2016-17 GPF Mens SP | Page 28 | Golden Skate

2016-17 GPF Mens SP

Lysambre

Final Flight
They are each in a class of his own. Just different classes.

Yes, this, thank you :clapper:

Judges have to score them both in the same competition, but as skaters, they couldn't be more different. It doesn't mean either isn't the best at what they do :luv17:

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
Hah, remember how the NBC commentators talked about Yuzu having the top 3 SP scores? Now he has the top 5, if I'm not mistaken!

GPF 2015, WC 2016, NHK 2015, GPF 2016 and NHK 2016! He's owning the SPs! :love:

Next and now 6th highest is Javi's Euros SP I think, and only Shoma ever broke 100 too :)

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I wonder how people feel about the Chan's blades "grinding/growling like a bear" comment -- the Eurosport guys said multiple times that you barely hear anything as he skates by you.

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
I wonder how people feel about the Chan's blades "grinding/growling like a bear" comment -- the Eurosport guys said multiple times that you barely hear anything as he skates by you.

I didn't know the Eurosport guys were sitting rinkside while commentating today... cool!

qwertyskates

Medalist

This is such a different style of skating from Patrick's 4 Seasons or Rachmaninov where he skated with much more drama and intensity, changes in velocity, etc. This is smooth, relaxed Patrick. Probably Yuzu's skates were making more noises tonight.

Plisskin

Medalist
Anyone know what TaT said about Nathan? I'd be forever grateful for a translation. :thumbsup:

Yatagarasu

Record Breaker
And I think you said in it a previous post (it's just all happening too fast, I don't find it anymore :laugh: ) but yes, Yuzu seems to connect more to the audience and really, really pays attention to that :love: there are so many more moments were he looks directly at the audience, and not downwards - which is a common criticism of him. I'm such a proud fan right now :laugh:

Yes, it's not that I thought he was not good before but he's taken it up another level. I think he almost not only enjoys more but somehow has less pressure than he did the previous years. I wonder if the injury put some things into perspective.
I just watched it again on BESP, as I was with TAT live, and damn. He was downright sassy and cocky throughout the program; head nodding in invitation, hand beckoning, smirking, I think I caught him singing at least at one point. It was fabulous, so same, same :love:

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
Yes, it's not that I thought he was not good before but he's taken it up another level. I think he almost not only enjoys more but somehow has less pressure than he did the previous years. I wonder if the injury put some things into perspective.
I just watched it again on BESP, as I was with TAT live, and damn. He was downright sassy and cocky throughout the program; head nodding in invitation, hand beckoning, smirking, I think I caught him singing at least at one point. It was fabulous, so same, same :love:

Yeeeees, yes, yes the singing along is also pure :love: Seeing Yuzu skate always makes me happy, but this is now just on another level. And yes, it's probably really what he learned from the last, really bad injury... it's one of those things you just have to admire about him - he always learns from the bad things and comes back stronger :)

I hope you don't mind me asking, but is TAT still as in love with him as we are? :love:

chairmanmao

Final Flight
:laugh: Javi did deserve 3rd place - after all, Shoma completely messed up his quad combo, Nathan messed up both jumping passes including a UR fall on his 4F, and Rippon didn't have one quad let alone two. I was "whining" about his PCS, which if you look at the thread, I'm not the only one outraged by it.

I wouldn't say Javi has had any controversial wins, but he has had controversial scores (like his SP at Worlds last year, or his SP here of course). His scores at CoR2013 were also outrageously high (http://www.isuresults.com/results/gprus2013/gprus2013_Men_FS_Scores.pdf - five mistakes, including 2 falls -- even Orser in KnC outright said he's lucky to have been on the podium), and denied Menshov a spot on the podium (which would have been his first and only GP medal).

But of course, if you want to see the skating world burn by adding Javi to the list of controversial winners, then feel free. Seems like Mao's absence in the GPF is making you extra feisty. :sarcasm:

Then what is the problem? These drawn out and pointless sarcastic attempts at judging are a fail. I would think intelligent people by now would have figured out that from the judges POV there is a minimal difference in component scores between a disaster and perfect skate. I don't believe that its right but I've stopped being shock either. I wasn't acting scandalized when Hanyu and Chan where a mere 6 points less in PCS from Fernandez in Boston. And if I were you I wouldn't be so appalled by this result today. Everyone is in their rightful place and no one is stealing places from anyone. Fernandez doesn't have that fortunate talent unlike Hanyu and Chan. Just ask Machida and Ten.

friedbanana

End Turandot!
Final Flight
Great performances from Patrick, Yuzuru, and Adam! It was a nice surprise to see Patrick do a great SP at an international competition. His score should have cracked 100 imo! His skating is always so lovely to watch :love: And I feel like Yuzuru's SP is only getting better and better throughout the season. It was entertaining and fun to watch. Still some room to grow, but it looks like he won't peak at the GPF!

Hope Shoma is okay, and Javier redeems himself in the free! Wishing all six skaters to have clean free skates on Saturday. :hap10:

Yatagarasu

Record Breaker
I hope you don't mind me asking, but is TAT still as in love with him as we are? :love:

She is crazy about him, said brava, simply brava at the end :laugh: She was in shock he managed to land that 4Lo, she adores his 3A, calls it genius. Talked about the absolute freedom of his body and arms. Loved the slide, I think she was a little shocked, in a good way! She gushed after the program too, I forgot what she said, called him superb, free, really talented ... I don't even remember now! Definitely very much in love. I think the FS should be her kind of thing, so I'm looking forward to her comments.

Interspectator

Record Breaker
SP data Analysis by Geek on Ice
http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/showthread.php?61796-2016-17-GPF-Data-Analysis-Men
Thank you! now we can take the minutiae discussion to a new thread.

On the broader performance side,
-I think Shoma's Lavendar SP is just a bit bland. He can light up the world with a different SP. I really hope he's okay and it's just a bit of shock from the fall. Good job saving the rest of the program.
-I feel for Adam, doing so well and scoring low like that. --In other words, being the only one without the judges inflation. -Not enough inflation to go around. :(
-Javi's SP is great, but this performance not so great. Amaaaazing save on his second quad. How?
-Patrick was smooth and easy on the eyes. Everything flowing and gentle. His 3A has become so reliable
-Yuzu was so engaged in his performance and that save on the loop. Amazing. Even with the ice problems, he seems to have gotten it under control. Loved t.
-Nathan was ...quite good? He kind of got lost in the shuffle for me. But good job, Nathan.

I'M STILL MISSING BOYANG. :devil:

Last edited:

da96103

Record Breaker
I see Yuzu created his new signature jump. The Looping Tower of Pisa, and like the real thing, should have tumbled but did not.

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
She is crazy about him, said brava, simply brava at the end :laugh: She was in shock he managed to land that 4Lo, she adores his 3A, calls it genius. Talked about the absolute freedom of his body and arms. Loved the slide, I think she was a little shocked, in a good way! She gushed after the program too, I forgot what she said, called him superb, free, really talented ... I don't even remember now! Definitely very much in love. I think the FS should be her kind of thing, so I'm looking forward to her comments.

Yay! :love: I love her commentary about Yuzu so much, I'm close to thinking about learning Russian! (But it's of course still behind Japanese on the to do list, you know... :biggrin: ) Thank you so much for posting! :)