2016 Skate America Ladies FS | Page 44 | Golden Skate

2016 Skate America Ladies FS

andromache

Record Breaker
Seriously? There's miles between Gabby and Mai's programs in terms of transitions, choreo, interpretation. I don't get 65 pcs for mai and 70 for Ashley. It's insane.

I'm confused about why you're bringing up Mai and Ashley when I am remarking on Gabby's programs.....

I think Gabby is capable of more than what she's being given. In her music and choreography and interpretation, there's nothing being done to set her apart. I think she could skate to something more unique and have more creative programs instead of the classical mush she's being given. She's at a point in her skating when she is over-excelling at the generic stuff she's being given and needs something more cohesive and well-choreographed. No more discount Lori programs.

For example, I thought Alaine Chartrand last season had very good programs. Each was thematically unique with great choreography and interpretation. While Alaine has usually been Gabby's superior artistically, I think Gabby is finally at a new level. Get Shae-Lynne for fun and fierce choreo next season.

taltaltel

On the Ice
Am gutted for Mao whose demons seemed to have all come back. On the other hand, am super excited for Mariah Bell finally coming into her own! She totally deserved this medal (in fact could have and should have scored higher if she hadn't bonked that 3S) and she's finally getting some well-earned recognition. She really feels the music, connects well with it, has lovely jumps and is even landing the 3Lz-3T now. Good stuff!

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Last edited:

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
Can anyone tell me how tall Mariah is? According to wikipedia, she is of the same height as Ashley, but Mariah looks much taller and I used to think her weak jumps are related to her being too tall.

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
Just got back to the hotel... gonna catch up on what I missed here. Sorry if I spam replies over the next hour! :laugh:

qwerty

On the Ice
"There's a reason they don't have fat skaters."

I *think* that's what Gracie said in the K&C to Frank. There is something very unhealthy going on in that situation, mentally and physically.

I have no suggestions, just much sympathy :(

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Christine Brennen again with some quality work there :rolleye:

Being overweight at Gracie's size is not the same as being "overweight" as this article implies. I think she's talking about competive conditioning and being slimmer. It's the same in every sport it's just for some reason with girls everyone assumes the worst and IMO this article just makes shade. It's s pity that this article is even out there to be clicked on.

Good luck to Gracie in finding her optimal fitness.

andromache

Record Breaker
"There's a reason they don't have fat skaters."

I *think* that's what Gracie said in the K&C to Frank. There is something very unhealthy going on in that situation, mentally and physically.

I have no suggestions, just much sympathy :(

If that's what she said in the K&C, then I can see reason for concern.

If this is speculation based on what she said to journalists to excuse her loss, then I am much less concerned. I completely understand the urge to blame failure on something physical and controllable (such as weight) as compared to just admitting to being a nervous headcase wreck.

ETA: Then again, there's always the chance that she has decided to channel her nervous headcase issues down a more physical/weight-related route. But as someone who has once suffered from an eating disorder and severe body dysmorphia, I can't imagine admitting it to the press while you're in the midst of it (as opposed to Jenny Kirk or Akiko Suzuki, who spoke about it in recovery).

Last edited:

andyjo24

Medalist
Can anyone tell me how tall Mariah is? According to wikipedia, she is of the same height as Ashley, but Mariah looks much taller and I used to think her weak jumps are related to her being too tall.

Hey, I was at the arena, and they were both exactly the same height when standing next to each other for a photo. Mariah does have longer legs though, which gives her the appearance of looking taller.

Btw, I got a photo/signature with Gracie!! She is so small in person!!!

qwerty

On the Ice
If that's what she said in the K&C, then I can see reason for concern.

If this is speculation based on what she said to journalists to excuse her loss, then I am much less concerned. I completely understand the urge to blame failure on something physical and controllable (such as weight) as compared to just admitting to being a nervous headcase wreck.

https://youtu.be/iiep6WSG8TI?t=6m47s

She did :(

And Frank says nothing.

NAOTMAA

Medalist
Gracie use to be so tight lipped (and I was one who constantly complained about her ultra pc answers) so its shocking to hear all of this coming from her. It's very upsetting to hear what she says and I hope she's getting the help she needs. Sports like skating and gymnastics have a reputation for a reason, they can eat poor girls alive and spit them out without care.

Does anybody know what her family is like? Any insiders who know how they are viewed by the skating community? There are/were many parents from hell in this sport, I hope Gracie doesn't have that :(

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
Did you get a auto or a photo from Mao. it is super difficult with Japanese skaters. You are sooooooo lucky.:drama:

Even without the language and culture barriers, it would be very hard for me even to look at her. You want to tell her thanks for all the years you have seen her in person and on the Telly
and you love her no matter if she is injured or not and wish the best for her....in skating and in life....

Yeah I guess I was lucky. After the ladies medal ceremony, I went out for dinner, and afterwards swung by the hotel to get ready for Dance/Pairs. I was almost late for the SD (and Shibs were the first team) so I was hurrying to make the elevator. Just down the hall, I saw a man disappear into the open elevator so I quickly turned the corner to dart into the elevator myself before the doors closed on me. Immediately I found myself quite literally face to face with Mao and coach. I'll never forget it, Mao had a big smile on her face and was looking right at me. I couldn't help but smile in return. She had her arms full with gifts. But strange thing, her eyes didn't look as happy as the rest of her face.

I didn't know what to say (if anything), so after a couple seconds, I mustered my sincerest: "Good job!" :disapp:

She was gracious about it, of course. You're right, what do you say in a 30-second elevator ride? It was an interesting ride, at least.

louisa05

Final Flight

Frank has always been rather old school manners about how to behave in the kiss and cry. I'm sure if there is a concern, he will address it later.

I read this all as not being at "fighting weight" in terms of fitness and muscle mass. She did take a rather long vacation from training this summer and that could easily impact fitness.

As for the rest, music and coaches aren't going to be able to fix Gracie's head. Gracie has to do that. I am particularly baffled by people who think that program music is so magical that it can fix nerves, burn out, depression and general head case issues in a skater. If only....

andromache

Record Breaker
Frank has always been rather old school manners about how to behave in the kiss and cry. I'm sure if there is a concern, he will address it later.

I read this all as not being at "fighting weight" in terms of fitness and muscle mass. She did take a rather long vacation from training this summer and that could easily impact fitness.

As for the rest, music and coaches aren't going to be able to fix Gracie's head. Gracie has to do that. I am particularly baffled by people who think that program music is so magical that it can fix nerves, burn out, depression and general head case issues in a skater. If only....

I don't think the influence of a coach can be overstated. Again, while I think too-much criticism of a coach of Frank's age is unfair because he is OBVIOUSLY less adaptable to a skater's mental issues than a younger coach. He's almost 80. A new coach could definitely help change her perspective. Frank might not know what to do with a skater discussing weight in the K&C.

blue_ice

On the Ice
Gracie had an amazing jumps under Ouryashev's training. Maybe she should go back and re-learn how to train again.
Ashley has amazing presentation and most of the jumps. Bell technically ok, not my favourite in terms of presentation. Mihara - lovely skater, great potential, I enjoyed her skating. Gaby - a bit dull and generic for me, same all the time. Serafima - I'm not sure what happen to her.

Last edited:

amateur

Final Flight
I've never been really a "fan" up to now, but I'm really rooting for Gracie after watching this competition. That long program is BEAUTIFUL (actually both her programs are). Topped off with that unbelievably stunning dress! She looked fantastic out there, I find she does a rather GREAT job with the choreography even despite was seems to be a either a lacking emotional connection and/or a very wounded confidence -- Imagine what this can be if she finds a good mental and emotional place for herself. There is something really excellent here that to me stands out from anything I've seen before, as a long-time fan of this sport.

I was really happy to watch that skating from her (despite the jumps that she didn't hit). Of course it's a competition and the goal is to win, and so there will be disappointment, and I guess an accumulation of frustration.. but it's a PROCESS and I wish she could at the same time, even if it takes a bit of time to get some perspective, be happy about what she DOES and DID put out there, which was extremely enjoyable and impressive for this figure skating fan, anyway. It a shame her perspective is so clouded by such immense (self?)-pressure. It's unbelievable and sad to read her saying -- in October -- something like she'll "try to see if the program can be salvaged for the rest of the season"..

Like I said, I'm really rooting for her -- provided that this is something she really wants. I find myself asking at the same time whether I SHOULD be rooting for her, if this whole endeavour is just making her miserable? I don't want to contribute as a (new) fan, to any pressure and heightened expectation she feels.