2017-2018 Programs by Discipline | Page 56 | Golden Skate

2017-2018 Programs by Discipline

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
Apparently this is the SP for Nathan Chen. Song is Nemesis by Benjamin Clementine.

Edited: Apparently the person who had the clips took them down.

ETA: Have to say -- it's a pretty fresh choice. If he can maintain the performance level here AND do the quads, it's going to be a tough program to beat.

What S.L.Bourne has done with Chen is unbelievable! From quite boring "just skate and jump" into an artist with touch of her beautiful choreography. That's exactly what Nathan needed. And you could see how he really enjoys to skate it.
This SP definitely going to be one of my favorites in Men's field this season. Let's call it nemesis...

Nathan Chen already had the artistry, albeit predominantly shown in his junior programs so far. Shae-Lynn Bourne knew how to take advantage of it.

Nathan Chen's SP is exactly what he needs. It's young and fresh, but not immature or juniorish. It also shows off what many already knew he had in him and shows off his skating skills well.

thanks a lot, Mrs. P for posting the news

I do think that Shae-Lynn really managed to 'get out' that 'daringness' of Nathan's skating personality I saw last season. He steps on ice and dares everyone to look at him and at the same time - he dares himself to push harder every chance he gets. There is something very intriguing and intricate in a way Nathan's movement goes with Clementine's song - it's far from being obvious and show-y and it proves how conscious performer and skater Nathan is despite his young age. And agree with ioanna on artistry, whatever people define it - for me, Nathan always showed musicality, a good level of sensitivity over expression and performance quality, however last season I felt somehow that choreographies/program concepts were overshadowing those things; the stress put was just too heavy on jumps side. Saying that, I feel personally that this was a pretty good strategy for first full senior season of Nathan - he was able definitely put himself on the map and to stand out in his own way, despite sneering, critique and pure, obnoxious hate of some. Being back with 'artistry' - I do feel, based on SP, that Shae-Lynn really was able to capture the balance between Nathan's ambitious content and his own ambition to put out an interesting, exciting, full-rounded performance. Cannot wait for his first competition

Neenah16

On the Ice
Nathan already has a very good SP last season, but I think this one look more promising.

However, it is the FP I am worried about, last season his free was really just focused on jumps and it was very disappointing. I am hoping for a better program this season, since I think he is an exciting skater with so much potential.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
thanks a lot, Mrs. P for posting the news

I do think that Shae-Lynn really managed to 'get out' that 'daringness' of Nathan's skating personality I saw last season. He steps on ice and dares everyone to look at him and at the same time - he dares himself to push harder every chance he gets.

Yes ... it's like Johnny Weir said last year: Nathan has swagger. He's similar to Javier in that way, and Yuzuru when he knows he's a jump ahead of the field. Also Adam, especially since he's been fully open with who he is and his vision. And there's a unique Nathan twist on it. I think this is a large part of what mesmerizes me when Nathan skates. He has uncommon conviction in his own vision at such a young age and at this early point in his career.

There is something very intriguing and intricate in a way Nathan's movement goes with Clementine's song - it's far from being obvious and show-y and it proves how conscious performer and skater Nathan is despite his young age. And agree with ioanna on artistry, whatever people define it - for me, Nathan always showed musicality, a good level of sensitivity over expression and performance quality, however last season I felt somehow that choreographies/program concepts were overshadowing those things; the stress put was just too heavy on jumps side. Saying that, I feel personally that this was a pretty good strategy for first full senior season of Nathan - he was able definitely put himself on the map and to stand out in his own way, despite sneering, critique and pure, obnoxious hate of some.

I couldn't understand it. So many of the critiques seemed to me to be a stubborn refusal to see anything Nathan was doing except a long prep with a jump ... rinse and repeat. Having said that ... people have every right to like what they like and who they like. Some of my favorites, and what I love and appreciate in them, leave other people scratching their heads.

But for me, Nathan always showed uncommon musicality and subtle, committed artistry.

Being back with 'artistry' - I do feel, based on SP, that Shae-Lynn really was able to capture the balance between Nathan's ambitious content and his own ambition to put out an interesting, exciting, full-rounded performance. Cannot wait for his first competition

Kudos to Shae-Lynne!:points: And ... will the comp season never come? .....

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
I wonder.... This may turn out not to be the case. So far it seems Swan Lake and Black Swan are ahead, for that award.;)

Yeah, a lot less people are using La La Land than I had anticipated. There are rumors that even C/B dropped it.

anyanka

Record Breaker
Yeah, a lot less people are using La La Land than I had anticipated. There are rumors that even C/B dropped it.

It's like at the Oscars, when they incorrectly pronounced it as Best Picture, and *maybe* now all of the skaters are following suit by saying they're really using the music to Moonlight. ;)

For those of you who are just reading it: I AM NOT SAYING THEY ARE ALL SWITCHING. I'M BEING FACETIOUS. STEP AWAY FROM THE SEND KEY.

Although - the score to Moonlight is GORGEOUS and Zagitova's team was canny in choosing it.

Celine

On the Ice

IIRC, C/B "announced" their use of it quite early, implying a "staking their claim" type move. Assuming it is true that they their program had to be switched, then this probably disappoints some others skaters who might have chosen it.
It could also kind of be a reverse psychology-sort-of-thing, with many people assuming that "everyone else is going to want to use it", so in the end, everyone comes up with the same argument not to risk inviting comparisons, and nobody ends up using it. LOL.

Barb

Record Breaker
IIRC, C/B "announced" their use of it quite early, implying a "staking their claim" type move. Assuming it is true that they their program had to be switched, then this probably disappoints some others skaters who might have chosen it.
It could also kind of be a reverse psychology-sort-of-thing, with many people assuming that "everyone else is going to want to use it", so in the end, everyone comes up with the same argument not to risk inviting comparisons, and nobody ends up using it. LOL.

Do you think they could be so calculating?, anyway the rumour says that they already had the program (la la land) and changed it, then they changed the second program again, apparently they have had 3 programs so far. Unless they themselves have created that rumor :p.

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Do you think they could be so calculating?, anyway the rumour says that they already had the program (la la land) and changed it, then they changed the second program again, apparently they have had 3 programs so far. Unless they themselves have created that rumor :p.

Didn't they do something like this 1-2 seasons ago on changing FD's or is it just my imagination?

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Were not you who said the choreography costs about $ 15,000? Have they already spent $45,000?

It depends on the choreographer. If Igor is doing the choreography for C/B he's not charging 15 grand a pop for choreo changes. The post you are thinking about I had said some singles choreographers (Lori Nichol to be exact) were charging 15 grand for an LP last I knew.

ETA: If Christopher Dean is responsible for setting one or both of their choreographies IDK what he charges at this point in time.

Also, when I said in my last post that they have changed their programs several times in the last few seasons, that doesn't mean getting all new choreo every time. Like for example their original FD choice this coming season was La La Land, but if they only decided on it without getting the choreo then it costed them nothing to really change. See what I mean?

Anni234

Ina Bauer
Record Breaker
Country
Estonia
Sometimes I find myself wishing we didn't us as much pronouns (he, she, they), because lord knows sometimes it is impossible to catch on to who we're talking about. :laugh:

elbkup

Power without conscience is a savage weapon
Medalist
Country
United-States
Nathan Chen already had the artistry, albeit predominantly shown in his junior programs so far. Shae-Lynn Bourne knew how to take advantage of it.

I really like this music!! She probably challenged Nathan before the process began:. Choose a piece you truly love, something that will resonate with you for the full season, a piece you enjoy moving to, one you know will expand your creativity in full spectrum, one you can grow with, envision intracacies and subtleties over time.... I will do the rest... Great job Nathan!!:clap:

yyyskate

Record Breaker
Also, Nathan's SP music is a 3/4! which is one tempo I personally resonated with very much as well, which makes me adores Nathan and his choice so much more:luv17::love::cool: