Patrick Chan | Page 518 | Golden Skate

Patrick Chan

vivley

"pcskatingfan.com"
Medalist
Yesss! Just bought my ticket. It is not easy for me to get there too, because I live in Lower Saxony, but a six hour ride for seeing Patrick is acceptable. :agree2: The prices at Oberstdorf are very good too. I payed less then 60€ for an all event ticket.

:console: to 4everchan. But you have Skate Canada international and nationals!

So happy for you, Kuan! Looking forward to your live report!

----------------

But before we go to Germany... first, there's High Performance Camp starting next week!

https://twitter.com/twofortheice/status/900789042144530432

August 30 is the first day - hope they do some more photo shoots so Blueberryhill can create more photochans! :laugh:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
So happy for you, Kuan! Looking forward to your live report!

----------------

But before we go to Germany... first, there's High Performance Camp starting next week!

https://twitter.com/twofortheice/status/900789042144530432

August 30 is the first day - hope they do some more photo shoots so Blueberryhill can create more photochans! :laugh:

yeah.... i m sending the unicorn away soon... so it can be with chiddy as i will not lol... so i will need a new avatar lol

skatingfan4ever

"Our blade takes us in the most amazing places."
Medalist
Country
United-States
skatingfan4ever I love what you have written in your post... I agree with Patrick's LP as being something special.... though, I think you were a bit too gobsmacked to noticed that he marked most jumps including the lutz and flip at the end. So one quad was landed with two beautiful triple axels.... then he had a couple triples (salchow twice and toe loop twice and loop+2t) and well... that's why I have been hoping to see the protocols..... there was clear zayaking and doubling...which explains the low score... but I don't see it as a low score... LOL.. I see it as potential... 170 something without going for all the big tricks is impressive and could finally bring Patrick well over the 200 bar when everything is landed.... so go Chiddy....
Guilty as charged! :laugh: Besides the fact that I was so entranced by everything else Patrick was doing, I blame the angle and distance of the fancam. It is not ideal for counting revolutions. But it is ideal for seeing how Patrick effortlessly floats across the ice and uses the entire ice surface! :love::love::love:

The one thing though, is that, yes, you are correct : unless the plan is to remove the second quad toe, I don't see any room for a 4flip... and honestly, I don' t think it's worth it... the 2-3 extra points he can get on the 4flip wouldn't make much difference in the end... the only way he could really raise is BV would be doing 4 quads and I cannot imagine how that would be possible... unless he plans to YOLO a quad flip as the last jump of his olympic career... LOL... maybe in Yuri on Ice but not in real life ;)
Extremely unlikely, but that would be epic. But it would only pay off if he landed it, which is quite unlikely given that it would be on tired legs. If he didn't land it, we'd be left with a fall on the last jump in his Olympic career. :no: Patrick is not the YOLO type of skater. Nathan Chen, on the other hand, injured himself attempting a 4T in the 2016 Nationals gala. I'll take a clean Patrick without a 4F. Maybe his work on the 4F didn't go as well as he'd hoped. It's quite a rational decision, actually. I was surprised to hear he was even working on it given that he's already made such substantial (for him) technical upgrades during his comeback.

skatingfan4ever forgot to mention that I agree with you : Nebelhorn means another chance to see his programs this year... as most likely, he is not doing 4cc... and probably also not worlds... so the more often he can get out there and give us the most perfect program we can watch for ever, the better it is...

So far, we have been graced : Patrick has every year given us a great version of each of his programs... so YAY!!! let's hope he keeps doing that, and especially on Olympic ice.
:agree: But he never gave us a clean La Bohème, did he? Which competition do you think was his best performance of La Bohème?

skatingfan4ever

Medalist
Country
United-States
I would also like a new avatar. If there's a way to get a still picture of the part of the first gif here that is a closeup of Patrick skating by with his head up, that would be lovely. :) I could wait until he shows us one or both new costumes, but I'm feeling impatient. :laugh:

Kuan

Final Flight
:agree: But he never gave us a clean La Bohème, did he? Which competition do you think was his best performance of La Bohème?

COR I think. No falls, some doubled jumps, but the program was great. La Boheme has some of the best choreography ever IMO. :agree2: My personal goat choreography :bow: Here some nice gifs (these are from worlds) Here are some from Skate Canada and nationals.

@4everchan Sorry, I always forget how ridiculously large Chanada is!

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
for La Bohème... Cup or Russia was the cleanest I guess but a lot of double jumps in there....

but see, that wasn't my favourite program of his... so I am not that attached to it ;) I rarely have rewatched it so thank you as I just watched it a few times... I love that blue on him ;)

the cup of russia version has the most gorgeous 4t though ;)

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
COR I think. No falls, some doubled jumps, but the program was great. La Boheme has some of the best choreography ever IMO. :agree2: My personal goat choreography :bow: Here some nice gifs (these are from worlds) Here are some from Skate Canada and nationals.

@4everchan Sorry, I always forget how ridiculously large Chanada is!

funny we cross posted :)

you are right about choreo... i just didn't connect personally with bohème as much... probably because the main protagonists are ladies.... and i have seen this opera live a bit too often ...

yeah... Canada is ridiculously large ;) but it's okay... I am at peace now with ACI ... did you see the line up? It's like Canadian Nationals... only missing : Patrick and Gabby.

blueberryhill

On the Ice
I would also like a new avatar. If there's a way to get a still picture of the part of the first gif here that is a closeup of Patrick skating by with his head up, that would be lovely. :) I could wait until he shows us one or both new costumes, but I'm feeling impatient. :laugh:

I'm not familiar with how gifs work. I know a screengrab will NOT yield a good result because it will be blurry. The best best would be to just hunt down the original pictures. As I understand it, gifs are made with still pictures so perhaps Vivley or another poster here will know the origins of the images used.

:eek:topic: The reason I've never cared for gifs is that I find them hypnotic and concerned that I can fall into a fugue state. :eeking: :laugh: The repetitiveness is trance-like for me. I do like the slo-mo ones but even then, I limit my viewing to just a few repetitions. :dance2:

Kuan

Final Flight
I am at peace now with ACI ... did you see the line up? It's like Canadian Nationals... only missing : Patrick and Gabby.

And Roman! That's my man (ehh boy ;)) after Patrick. But still your line up you get to see at ACI is first class! While Nebelhorn is not that great (yet), except Patrick of course.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
And Roman! That's my man (ehh boy ;)) after Patrick. But still your line up you get to see at ACI is first class! While Nebelhorn is not that great (yet), except Patrick of course.
I would trade all aci for patrick. ;)

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
For you ;) :

http://i.imgur.com/BynDwXS.jpg

I confess that I had to google Palm Bay. :laugh:

Oh my gawddddd, you are my hero! :hap93: You even used my favourite flavour!!! :yahoo:

It's my alcoholic drink of choice when simultaneously watching the big competitions and posting on GS.

my laser :) just watching my boy while sarah is trying to get him drunk on her palm bays.... she wants me away from poje... yet she tries to cougar up patrick

Jeez, man, I'm just trying to help Chiddy have a good time!

skatingfan4ever

Medalist
Country
United-States
First, look to the left. I decided to use blueberryhill's photochan with the unicorn and the skate. The original photo is gorgeous, but BBH added nice extra touches. :thank:

4everchan and Kuan, COR is a good choice for best La Bohème. It is a beautiful program, but it's not my favorite from Patrick anymore and I don't rewatch it. I feel like he has improved so much in interpretation since 2013. Incidentally, here's what I wrote in this thread about that exact performance. Even an imperfect Patrick can move me. :agree2:
I had a "moment" with La Boheme last night. I got that indescribable feeling again and I officially fell in love with the program! After watching it through twice, all I could think about was how much I wanted to go skating. Patrick just looks so free and peaceful when he skates. His speed makes skating look like so much fun. And it wasn't even a perfect FS at COR, so I can only imagine what it will be like when Patrick skates it perfectly. WOW!!! I've always felt the emotion from Patrick when he skates, but La Boheme takes it to an even higher level. It is truly something special.

Also, today I watched Dust in the Wind more carefully. There is a lack of transitions, by Patrick's high standards, between the 4T+3T and 4S, and even more noticeably, between the 4S and 3A. I want more, especially in that lovely, flowing, fast-paced orchestral section. I really hope they add more transitions. I know Patrick needs to get through the jumps, which are much harder than what he's done in the SP for his whole career, but seriously, there needs to be a few more transitions. I wonder why the LP looks like it's so much further along. I know the harder your jumps are, the less energy you have for transitions. I still like the program a lot, but it needs work (so does the LP, but the LP seemed to have the transitions already intact). Should I be worried about the SP transitions or not?

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
First, look to the left. I decided to use blueberryhill's photochan with the unicorn and the skate. The original photo is gorgeous, but BBH added nice extra touches. :thank:

4everchan and Kuan, COR is a good choice for best La Bohème. It is a beautiful program, but it's not my favorite from Patrick anymore and I don't rewatch it. I feel like he has improved so much in interpretation since 2013. Incidentally, here's what I wrote in this thread about that exact performance. Even an imperfect Patrick can move me. :agree2:

Also, today I watched Dust in the Wind more carefully. There is a lack of transitions, by Patrick's high standards, between the 4T+3T and 4S, and even more noticeably, between the 4S and 3A. I want more, especially in that lovely, flowing, fast-paced orchestral section. I really hope they add more transitions. I know Patrick needs to get through the jumps, which are much harder than what he's done in the SP for his whole career, but seriously, there needs to be a few more transitions. I wonder why the LP looks like it's so much further along. I know the harder your jumps are, the less energy you have for transitions. I still like the program a lot, but it needs work (so does the LP, but the LP seemed to have the transitions already intact). Should I be worried about the SP transitions or not?

No, don't be worried about them, they will come as it's early in the season. Also, most of the time LP's are choreographed before SP's so that is more than likely why it looks much further along. ;)

blueberryhill

On the Ice
Skatingfan4ever, like Ic3rabbit, I believe these program are still a work in progress. As a figure skating fan I've come to love the creative process and watching them evolve as the season progress. If we all love them now, can you imagine what they'll be like when they've got more mileage on them? :luv17:

As for your new avatar, I agree the original picture was absolutely gorgeous. I thought that as an avatar it wouldn't work well because it was too dark. I brightened up the image (Patrick and the unicorn are much more visible) so that it might work better. You may not be as fussy about these things so you can decide if you'd like to re-upload it. You should have seen how many times I resized my avatar before I was happy with it. :laugh:

http://i.imgur.com/LV0DQE7.jpg

So the unicorn ran away from 4everchan and straight to you, huh??? ;)

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Oh my gawddddd, you are my hero! :hap93: You even used my favourite flavour!!! :yahoo:

It's my alcoholic drink of choice when simultaneously watching the big competitions and posting on GS.

Jeez, man, I'm just trying to help Chiddy have a good time!

that's what she said

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Skatingfan4ever, like Ic3rabbit, I believe these program are still a work in progress. As a figure skating fan I've come to love the creative process and watching them evolve as the season progress. If we all love them now, can you imagine what they'll be like when they've got more mileage on them? :luv17:

As for your new avatar, I agree the original picture was absolutely gorgeous. I thought that as an avatar it wouldn't work well because it was too dark. I brightened up the image (Patrick and the unicorn are much more visible) so that it might work better. You may not be as fussy about these things so you can decide if you'd like to re-upload it. You should have seen how many times I resized my avatar before I was happy with it. :laugh:

http://i.imgur.com/LV0DQE7.jpg

So the unicorn ran away from 4everchan and straight to you, huh??? ;)

well... the unicorn can only stay around pure souls and as skatingfan4ever and 4everchan, the unicorn felt we were family...

patrick's magic at its best

vivley

"pcskatingfan.com"
Medalist
I'm not familiar with how gifs work. I know a screengrab will NOT yield a good result because it will be blurry. The best best would be to just hunt down the original pictures. As I understand it, gifs are made with still pictures so perhaps Vivley or another poster here will know the origins of the images used.

:eek:topic: The reason I've never cared for gifs is that I find them hypnotic and concerned that I can fall into a fugue state. :eeking: :laugh: The repetitiveness is trance-like for me. I do like the slo-mo ones but even then, I limit my viewing to just a few repetitions. :dance2:

The GIFs I've made were made from videos, not still images, so I may not know where those images came from.

I like to use GIFs to make Patrick look like he's doing a move over and over again. GIFs are perfect for spins - I start and end them in the same position so it looks like Patrick is spinning forever... :biggrin: