2018 Olympic Figure Skating Pairs SP | Page 89 | Golden Skate

2018 Olympic Figure Skating Pairs SP

Bcash

Final Flight
You mean J2? Throw out all the scores s/he gave, each and every mark including the 10's still counted as given by some other judge. In the case of SS, J1's mark would be the one thrown out as the highest.

No single judge can pull a skater/team ahead as the highest and lowest scores are thrown out.

Yeah I'm just saying if his/her score was lower than the second highest, S/H would have probably been second.

andromache

Record Breaker
China isn’t a weak country! Last time I checked Chinese were reigning World champions.

China has always been weak politically in skating compared to the big 4 + France (the big 5?).

(As for other small country skaters - Javier is lucky to have hit his peak at a time when were no medal contenders among Russian men, so he has had the advantage of being the only European man worth anything for several years.)

David21

On the Ice
So apparently 5 judges ranked T/M first and S/H were only able to pull ahead thanks to a world record score given by the Chinese judge.

+3 for everything in TES and 3 10s in PCS for S/H, while T/M got some PCS in the 8s :disapp:

I love that under CoP, the judges aren't even trying to hide their biased and national judging anymore :laugh:

David21

On the Ice
Their Rachmaninov is not so bad so i can understand such pcs, but today if candyman gets only 0.18 less then turandot in IN i will die

We'll see what happens in the FP. But guys, please save your wuzrobbing until then :p

But losing to them by only tenths or hundredths of a point in those categories?

IMO, Sui/Han's SP deserved to be scored like they're Virtue/Moir, Papadakis/Cizeron, or clean Hanyu or Medvedeva. They put out an iconic and sublime performance, and if they were from a more powerful skating country, we'd be seeing them scored that way.

I don't see that at all. I also wouldn't put the skaters you mentioned in the same categories.

Lets face it , the same is with Zagitova, Medviedeva.

But unlike Zag and Med, T/M actually have great skating skills...

Blushingheart

Match Penalty
+3 for everything in TES and 3 10s in PCS for S/H, while T/M got some PCS in the 8s :disapp:

I love that under CoP, the judges aren't even trying to hide their biased and national judging anymore :laugh:

THey deserved THAT more then russians. 8s for russians are enough

andromache

Record Breaker
I don't see that at all. I also wouldn't put the skaters you mentioned in the same categories.

I'm listing skaters who receive lots and lots of 10s. IMO, Sui/Han were deserving of lots and lots of 10s last night. That SP is pretty much the gold standard of perfection for pairs skating - which I realize is subjective, but god, it was just amazing and flawless in every way.

David21

On the Ice
THey deserved THAT more then russians. 8s for russians are enough

I totally disagree.

I'm listing skaters who receive lots and lots of 10s. IMO, Sui/Han were deserving of lots and lots of 10s last night. That SP is pretty much the gold standard of perfection for pairs skating - which I realize is subjective, but god, it was just amazing and flawless in every way.

They were great but not THAT great. Technically, T/M were better.

Lester

Piper and Paul are made of magic dust and unicorns
Final Flight
I loved the North Korean pair. I don't really follow pairs closely, so I had never seen them before, and they blew me away. I also loved most of the Asian teams in the earlier groups. They mostly nailed their presentation.

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
They dont deserve it

Pardon me? The team who has the third highest combined scores from both the short and free programs deserves the bronze medal. That’s how it works, that’s always how it’s worked, and that’s how it will continue to work. If Meagan and Eric skate well enough to win a medal of ANY colour, they deserve it, especially if other teams make mistakes and they do not. Same goes for all the top teams in this race. Their job is to go out there, skate lights out, may the best pair win gold and the second and third best win silver and bronze. It’s all about who’s the best overall in their two programs, those two nights.

Aliona, god love her as I am a fan, doesn’t “deserve” a medal any more so than any other skater in this event, just for being who she is. :confused2:

whatif

Medalist
Whoever wins TES should take the Gold. Just disregard the PCS nonsense. PCS are only useful to separate the really weak ones or use to rank skaters when everyone is bombing.

Crystal7

Final Flight
Why almost no one is mentioning Bruno, but only Aljona? That is so sad... :( That's even more sad that his double jump. He tries his best and puts his heart in it. And he was so sad about his mistake. Please, notice that :(

Baron Vladimir

Record Breaker
NOOO, not with such program, its is terrible, what a shame that such program could have gold in Olympics

Its not the program which is getting the gold, but the skaters. Music choice, costume and choreo is the least important thing actually. A lot of skaters in Olympic figure skating history had a programme which didnt please conventional and die-hard figure skating fans and still deservedly won it.

MGstyle

Crawling around on the ice after chestnuts
Medalist
Why almost no one is mentioning Bruno, but only Aljona? That is so sad... :( That's even more sad that his double jump. He tries his best and puts his heart in it. And he was so sad about his mistake. Please, notice that :(

I agree wholeheartedly. He knows his enormous responsibility all too well, plus he is fighting a serious back problem. He must be gutted enough without someone else kindly pointing out the error for him and making him a whipping boy over it. I just hope both of them will rise to the occasion and have a skate of their lives, regardless of the outcome. And most importantly, that Aljona won't hurt herself if (very likely) she goes for the throw quad or 3A.:pray:

Blushingheart

Match Penalty
Its not the program which is getting the gold, but the skaters. Music choice, costume and choreo is the least important thing actually. A lot of skaters in Olympic figure skating history had a programme which didnt please conventional and die-hard figure skating fans and still deservedly won it.

it sound sad what you say. We talk about PCS, not TES. If you dont need beatiful lines, choreo in figure skating .... oki, your choice. But IF particular team doenst have good choreo , composition it should be reflected in pcs, otherwise it is not fair

Baron Vladimir

Record Breaker
it sound sad what you say. We talk about PCS, not TES. If you dont need beatiful lines, choreo in figure skating .... oki, your choice. But IF particular team doenst have good choreo , composition it should be reflected in pcs, otherwise it is not fair

PCS is still about skaters work, particullary their blades work. Its not choreography itself which is judged here, but how skaters skate someones choreo. You can of course like someones choreo, music and style better than another, but that is more a thing of subjective preference. Some things are generally more appealing for someone eyes, some are not, which is perfectly fine. But what we like more is not always the same with what is better skating in concrete sport of FS defined by own concrete rules. Preferencies should not be something influencing that much what judges are looking for when awarding the scores. Good skaters are still good skaters no matter of the music they are skating to, and what kind of costumes and style they are presenting, if they are able to present that something somehow...

bramweld

Record Breaker
Final Standings, in my dreams:

1. Sui/Han (love them)

2. Duhammel and Radford (love this LP on them)

3. T/M or S/M whoever skates cleaner. (Germans too OTT/Russians so clueless)