2017-2018 Programs by Discipline | Page 50 | Golden Skate

2017-2018 Programs by Discipline

Kittosuni

Medalist
Im usually not a Patrick Chan fan but I have to say I'm excited to see his program since his music choices are really good and suits him really well.

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
i like your positive outlook on things.. however one detail though..

in the interview, patrick says he let his team choose the music for him this time.. he didn't want to micro-manage and get too involved... as really what matters the most is the content... not really music...

i think that's part of why i am so shocked as Patrick has always been a great factor in his musical choices... and has always focused on style, not content...

in the end, I am sure that Patrick will not suddenly turn into a skater I can no longer appreciate... that's not my beef with the musical choices...

i am more surprised that he had very little to say in the selection as if he is avoiding to go with a more personal like project like the beatles were (favourite songs of his parents) or Journey, composed specifically for him by one of his besties...

So yeah.. very surprised... and on top of that... both songs are similar... guitar and voice.. slow... etc...

in any case, I agree with you and chapis.. that i will still love patrick's skating.. but will these programs be my favourite of his? probably not.

oh, apologies, I was not really aware of this choice-makers issue (ignorant me)...I might me 'mighty silly' (LOL) about what my gut is telling me, but I do think that even if Patrick did not choose the music himself, it still reflects somehow on his style and sensibility (at least I see that). And even if he decided not to choose by himself to avoid getting too personally involved, I do feel that his skating aesthetic won't let him stay completely unattached - he's just too musically sensible and blends too seamlessly with the music every time I see him. And even Patrick himself could be surprised if and how strongly he will connect with the music, based on how choreography/season will come along...

sarama

Medalist
I like Patrick choices. They are not super obvious, a bit different than usual, but still very much in his alley. And seriously compared to everyone else's, they look even better

lauravvv

Medalist
Country
Latvia
For the record, I am a major cheeseball and that's exactly why I'm into Patrick's cheeseball music choices.

well then everyone is crying thanks to Marina .... the ones who are happy with patrick's choices, the ones are disappointed, and the ones who have this corny cheeseball sensitivity while watching a beautiful skater to tacky music LOL
Honestly, I never thought I would live to see a day when someone calls 'Hallelujah', especially Buckley's version, "cheesball" and "tacky". Apparently you people haven't really listened to the words (or it seems so). I think ways and intentions how/for what it is used sometimes can be a bit tacky, as in some cases skaters/dancers who are using the song don't really understand what it's about and are trying to express something else, but the song itself? No (at least in my strong opinion). Probably I have such strong opinion about it because I first heard the song in Buckley's version and then Cohen's before it became a warhorse in figure skating. I really listened to the words then.

people thought the journey was too intimate... this version to me, is on the dull side... so i am wondering what they are addressing here if anything at all... seems like a very strange option which is even more the case, when watching the interview...
And I also did not think I would live to see a day when someone would call Buckley's version of 'Hallelujah' dull and, what is more, when someone would suggest that it's so dull that it's impossible to adress anything with it. To me, this is the most sensitive and emotional version of the song (sensitive both to the words and emotions being expressed), so nuanced and rich with different intonations - both sutble and quiet and also strong and close to anthemic, plus so much inbetween.

Tutto

Record Breaker
So far it seems no skater 'escaped' at least one warhorse - I consider Hallelujah a warhorse. Disappointed with both Patrick's choices but ...:eek:hwell:

Anastasi14

On the Ice
Well, that's neither what I expected nor what I wanted for Patrick. I'd definitely prefer at least the SP in different style. But. I do understand why he chose this music. This music is not to fight, not to prove anything. This is a very touching and personal way of saying goodbye.

And I know for sure that I gonna have goosebumps, I gonna cry every time he performs this programs. :cry: Someone please make sure that I'm ok at the end of the season.

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
The Jeff Buckley version seems to be a more personal version and less frills and orchestrations than other versions. It may not be "powerful" in terms of production, but it's raw and simple. I think that's the feeling Patrick wants to give the audience.

These particular choices have good possibilities to be iconic for Patrick. Given the lyric change rule in the post COP era, I have always wondered why people don't push/commit to this change far enough. Although there are some instant classics like Josh's Give me love and Javier's Black Betty. It can be something that can set himself apart from the youngsters (imitators), other champions before him and more importantly personal breakthroughs. More personal, intimate, chilled, effortless approach and not harsh or exaggerated or trying too hard. The antithesis to the ostentatious theatrical style to the likes of Plushenko/Machida/Candeloro/Fernández/Nathen's Saint Saens for example.

Less can be more. Kill them softly. It will be interesting to see his choreography to see how much more polish he can define these movements with his gorgeous edges, body carriage to really set himself apart, and hopefully translate to a bigger PCS gap to the rest of the field he deserves.

BTW 4everchan Jeff Buckley's 'Hallelujah' is far from dull. It is the most sincere, genuine, unspoilt version true to the spirit of the song and very human, therefore deeply affecting and emotional. It is not about showing off vocal chords, how well one can play the guitar, how great the orchestra/production value is, but really just a guy with a guitar. Bare necessities. Let Patrick and his Blades do the talking, simple.

(I find myself :laugh:, is this your secret plan to play down his choices just get us riled up defending them and cheer him on? :biggrin:)

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
Nah 4everchan is genuinely disappointed. The two of us like kd lang's version. Though I personally don't mind this version.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
So far it seems no skater 'escaped' at least one warhorse - I consider Hallelujah a warhorse. Disappointed with both Patrick's choices but ...:eek:hwell:

"Hamilton" and music composed specifically for the skater ... whatever you think of them, Jason is not skating to warhorses.:biggrin:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Honestly, I never thought I would live to see a day when someone calls 'Hallelujah', especially Buckley's version, "cheesball" and "tacky". Apparently you people haven't really listened to the words (or it seems so). I think ways and intentions how/for what it is used sometimes can be a bit tacky, as in some cases skaters/dancers who are using the song don't really understand what it's about and are trying to express something else, but the song itself? No (at least in my strong opinion). Probably I have such strong opinion about it because I first heard the song in Buckley's version and then Cohen's before it became a warhorse in figure skating. I really listened to the words then.

And I also did not think I would live to see a day when someone would call Buckley's version of 'Hallelujah' dull and, what is more, when someone would suggest that it's so dull that it's impossible to adress anything with it. To me, this is the most sensitive and emotional version of the song (sensitive both to the words and emotions being expressed), so nuanced and rich with different intonations - both sutble and quiet and also strong and close to anthemic, plus so much inbetween.

well i am glad that I opened your horizons in sharing how I perceive that music. Sorry not sorry. It's all fine, we are all entitled to our own preferences. For the records, I am a Cohen fan, so I know the words very well.
YMMV

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
oh, apologies, I was not really aware of this choice-makers issue (ignorant me)...I might me 'mighty silly' (LOL) about what my gut is telling me, but I do think that even if Patrick did not choose the music himself, it still reflects somehow on his style and sensibility (at least I see that). And even if he decided not to choose by himself to avoid getting too personally involved, I do feel that his skating aesthetic won't let him stay completely unattached - he's just too musically sensible and blends too seamlessly with the music every time I see him. And even Patrick himself could be surprised if and how strongly he will connect with the music, based on how choreography/season will come along...
this is something I have mentioned to others... in the end, Patrick will embrace the music and it will become personal... and he will be emotional about it... so that's why I feel confused with what he revealed in the interview... it's impossible for a skater who is at this level of musicality to block emotions related to music. What is needed, if that's what caused anxiety in the past, is to learn how to deal with emotions while performing.
Classical musicians have to do this all the time. When a piece gets intense emotionally, if as a performer, you get too tense or too passionate physically, your playing will suffer. So we are taught to live the emotion at another level, not in our muscle mass, to create flowing and focused performances. No matter the music, Patrick still has to learn that. He gets in the zone but doesn't always manage to remain into it. In the interview, he seems to say, if I understood properly, that letting his coaches pick the music will help him not to focus too much on every detail of the games... not to micro-manage... however, if there is one thing that he has to do, it's the performance... and I believe that addressing the emotional content of his music should be done right away... and not be taken lightly.. music, whatever it is, will get to you...

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Well, that's neither what I expected nor what I wanted for Patrick. I'd definitely prefer at least the SP in different style. But. I do understand why he chose this music. This music is not to fight, not to prove anything. This is a very touching and personal way of saying goodbye.

And I know for sure that I gonna have goosebumps, I gonna cry every time he performs this programs. :cry: Someone please make sure that I'm ok at the end of the season.

come visit us in Patrick's fan fest... that's where we cry and laugh.... warning : some of us are ugly criers.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
These particular choices have good possibilities to be iconic for Patrick. Given the lyric change rule in the post COP era, I have always wondered why people don't push/commit to this change far enough. Although there are some instant classics like Josh's Give me love and Javier's Black Betty. It can be something that can set himself apart from the youngsters (imitators), other champions before him and more importantly personal breakthroughs. More personal, intimate, chilled, effortless approach and not harsh or exaggerated or trying too hard. The antithesis to the ostentatious theatrical style to the likes of Plushenko/Machida/Candeloro/Fernández/Nathen's Saint Saens for example.

Less can be more. Kill them softly. It will be interesting to see his choreography to see how much more polish he can define these movements with his gorgeous edges, body carriage to really set himself apart, and hopefully translate to a bigger PCS gap to the rest of the field he deserves.

BTW 4everchan Jeff Buckley's 'Hallelujah' is far from dull. It is the most sincere, genuine, unspoilt version true to the spirit of the song and very human, therefore deeply affecting and emotional. It is not about showing off vocal chords, how well one can play the guitar, how great the orchestra/production value is, but really just a guy with a guitar. Bare necessities. Let Patrick and his Blades do the talking, simple.

(I find myself :laugh:, is this your secret plan to play down his choices just get us riled up defending them and cheer him on? :biggrin:)

i wish i were that smart and :devil:

LOL :laugh2:

PS I have listened to another recording of the Buckley's... it's better than the first one i had heard and has a very long guitar introduction, which could be nice depending on the music cuts... but honestly, I do love KD Lang's version as the emotion is strong and opens a whole new dimension for me...

The great Leonard Cohen poem is wonderful, but are the lyrics of Hallelujah really the message that Patrick wants to bring to the close of his career? Isn't the song about a broken-spirited person railing against an uncaring God because his life turned out so disappointing?

Last edited:

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
The great Leonard Cohen poem is wonderful, but are the lyrics of Hallelujah really the message that Patrick wants to bring to the close of his career? Isn't the song about a broken-spirited person railing against an uncaring God because his life turned out so disappointing?

4everchan mentioned in one of his earlier posts that Patrick said that he actually did not choose the music himself, so it's kind of hard to judge/presume on message he wants to cary out by 'Hallelujah' and its lyrics...But since I have a strong faith and trust in Patrick to embrace the song, the emotion and the power by his skating and interpretation, my wild guess is that this sadness, melancholy, reflectiveness of lyrics I get could be translated into Patrick's sadness, nostalgy over farewell to his competitive career. At the same time, this choice and lyrics could be taken in a bit 'twisted' way I think - as being conscious and aware over those weaker, doubtful, 'down' moments experienced, but getting at peace with all of that due to that farewell, appreciating the fullness of all experience and making a reflection of it by using such piece. Either way - I do feel that this reflective, lyrical vibe will be very prominent in Patrick's interpretation.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
4everchan mentioned in one of his earlier posts that Patrick said that he actually did not choose the music himself, so it's kind of hard to judge/presume on message he wants to cary out by 'Hallelujah' and its lyrics...But since I have a strong faith and trust in Patrick to embrace the song, the emotion and the power by his skating and interpretation, my wild guess is that this sadness, melancholy, reflectiveness of lyrics I get could be translated into Patrick's sadness, nostalgy over farewell to his competitive career. At the same time, this choice and lyrics could be taken in a bit 'twisted' way I think - as being conscious and aware over those weaker, doubtful, 'down' moments experienced, but getting at peace with all of that due to that farewell, appreciating the fullness of all experience and making a reflection of it by using such piece. Either way - I do feel that this reflective, lyrical vibe will be very prominent in Patrick's interpretation.

hehe at this point, I am not even sure Patrick has read the lyrics with caution... he said " music is not really important... it's all about the jump"

this is what shocked me the most... I guess he is trusting his team and doesn't care much this year about anything... as long as he can land clean programs...

we will see... I think it's too soon to really make any calls about the meaning of songs he hasn't chosen and didn't particularly know (in the case of the Kansas song).

I think that the lyrics of both songs are not super happy... and was hoping for something completely different... but in the end, Patrick is Patrick... and of course, i had my 24 hours of trauma... but i will get over it... and put back the c in my name ;)

Bluediamonds09

Medalist
I'm fairly certain that Radionova's fs will be a warhorse..... are we looking at another Carmen? Im still trying to decipher her "hints" in the golden skate article.