2016 Rostelecom Cup - Men FS | Page 26 | Golden Skate

2016 Rostelecom Cup - Men FS

Yatagarasu

Record Breaker
Is it only me or any other person that can not understand how Xavier gets higher PCs than Patrick and Yuzuru?

It's not about the content, or what should be PCS. It's now about TES and how clean you are and of course, who you are. And yeah.

thoakun

Final Flight
Is it only me or any other person that can not understand how Xavier gets higher PCs than Patrick and Yuzuru?

No worry, every "is it only me" will get the answer "no". That being said, to my uneducated eyes, Javi's PCs is not too outrageous considering the fact that he's a world champion two times in a row and he's always been FP king.

4+ higher then Chan at Skate Canada. That is unbelievable. He is not near his level.

Right? People can not bring the excuse that these are two different competitions, because it happens all the time. I bet if Yuzu and Patrick had given the same level of presentation as Xavier they would have had more stamina for their jumps.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
post-comp replay slomos include max's stunning perfect ginormous 3A :love:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Fernandez got 98.32 at Worlds, so it's not like this was his highest pcs ever. And he did beat both Chan and Hanyu in pcs, of course they did not skate clean, so it's hard to compare.

nolangoh

Steps and Spirals enthusiast
Record Breaker
So far there is not a program today that makes me feel excited...:yawn:

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
It likely BV that got him the 96 TES....

No, he still got a lot of +GOE. His 4F got him 0.71, despite the fact that basically everything that can be wrong with a jump despite fall/step out/hand was wrong with it. Pre-rotation, small, freakish lean in the air, low/strange landing he barely held on to.
The only jump he got negative GOE for was the 4T he fell on, everything else was positive. And that's BS :noshake:

valerieally

On the Ice
I wonder who will join Shoma. There's Fernandez, Chan, Hanyu, who will likely go into the final. That leaves 2 spots.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
so it's just about 2am so i am :bed:

but i am happy :bed: today

because max was smiling

and during the skate too

qwertyskates

Medalist
So glad that Javier brought it when it counts. :yahoo: He's good at this type of programs, if he sticks true to the genre, I don't see why not as long as he brings original, creative choreography and delivers quality from start to finish. I'm floored by his jumps here, good height, great speed going in and flow out, seamlessly woven into choreography and well-timed to the music.

Shoma's program still looks empty to me in the second half and even with an easier program, the jumps weren't there. I hope he puts in a bit more choreography, the big guys did, even Kolyada and Bychenko. I can't place him in the league of Hanyu, Javier, Chan, and even Jason when the others bring their A game. I can definitely see that with this strategy and being a judges' and crowd favourite, he can easily beat them if they make even a tiny mistake (and they are more prone to it due to the difficulty of their programs). I just don't find it fair.

Last edited:

Osmiumnitrate

Rinkside

For the 3 men skating at their highest levels, any difference in PCS doesn't really matter since what determines their placement on the podium is largely TES. All their PCS marks are already very high. So what if Javier gets 1 point higher for PCS than Patrick and Yuzuru? Given that all three men will get at least >95 in PCS the only differentiating factor is whether or not they will make technical mistakes. I'm not trying to defend Javier here as I equally admire all three men, and adding to this point, even myself find myself flabbergasted trying to decide who I like best. Of course, there is a common conception by many that at the very least, Chan leads the field in skating skills and I think he deserves 10.00 from every judge in this field, but the other PCS indicators remains a tossup. And since PCS for the three men is already so high it means that whether one men gets higher PCS than another men depends on the individual's preference.

We have yet to see a situation where all three men make completely clean skates for their SP and LP in a single competition and then the only differentiating factor is now PCS. This is not like ladies figure skating where clean skates from the top ladies skaters are not unusual and they separate themselves largely based on PCS.

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
Ascetically a clean performance of a similar technical level is much more pleasing than a fall and bunch of stumbling around. I for one often feel that the performance gets lost when there are a lot of mistakes.

But, and as much as I loathe bringing Chan or Hanyu into it, a clean Hanyu beats Fernandez and Chan everytime, no matter what. I think it's up to Hanyu really at this point. He skates clean in Helsinki then everyone else is skating for second. IMHO.

Chemistry66

Mmmmm, tacos.
Record Breaker
so it's just about 2am so i am :bed:

but i am happy :bed: today

because max was smiling

and during the skate too

Time differences are so funny sometimes. It's just about 11 AM Saturday here and I only woke up about half an hour ago