2016 Skate America Ladies FS | Page 45 | Golden Skate

2016 Skate America Ladies FS

Scovies

Final Flight
I'm re-watching some of the performances... can someone explain to me why Ashley's 3F was marked as UR? It looks completely clean to me. And not in a, "well, they could give her the benefit of the doubt on an iffy jump" way, but a "she landed perfectly backwards" way. :confused: Usually when I see people arguing over URs the skater is close to being 1/4 short and it could go either way, but that call seems ridiculous to me.

Last edited:

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
I am thinking of going back to her old coach too. And I have no doubt that Gracie can lose weight, since many lady skaters did.

Gracie had an amazing jumps under Ouryashev's training. Maybe she should go back and re-learn how to train again.
Ashley has amazing presentation and most of the jumps. Bell technically ok, not my favourite in terms of presentation. Mihara - lovely skater, great potential, I enjoyed her skating. Gaby - a bit dull and generic for me, same all the time. Serafima - I'm not sure what happen to her.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm re-watching some of the performances... can someone explain to me why Ashley's 3F was marked as UR? It looks completely clean to me. And not in a, "well, they could give her the benefit of the doubt on an iffy jump" way, but a "she landed perfectly backwards" way. :confused: Usually when I see people arguing over URs the skater is close to being 1/4 short and it could go either way, but that call seems ridiculous to me.

I don't know either?? Hmm but the 3lo-1t looked UR on the 3lo but got no call except for a lot of negative GOE from the judges. I thought it looked like most of her jumps had noticeable UR going on and the trend seems to be for TP's to be very harsh on UR calls this season.

I'm so glad that I like her FS though after finding the SP very off putting. I always want to root for Ashley but sometimes she's a bit too much :drama: for me.

Last edited:

chairmanmao

Final Flight
First time I bothered to watch Mariah Bell and all I can say is WOW. America's best skater by a mile, second is Gold obviously. This here is a true world class talent. Honestly after Gold there's a huge dropoff in talent among the Americans.

Hyena

Tous les whiskys
Medalist
Mariah was absolutely stunning tonight. That's a performance I'll remember for years to come. It's way more than just landing her jumps, it's her extension, the flow she gets throughout her programs, the way she can project into the crowd (at least tonight).

My personal fave program is her Little Talks SP in 2015. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QYQef9ak2Y8

topaz emerald

Match Penalty
shake it off Gracie. Still a beautiful performance whether she was in white or gold. Gorgeous dress, she looked like a goddess.

topaz emerald

Match Penalty
heartbreaking to see and hear Gracie in the kiss and cry. Have not idea what is going on with her mentally, but it's just sad to see.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'd love to see Mariah slay at Nationals then go all American diva and skip 4CC because she has already made the Worlds team and needs to focus on that :)

topaz emerald

Match Penalty
wow...major props to mariah bell...girl has shown up! Michelle Kwan would be proud of that East of Eden performance....gave me goosebumps. I think it's the best I have ever seen her skate/perform.

da96103

Record Breaker
Gracie has created her own demons so early this season.

She used to be able to blame Bridget Jones' moments with Ashley when having bad performances but now Ashley is way more consistent and leaving Bridget Jones behind.

Not only that, how did Mariah 'four times double toe-loop' Bell did better than her in her first senior event.

Never a better time to have those sessions with the sports psychologist.

gotoschool

Medalist
Am gutted for Mao whose demons seemed to have all come back.!

Mao's issues are not psychological but physical. First of all, she has a left knee injury which causes her pain any time she has to put a lot of pressure on her left knee. So, when Mao entered her second double axel (2A /3T), she pulled out of it because of the pain. The next jump that followed is the triple salchow which also puts a lot of strain on her left knee. Secondly, at the end of the freeskate, it is obvious that she is sick. She is fatigued and perspiring profusely, which none of the other women did as reported by yesway. I noticed the fatigue and how much she was sweating as well.

The fact that Mao gave such a wonderful SP performance and such a brave effort in the long, despite what I consider to be stingy scoring, and that she had such beautiful spins, a picturesque spiral, displayed marvelous skating skills and especially gave the most incredible step sequence with such heart felt depth of expression in her freeskate in this condition does not show that she is possessed of a demon but rather the inspiration and guts to go out and show stunning elements, despite the mistakes, with two serious physical ailments simultaneously, when she has already accomplished so very much that she no longer needs to prove anything. Mao is not the best at PR in advertising her injuries or illnesses because she doesn't want to make excuses, but I thank her for still showing such profound beauty in her skating in the face of adversity.

I sincerely hope that she will take the time to recover now and I hope that it happens quickly.

Last edited:

nolangoh

Steps and Spirals enthusiast
Record Breaker
I have rewatched some jumps in slow-mo: Ashley's 3T was almost <<, the second 3Lo should be <. Luckily the judges didn't call them, it might have made a difference on the podium places.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Bell – well done!!! Liked the program, but the boring music makes it difficult to stay awake... It sounds like just some background music?

Gold – felt really sorry for her. Maybe she just should rest and try to find mental peace and strength by continuous visits to a professional therapist during this season.

Mihara – congratulations for the bronze medal at Senior GP!!! I liked her program and choreography, suited a young person really well. Next season she will skate to something else and will mature a bit, too.

Wagner – beautiful dress, but her hair should not be hanging down.... Boring program because the music was boring, she needs some drama to be at her best, IMO. I hope that in her next GP she will face judges and technical personal who notice her UR´s and give scores accordingly. To ignore those faults is SO wrong towards other skaters!!!

Last edited:

Barb

Record Breaker
I am not sure if anyone posted this:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...ssues-weight-physical-shape-skating/92618094/

As a mother of girls, I found this article very concerning. I hope Gracie is getting support. And hats off to Ashley for giving her insight and showing Gracie empathy.

Wow, she is the new Yulia L. or what? always giving the most honest answers and very hard with herself. She looks slim but I remember the 2013-2014 season, she got very good results and she was thinner than now. On the other hand, Ashley is not so thin and she is the winner of this event.

mary01

Final Flight
I want t know how bad is Mao knee injury any news regarding it, will sh be able to recover before her next GP assignment? any articles about that?

topaz emerald

Match Penalty
Wow, Ashley really stepped up her performance from Japan open. A lot more feeling and choreography matches the music this time. This new dress suits the music more. Love her hair down. Another amazing performance.

So happy for Mariah bell.....I actually can't believe what I just saw from her. Have gone back many times to watch her long program. Poor Gracie.....really want her to do well this year.....I think Frank Carrol may not be good for Gracie.

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker

I don't know either?? Hmm but the 3lo-1t looked UR on the 3lo but got no call except for a lot of negative GOE from the judges. I thought it looked like most of her jumps had noticeable UR going on and the trend seems to be for TP's to be very harsh on UR calls this season.

I actually think that UR call was fair. I would have never noticed it in real time, but looking at it in slo-mo... I obviously can't make any jump videos, and the best I can do is this. But from that, she seems to be taking off on something like a \ curve (just more tilted to the ground) but lands facing the camera (at least in the moment she's facing the camera her toe pick seems to already be on the ground). My lacking ability of properly explaining things aside, that does look like an UR to me.

I also can't agree that the TP was harsh with Ashley at all. The back-end 3T was landed facing forwards and arguably should have gotten a <<. The two-footed loop could have also been called UR (though that's a borderline call for me). If the tech panel wanted, they could have dropped her TES below 50 I think... :slink:

Biellmann

Match Penalty
Bell – well done!!! Liked the program, but the boring music makes it difficult to stay awake... It sounds like just some background music?

Gold – felt really sorry for her. Maybe she just should rest and try to find mental peace and strength by continuous visits to a professional therapist during this season.

Mihara – congratulations for the bronze medal at Senior GP!!! I liked her program and choreography, suited a young person really well. Next season she will skate to something else and will mature a bit, too.

Wagner – beautiful dress, but her hair should not be hanging down.... Boring program because the music was boring, she needs some drama to be at her best, IMO. I hope that in her next GP she will face judges and technical personal who notice her UR´s and give scores accordingly. To ignore those faults is SO wrong towards other skaters!!![/QUOTE]

Oh please, they do it with other skaters as well :rolleye:

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
Gracie just looked pale to me. Pale and if she didn't want to be there. Who knows what's going on there. I feel sorry for her. I was never in her camp but what she's going through at the moment can only be described as heartbreaking and that's what it must feel like for her supporters too. While I like Mao I don't feel as heartbroken for her as for Gracie and Kanako. Mai Mihara still bores me. Gabrielle Daleman improves steadily I think. I liked her more feminine looks this time. Serafima I remember being praised as the next best thing out of Russias junior flock, but I honestly don't see the appeal. Even without the faulty skating she's not one who leaves an impression. As always, imho.

Last edited: