Patrick Chan | Page 200 | Golden Skate

Patrick Chan

blueberryhill

On the Ice
Much thought went into the selection of the seat choice. Since my relation knew the layout of the arena well (zamboni, dressing room entrances, ice access) we were able to deduce where the judges and kiss and cry was. It was fifty-fifty where the combo would be.

You got a sweet deal, Blueberryhill! You even knew where to sit. :) My apologies if you have shared on this forum before, but I would be most interested to hear about your on-the-ground experiences of seeing Patrick live!
There's one story I've always wanted to share because it was eye-opening for me. What a day in the life of Patrick Chan was like while on the SOI tour.

2014. SOI day. I got an email from a friend (who knew I was a big fs fan) that said "I just got served coffee by Patrick Chan!" It was McHappy Day so Patrick worked at McD's from 10-12noon. According to my friend, Patrick took orders and then did all the work under a supervisor - just like any other new trainee would. (The two co-workers with my friend had no idea who Patrick was.) :(

Around 4pm I got a call. "A friend of a friend" had tickets to the SOI pre-show and asked if we wanted them. Of course, even though we had no idea what is was. Battled rush hour traffic to pu tickets and then to arena. Got there and was told "pre-show just ended"! :eek: I wasn't going to accept that! - so I talked my way into a SOI pre-show meet and greet. (The pre-show I later found out lasted from 4-6pm and the skaters warmed up and generally prepared for the evening show. This year, Patrick was the only skater to go up in the crowd and signed autographs for about 1/2 hour.)

The meet and greet! Wow! They had SOI programs, special SOI yellow pens (had stars that lit up when pressed) and HUGE bowls of Lindt caramel truffle chocolates everywhere. :love: (And if you've ever been up close to figure skaters they are so teeny tiny you know they don't eat any of it.) And then the entire cast of SOI (except Shawn Sawyer) signed autographs and posed for pictures. Patrick was mobbed but gave us a huge smile. My only regret was that I forgot to congratulate him on his Olympic medals. So the meet and greet was 6-6:30.

The SOI show started at 7pm and lasted at least 2-1/2 hrs. Probably more. By this time I'm exhausted and went home tired but happy.

The SOI cast however still has a meet and greet afterwards (a paying one requiring a ticket that Krunchii was referring to which cost $75 or more.)

I think afterwards some of the cast goes to thank the "Lindt" volunteers (they hand out candies to the crowd during the intermission).

And then they board the bus presumably to go on to the next stop.

I pieced together what Patrick's day was like through a series of events that was rather fluky. Before that I thought they just rolled into town, did the show, and then rolled out. It turns out it was more work and the day was longer than I thought.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
intense day of work... indeed.. thanks for sharing!!!!!
Much thought went into the selection of the seat choice. Since my relation knew the layout of the arena well (zamboni, dressing room entrances, ice access) we were able to deduce where the judges and kiss and cry was. It was fifty-fifty where the combo would be.

There's one story I've always wanted to share because it was eye-opening for me. What a day in the life of Patrick Chan was like while on the SOI tour.

2014. SOI day. I got an email from a friend (who knew I was a big fs fan) that said "I just got served coffee by Patrick Chan!" It was McHappy Day so Patrick worked at McD's from 10-12noon. According to my friend, Patrick took orders and then did all the work under a supervisor - just like any other new trainee would. (The two co-workers with my friend had no idea who Patrick was.) :(

Around 4pm I got a call. "A friend of a friend" had tickets to the SOI pre-show and asked if we wanted them. Of course, even though we had no idea what is was. Battled rush hour traffic to pu tickets and then to arena. Got there and was told "pre-show just ended"! :eek: I wasn't going to accept that! - so I talked my way into a SOI pre-show meet and greet. (The pre-show I later found out lasted from 4-6pm and the skaters warmed up and generally prepared for the evening show. This year, Patrick was the only skater to go up in the crowd and signed autographs for about 1/2 hour.)

The meet and greet! Wow! They had SOI programs, special SOI yellow pens (had stars that lit up when pressed) and HUGE bowls of Lindt caramel truffle chocolates everywhere. :love: (And if you've ever been up close to figure skaters they are so teeny tiny you know they don't eat any of it.) And then the entire cast of SOI (except Shawn Sawyer) signed autographs and posed for pictures. Patrick was mobbed but gave us a huge smile. My only regret was that I forgot to congratulate him on his Olympic medals. So the meet and greet was 6-6:30.

The SOI show started at 7pm and lasted at least 2-1/2 hrs. Probably more. By this time I'm exhausted and went home tired but happy.

The SOI cast however still has a meet and greet afterwards (a paying one requiring a ticket that Krunchii was referring to which cost $75 or more.)

I think afterwards some of the cast goes to thank the "Lindt" volunteers (they hand out candies to the crowd during the intermission).

And then they board the bus presumably to go on to the next stop.

I pieced together what Patrick's day was like through a series of events that was rather fluky. Before that I thought they just rolled into town, did the show, and then rolled out. It turns out it was more work and the day was longer than I thought.

Krunchii

Record Breaker
Did you manage to get good tickets for Skate Canada? Having only attended one live competition, I'm no expert, but I think Canadian fans are very lucky. My all-event pass at 2014 Nationals costed $185.00. It included all practices, SP, LP and gala (thurs - sun). By contrast, I read online that the 2014 US nationals were more than $1000 and the practice session was first come first served. I think even Skate America 2015 in Milwaukee was over $600.

I think the "problem" now for Canadians is that there is a competition with Japanese fans for those tickets. The Japanese love their skating and I think they love coming here. But they are so enthusiastic and respectful that they are welcome. Even at the 2014 Nats I noticed some. I later saw their videos on YT and it seems like they were here to see Kevin Reynolds!

Yes Vivley, I'm lucky! My attendance at 2014 was made possible only because I have a close relative who lives in Ottawa. I stayed at his house, he chauffeured us around, we were able to have home-cooked meals (thus not relying on arena fast food) and most important, the front row seats was only because he has season tickets to the Ottawa Senators and had first crack at arena events before the general public. I wanted front row seats in the corner because I wanted to see Patrick Chan do his quad combo right in front of me. Wish granted!:yahoo:

Krunchii, I'm sure you'll have a good time (and we will live vicariously through you!) but for those who have never been to a live competition it is very time-consuming. I was exhausted and I had it easy compared to most!

I got tickets right in front of the ice on the same side as the judges I think so I'm guessing after when I'm rewatching on youtube I'll see myself pop up a couple times on screen. The all-event pass was $200 I think? I will be going with my sister.

And your meet n greet ticket was 75? For me it would 90 and it sold out pretty fast, I really wanted to meet Joannie Rochette because I saw her skate at the CNE a few years ago but never ran into her. Huge disappointment.

And yeah I've been hearing a lot about hardcore Japanese fans lately, for the Autumn Classic I heard a bunch of Japanese tourists rented a whole tour bus just to go cheer Yuzuru and Nam on at the competition. Must have been surprising for the people in Barrie to see a group of tourists so eager to be in their little city haha

Last edited:

blueberryhill

On the Ice
I got tickets right in front of the ice on the same side as the judges I think so I'm guessing after when I'm rewatching on youtube I'll see myself pop up a couple times on screen. The all-event pass was $200 I think? I will be going with my sister.

And your meet n greet ticket was 75? For me it would 90 and it sold out pretty fast, I really wanted to meet Joannie Rochette because I saw her skate at the CNE a few years ago but never ran into her. Huge disappointment.

And yeah I've been hearing a lot about hardcore Japanese fans lately, for the Autumn Classic I heard a bunch of Japanese tourists rented a whole tour bus just to go cheer Yuzuru and Nam on at the competition. Must have been surprising for the people in Barrie to see a group of tourists so eager to be in their little city haha
My meet and greet was free. There are two meet and greets. One is a sweepstakes and it's before the show and free. The other is after the show and I think in 2014 it was about 75 and last year it went up to 95. That one has a smaller group of people and you can spend more time with each skater. I read somewhere that they served quite a nice assortment of finger foods. I think most people would be too excited to eat!

I don't know if the one for the sweepstakes was only for 2014 - I recall my friend saying there was a contest on the skate canada site. Anyways we didn't win. I talked my way into this because we missed the pre-show. All I remember was that we walked in a holding area and a large group of people were holding letters that gave them permission to enter.

If I attend a competition again I would like to try for seats in the centre ice this time (like where you are). I like to take pictures and where I was sitting it's not a good location. I probably took about 500 and I literally only have about 5 good one to show for it. You need special equipment. The skaters just move too fast!

vivley

"pcskatingfan.com"
Medalist
I found a few more nice tweets. Look at these birthday cakes that were made for Patrick from Spain! Yum!

https://twitter.com/OscarDePucela/status/682462539477839872

A Japanese fan's birthday wishes with a sketch of Patrick in MTK:

https://twitter.com/haru_tonari128/status/682288059270889472

Fantastic drawings of Patrick in his various costumes from his 7 programs (2014-2016), manga/anime-style!

https://twitter.com/mkr_en/status/682217559366610944

Direct link to the drawings (click on it to enlarge):

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CXe5P_XU0AAxg7h.jpg:large

Last edited:

vivley

"pcskatingfan.com"
Medalist
The Detroit Skating Club just announced via Twitter that tickets are now on sale for their 2016 Skate for Dream Champions Ice Revue on January 9 at 5:30 p.m. Also another tweet announcing special performances by Patrick and others to benefit local Special Olympians.

Wow, at $30 for gold seats and $20 for bleacher seats that's a steal of a deal! See here for more information.

VB and 4everchan, it's only a 9 hour drive or a 2 hour flight from you...

Last edited:

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
I wrote him a happy birthday letter OMG what did I do ? :eek:: :palmf: :hpull:

???????? What's wrong about a happy birthday letter?

Good for you!!! No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted!

https://higherdensity.files.wordpre...w2bsmall252c2bis2bever2bwasted252c2baesop.jpg

Do it anyway, it's not about whether it's wasted or not.

"People are often unreasonable, illogical, and self-centered.
Forgive them anyway.

If you are kind,
people may accuse you of selfish ulterior motives.
Be kind anyway.

If you are successful,
you will win some false friends and some true enemies.
Succeed anyway.

If you are honest and frank,
people may cheat you.
Be honest and frank anyway.

What you spend years building,
someone could destroy overnight.
Build anyway.

If you find serenity and happiness,
they may be jealous.
Be happy anyway.

The good you do today,
people will often forget tomorrow.
Do good anyway.

Give the world the best you have,
and it may never be enough.
Give the best you've got anyway.

You see,
in the final analysis it is between you and God;
it was never between you and them anyway."

- Mother Teresa

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Direct link to the drawings (click on it to enlarge):

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CXe5P_XU0AAxg7h.jpg:large

those drawings are so good... except patrick is hunkier ;)
The Detroit Skating Club just announced via Twitter that tickets are now on sale for their 2016 Skate for Dream Champions Ice Revue on January 9 at 5:30 p.m. Also another tweet announcing special performances by Patrick and others to benefit local Special Olympians.

Wow, at $30 for gold seats and $20 for bleacher seats that's a steal of a deal! See here for more information.

VB and 4everchan, it's only a 9 hour drive or a 2 hour flight from you...

i have been to detroit.... maybe 3-4 times... for business... hope to never go again... no offense to anybody living there or skating there.... not my town...

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
???????? What's wrong about a happy birthday letter?

Do it anyway, it's not about whether it's wasted or not.

"People are often unreasonable, illogical, and self-centered.
Forgive them anyway.

If you are kind,
people may accuse you of selfish ulterior motives.
Be kind anyway.

If you are successful,
you will win some false friends and some true enemies.
Succeed anyway.

If you are honest and frank,
people may cheat you.
Be honest and frank anyway.

What you spend years building,
someone could destroy overnight.
Build anyway.

If you find serenity and happiness,
they may be jealous.
Be happy anyway.

The good you do today,
people will often forget tomorrow.
Do good anyway.

Give the world the best you have,
and it may never be enough.
Give the best you've got anyway.

You see,
in the final analysis it is between you and God;
it was never between you and them anyway."

- Mother Teresa

I saw these Mother Teresa words in my practice studio for several years.... Thanks for bringing them back to my memory.... Inspiring woman

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
I saw these Mother Teresa words in my practice studio for several years.... Thanks for bringing them back to my memory.... Inspiring woman

Life is simple and blissful when you do what's right regardless of others' opinions and reactions, which you can't control anyway.

Focus on what you love and do and stay in the moment, Patrick. Never mind the noises, expectation, judgments, etc. You can't please them all. Just stay honest, successful, and happy, giving your best however it's received. We love you as you are.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
for a second i thought you were talking to me... since you quoted me LOL.. then it says "Patrick" :laugh2:

I think Patrick is doing what he loves and not really thinking about people who say he doesn't deserve his PCS :)

but to reach blissful states, we probably need one of your violet pills LOL
Life is simple and blissful when you do what's right regardless of others' opinions and reactions, which you can't control anyway.

Focus on what you love and do and stay in the moment, Patrick. Never mind the noises, expectation, judgments, etc. You can't please them all. Just stay honest, successful, and happy, giving your best however it's received. We love you as you are.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
for a second i thought you were talking to me... since you quoted me LOL.. then it says "Patrick" :laugh2:

I needed to come back to be on topic. ;)

I think Patrick is doing what he loves and not really thinking about people who say he doesn't deserve his PCS :)

His biggest issue which surfaces repeatedly at critical times has been worries about letting people down. He needs to hold the gratitude (for everything good in his life) but let go of the overly keen sense of responsibilities that becomes fear and guilt. Thus my hope and message for him as expressed.

but to reach blissful states, we probably need one of your violet pills LOL

Find your own way, grasshopper. Choose the violet pill with your free will. Be conscious of and mind your thoughts and feelings. Let go of any thought or feeling that does not serve you. Don't bother with controlling events and other people. Bliss be with you, my dear.

Last edited:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I needed to come back to be on topic. ;)

His biggest issue which surfaces repeatedly at critical times has been worries about letting people down. He needs to hold the gratitude (for everything good in his life) but let go of the overly keen sense of responsibilities that becomes fear and guilt. Thus my hope and message for him as expressed.

Find your own way, grasshopper. Choose the violet pill with your free will. Be conscious of and mind your thoughts and feelings. Let go of any thought or feeling that does not serve you. Don't bother with controlling events and other people. Bliss be with you, my dear.

you are correct.... he is feeling the pressure this season... Patrick is a perfectionist... and he wants to be perfect...and that means pressure... it is true.. He is such a champion that sometimes I forget how human he is. I guess this is what happens when you are a total fan ;)

i have a silly question... forgive my ignorance... does violet pill refer to something figuratively? If it's literal, i don't need to know but if it's in a song, or some idiomatic expression, or a movie or a series... i am now curious... :) I am one of these people afraid of pills.... It takes me a lot of courage to just take cough syrup ;)

vivley

"pcskatingfan.com"
Medalist
I wrote him a happy birthday letter OMG what did I do ? :eek:: :palmf: :hpull:

Wonderful! Did you send it to him?

No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted!

So true! Often I think I need to do something big, but small acts done well are just as important. :)

those drawings are so good... except patrick is hunkier ;)

Haha, I'm sure Patrick would be flattered to hear that. ;)

i have been to detroit.... maybe 3-4 times... for business... hope to never go again... no offense to anybody living there or skating there.... not my town...

My in-laws live there, but too bad they aren't into figure skating. Actually, the Detroit Skating Club is outside Detroit, 25 miles Northwest in a very nice semi-rural suburb. Only around 4,000 live there, so it's like Patrick is living in a small town.

Agree. The other day (in my own quest for recovery from my Asian upbringing), I found this excellent article where the author talks about her son, who is a musician who has won national competitions and played at Carnegie Hall without her forcing him to do anything. I loved what she said about his mindset when he competes:

"Oliver knows I am not interested in his grades or winnings of competitions. I have often reminded him that he can always quit and that he won with me by being himself. He therefore does not depend on winning or being best. On the flight to a national competition I asked him how he feels when he goes onto the competition stage. He said, "I go in to win. And then, whatever happens is fine with me." This emotional freedom helped him win this and other competitions. His brothers are as successful in different universities and on very different paths... I am happy that they source their own lives from inside, with no pressure to succeed, other than their own. To me their grades and prestige have no value. What matters is their inner joy and peace."

Wow, I would be so happy if Patrick could go into competitions with that kind of mindset. I want him to always feel the way he did after winning Skate Canada.

Last edited:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I think Patrick will get back to the right mindset for competing next season.... it takes a while to bring back those tricks and feeling good about them. He is truly a winner but has sometimes shown he was vulnerable, which makes me appreciate him even more. Some performers are tight machines that never fail... always perfectly in-tune... but never approachable within a performance. Patrick skates with his heart, with all his vulnerability and most importantly, with a desire for perfection and excellence in every little detail. I can totally understand when he is not happy about a skate... it means a lot to him.... What is helpful is to reach a transcendent humility. I think he is on this path from one interview he gave at one point when he was talking about all the risky activities he did, like jumping off a plane etc.... realizing how figure skating is one thing, but life is much bigger. When I heard him say that, it reminded me of how I learned to calm myself down before a performance.... I know that I am going out there to play as beautifully as I can, but if it doesn't happen, nobody will be hurt in the process ;) it's all about perspective and knowing what the most important things are... for instance, how he is already a champion, has already achieved a pantheon worthy career, etc etc. I hope he can skate with freedom, peace and joy in the new year. But if he doesn't right away, I think he will get there with time... as what he was saying is pretty close to what you bolded Vivley ... he never said he was going in to win... but he said, pretty much that he had other agendas than medals and so on...he wanted to skate... for the love of skating... That's the one right step he needs .... and I feel that he is going through this path right now.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
i have a silly question... forgive my ignorance... does violet pill refer to something figuratively? If it's literal, i don't need to know but if it's in a song, or some idiomatic expression, or a movie or a series... i am now curious... :) I am one of these people afraid of pills.... It takes me a lot of courage to just take cough syrup ;)

I explained my new name when it was discovered:

Post# 3397

The Red and the Blue Pills are of course well known from the movie The Matrix. We have free will and need not limit our choices from just what are offered.

Appropriately, Patrick's new SP costume takes on my new hue and my wish for him, violet bliss.

Now, does Guru SF needs to transmute as well?