2016 Trophée de France Ladies FS | Page 53 | Golden Skate

2016 Trophée de France Ladies FS

Rissa

Record Breaker
I felt asleep during Sotskova's FS and woke up to see my Ipad was showing medals ceremony. Enough said.
I guess the judges were trying really hard not to fall asleep during Sotskova's skate.

It eas a completely forgettable skate and program. Literally nothing there to hold interest.

Krunchii

Record Breaker
That's pretty stupid because the only people that will see that punishment are the ones who are out there cleaning the ice for the next competitor. They should instead give them a milkshake or something :)

I'm alright with it on quads but just because the judges are incompetent and unable to score PCS fairly doesn't really make this sonething I support. It's clearly intended to prevent people from "quad fail" spamming us for points but I bet more often than not we will see it for skaters who are already in tears. :handw:

I don't agree with it either, one hard fall can really affect a skater, what if they have an accident and then continue to fall? I think it should be a flat deduction.

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
I saw many people arguing about Gracie's "inflated" PCS, but actually the one who got inflated PCS here is Gabrielle Daleman.

- 3/4 of the program are just crossovers;
- in the first half of the program there is no artistry at all: almost no transitions, just a series of jumps (always shaky here, or not even attempted);
- the second half just a little bit better but again nothing impressive really, and her skating skills are just average;
- the program is soo generic: skating Rhapsody in blue with a blue dress, the choreography looks cheap.

65 points for this? Seriously what's going on judges? the fact that she is canadian doesn't mean she has to be an artist.

I was complaining on Maria's FS but that actually was so much better and deserved higher PCS than this. (i would say 55 for Gabrielle and around 60 points Maria)

Last edited:

andromache

Record Breaker
It reminds me Adelina's Liebestraum, and i think this is Buyanova's vision: the girl at her first season in seniors should skate a sweet/comfortable program with a pinky dress.

Maria is lovely, she totally deserved that silver medal, her smiles is my everything and actually she has the best dresses so far (the short program dress is absolutely stunning) but that program speaks loudly: "this is my first year at seniors, i'm just trying to be lovely, not to show my maturity"

Yeah, not sure why Buyanova is limiting Maria in this way. She should be packaged to win like Eteri's girls are, with more artistically interesting programs. Maria should be the obvious choice for Russia's #3 this year, but I think her snoozy programs mean that Elena Radionova has an edge over her, even if Maria's overall quality is better this season.

katymay

Medalist
Wakaba is giving me life. The only girls really exciting this season were her and Pogorilaya imho (who deserves more love from the judges, she's better than evgenia!). Wakaba lost a lot of points for her mistakes, at least 7 in the SP and 10 in the LP. But nonetheless, she was fantastic! Incredibly high, long fluid jumps with great technique. Good spins, great steps, skating skills, transitions and artistry. Such speed and performance but still polished, she reminds me somehow of Yuna (still has a long way to go, of course). Sp is gorgeous, FS not so much, but two very good choregraphies.

I agree. I remember when her spins were so bad I couldn't watch. But most of all I love her jumps, her speed, her power. As far as Medeveva , I guess I am in a minority, but I just don't get it. Too much affectation, tired of all the tanos on teeny tiny boring jumps. In order to prevail, I think Wakaba is going to have to get a 3A or a quad.

stryke

On the Ice
I came back in as they were beginning the replay and noticed the lack of applause. Not surprising, considering that last year at this time, the event was cancelled because of the Paris attacks. No wonder the crowd wasn't receptive.

Evgenia seemed upset, too. I thought it was because she fell, but maybe not.

I wish they would rethink the whole thing, considering that the GPF is being held in France. It was a bad idea to begin with.

Wait so you came back in at the point the crowd stops applauding all the skaters and your shocked you heard no applause? Evgenia always shows frustration when she messes up technically, stop being so dramatic.

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
Will Mark (and Anna's haters) be pleased to see Gracie's spectacular fall on the lutz? He said he was so happy to see Anna pogorilaya falls last season because they were so huge.

Instead of Pogo-falls we have Gracie-falls this season, I would like to hear opinions of these people on this. :)

Last edited:

andromache

Record Breaker
Just a question: will Mark (and Anna's haters) be pleased to see Gracie's spectacular fall on the lutz? He said he was so happy to see Anna pogorilaya falls last season because they were so huge.

Instead of Pogo-falls we have Gracie-falls this season, I would like to hear opinions of these people on this. :)

I never enjoy watching falls.

That said, in the US we have an entire dumb tv show "America's Funniest Home Videos" and it's all people falling and hurting themselves in spectacular ways. Not my sense of humor, but people enjoy it, and the people doing the falling laugh at themselves too. People who say they "enjoy" watching huge falls or find them funny probably mean it in the same way people like watching Funniest Home Videos. Not necessarily because they hate certain skaters or lack sympathy.

katymay

Medalist
The fact that Gracie continues to be overmarked despite a string of poor performances this year is mind boggling. Not that overmarking is ever ok, but the rationale behind the judges using PCS to prop a skater up makes sense if it meant the difference between a win and second or third, or even from 4th or 5th to a podium finish.

(Allow me to clarify my personal stance again: PCS inflation is NEVER ok. However, in that situation, it happens and will continue to happen, so let's not be naive).

But when a skater bombs her program, ends up miles away from the podium in the standings and still gets a PCS boost, it's just asinine.

:bang:

Also I would disagree with the poster about Gold's beautiful choreography. IMO, the choreography for the short is awkward, stilted and uncomfortable (or Gold just hasn't mastered it yet), and the long is more coherent but boring. Basic front crossovers are stiff legged and there are way to many flinging arms throughout. So I agree, PCS was way too high for either one of these programs, and at the moment, nothing in Gold's skating skills seem particularly exceptional. (I would say THIS year, I can remember times when her programs had beautiful flow, Gold skated with speed and soft knees, her shoulders didn't hunch and so on. I would say that neither of these programs is a very good fit for her at this point)

TGee

Record Breaker
Will Mark (and Anna's haters) be pleased to see Gracie's spectacular fall on the lutz? He said he was so happy to see Anna pogorilaya falls last season because they were so huge.

So, you are proposing GoldfallsTM should take the place of PogofallsTM...

I think that too many of us are feeling Gracie's pain for that....

And given how well Denis Ten did today with a new coaching team after years of being labeled "inconsistent", why not CarollfallsTM?
TM

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
I never enjoy watching falls.

That said, in the US we have an entire dumb tv show "America's Funniest Home Videos" and it's all people falling and hurting themselves in spectacular ways. Not my sense of humor, but people enjoy it, and the people doing the falling laugh at themselves too. People who say they "enjoy" watching huge falls or find them funny probably mean it in the same way people like watching Funniest Home Videos. Not necessarily because they hate certain skaters or lack sympathy.

I'm not complaining this that much (even though that was another clear sign that the good old B.ESP without Simon, Chris or Nicky is definitely dead) but instead the myth of the Pogo-falls.

There are worse ladies skaters when it comes to falls and this season Gracie fell 5 times this season... Soo those people who were so happy to see Anna's falls, should be rooting for Gracie's falls this season?

So, you are proposing GoldfallsTM should take the place of PogofallsTM...

I think that too many of us are feeling Gracie's pain for that....

And given how well Denis Ten did today with a new coaching team after years of being labeled "inconsistent", why not CarollfallsTM?
TM

I would have proposed KaetlynfallsTM for last season, considering she fell 10 times at GP (7 times at Skate Canada, 3 at NHK Trophy).

Last edited:

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Went back and watched a couple more! I thought So Youn's program was really nice, liked the hand and arm movements throughout, 2A-3T was very good. And you know, there is something so magical and powerful about spread eagles and/or layback ina bauers done at the right moment... I love the integration of it in her program and want to see it more in others' programs too!! If I had to give one complaint, it would be how lowballed she gets in PCS compared to other skaters :scowl:

I agree! I've always loved her skating. She is so expressive and musical, and the judges don't give her any credit for it.

largeman

choice beef
Medalist
Eurosport pair keep going on about how Medvedeva would/could do quad in future, but I just don't see it. :shrug:

There just isn't the lift when she hits the ice like the other skaters. :/

I think she could. As long as she can get 2.75 revolutions in the air I think the tech panel will ratify it as a quad. Judges will award +2 or +3 GOEs. I can't wait.

andromache

Record Breaker
I'm not complaining this that much (even though that was another clear sign that the good old B.ESP without Simon, Chris or Nicky is definitely dead) but instead the myth of the Pogo-falls.

There are worse ladies skaters when it comes to falls and this season Gracie fell 5 times this season... Soo those people who were so happy to see Anna's falls, should be rooting for Gracie's falls this season?

I would have proposed KaetlynfallsTM for last season, considering she fell 10 times at GP (7 times at Skate Canada, 3 at NHK Trophy).

Eh, there are plenty of skaters who fall more than Anna, but in the past, when Anna falls, she really FALLS. IIRC, the comments on Anna's falls have always had to do with how extreme they are. Gracie's falls tend to be less dramatic, though her first fall today was as big as a former Anna fall. Maybe if she starts falling like that more often then people will comment on how funny they are?

eta

Medalist
Eurosport pair keep going on about how Medvedeva would/could do quad in future, but I just don't see it. :shrug:

There just isn't the lift when she hits the ice like the other skaters. :/

I think it's possible. Doesn't Shoma do his 4F with a fair amount of pre-rotation plus no steps (in SP) and still get +GOE even with a shaky landing?

JuliaHols

On the Ice
Wakaba - I haven't been this excited and hopeful for a lady skater since Yuna retired. Couple of ladies piqued my interest now and then, but I'm pretty much sold on her after her performances here. Big jumps, fast, powerful, and if she can improve her spins a bit and master mixing her "powerful" skating with more "soft, lyrical" skating in accordance with music and beat (which Yuna was a genius at) I think she'll be a great, great skater! :yay:

Ooh you should watch her ex Byakuyakou tmr then! It's lovely, and the more soft lyrical type :)