Inappropriate music in skating | Page 6 | Golden Skate

Inappropriate music in skating

One of the reasons I'm so antivoiceover is that I worry people will use it to slip in preaching or politics into their skating. To me neither has any place in skating.

What I don't like about voiceovers is that I can never make out the words. While straining to understand what is being said, I take my attention off the skating.

Last edited:

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
What I don't like about voiceovers is that I can never make out the words. While straining to understand what is being said, I take my attention off the skating.

You didn't understand "Jack, Jack...". I understood it, and it still took my attention off the skating!

ray94611

Rinkside
Going after this thinking, there is no music at all. Every piece of music, literally every one, has some more or less known background context that potentially might be offensive to somebody. Even kids or classical pieces. I am sure somebody can dig something negative in Rachmaninov's life that could ban his music from skating. I am sure there is a somewhere a valid argument to ban "itsy bitsy spider" as offensive to some. Even the "happy birthday" song.
As to the "religious" comment, very large part of classical music was religion inspired. If that is offensive to some then we have basically no culture at all. We are dead as civilized beings.

I didn't say it was offensive. I questioned the appropriateness of selecting religious music for a competitive sporting event.

Manitou

Medalist
I didn't say it was offensive. I questioned the appropriateness of selecting religious music for a competitive sporting event.

1. Why not?
2. What is the practical difference between "offensive" and "inappropriate"?

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
The one time I felt religious music was inappropriate was Team USA's ex at WTT2015. They had chosen "Ave Maria" which as far as I know is a Christian song, in the full knowledge they had at least two Jewish skaters on the team.

(In 2013 they did "New York New York" which was much more fun and appropriate.)

1. Why not?

In my humble opinion, anything that takes our attention off the actual skating is ... well, maybe not "inappropriate," but I wish they wouldn't do it. If someone skated to the Muslim Call to Prayer chant, a lot of audiences would be like, huh? I would feel uncomfortable if someone skated to any part of The Book of Mormon soundtrack that makes fun of the Mormon religion.

If we want to pray to Allah or to mock Mormons, OK, pray and mock it is. but figure skating should not be burdened by such distractions.

That's what I think, anyway.

Last edited:

ray94611

Rinkside
1. Why not?

Well, I think invoking religious or political references color a program in a way that's out of balance to what is being presented on the ice. I feel the same way about Medvedeva's 9/11 music. It doesn't "offend" me, it makes me me wonder what that person was thinking. That's all.

Manitou

Medalist
They had chosen "Ave Maria" which as far as I know is a Christian song, in the full knowledge they had at least two Jewish skaters on the team.

As I said: whatever happens there is always someone offended.... lol

As a Christian I don't mind Jewish music at all, as a matter of fact... As long as it's good. Music is music. :)

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
No..see I'm wrong here it's All-Star.

Hey ancientpeas, I'm just checking in to say, "Aren't you proud of me for steering clear of this topic?"

Because you know that I could do some riffs on what's inappropriate in skating...

Manitou

Medalist
That's what I think, anyway.

It's fair.
Ave Maria became a classical piece by now, however. Same as Amazing Grace and many others. It's just good music. Period. Very good music. And very skatable.
But agree you better skate well to it, because a poor performance to a powerful music makes the performance even worse.

Ave Maria became a classical piece by now, however.

If we are talking about the Schubert Ave Maria, it had an interesting history. It was originally composed, not as a setting for the Catholic Latin prayer, but to accompany a verse in the long poem "The Lady of the Lake" by Walter Scott. In the poem the Lady of the Lake, tired of hiding out in the cave of a friendly Scottish goblin, sallies forth to fight against King James.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ave_Maria_(Schubert)

The Gounod Ave Maria is Bach's Prelude #1 in C major from the Well-tempered Clavier. It wasn't until a century and a half later that the music was adapted for a religious text.

Same as Amazing Grace and many others. It's just good music. Period. Very good music. And very skatable.

This one carries more religious and moral baggage. It was composed by the captain of a slaving ship, who later in life came to regard his former occupation with horror. This is a flat-out hymn praising the Christian God for extending His mercy even to inveterate sinners and lost souls such as he.

To me, this is pretty heavy on the theology for an athletic contest.

Although ... the most I ever teared up at a skating performance was one time Yuka Sato did Amazing Grace at a local club show.

Manitou

Medalist
Although ... the most I ever teared up at a skating performance was one time Yuka Sato did Amazing Grace at a local club show.

I wish I saw it....

Amazing Grace, although being Christian, does not have specific Christian references. It's just religious.

I wish I saw it....

The performance was especially heart-wrenching because it was a benefit show for the family of a local skater, a young child, who was deathly ill with a rare disease. I was so choked with emotion that when I saw Yuka's husband in the lobby immediately afterward, all I could do was blubber out, "Your wife is so beautiful!"

He didn't know whether to say "thank you" or to hit me.

Amazing Grace, although being Christian, does not have specific Christian references. It's just religious.

I wouldn't say that. The whole motif is repenting your sins and being "born again" through the grace of God. This is the central theme of Protestantism. I think a Sikh or a Zoroastrian would find it a strange way to approach a Diety.

Plus, if it is just about the music, the tune is the old Methodist hymn, Must Jesus bear the cross alone?

Best to give it a pass in an international sports competition, IMHO.

Last edited:

bartlebooth

Record Breaker
^ A perennial argument. Should we shun the music of Wagner (Richard, not Ashley) because he was a big anti-semite?

As far as music about sex and drugs, we should stick to classical music. (That would eliminate the drugs part.).
I think that Jewish conductor Daniel Barenboim has said that Wagner's music is too good to leave it to Nazis.
In general I think it's better to differentiate between the art and the artist, even if it' surely easier when the artist is dead.
Caravaggio, for instance, killed a man, but his paintings are rightfully admired.

noskates

Record Breaker
Been gone for a few days so haven't read this whole thread BUT I think, for me, the most inappropriate piece of music was Medvedeva's lP last year - the 9/11 piece. As someone who lost friends and acquaintances in that horrible event, seeing it referred to in a figure skating program was hard to stomach.

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Not in the realm of age-inappropriate or offensive, but it seems like dicing with fate to skate to a song that has 'falling' in the lyrics...I was catching up on the Euro Ladies SPs the other day and some poor girl kept falling as the singer was going "Falling, falling, falling."

If I was a skater I'd probably stick to something like You Raise Me Up! Although...is falling during a song like that worse?

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Been gone for a few days so haven't read this whole thread BUT I think, for me, the most inappropriate piece of music was Medvedeva's lP last year - the 9/11 piece. As someone who lost friends and acquaintances in that horrible event, seeing it referred to in a figure skating program was hard to stomach.

Too true.

The thing is...if not for the vocals that would have been a perfectly good program, maybe even great. I have no idea what was going through her coaching teams head, I'm pretty sure at least one of them understand English. Could they not find a recording without the voice overs? Evgenia herself said the program wasn't supposed to be about 9/11, so I have no idea what happened there.