“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Re:Mariah

But what are the programs? Is she using Send in the Clowns :shrug:

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
Why does the video have so many dislikes?, the choreo is average and predictable, but her skating is fabulous, and more considering we are in july.

You know why. Same reason certain people from certain fandoms troll certain skaters' videos.

vlaurend

Final Flight
Are you guys wondering if Ro is doing Mariah's choreo this year? I could be wrong--he could have made a trip to Cali that I wasn't aware of...but I'm pretty sure he is not doing her choreo this year. Mariah certainly hasn't been back in Monument at all for choreo.

I have it on good authority that Mariah was working on SP choreo with Philip Mills this past week.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I have it on good authority that Mariah was working on SP choreo with Philip Mills this past week.

That explains the Facebook entry in the earlier post, so I wonder who is doing her LP? It seems a little late to try to learn Rohene's choreo.

And @VietGrlTerifa, I have no doubt that Philip Mills is a good choreographer (doesn't he work with a lot of Japanese skaters?), just that Mariah seemed to hit the sweet spot with Rohene, and as I said, without Rohene's choreo, she would not have done nearly so well last year. But that is just IMHO, and we shall see....

ioanna

Record Breaker
That explains the Facebook entry in the earlier post, so I wonder who is doing her LP? It seems a little late to try to learn Rohene's choreo.

And @VietGrlTerifa, I have no doubt that Philip Mills is a good choreographer (doesn't he work with a lot of Japanese skaters?)
He only worked with Tatsuki Machida and Haruka Imai as far as I know.

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
Why does the video have so many dislikes?, the choreo is average and predictable, but her skating is fabulous, and more considering we are in july.

You know why. Same reason certain people from certain fandoms troll certain skaters' videos.

this is (unfortunately) already a predictable and permanent feature is case of some skaters and their videos...Always same people over same skaters AND with same 'critique'/'complaints'. It's getting old I have to say. And those appearance/weight/hair etc. remarks when you have nothing negative to say about skating itself...just low to witness and I refuse to get on such level. Good for Karen to be is such good shape in July, 'haters will hate, skaters will skate', you go girl!

Karen is in that level already? people trolling her? I am so proud of her :yes2: :clap:. But who? Mirai fans? Gracie fans?

I suppose that there are some other US ladies fans out there, but more like seasoned trolls who strive on spreading pure negativity and hate over skaters who are talented, skilled enough to shine and God forbid to threaten their favourites...

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker

And @VietGrlTerifa, I have no doubt that Philip Mills is a good choreographer (doesn't he work with a lot of Japanese skaters?), just that Mariah seemed to hit the sweet spot with Rohene, and as I said, without Rohene's choreo, she would not have done nearly so well last year. But that is just IMHO, and we shall see....

He did Ashley's programs for a few seasons. I actually think his programs were really good -- Black Swan FS from 2011-2012 and Red Violin SP from 2012-2013.

I liked Rohene's programs for Mariah last season, but I'd argue the fact she asserted herself was a bigger factor in her breakthrough.

Tutto

Record Breaker
Matt Savoie listed Windmills of Your Mind as his short program in the Olympic season 2005-2006. But I don't know where he performed it, if at all. By the time of U.S. Nationals he had reverted to the previous year's magnificent short to Barber's Adagio for Strings, which he then used for Nationals, Four Continents and the Olympics. Here he is at Four Continents, where the music is actually announced as Windmills of Your Mind. (At least, that's what they showed on the screen -- I don't actually speak Chinese. :) )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4nu1CoBDT0

Edit: Here are Albena Denkova and Peter Tchernyshev in a pro exhibition with a kind of literal interpretation (of wheels within wheels). I think the vocalist is Barbra Streisand.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6u1M3vS6-w

If you let the channel play, the next vid is Dusty Springfield's version, accompanied by a montage of skaters. :)

Thanks, Mathman, you are a mine of information as always! What a beautiful skater Matt was... I wonder why he scrapped the Windmills program, probably decided to go with tried & tested in the end ..sigh... Had he not done so, who knows maybe the Windmills would have been a warhorse by now and we would be rolling up our eyes and shaking our heads - not the Windmills again! :laugh:
To think about it, behind every warhorse there is a skater/team who dared to skate to it for the first time - T/D Bolero comes to mind. Hey, we could start a thread and try to trace the origins of each warhorse in FS that could occupy us until the end of an off season for sure :)

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
Thanks, Mathman, you are a mine of information as always! What a beautiful skater Matt was... I wonder why he scrapped the Windmills program, probably decided to go with tried & tested in the end ..sigh... Had he not done so, who knows maybe the Windmills would have been a warhorse by now and we would be rolling up our eyes and shaking our heads - not the Windmills again! :laugh:
To think about it, behind every warhorse there is a skater/team who dared to skate to it for the first time - T/D Bolero comes to mind. Hey, we could start a thread and try to trace the origins of each warhorse in FS that could occupy us until the end of an off season for sure :)

yes to 'Warhorse evolution' thread!!!:laugh:

Because skaters want to pick the most dramatic and melodic pieces for a coherent 4 minute program. Many skaters have used different pieces but there are some pieces that are constant. It's been a while since I heard a skater use "Habanera". As for black and red, it's pretty iconic costuming for the character of Carmen.

I'd like to push back on this a bit. It's true that it's been awhile since we've seen a Carmen program from the any of the top skaters (at least as far as I can remember), but that doesn't mean that Habanera isn't a popular choice for Carmen programs. In my memory, Habanera -- and even Habanera+footwork -- is the most common feature of all Carmen programs (at least, when women skaters are involved). In fact, Gabby Daleman, our other big-name Carmen so far this year, announced her program with a clip of herself skating a step sequence to Habanera. (Although I give Gabby credit: she has put a different twist on this choice by including vocals.)

I think it is legitimate to complain about skaters reusing the same cuts of music. Karen may be admirable in her attack, and the music may be powerful no matter how many times the audience has heard it paired with the same skating elements, but there is still something derivative about a program composed in this way... literally because it was derived from other figure skating programs rather than from the original score.

How amazing would it be to see a Carmen step out onto the ice in a costume composed of pinks, riotous green, and black fringe, like this design (far right), and then skate her step sequence to the flirty and melodic opening section of Seguidilla rather than Habanera? The music and general lore of Carmen is rich with possibility, yet skaters resort to tinkering around the edges of a few costume and musical options over and over again. I sympathize with audience members who want to see something different.

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
Well consider the last Carmen/Habanera received 74.64 at the Sochi Olympics with a 3T3T, as long as ANY new Carmen is relatively better with harder tech content (easily better step sequence, ss), it should receive well ahead of that. Plus there's all those post Sochi inflation compare to last quads, so there's no reason this shouldn't score higher than 74.64 going clean and well performed.
Judges sure set themselves for it didn't they haha!

Anyone else doing Carmen this year? They should!

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Well consider the last Carmen/Habanera received 74.64 at the Sochi Olympics with a 3T3T, as long as ANY new Carmen is relatively better with harder tech content (easily better step sequence, ss), it should receive well ahead of that. Plus there's all those post Sochi inflation compare to last quads, so there's no reason this shouldn't score higher than 74.64 going clean and well performed.
Judges sure set themselves for it didn't they haha!

Anyone else doing Carmen this year? They should!

Gabby Daleman's SP.