2017 GP Skate America Ladies SP | Page 46 | Golden Skate

2017 GP Skate America Ladies SP

solar

I got cat class and I got cat style
Medalist
Country
United-States
Correct placings and I'm not there live but for the life of me I don't understand how Satoko doesn't get 9's in those last 3 PCS categories. Not even Carolina is matching that short in terms of interpretation of the music :scratch2:

Satoko has always been lowballed in PCS in my opinion. Maybe because many of her movements are more detailed and nuanced rather than in your face and dramatic? That's what I like best about her though.

zblc015

Rinkside
Also, is it just me or do you think Karen could stand to get a little fitter? She looks a little less in shape than some of the other ladies

I thought something similar. She looks like she has filled out. I am not saying she is fat by any stretch of the imagination, but it looks like there is more of her there all over (height inc.). I wonder if she's grown a bit and that's affected her rotation. I always used to be surprised by the speed of her rotation which completely wasn't there today, and maybe if she's changed shape and there's a little bit more weight (like, a couple of pounds a most) if it's just affecting her jumping style and rotation

schizoanalyst

Medalist
What I find amazing is there is a decent chance of getting a podium of some mix of Kaori Sakamoto, Bradie Tennell, and Serafima Sakhanovich. Who in the world would've guessed!

mrrice

Record Breaker
I missed the event but, WHAT happened to Karen Chen. She was looking so good in practice and with her old SP, I was expecting her to finish near the top? :shocked:

Ice Diva

On the Ice
I've always really liked Gabby's fierceness and attack, but this Carmen program is her worst program ever.

I completely disagree. It's fresh, fun, flirty; love the French version of Carmen. Once she gets some more miles behind it (she's still catching up from an injury) it'll be sensational.

Roast Toast

Medalist
Protocols are hilarious... NO CARROTS -- except for the American ladies? :think: Judges seem very divided on Kaori's PCS. Satoko clean but virtually no GOEs on jumps.

GGFan

Record Breaker
Well, you were rather shortchanging Carolina by claiming her musical interpretation is inferior to Satoko. I'm expressing why I think you're incorrect.

I think Satoko's choreography is beautiful and quite intricate, and Satoko performs it very well. She clearly deserved to be in first place here. I don't, however, get a feeling that Satoko ever feels her music. It's a fine nuance, I know, and not one everybody will agree with, but it's the best way I can explain why I think Carolina is a superior artist.

I wasn't shortchanging Kostner. I was making a comparison between two amazing skaters and making a point about Satoko's short. I think Carolina's interpretation of Celine is lovely but more obvious. There's a different conversation to be had about the free but again I was comparing short programs

evasorange

Final Flight
The judges give Zero under rotation calls for Satoko! But they made sure to Catch Ashley's! 🙄🙄 If under rotations are going to be penalized then they need to be for all girls, not just ones who have a "reputation" why is this concept so hard for the judges to execute??

zblc015

Rinkside
It really bugs me that the judges ignore Tsurskaya's combo. It is the best 3Lz+3T in the business and it barely gets noticed

andromache

Record Breaker
Karen needed a coaching change 2 years ago instead of the constant excuses. Her talent is undeniable, and it's being wasted.

Ashley is Ashley. She's always had her weaknesses, and those weaknesses are getting weaker. But I expect better in the LP. That's just how she rolls.

Bradie Tennell for national champion. If she is the only US lady who can rotate her jumps and do it without falling on a regular basis, then she deserves the title. I'm so mad at Karen's wasted talent.

Pleasantly surprised with Serafima!!!! Lovely performance. It's weird seeing Plushenko as a coach, but a good kind of weird.

Gutted for Polina. She's my girl, and tonight was not her night. But there is plenty of room for her to move up, and I expect she will.

Gabby's program is all kinds of horrifying, and she looks like a rushed, hot mess. I love her. She can do better!

Satoko is lovely but always leaves me cold. Would just love to see a sense of spontaneity from her. The Shibs are commonly criticized for appearing too rehearsed and controlled, and I get the same vibe from Satoko. What they do is incredible, precise, and expertly-done, but the emotion never feels genuine. Still, what they do well is excellent.

liberrhythm

On the Ice
I thought something similar. She looks like she has filled out. I am not saying she is fat by any stretch of the imagination, but it looks like there is more of her there all over (height inc.). I wonder if she's grown a bit and that's affected her rotation. I always used to be surprised by the speed of her rotation which completely wasn't there today, and maybe if she's changed shape and there's a little bit more weight (like, a couple of pounds a most) if it's just affecting her jumping style and rotation

Exactly. It's not so much the weight as I think the curvier shape. Remember 2015 nationals when she won that bronze? She was literally SO tiny then. Still think it might be more of a mental thing at this point

liberrhythm

On the Ice
Karen needed a coaching change 2 years ago instead of the constant excuses. Her talent is undeniable, and it's being wasted.

Ashley is Ashley. She's always had her weaknesses, and those weaknesses are getting weaker. But I expect better in the LP. That's just how she rolls.

Bradie Tennell for national champion. If she is the only US lady who can rotate her jumps and do it without falling on a regular basis, then she deserves the title. I'm so mad at Karen's wasted talent.

Pleasantly surprised with Serafima!!!! Lovely performance. It's weird seeing Plushenko as a coach, but a good kind of weird.

Gutted for Polina. She's my girl, and tonight was not her night. But there is plenty of room for her to move up, and I expect she will.

Gabby's program is all kinds of horrifying, and she looks like a rushed, hot mess. I love her. She can do better!

Satoko is lovely but always leaves me cold. Would just love to see a sense of spontaneity from her. The Shibs are commonly criticized for appearing too rehearsed and controlled, and I get the same vibe from Satoko. What they do is incredible, precise, and expertly-done, but the emotion never feels genuine. Still, what they do well is excellent.

RT SO HARD on the Karen comment like what kind of coach would let her switch both programs the day before a competition?!!!?

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Not sure if it was just because it was on TV and that like never happens for me here in the US but I wasn't really impressed by any of the SP's I saw in the second group. I even thought Satoko looked shaky and I have been praising this program.

🐬