2016 Skate Canada Pairs FP | Page 15 | Golden Skate

2016 Skate Canada Pairs FP

Tastetherainbow

Medalist
As much as how unprofessional and unfair the repairing supposedly occurred, I have to say that this could be one bet that the Chinese Fed might have made correct. Peng is now landing all her jumps and throws, Yu now has higher elevation on her throws and twist, and Zhang seems somewhat softer as opposed to when he was skating with both Zhang Dan and Peng. Curious to see what happens next; as much as the performance was beautiful, "beautiful" doesn't scoop top scores anymore like in the Shen/Zhao era, and a quad twist should be in the works if they even hope to be a match to the top pairs.

Edit: Curious as to why they downgraded the technical, as a 3T and 2A-2A garners more BV than a 3T-2T and 2A. Maybe Zhang is too old? Either way, they should play to the maximum of their strengths, or this new pairing isn't worth it.

Last edited:

ruffledgrouse

Record Breaker
I'm not familiar with Xiaoyu. Was she better with her former partner? Or does it actually matter who she's partnered with... seeing from the reaction of the forum, it seems to be all about her (regardless of what BESP guys said)?

She's always been good, that's why they paired her with Zhang. Honestly, I think Jin matched her better in terms of style and aesthetics, but Zhang is a better technical match. I'm looking forward to seeing them after they've had some time to gel

qwertyskates

Medalist
Wow...I think Yu/Zhang has room for a quad throw, her height and distance are incredible.

With a bigger, stronger partner she really has more room to step up with the technicals.

rollerblade

Record Breaker
I liked her previous partner though. I thought they were adorable together. They were both young. Why not invest on them rather than this when we know he's not gonna last after the Oly.

Wonder if they will reunite after the Olys?

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
You have to wonder what the Chinese Fed is going do with her after the Olympics because I'm presuming he will retire.

TheGrandSophy

Record Breaker
I liked her previous partner though. I thought they were adorable together. They were both young. Why not invest on them rather than this when we know he's not gonna last after the Oly.

Yeah, maybe so, but it has happened now. What, they are gonna get this coolness every time they skate from now on? How is that good for her, the person everyone feels so much for, they say? Surely, there comes a point where one has to really root for her at least? And, IMO, he isn't the ogre either. But that is another story... ;)

whatif

Medalist
Yeah, judging by D/R score here, there is some room for S/S to take them down at the Worlds.

eta

Medalist
And where would Peng go in that situation? I feel like it's a huge mess either way.

A younger male partner? For the Chinese Fed (from what I know) winning is priority, and Yu/Jin didn't have great chances for 2018 Olympics.

Edit: By younger, I really meant to say newer.

qwertyskates

Medalist
def. a quad twist if not throw

I think they can do a 1 quad SP and 3 quad FS, once the partnership fuses better.

It was beautiful, she has all the time to refine her air positions and landing, and it's breathtaking.

I understand that DR performed technically difficult skates but the errors were affecting the overall quality of both skates, they felt rough.

I'm really not that concerned about partner changes, it has happened with so many pairs, what matters is that it is a correct move and that all 4 benefit and do better. The close friendship can continue off the ice, why not?

Last edited:

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
Any chance of Sui/Han being back for the World Championships? I was rooting for them to win last year.

Anyone seen the protocols yet?