Hanyu defends Olympic title | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Hanyu defends Olympic title

GGFan

Record Breaker
Well it is a personal disappointment as well. I'm just thinking about the future! He pushed the sport too. And it isn't quite reflected here. Every champion has that one thing people will use against them. Michelle, no oly gold. Yuna, only two time world champion and no second oly gold. Yuzuru? Not perfect skate and no harder quad. People will use this and I'm already tired.

I understand those weaknesses but I like to think that those "weaknesses" are what make these athletes unique, lovable people we embrace. Dick Button, Peggy Fleming, and Scott Hamilton all won a gold medal without skating their best free programs. Michelle Kwan, Elvis Stokjo and others lost golds on nights they skated clean. Please don't let what people may or may not say in the future ruin any part of the happiness of this win. Yuzu was almost not here. This is amazing! :hap93:

HanDomi

Record Breaker
I don't think anyone will. He still holds untouchable records. Nathan throws 6 quads in free skate, the hardest ones and still is 8 points back of Hanyu fs record. Hanyu is the perfect balance between high quality techniqe and artistry.

tzazu

Medalist
I'm so happy for Yuzuru! But there is just a bit of sadness knowing he will never be the first man to win an Olympics with a non-salchow non-toeloop quad because of the injury. At least he was the first man to win worlds with a non-sal non-toe quad. But in eight years people will be saying "Hanyu greatest ever? Couldn't do a quad loop once in the free!" Especially since he is not American.

Really?:scratch2: Maybe somebody can feel so, not my case (and I know what a 4Lo or a 4S is), and I can't imagine the thousand of ocasional viewers that don't know many about jumps will feel that way.
Really happy for him!!!!:yahoo::hap93::hap57:

GGFan

Record Breaker
Ok, now for my really random moment of gratitude: One of the greatest things about Seimei is that everything fits well together--the costume is both wonderful and unique. (There's a reason that the sad fan wore it). Can you imagine Yuzu in one of his Johnny Weir inspired get ups commanding the ice like he did last night? :devil: I'm evil but very grateful! :rofl:

HanDomi

Record Breaker
There is some truth in saying it's hard to compare because it's completely diffrent sport to the one from 50 years ago. But in terms of all overall skills, Hanyu is the greatest male skater in history. I don't say across all disciplines, because other disciplines have it's own greatest pairs and ladies skaters.

Mohacz

Medalist
Country
Poland
Although mu husband is Spanish and hoped Javi would get a medal, he wholeheartedly wished the gold would be captured by Yuzuru. Although before marrying me he probably didn't even know figure skating existed, now he knows quite a lot of names and figure skating programs (4 years ago he even rushed back from work to see the las group during Ladies FS!!). He "discovered" Yuzuru during both Barcelona's GPFs, which we attended together with my mother-in-law. To my enormous surprise, he, who never ever applauds anyone, stood up and gave standing ovation to both Javi and Yuzu for his record-breaking Seimei. And, as he has just told me, happy with the final results: Everyone skates, but Yuzuru creates art on ice :)

Anyasnake

Record Breaker
Yes.

Well male skater of course, I'm not going to compare him to Aliona or Yuna. :laugh:

And he is not even my favourite, because one's fave is not about the skating only. But I've turned this question in my head, comparing generation and everything. And Yes he makes a strong case of GOAT.

PS : GOAT has nothing to do with medals, prize and everything ;) OGM or not he was already the best for me before. It's about how you push the sport and the impact you have on it.

Ballade88

On the Ice
:laugh: I find it funny that this thread is becoming Hanyu vs Kim.

I really wish Hanyu had chosen new programs for the Olympics. I think he is one of the greatest athletes and competitors of all time, but artistically I won't rank him above John Curry, Kurt Browning, or Daisuke Takahashi. Also, in terms of great Olympic performances, I would rank Alexei Yagudin's above his as well.

GGFan

Record Breaker
My hope for the future: that Yuzu makes figure skating his lifetime love like Dick Button, Ludmilla Belousova & Oleg Protopopov have :pray::luv17:

icybear

Medalist
Thing about Hanyu is that he keeps on achieving more and more whereas Kim Yuna basically stopped after 2010. He could have stuck with a 3 quads fs since 2015 but he keeps on challenging himself to become better. Yuna kinda lost motivation after she won the complete set and went on to do ice shows instead

Silvia451

Record Breaker
Country
Romania
The SP performance could have been a WR. Besides this, nothing to complain about. :hap93:

Tulipstar

Medalist
Wow Hanyu stans are getting out of control now - He’s not “ the greatest of all time”, especially when you start comparing disciplines (ladies etc.) that’s straight disrespectful and ignorant of their accomplishments and the history of the sport. If anyone is the “greatest of all time” of men’s competition, it’s Dick Button who’s literally a living legend.

You say it's disrespectful to call someone greatest of all time in the men's, but then proclaim someone greatest of all time.

You can also disagree without calling others disrespectful or 'stans' just because they disagree with you.

steiner

Rinkside
Who is even comparing the different disciplines? I thought the implication was that Yuzuru is the greatest /men’s singles/ skater.

shyne

Final Flight
During the interview post his victory:

9. Comparing to the Sochi Gold Medal
“I can’t just compare them. What comes to mind now, is the dream that I had since childhood, or the journey of my life – I am, in a sense, nearing the end goal now. With consideration to this, I would like to say this to the young self who just started learning how to skate, who watched Evegeni Plushenko thinking “I want to get a gold in the Olympics!” – “Although many things have happened, I am still practising really hard!”

10. Surpassing Plushenko?
No.

:laugh:

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
Congrats to Yuzuru! He was fantastic and inspiring! :bow:

PS : GOAT has nothing to do with medals, prize and everything ;) OGM or not he was already the best for me before. It's about how you push the sport and the impact you have on it.

Oh, I just understand... where does this term come from? I never understand when I read about Plushenko. I thought that is a mockery..:palmf:

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
During the interview post his victory:

9. Comparing to the Sochi Gold Medal
“I can’t just compare them. What comes to mind now, is the dream that I had since childhood, or the journey of my life – I am, in a sense, nearing the end goal now. With consideration to this, I would like to say this to the young self who just started learning how to skate, who watched Evegeni Plushenko thinking “I want to get a gold in the Olympics!” – “Although many things have happened, I am still practising really hard!”

10. Surpassing Plushenko?
No.

:laugh:

they love and respect each other...

https://www.instagram.com/p/BfSY20FHl2q/ - I am so proud of Yuzuru!!!! What a champion!! Vamos Javier,you made it!!! Congratulations Shoma,what a competition,thank you for all great skaters

Plushenko is happy, he wanted Hanyu to win. And he was right he said some weeks ago: Yuzuru likely to win the Winter Olympics again and Yuzu can win with salchow and toe only. And he wanted Javi to a medal.