Hanyu defends Olympic title | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Hanyu defends Olympic title

schizoanalyst

Medalist
I’d still go with Dick Button, but he can be a close second =).

In all seriousness though, what a champion and a legendary talent. Like Kim in 2010, I’m almost more impressed with holding his nerve than anything else.

Proxy

On the Ice
Best male individual figure skater? Maybe. He's had two Olympics and two poor mistake-filled skates though. Either way, you cannot compare across disciplines.

There is only one Yuna Kim.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
No. You cannot compare eras.

Of this generation? Yes, I would agree with that. But not of all time.

Proxy

On the Ice
Hanyu is a great skater. I think his 2015 GP Final with same program is my favorite men's skate ever. But he hasn't been clean in the Olympics. Nobody has. I think he's fortunate to have two gold medals, even though he deserved them both times.

charlotte14

Medalist
Hanyu is a great skater. I think his 2015 GP Final with same program is my favorite men's skate ever. But he hasn't been clean in the Olympics. Nobody has. I think he's fortunate to have two gold medals, even though he deserved them both times.
Tell NBC to stop messing up the skating schedule for their "precious prime time" first.

tars

Record Breaker
Yuna Kim is the greatest figure skater.

Hanyu is fantastic in his division.

silverfoxes

Record Breaker

He lost tons of time this season due to injury, so I think it's incredibly admirable that he managed to skate as well as he did after so little training time. A lot of people were sure he wouldn't win or even make the podium (not me, I put him 1st in my predictions & had no doubt he would be hungry and wanting to prove himself again).

Clean skates in this era of men's skating are extremely rare thanks to the overemphasis on quads & not enough punishment for falls. I can't fault the skaters for wanting to maximize their points but I am sorry that skating clean is not valued more, even if it means fewer quads. This is the system we are stuck with for now, alas. How far down the roster do you have to go to find someone who did have 2 clean skates?

GGFan

Record Breaker
One of the most satisfying triumphs I've had the honor of watching in men's figure skating. :dance: Two spellbinding programs and his aura was so commanding! He was the Olympic Champion every moment he was on the ice without having to beat his chest and tell us. He just skating around and you knew :bow::love::hap10:

TerpsichoreFS

Marin Honda's skating skills
Final Flight
I'm so happy for Yuzuru! But there is just a bit of sadness knowing he will never be the first man to win an Olympics with a non-salchow non-toeloop quad because of the injury. At least he was the first man to win worlds with a non-sal non-toe quad. But in eight years people will be saying "Hanyu greatest ever? Couldn't do a quad loop once in the free!" Especially since he is not American.

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
Yassss Yuzuru!! To do THAT after injury and set a smashing new SB to top it off... mad props, my dude...
Also I bet Yuzudaughter is happy ;)

treeloving

Medalist
I think he was more like go or die. He thought he must do 4 quads to be competitive against the other men and who could blame him?

The base value is less than 2 points different and his 3A is thing of beauty.

I am not intend to argue though.

GGFan

Record Breaker
I'm so happy for Yuzuru! But there is just a bit of sadness knowing he will never be the first man to win an Olympics with a non-salchow non-toeloop quad because of the injury. At least he was the first man to win worlds with a non-sal non-toe quad. But in eight years people will be saying "Hanyu greatest ever? Couldn't do a quad loop once in the free!" Especially since he is not American.

This is such a specific kind of sadness after a ridiculously amazing triumph :dev2: It was not controversial or anything--he clearly won! As a Michelle Kwan fan who lived through 1998 and 2002 please take this advice: enjoy the gold medal and forget about everything else. :rofl:

TerpsichoreFS

Marin Honda's skating skills
Final Flight
This is such a specific kind of sadness after a ridiculous amazing triumph :dev2: It was not controversial or anything--he clearly won! As a Michelle Kwan fan who lived through 1998 and 2002 please take this advice: enjoy the gold medal and forget about everything else. :rofl:

Well it is a personal disappointment as well. I'm just thinking about the future! He pushed the sport too. And it isn't quite reflected here. Every champion has that one thing people will use against them. Michelle, no oly gold. Yuna, only two time world champion and no second oly gold. Yuzuru? Not perfect skate and no harder quad. People will use this and I'm already tired.