2017 GP Skate Canada Ladies FS | Page 80 | Golden Skate

2017 GP Skate Canada Ladies FS

pearly

Record Breaker
The Russian fed can WITHDRAW Anna P. from Skate America, but they can't REPLACE her with another Russian skater.

If the Russian fed does withdraw Anna, USFS will replace her with a skater of the USFS's choice, and it's unlikely to be another Russian skater, given the transportation cost at such short notice.

Oh that's right, the organizers invite skaters even after someone WDs.

mrrice

Record Breaker
Oh that's right, the organizers invite skaters even after someone WDs.

Yes, it's up to the host to select a new skater but, I believe there is a list of alternates for each event that has already been set. Hopefully someone else can confirm that.

pearly

Record Breaker
Yes it's up to the host to select a new skater but, I believe there is a list of alternates for each event that has already been set. Hopefully someone else can confirm that.

That's correct, based on world raking.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
The Russian fed can WITHDRAW Anna P. from Skate America, but they can't REPLACE her with another Russian skater.

If the Russian fed does withdraw Anna, USFS will replace her with a skater of the USFS's choice, and it's unlikely to be another Russian skater, given the transportation cost at such short notice.

Yes it's up to the host to select a new skater but, I believe there is a list of alternates for each event that has already been set. Hopefully someone else can confirm that.

That's correct, based on world raking.

The substitutes list is based on ISU Season's Best scores.

(And the host fed would not be required to replace an entry in ladies or men unless her/his withdrawal would reduce the field to nine entries.)

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist
Shockingly, it seems she never learned how to fall. I don't know how though, but here it is. The ice is just as hard for other skaters who manage to get up and finish. I was a competitive skater, I know what a fall is. She has some sort of mental block preventing her from picking herself up. Once she's down, she's really down. I don't understand how the fed or her coaching team haven't been able to help fix that issue.

I think poor Anna's problem is her back, tbh. As someone who tried to skate with four herniated discs, I finally gave up and I recognized in her face the same giving up. There was no life in her performance before the falls, and once she started she didn't know how to fall, and some of those falls could have been somewhat saved. It's probably best for her for the Russian Fed to withdraw her from SkateAm. She probably is hoping for it too, and save her from more humiliation. Her Biellman was pretty awful at Russia Cup, and I don't want to rewatch her SC skate again but I don't remember her even trying a Biellman (I was in a Biellman position when I messed up the spin and destroyed my back too, so no more Biellman attempts from me again) Anna should be proud of her World medal, but she's done. Injuries really do suck.

Icey

Record Breaker
Use this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRPkOGStr40 Marin is the first one, and while some of her music is muted, it's not blocked.

She is so exquisite. The soft use of the arms, the refinement at 16 or any age for that matter. She was superior to all the other skaters. Not a judge, but I would place this at the top of free skates done this year. I look forward to her getting to the top if she continues to skate this way. So exciting.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
[/B]

This is an excellent question!!! I think some of it depends on the fall itself. If skater's pick hit the ice first, there is twisting of the hips from the momentum of the jump. This can cause hip, knee, and ankle injuries (Before) a skater even hits the ice. My concussion came after falling as I slid across the ice and into the wall head first. I also hurt my hip as I landed on my side. It looks so pretty on TV but, there ruts and divots in the ice that can cuts your hands if you hit them at a certain angle. I remember when Miki Ando had a weird fall and cut her herself with her own blade......

Ouch.....I have lots of respect for those folks out on the ice...I cant imagine what they go through all those years before hitting the big time...I have no idea how Anna kept going....
I see Mark Ladwig at events representing a skate boot company, IIRC. I will ask Mark about if they have ever put a G -meter in a boot to see the forces involved and whether or not forward velocity softens falls. In motorcycling, we have a saying...its not how fast you are going when you fall...its how fast you are stopped....
Maybe Mirai will let me strap my cell phone with the G meter to her boot....ok...maybe not.... ;)
Thanks for the input! I will stick with airplanes and motorcycles....

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Marin Honda has the superstar factor.

I am biased here but there is such a factor...I call it the "It" girl/guy effect, but others have different names.....
She is a person who you cant keep your eyes off of when she is out there....there is just something about her
AND the way she skates....Jason Brown is like that for me.....and many others now skating and who have had their time
in the sun....
I didnt think anyone could beat MK for this effect but then I saw Yuna in Lake Placid at SkateAmerica 2010 season and then I saw her win worlds at London Ontario Canada......:love:

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
She is so exquisite. The soft use of the arms, the refinement at 16 or any age for that matter. She was superior to all the other skaters. Not a judge, but I would place this at the top of free skates done this year. I look forward to her getting to the top if she continues to skate this way. So exciting.

She and people like her make me feel like this is why I love to watch skating. I wont mention any names, but there are some US skaters who are very good that I personally wouldnt want to have a beer with. I find them arrogant and bratty. The Shibs, Mirai, Jason, Max, etc are very approachable, polite, and nice to us who stalk them. They always have a minute for you.....I like that....and I would like to have an orange juice with Marin and her coach....

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I love Masha's FreeSkate so much! There....I've said it. Poor me:whack:

temadd

Final Flight
Honda is one of my new favorites. She is mesmerizing and to me, has set herself apart from the field in terms of skating skills, musicality and expression. My only small complaint is that her jumps are a little flat, and compared to everything else she does so spectacularly, don't match.

Globetrotter

Medalist
OK, so me and the dog just went down after reading your post and watched Marin again on the big screen on INW. Yes, I am biased for Marin, but I told myself to watch the performance objectively. I still see a calm, yet focused, expressive, emotional, artistic, technical skating performance.... one of the best performances of the whole competition and it brought the crowd to their feet. That she was not rewarded for that is the fault of the system. I do like Maria and enjoyed her skate very well, but I gotta go with Marin's skate as a performance I would like to see again. It would also be informative to have GS sit down with a couple of judges and watch both skates and hear why they think Maria was better. Not being critical with their ideas or skater placement...just want professional opinions here.

Marin's SP may be technically a disaster but she never lost the programme. Despite the mistakes, she never really lost character although the stumbles and misses were jarring. This was one of those cases where I will argue for most PCS components to remain fairly high but the PE will get docked for disruption. The FS was much better, no disruptions and perhaps the lack of pressure since she was out of medal contention allowed her to skate freely. The TES judging was harshly applied to all skaters but PCS was harshly given to the lesser known skaters or to newbies - Marin just happened to be a newbie who skated with mroe maturity and quality than even many seniors and the lowballing was just too much. Her skate was fine, the PCS judging was not.

Globetrotter

Medalist
Marin Honda has the superstar factor.

I am just imagining if Marin's natural x-factor / star quality / talents can be combined with Zhenya's mental strength / competitive nerves and Satoko's work ethic - that will be the perfect combination of the ultimate FS star. No wonder the Russian coaches viewed Marin as the strongest threat to Russian girls dominance. Those natural SS talents and x-factor are intrinsic qualities that can't be taught. If only she has better consistency and mental fortitude tsk tsk.

moriel

Record Breaker
I am just imagining if Marin's natural x-factor / star quality / talents can be combined with Zhenya's mental strength / competitive nerves and Satoko's work ethic - that will be the perfect combination of the ultimate FS star. No wonder the Russian coaches viewed Marin as the strongest threat to Russian girls dominance. Those natural SS talents and x-factor are intrinsic qualities that can't be taught. If only she has better consistency and mental fortitude tsk tsk.

I dont think Russian coaches really viewed Marin as the strongest threat.
I´m pretty sure they understand she was not the strongest competition in juniors, and it is still unclear how she will develop as senior.

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
I´m pretty sure they understand she was not the strongest competition in juniors, and it is still unclear how she will develop as senior.

After seeing her perform at SC, Marin to me has all the makings of a future star. She def. stood out imo versus many of the other competitors. The ability to emote and project on the ice, is always appreciated by me and underestimated by many. She did both here, exquisitely.

tars

Record Breaker
Of course they did. It's enough to look at Daniil G. reaction to Alina scores at JGP Slovenia last year.
Alina was in JGPF no matter what, still he shaked his head with disgust, when he heard her scores and realized Marin won silver and advanced to the final.
If you read Russian skating fora, you'll find out half of Russian fans love Marin. No other foreign skater is as popular as her and I bet Eteri would like to have her girls exclusively occupying Russian fans' hearts... ;)

Popularity, emotions towards a skater are very important in this sport, they translate to media attention, shows, advertisement, etc..
Russian girls are lovely, but so is Marin. :)