2017 GP Rostelecom Cup Ladies FS | Page 45 | Golden Skate

2017 GP Rostelecom Cup Ladies FS

Status
Not open for further replies.

madison

Record Breaker
That is hyperbole. She made one error and got the deserved punishment for it. We simply do not know what would happen if she had made more mistakes. That's just have not happened so far. Lots of elite top contender skaters benefit from preferential PCS judging based on reputation despite subpar performances all the time. Ironically majority of them are not Russian. And certainly it is not Medvedeva as she just simply has never been in that situation. Pls direct your anger elsewhere.

First of all I'm not angry and I don't think you are in the position to tell to another user what to do... especially taking into account that this is not the first rude comment addressed to me. Secondly I never stated that only Russian skaters receive PCS boost, but indeed Medvedeva (and she happens to be Russian) is a special case of this preferential treatment. And thirdly it's clear, according to her scores ,that even if she would have had another 1 or 2 falls, she would win the event, not considering the edge of 3LZ (there are opinions that the edge wasn't correctly here)

whatif

Medalist
First of all I'm not angry and I don't think you are in the position to tell to another user what to do... especially taking into account that this is not the first rude comment addressed to me. Secondly I never stated that only Russian skaters receive PCS boost, but indeed Medvedeva (and she happens to be Russian) is a special case of this preferential treatment. And thirdly it's clear, according to her scores ,that even if she would have had another 1 or 2 falls, she would win the event, not considering the edge of 3LZ (there are opinions that the edge wasn't correctly here)

No she would not win that event if another skater skated better. That's all.

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
The whole FS event was somewhat less satisfying than the short but still good.

Below expectations:

Radionova: I hoped she would nail it and she was close to that but then this stupid mistake. She needed 200 after Sotskova's 205 in Finland and she did not get it. The race is on and Elena is not a favorite so far. No GPF for her after 2 years of finals - a downward spiral continues although she skates better now than during the last season - quite an unfortunate situation.

Sakamoto: Her SP is better than LP so far. I was thrilled yesterday and not that much today. Again I saw her departing from the standard Japanese style to Eteri like one. This pose when she stood still for some seconds reminded me of Medvedeva 2 seasons ago and Tsurskaya's SP now. Did not like it (to be frank, I don't like Polina's "painting" either).

Higuchi: she was good in Moscow but she was better in Lombardia. With the cutthroat competition for 2 Japanese spots she has to shine every time she enters serious competitions - did not happen this time. I expected 3A as well.

Nagasu: I thought she would do better. Those URs are too abundant. Not sure is she is going to be US leading lady. I think again that Ashley is the main bet followed by Karen.

Above expectations:

Kostner. She is in somewhat similar position to Wakaba: she has to build up her "goodwill" to be meaningfull when it comes to big podiums. And here she made a very good step in the right direction when we compare with her challengers. I am sure more will come. Bring 3-3 to FS, bring a single lutz, skate it like you skated in Moscow and then it is 220+ which means that anything is possible.

Medvedeva. It was not only about the new dress. She skated Anna Karenina much "bigger" than it was in Japan. So I am convinced now that it is an excellent program for the Olympics. A silly 2A fall? Stuff happens - it was at the very end of the program, hence, it could not seriously affect pcs. Without a fall it would be something like 154 FS and 235 combined. Another record? I don't know and don't care. She is the best skater in the world now bringing joy and other positive emotions to me when I watch her skate. That is what matters to me.

Hyena

Tous les whiskys
Medalist
evgenia is not assuming anything she hasn't earned. I love caro too, but she can't compete technically with evgeni, that's a fact. You should praise her Russian legendary coach mishin. He is the reason she has improve her jumps .

I don't think Evgenia is assuming anything either. I also don't and didn't disagree with you about Carolina's content compared to Zhenya's. I was saying (1) Carolina IMO deserves higher PCS in skating skills, performance/execution, interpretation, and choreo and (2) that Carolina isn't, as you asserted, expecting judges to give her high scores for "long legs and skating skills."

What we do agree on is that Mishin seems to be doing great work with her.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
It's an international forum, so what? I am not Asian, this does not stop me from being a decent person and not hating on people. It's not your origin or nationality - it's just about a person. I disagree that what has been going on in here can be defined as "passion". Wishing that a young and hard-working athlete would make a mistake and lose is not passion, it's just unpleasant behaviour. I don't like a lot of skaters, but I would never wish for them to fall or hurt themselves. I could not care less about Anna Pogorilaya for example and I was devastated after her 2017 Worlds FS. The fact that I cannot connect with her does not mean she is not deserving of success.

I assume we are all grown-ups here, let's behave like it.

Well said. Unfortunatly, there seem to be mean people everywhere, grown up or not and even on this forum. A few years ago I heard a certain US pairs lady called a garden gnome because she was born with a short neck. Now I have to listen to Wakaba being called a muffin because, like Michelle Kwan, she was born with short legs. So what's next? Are we going to call Anastasia "Jugs" because like Katrina Witt she has large breasts or Evgenia "Bird Legs"? Bullying is not funny. If you want to talk about how a certain body shape might make a skating move easier or more difficult, or even make the skater look better in the eyes of a judge, that is fine. Otherwise, I think we should take Anni234's advice and behave alittle better. BTW, it matters not that this is an international forum. You are in the house of the forum owner and you do NOT have the right to say anything you want that is mean or worse...and the forum owner has every right to throw you out.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Just wait till her body changes. It's gonna be the same story as with Radionova, Lipnitskaya, etc... Once they get past puberty, their body is no longer forgiving to the bad technique....

Med is long past puberty. Sorry.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
"these judges are actually Russian" you should go to Ukraine and tell this to people there, and see what they say ;)

Folks, again, ex soviet states are not necessary even close to be pro-russian. In fact, they may dislike russia a lot (actually, out of the places i visited, 2 soviet satellites were the places where i fell less comfortable for being russian, WAY less comfortable than in USA, for example). For example, between a polish judge and an american one, if i had to chose one to suspect he/she is supporting russian skaters, id pick the american one.

Your point is well taken and no one should make a stereotype out of what an individual Ukrainian is or how they think, either in WWII (they fought on both sides) or now with the present conflict. But after reading Olympic judge Jon Jackson's book, Miss Ice does make a point that can not be dismissed. It is my belief that at one time there was a cadre of Soviet Union skating officials that worked together for their mutual benefit. Whether there are still remnents of that old cadre working today is arguable.

sailormoon

On the Ice
Country
Japan
Kostner gorgeously skated both programs cleanly and she deserved to be in the second place. It's hard believe that she's already 30 and she's still improving as a figure skater, when all other skaters in her generation such as Mao Asada and Yuna Kim had already retired. Kostner is a survivor comparable to Venus Williams in women's tennis and she will be back to Pyeongchang as a medal contender.

bartlebooth

Record Breaker
Music has a life of its own outside the original intent of the composer, especially the marriage of sound and image within a specific context. Fauns and nymphs playing in the forest is not so much different than deer anyway. Kostner herself has long limbs and a narrow face, bringing forth the image of a deer, and her program is certainly less sexualized, creating an image of "Bambi" more than what we might think of fauns and nymphs doing. Whatever someone wants to visualize it as, the important thing to me is the tranquility of the music, and current skating tends to think of this as inferior, even though it shouldn't.

Given her age, I was thinking more of Bambi's mother!
Just kidding, of course.

tjb

Match Penalty
Kostner gorgeously skated both programs cleanly and she deserved to be in the second place. It's hard believe that she's already 30 and she's still improving as a figure skater, when all other skaters in her generation such as Mao Asada and Yuna Kim had already retired. Kostner is a survivor comparable to Venus Williams in women's tennis and she will be back to Pyeongchang as a medal contender.

carolina is from an older generation, than yuna and mao. she competed with kwan and slutskaya

ask

Match Penalty
I can´t believe there are people who think Kostner is a bad jumper. You don´t do 3x3 at 30* if you are a bad jumper. I also can´t believe people who think she is slow. She´s not slower than any girl currently competing. She´s slower than her former self.

Ylyzybyth

Final Flight
I thought wakaba's outfit was perfect. Gloves included as they made it more bond like. It's like she was a secret agent attending a fancy dinner party and had to do some side work. Also, I don't think she looks like a muffin at. I think her strong legs actually make her look more graceful than if she were a stick figure because she looks solid and I don't have to worry about her breaking when she lands her jumps. Tall/thin skaters make me nervous.

Sam L

Medalist
Carolina’s amazing and that free skate is beautiful. It’s so inspirational that at 30 she’s throwing down silver medals at GP events against these teens.

andromache

Record Breaker
I want to see less girlishness from Evgenia in the LP, more mature leading lady drama. I think she'll get there - I'm glad she's going for a character that challenges her. I think I preferred the red dress at Japan Open though. For me (for whatever reason), I think red just suits Anna Karenina more.

The fall on the 2A is whatever. Mistakes happen; she botched the landing. I do think it is telling that she is no longer 100% backloading in the LP - her jumps just aren't as strong as Alina's. Can't wait to see them go head to head.

Elena was hard to watch. I don't think she's a real threat for that 3rd spot now, unfortunately. Her jumps need to be re-worked entirely, her spins look weaker than they ever have, and while her programs/packaging are good (though she needs someone better to do her makeup_ and she's soooo charming, she's sloppy - things like her posture have never been fixed. She's got too much she needs to work on, but those jumps should come first. Not sure if Buianova is the best coach for that or not. If she was in the US, I'd send her to Raf.

I know Afternoon of the Faun is vintage Carolina, but I still think this program is a snoozefest - but a beautiful snoozefest. Even though her jumps are "easy," they're gorgeous. Maybe when she retires she should work with Mishin - he can teach jumps and she can make his skaters skate and present gorgeously. Sounds like an excellent partnership to me.

Wakaba -she's hitting her levels, overall gorgeous elements, and a 3-3 in the second half. She needed that 3S today, unfortunately. Still though, in general she has massively upped her consistency. The pressure is on, and she wants this. Hate her gloves, but the rest of her costume is gorgeous. I think she'll get higher PCS outside of Europe. If I was Satoko Miyahara, I would be very, very afraid of missing the Olympics. Wakaba has stepped it up. Her jumps have incredible ease and flow - effortless. I think this program has overall improved since Lombardia.

Mirai needs to do something with her arms as she sets up for the 3A, or at least do something with her face. She looks like she's just out there in practice. Love the height she gets on the 3A even she URs it. In general, I thinkt is program is an effective vehicle for her, unlike her SP, honestly. The music does enough of the drama/storytelling here for her, and she has enough poise and elegance that even when she's not doing anything, she looks good (other than the 3A setup). The music builds and has the potential to create a moment. Still - losing to Mariah Bell here is NOT good for her. I still think she will peak later, though.

A few weeks ago I was kind of writing Mariah off, but she is making this bad LP work for her. I get it wayyyyy more than I did the last time we saw it. It'll never be great, but it's better than I thought it would be. Good for her, seriously. PCS for her seemed low - I expect her to score better outside of Russia. Is Elena Radionova 9 points better in PCS? I don't think so. She was 4th in TES, and I would've had her 4th in PCS, too. Minor Mariah wuzrobbed.

SXTN

Final Flight
I can´t believe there are people who think Kostner is a bad jumper. You don´t do 3x3 at 30* if you are a bad jumper. I also can´t believe people who think she is slow. She´s not slower than any girl currently competing. She´s slower than her former self.

Who says she is a bad jumper? Everyone knows her jumps are excellent when she lands them.

ask

Match Penalty
Who says she is a bad jumper? Everyone knows her jumps are excellent when she lands them.

you see a lot of people who said there are many better jumpers than Kostner. It is like alternative fact. There are still believers.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Given her age, I was thinking more of Bambi's mother!
Just kidding, of course.

LOL! Bambi's mother....that's funny...Well, You wont catch ME making fun of her age.....sure she is old enough to statistically be the mother of some skaters she will face at the Olys, but I could care less.....you did great performances, Caro, and that is why I enjoy skating. You go lady!

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
well, Evgenia proved she is not a robot after all... :)

You read my mind and saved me from embarrasssing myself again. At the end of the comp, I was ready to make some flippent remark about if there was any proof of her being human since she is so consistantly good and here she falls and laughs....for me, this makes her very human and likeable. I wonder if she would sit down and have a beer with Mathman and I? :clap:

Status
Not open for further replies.