music, even in Jazz... but with lyrics, when it is story telling, we expect more of a local musical interpretation than a global musical interpretation... MTK is a simple tune.... with a few simple chords... there is very little substance in the piece (cabaret style piece) other than in its lyrics.... and well, I don't think Patrick is skating to the words here... (and I hope he doesn't start to do that ... I don't particularly find literal interpretations very interesting.... )

Elegie is one of my favorites, too. You're right that he is not skating to the lyrics of MTK (he would need to act way more sinister ;)). The other problem with MTK is that the music and the way he skates to it seems all lighthearted and fun, but the lyrics are not like that at all. I went back and listened to Michael Buble's entire song and noticed that Patrick cut out a few sections, but he still left this part in:

"There's a tugboat, huh, huh, down by the river don'tcha know
Where a cement bag's just a'drooppin' on down
Oh, that cement is just, it's there for the weight, dear
Five'll get ya ten old Macky's back in town"

It's definitely a gangster's song, but with the sections Patrick left out of his performance, there's not much of a story left and the lyrics don't mean much, either. I wonder if Patrick shouldn't skate to an instrumental version of Buble's MTK instead? Then he could focus more on his showmanship without having to worry about storytelling or lyric interpretation. Or... he could watch a few Hong Kong action movies and The Godfather and channel his inner gangster... :laugh:

-----------

Just a note on the Chopin program (I was watching both versions today) - I noticed that at GPF during his first spins before the second half of his program, Patrick's hand gestures (positions) were reversed from the way he did it at Skate Canada. They seemed like they were added after he started spinning? Nevertheless, they were so beautiful that I don't think anyone noticed.

-----------

Japanese fan posted this photo of Patrick during GPF practice:

https://twitter.com/imoimo_gu/status/681464747670110208

I think they said they became an unexpectedly big fan of Patrick's.

Last edited:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Mack the Knife is from Kurt Weill ... German Jewish composer who had to live in exile in the 1930s... so from Berlin to Paris to NYC. So yeah, if Patrick were to really think about the lyrics, which I don't think the program was based on at all, I'd recommend for him to look at old gangster movies from the 1920-40s... rather than HK movies ;)

he could also go to a cabaret show..... he could certainly though get a better outfit... i am afraid his hair doesn't fit the style and that fedoras aren't allowed.

i said it before, it's a song I have to play and I am still surprised by its choice ;) but I think that by the end of they year, Patrick will convince us that the choice was a good one... it may not be our favourite ever program but that's okay.... the Chopin makes up for it.
I second that, and also to you and Calica, golden411icecoverage, SamL and 4everchan as well! And I hope all here had a good holiday. I enjoyed seeing the photos of Patrick and the Blackmer family.

Elegie is one of my favorites, too. You're right that he is not skating to the lyrics of MTK (he would need to act way more sinister ;)). The other problem with MTK is that the music and the way he skates to it seems all lighthearted and fun, but the lyrics are not like that at all. I went back and listened to Michael Buble's entire song and noticed that Patrick cut out a few sections, but he still left this part in:

"There's a tugboat, huh, huh, down by the river don'tcha know
Where a cement bag's just a'drooppin' on down
Oh, that cement is just, it's there for the weight, dear
Five'll get ya ten old Macky's back in town"

It's definitely a gangster's song, but with the sections Patrick left out of his performance, there's not much of a story left and the lyrics don't mean much, either. I wonder if Patrick shouldn't skate to an instrumental version of Buble's MTK instead? Then he could focus more on his showmanship without having to worry about storytelling or lyric interpretation. Or... he could watch a few Hong Kong action movies and The Godfather and channel his inner gangster... :laugh:

-----------

Just a note on the Chopin program (I was watching both versions today) - I noticed that at GPF during his first spins before the second half of his program, Patrick's hand gestures (positions) were reversed from the way he did it at Skate Canada. They seemed like they were added after he started spinning? Nevertheless, they were so beautiful that I don't think anyone noticed.

-----------

Japanese fan posted this photo of Patrick during GPF practice:

https://twitter.com/imoimo_gu/status/681464747670110208

I think they said they became an unexpectedly big fan of Patrick's.

Last edited:

qwertyskates

Medalist
Dear you, MIM, VB, blueberryhill, 4everchan, vivley, dear fans of Patrick, I feel fortunate to have such a knowledgeable, thoughtful and intelligent group here discussing with depth and details quietly and supportively for Patrick. This has been one of the best experiences for me on the GS forums, I'm learning so much from you all.

Why did it take me so long to hang out here? I am actually a fan of various skaters including those in the top tier as I've always found something in their skating I admire, even if they fell short in other areas. So i hardly posted on Fans' threads, just happy to lurk. However, this GP....I suddenly felt a horrible dread that Patrick has been dealt an unkind hand, not so much for his problems and lowered scores, absence from podium, etc, but at the utter lack of appreciation and understanding for what he delivers, the lack of sympathy and decency from many quarters. I realize how much his skating means to me after all - I can't bear the thought of not seeing the beautiful skating he delivers, the only one capable of such seamless, sublime skating.

Thank you MIM for John Curry's gorgeous Nocturne video (link didn't work for me but I found another site), learning so much from these amazing top artists of the sport:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFkRmLC8Stg

- there were so many anemic nocturnes, claire de lune, moonlight sonata, but none like this. These moves spread eagles, ina bauers, etc. are so seamlessly integrated, the program casts a mesmerizing moonlight spell, you hardly even notice them, the positions held and suspended in time, on one foot, showing complete mastery and control, audience speechless, forgetting and oblivious, no clapping or cheers, all you feel are the pangs in the heart at the beauty before your eyes, the impeccable SS in service of an otherworldly expression by the skater, who is a channel for something almost divine.

This was also what I felt watching Patrick's Elegie at TEB, it brought tears and the heart hurt. The silence in the arena was so palpable, the sound of Patrick's blade was haunting. It's a dream from which I do not wish to be woken.:drama:

Count mine as another vote for Elegie!

MTK didn't do that for me, Patrick's presence just wasn't as vivid, despite his great SS. Can he not do like what Tut did, i.e. switched to her previous SP Bolero when Carmina Burana overwhelmed her?

Like you, I have always been a fan of Jeff Buttle - I sometimes believe that you can read a skater's character when he or she skates, and Jeff has shown nothing except pure class, the greatest spirit, deepest decency and soul in his *expansive* and generous skating. I got into some trouble when I referred to his Adios Noninos as the most compelling Step Sequence to this piece ever performed by a skater, compared to David Wilson's version. Just *wow*::love:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fsphwWu1B2s

He was right when he said Patrick is the only one who can deliver what he has in mind for a choreography, just speechless at Elegie - I've seen others skated by lesser skaters (no names!) and they were disastrous.

So yes, a definite vote for Jeff Buttle's choreography for a more moving SP please!

However, I have one question for you all as yet unanswered...how to snowball those TES? A quad combo with transitions gets close to 20 pts.

Unfortunately SS is just a measley 10 points even when delivered to perfection....

Why is a highly difficult quality such as seamlessness, the kind in Nocturne and Elegie, not rewarded, but audience's wild cheers help raise PCS?

I am loathed to wake up from the dream but we have to face the reality of the numbers game. :(

Last edited:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
qwerty, do not wake up!!!!!!! just dream… who cares about the numbers… patrick has won it all…. plus our hearts :) keep dreaming… keep listening to the sound of his blades on the ice. (beautiful post you wrote there… thank you… and yes, this is THE thread on the forum where to hang out)

qwertyskates

Medalist
qwerty, do not wake up!!!!!!! just dream… who cares about the numbers… patrick has won it all…. plus our hearts :) keep dreaming… keep listening to the sound of his blades on the ice. (beautiful post you wrote there… thank you… and yes, this is THE thread on the forum where to hang out)

Thanks 4everchan, I won't give up on Patrick getting back on the podium, not yet, as I know he really is different and special, he is heir to the substance in skating, so I'm looking forward to numbers crunching!:agree:

vivley

"pcskatingfan.com"
Medalist
i said it before, it's a song I have to play and I am still surprised by its choice ;)

You know how to play this song? Could you play a nice instrumental version for Patrick to skate to, then? :biggrin:

Dear you, MIM, VB, blueberryhill, 4everchan, vivley, dear fans of Patrick, I feel fortunate to have such a knowledgeable, thoughtful and intelligent group here discussing with depth and details quietly and supportively for Patrick. This has been one of the best experiences for me on the GS forums, I'm learning so much from you all.

Why did it take me so long to hang out here? I am actually a fan of various skaters including those in the top tier as I've always found something in their skating I admire, even if they fell short in other areas. So i hardly posted on Fans' threads, just happy to lurk. However, this GP....I suddenly felt a horrible dread that Patrick has been dealt an unkind hand, not so much for his problems and lowered scores, absence from podium, etc, but at the utter lack of appreciation and understanding for what he delivers, the lack of sympathy and decency from many quarters. I realize how much his skating means to me after all - I can't bear the thought of not seeing the beautiful skating he delivers, the only one capable of such seamless, sublime skating.

Thank you MIM for John Curry's gorgeous Nocturne video (link didn't work for me but I found another site), learning so much from these amazing top artists of the sport:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFkRmLC8Stg

This was also what I felt watching Patrick's Elegie at TEB, it brought tears and the heart hurt. The silence in the arena was so palpable, the sound of Patrick's blade was haunting. Count mine as another vote for Elegie!
Can he not do like what Tut did, i.e. switched to her previous SP Bolero when Carmina Burana overwhelmed her?

However, I have one question for you all as yet unanswered...how to snowball those TES? A quad combo with transitions gets close to 20 pts.

Why is a highly difficult quality such as seamlessness, the kind in Nocturne and Elegie, not rewarded, but audience's wild cheers help raise PCS?

I am loathed to wake up from the dream but we have to face the reality of the numbers game. :(

And I'm so glad that you're here, Quertyskates! Ironically, I think that this GP has garnered Patrick some more fans like you! His sublime skating is a refreshing contrast in performance that is needed in today's points-driven atmosphere. I had heard good things about John Curry before, and watching the video you posted only confirmed this. I love the way that he took his time and was in no rush at all to deliver every step and nuance of his performance. My hope is that Patrick can skate in the same unhurried, awe-inspiring way, even if he is going across the ice three times faster than Curry ever did. There's nothing like seeing that beauty and sense of calm from a masterful performance.

As for his TES, I was just watching the 2013 TEB FS, and I think he should first build back up to 100+ points like he got there, and then add more difficulty if he wants to. I believe he can do it!

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
HEHE if ever i were asked to play live for Patrick, I would trick him playing Elegie instead :) great skating from Curry…. beautiful edges and carriage… funny enough, I have played and taught that Grieg Nocturne often too.

As for TES… replacing the 3T by a 4T will give him about 6 points, which would be make him reach 102, based on what he got at GPF (96) so that would be a good start… Javi got about 102 if I am not mistaken.
You know how to play this song? Could you play a nice instrumental version for Patrick to skate to, then? :biggrin:

And I'm so glad that you're here, Quertyskates! Ironically, I think that this GP has garnered Patrick some more fans like you! His sublime skating is a refreshing contrast in performance that is needed in today's points-driven atmosphere. I had heard good things about John Curry before, and watching the video you posted only confirmed this. I love the way that he took his time and was in no rush at all to deliver every step and nuance of his performance. My hope is that Patrick can skate in the same unhurried, awe-inspiring way, even if he is going across the ice three times faster than Curry ever did. There's nothing like seeing that beauty and sense of calm from a masterful performance.

As for his TES, I was just watching the 2013 TEB FS, and I think he should first build back up to 100+ points like he got there, and then add more difficulty if he wants to. I believe he can do it!