2016 Rio: General Olympic chat | Page 14 | Golden Skate

2016 Rio: General Olympic chat

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
USA has Matthew Centrowitz in the final of the 1500m tonight. I hope he can medal, or at least put in a good show. There was once such a proud tradition of middle distance running in this country. Not so much any longer.

To be honest, I don't know this runner. While I'm not a huge track follower any longer, that is still astonishing. American milers used to be household names in the USA.

Middle distance probably had more glamour than the sprints, to be honest.

Winnie_20

Record Breaker
Modern Penta something.. i have NEVER watched that nor seen it on TV.... let me guess... Canada sucks at it so CBC won't show it ?
:biggrin:
I watched some of the equestrian jumping part of it. I've never heard of the penta("five")thlon even taking place apart from at the Olympics, but apparently there are annual world championships. And I like the idea of the best horse receiving a medal. :laugh:

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
If you're a fan of the little guy, like I am, then please root for Honduras in the bronze medal match in men's soccer.

It would be their first Olympic medal EVER.

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
:biggrin:
I watched some of the equestrian jumping part of it. I've never heard of the penta("five")thlon even taking place apart from at the Olympics, but apparently there are annual world championships. And I like the idea of the best horse receiving a medal. :laugh:

Nowacka said after competition that she needs to find the horse and thank him/her for how wonderful he/she was :)

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
If you're a fan of the little guy, like I am, then please root for Honduras in the bronze medal match in men's soccer.

It would be their first Olympic medal EVER.

I cheer for Honduras, but only because they have coach who made Costa Rica play in QF in World championships two years ago. And I'm a fan of Costa Rica team, so I'm grateful for his work.

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
We won 11th medal! :hap57: After 3 Olympics with ten medals we've finally broken a curse! Maja Włoszczowska winning silver in cross country is :luv17: Congrats to all medalists, Swede lady was amazing in last laps. :clap:

Edit: Nigeria is winning 3-0. I think it's a lost case :(

Last edited:

Sorrento

Record Breaker
We won 11th medal! :hap57: After 3 Olympics with ten medals we've finally broken a curse! Maja Włoszczowska winning silver in cross country is :luv17: Congrats to all medalists, Swede lady was amazing in last laps. :clap:
Congrats!:)

thoakun

Final Flight
Congrats to anyone whose countries outdo themselves this Olympics. Every medal is as valuable as gold IMO :).
On a side note, it's my first time watching modern pentathlon and some men are very hot :love:.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique

Edit: Nigeria is winning 3-0. I think it's a lost case :(

congrats to the canadians too... 3-4th place... Pendrel came back from behind after being stuck by a crash earlier on... that's fighting spirit! and 22 medals for Canada

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
We won 11th medal! :hap57: After 3 Olympics with ten medals we've finally broken a curse! Maja Włoszczowska winning silver in cross country is :luv17:

Congratulations cathlen!!! :party2: It's always nice when the team you are supporting do better than expected.

Congrats to anyone whose countries outdo themselves this Olympics. Every medal is as valuable as gold IMO.

Exactly! :agree:

While I'm here, I'll give a bit of an update on one of the Northern Ireland athletes that was in action today.

I dipped into the triathlon a few times this afternoon to see how Aileen was getting on (the IOC graphics were using her married name of Reid, so I guess it was Wikipedia that was wrong by using her maiden name of Morrison).

The first time I looked was at the end of the swim, and she was in 31[SUP]st[/SUP] position. And I thought "Oh. This isn't going as well as I hoped". The next time I looked was 2 laps before the end of the cycle, and she was 41[SUP]st[/SUP]. And I thought "Oh-oh. This is going the wrong way..."

The next time I looked was at the end of the race. And she finished 21[SUP]st[/SUP]. She must have been running like the clappers! To climb 20 places in just a stage and a bit is brilliant! :clap: :points:

But, I was very annoyed with the TV coverage of the finish. In the time I had it on, they showed everybody as they crossed the line... except Aileen! When they were showing the girl in front of her crossing the line, I could see Aileen in the background. But as soon as this girl crossed the line, the director cut straight to the girl who was behind Aileen! :mad: :bang:

It may not have been as high as we would have hoped. But, I am very impressed with the progress she made during the run.

:cheer: WELL DONE AILEEN!!! :cheer:

CaroLiza_fan

Last edited:

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
congrats to the canadians too... 3-4th place... Pendrel came back from behind after being stuck by a crash earlier on... that's fighting spirit! and 22 medals for Canada

It's weird... Almost every time I watch a sport there is a Canadian winning a medal. Also the Swedish commentator considered(during athletisc) how well the Canadian athletes were doing. Canada must have done better than expected... or?

Sweden has done a lot worse than expected. Many have not performed their best. So big hugs and congratulations to Jenny Rissveds winning gold today. She is young and was in Rio to get experience :clap:

Now on to women's handball final, France-Russia :cool:

MalAssada

Medalist
Dreading the upcoming football match. Considering our luck, Germany will score 7x1 on us again.

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Dreading the upcoming football match. Considering our luck, Germany will score 7x1 on us again.

I wonder how long Brazilians will remember that match :devil: I doubt we will see any result like that between top level teams anytime soon. Good luck! :ghug:

hugo

On the Ice
today is really happy day for Russia. 4 gold medals ! female handball, RG, wrestling and men pentathlon

MalAssada

Medalist
Brazil :dance:

PS: That 7x1 shall be forever remembered as a day of public humiliation and national shame until we get a better score against them :devil: