Patrick Chan | Page 397 | Golden Skate

Patrick Chan

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique

“Not a single skater can match his basic skating skills, edge control or power. His success is not only due to his early coaching (under the legendary Osborne Colton, who also trained Barbara Ann Scott and Don Jackson), but of course a testament to his training and hard work. Talent can only take you so far; it's hard work and dedication that separates the good from the great.”

jeff knows best :)

vivley

"pcskatingfan.com"
Medalist
nice blog post Viv like always...

breathing exercises rock ... if Patrick is doing those properly, he will be able not only to find the zone right before skating but also, if he loses focus during a skate, a few breathing tricks can help... so I am glad he is saying he is using those... basic but essential tool for all performers...

Thanks, 4everChiddy. Yes, breathing exercises for sure, and exercises to bring his focus back on track like this one. The quicker he can get back to his focus, the better.

Awesome, glad he believes in Patrick! I like how he honestly describes the transition from being a competitive skater to being a helper of other skaters. In little over a year, Patrick will be transitioning to a different life as well. I hope he gets some good pointers from Jeff and the other former champions.

blueberryhill

On the Ice
I'm in Ottawa for the Nationals and I just have a few things to share from this afternoon's men's practice. It's been a long day and I've been really busy since arriving in Ottawa last Sunday.

First, poor Liam Firus had a very rough practice. Even before he got around the rink once, he crashed heavily into the boards. It was Patrick who helped him up and they both shared a big laugh over it.

I did not see Marina Zoueva at the boards.

I watched the YT video that Vivley uploaded. It was so much more special live. I was mesmerized and yes he had a few problems with some of the jumps. But even though it was only a practice there was a hush that came over the crowd and most of the other skaters stood by the boards during Patrick's run through. Patrick had command over the ice. I've see Patrick skate in SOI and this is my second Nationals. I've felt excitement before watching him skate - today I got emotional. I love this program so much and watching him perform it live was magical.

About the jumps - I think Patrick was upset with himself for doubling the quad salchow because he sort of had to regroup. It was right after that he had the run-in with the boards. In addition to the gorgeous quad-triple in the run through I saw another one while another skater's music was on. And I thought I saw a triple axel-triple toe. I really tried to watch all the other men's programs so I didn't catch everything Patrick did even though he was obviously the highlight for me. I love Chiddy but I also love Canadian figure skating. (He also had an awkward fall that I missed but I heard someone close to me say "Oh Patrick!" and I saw Patrick down.)

Last, there was a new mom sitting directly behind me with her six-week old baby (I think it was a boy). As Patrick skated the mom said to her son - "You're watching Patrick Chan!" Yes Patrick is special, and I'm glad I have the opportunity to see him skate in competition again. :) :love:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I'm in Ottawa for the Nationals and I just have a few things to share from this afternoon's men's practice. It's been a long day and I've been really busy since arriving in Ottawa last Sunday.

First, poor Liam Firus had a very rough practice. Even before he got around the rink once, he crashed heavily into the boards. It was Patrick who helped him up and they both shared a big laugh over it.

I did not see Marina Zoueva at the boards.

I watched the YT video that Vivley uploaded. It was so much more special live. I was mesmerized and yes he had a few problems with some of the jumps. But even though it was only a practice there was a hush that came over the crowd and most of the other skaters stood by the boards during Patrick's run through. Patrick had command over the ice. I've see Patrick skate in SOI and this is my second Nationals. I've felt excitement before watching him skate - today I got emotional. I love this program so much and watching him perform it live was magical.

About the jumps - I think Patrick was upset with himself for doubling the quad salchow because he sort of had to regroup. It was right after that he had the run-in with the boards. In addition to the gorgeous quad-triple in the run through I saw another one while another skater's music was on. And I thought I saw a triple axel-triple toe. I really tried to watch all the other men's programs so I didn't catch everything Patrick did even though he was obviously the highlight for me. I love Chiddy but I also love Canadian figure skating. (He also had an awkward fall that I missed but I heard someone close to me say "Oh Patrick!" and I saw Patrick down.)

Last, there was a new mom sitting directly behind me with her six-week old baby (I think it was a boy). As Patrick skated the mom said to her son - "You're watching Patrick Chan!" Yes Patrick is special, and I'm glad I have the opportunity to see him skate in competition again. :) :love:

OMG... i think some people are even more uber than i am :) that baby is special ;)

vivley

"pcskatingfan.com"
Medalist
i was working... will be there tomorrow ;)

I wish you and Blueberryhill the best onsite experience ever! :agree::love:

Lucky you! Thanks so much for sharing! I love how Patrick helped Liam up - now that's being a good sport.

And the hush that came over the crowd and the emotion that came over you - I hope he noticed that in a good way - not as pressure on him, but rather how his art on ice inspires respect and the awe from the audience and other skaters.

So cute that the mom brought her baby to see Patrick! I hope she gets his autograph!

Do you mind if I quote your post on my blog?

vivley

"pcskatingfan.com"
Medalist
Here's another article where Patrick and the other guys talked about the rink being small:

http://ottawacitizen.com/sports/loc...-day-having-the-torch-passed-to-him-from-chan

“I lost track of space. But that’s what practices are for — to kind of get your bearings,” he said. “We were talking about it, all the guys in the change room: ‘The rink seems small.’ It feels square and really narrow — if I’m standing at one end, it looks really like a corridor. I think it’s just an optical illusion.”

calica

Final Flight
Here's the blog post with more photos, etc.:

ONGOING: Patrick Chan 2017 Canadian Nationals: Part 1

Patrick looks great!

Absolutely Great!! :love::drama:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C2kc4ygXgAAI_4o.jpg

So cute!!:hap36: