2017-2018 Programs by Discipline | Page 51 | Golden Skate

2017-2018 Programs by Discipline

blueberryhill

On the Ice
The great Leonard Cohen poem is wonderful, but are the lyrics of Hallelujah really the message that Patrick wants to bring to the close of his career? Isn't the song about a broken-spirited person railing against an uncaring God because his life turned out so disappointing?
Really? ;) This is what I read years ago. ;)

https://forums.digitalspy.com/discussion/954940/is-hallelujah-really-about-an-orgasm

https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&f=193&t=622298

I have no opinions on this one. :laugh:

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
For those of you who love KD Lange's beautiful version, there will always be the beautiful Hubbell/Donohue SD for you guys to enjoy. :D

https://youtu.be/p7r8OR8broc

No offense to anyone who likes the Three Tenors version, but I just listened to it and if that's the version someone is used to, then I can see why they would think the song is cheesy. I think that might be the cheesiest version of the song I've heard. It seemed very sanitized and safe like safe to play at a department store.

For those of you who love KD Lange's beautiful version, there will always be the beautiful Hubbell/Donohue SD for you guys to enjoy. :D

https://youtu.be/p7r8OR8broc

Thank you. That was gorgeous dancing. Will H&D challenge the Shibs this year?

I see now how it is possible to skate fast to that song, which we think of as slow. It is written in 12/8 time, so the skaters can go ONE-two-three-FOUR-five-six-TWO-two-three-FOUR-five-six even on sustained notes in the melody.

Last edited:

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
Thank you. That was gorgeous dancing. Will H&D challenge the Shibs this year?

I see now how it is possible to skate fast to that song, which we think of as slow. It is written in 12/8 time, so the skaters can go ONE-two-three-FOUR-five-six-TWO-two-three-FOUR-five-six even on sustained notes in the melody.

H/D can challenge the Shibs as can C/B. The top three American ice dance teams are highly competitive. However, I also think the Shibs have the potential to challenge for more than what most on this forum think, and I also think H/D at their best also deserve to be challenging too.

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
I also think the Shibs have the potential to challenge for more than what most on this forum think, and I also think H/D at their best also deserve to be challenging too.

They keep push, push, pushing each other. And they just may push themselves right over a couple more teams.

I think the same about the Japanese ladies. A couple young American men. The Korean junior ladies. Competition breeds competitiveness. The Russian ladies, Japanese men, and Chinese pairs have all pushed each other up the ranks, and the U.S. dancers have reached that point this quadrennium. The top three Canadian dancers now pushing each other as well. But the depth in U.S. dance--there are a slew of teams pushing even behind these top three.

sarama

Medalist
I'm fairly certain that Radionova's fs will be a warhorse..... are we looking at another Carmen? Im still trying to decipher her "hints" in the golden skate article.
I have no idea, and I don't usually like Carmen, but Radionics would be a glorious Carmen

lauravvv

Medalist
Country
Latvia
well i am glad that I opened your horizons in sharing how I perceive that music. Sorry not sorry. It's all fine, we are all entitled to our own preferences. For the records, I am a Cohen fan, so I know the words very well.
YMMV
Of course we can all have our own preferences and opinions. I was just truly surprised abou yours. Actually, if you like Cohen's original, then it's not so surprising that you don't like Buckley's version that much - they are very different indeed. Cohen's original is much more understated. Plus, Buckley did give the song a meaning that was/is a bit different from Cohen's original. Although, while I must admit I was not completely sure until reading the discussion under the first link posted by blueberryhill, I had noticed that Cohen himself changed the lyrics to the song quite a lot in later years, also giving it a different meaning. But then, returning to liking Cohen's original and not liking Buckley's version, I know that for a lot of people it's the other way around. Apparently they think that Cohen's version is too understated, and not emotional enough to really express the supposed meaning of the lyrics. I personally like both versions (and also their "subversions") each in their own way, as I do K. D. Lang's version.

bevybean

On the Ice
Of course we can all have our own preferences and opinions. I was just truly surprised abou yours. Actually, if you like Cohen's original, then it's not so surprising that you don't like Buckley's version that much - they are very different indeed. Cohen's original is much more understated. Plus, Buckley did give the song a meaning that was/is a bit different from Cohen's original. Although, while I must admit I was not completely sure until reading the discussion under the first link posted by blueberryhill, I had noticed that Cohen himself changed the lyrics to the song quite a lot in later years, also giving it a different meaning. But then, returning to liking Cohen's original and not liking Buckley's version, I know that for a lot of people it's the other way around. Apparently they think that Cohen's version is too understated, and not emotional enough to really express the supposed meaning of the lyrics. I personally like both versions (and also their "subversions") each in their own way, as I do K. D. Lang's version.

Although I recognized the sexual references a long time ago, the song still makes me think of Shrek. It's where I first heard the song and I guess first impressions really do last.

there won't be any pantomime.

This line begs for a combination spin:

She tied you to her kitchen chair
She broke your throne and she cut your hair

Patrick starts with a scratch spin with his arms held tightly against his sides, goes to a sit spit and topples over, then regains his balance for a haircutter. :yes:

gkelly

Record Breaker

Patrick starts with a scratch spin with his arms held tightly against his sides, goes to a sit spit and topples over, then regains his balance for a haircutter. :yes:

Nice puns :)
I don't think it's physically possible to go from a scratch spin with arms tight against the sides into a sitspin. Maybe by opening up the arms again and changing feet.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique

:hopelessness:

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
The great Leonard Cohen poem is wonderful, but are the lyrics of Hallelujah really the message that Patrick wants to bring to the close of his career? Isn't the song about a broken-spirited person railing against an uncaring God because his life turned out so disappointing?

I have read that Hallelujah is about the failure of a relationship. I remember they even said which of Cohen's many women it was written about. Cohen was always a spiritual man. He was once a monk IIRC. Sometimes I think Hallelujah is about how our feelings, when we are in the depth of romantic obsession, are often like the feelings of someone struggling with their faith in God. Faith, the substance of things hoped for and not seen, is so often like our feelings of romantic love. Intangible, elusive and always changing.

For the record I love the Jeff Buckley version and the KD Lang version but for me Leonard Cohen songs are best sang by the man himself (not unlike Tom Waite songs). He may not have the best voice but he does have the authenticity of being the author. Personally my favourite Cohen songs are almost never used. I would love to see someone take on Dance me to the end of Love.

Krunchii

Record Breaker
From the practices at the South Korean JGP and Olympic Selection Competition

Yura Min/Alexander Gamelin (Ice Dance)
SD: Luis Fonsi - Despacito, Mariah Carey - My All, Thalia - Mujer Latina
FD: Sohyang - Arirang

Su Yeon Kim/Hyungtae Kim (Pairs)
SP: Queen - Another One Bites the Dust, We Will Rock You
FS: Across the Universe Soundtrack

Kyu Eun Kim/ Alex Kangchan Kam (Pairs)
SP: Historia de un Amor, Mambo No.8
FS: Man of La Mancha

Na Hyun Kim
FS: Scheherazade

Sihyeong Li
FS: Nausicaa Valley of the Wind Soundtrack

Suh Hyun Son
FS: Les Miserables

So Hyun Ahn
FS: Romeo and Juliet (2013 version)

Haejin Kim
FS: Samson and Delilah

Barb

Record Breaker
From the practices at the South Korean JGP and Olympic Selection Competition

Yura Min/Alexander Gamelin (Ice Dance)
SD: Luis Fonsi - Despacito, Mariah Carey - My All, Thalia - Mujer Latina
FD: Sohyang - Arirang

I wonder how many Mujer latina we will have this season, the last latin dance (2012) was a nightmare :scowl: