Hanyu defends Olympic title | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Hanyu defends Olympic title

LadyB

Record Breaker
First of all, I love both Javi and Yuzu and above all Brian Orser for coaching such a pair of highly gifted skaters.
Before the competition (and halfway through) I wanted Javi to win, merely because Yuzu had his gold already and to put the icing on the cake of a fantastic career. Then there was today. There was a 100pc switched on Yuzu. There was Seimei. I'll never forget this as long as I live. Does he deserve a second gold medal? Yes, most definitely.
And Javi is happy with his medal, which is class.

My most heartfelt congratulations to Yuzu and everyone who belongs to Team Orser! :points:

JustRozy

On the Ice
Country
United-States
Absolutely delighted, chuffed, in a tizzy and gobsmacked by Yuzu's win. I traveled to my home town to watch it with my Figure Skating fan group (aka: family) and we all had a blast. The uncertainty turned to celebration. I've not peeled myself from the ceiling yet.

You speak for my heart, too, Interspectator!

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I am so happy for Hanyu for coming back from injury so strong. He has a champion spirit. Unlike Orser and Chan who are very talented skatersand perhaps more n atural some skaters are better competitors -Witt, Yamaguchi, Savchenko,Boitano,Plushy, Evan are all ableto stay tough and win. Yes, this may sound sour grapes but there is some luc or somestars aligning but they do have talent but they are true competitors and they will end on top.

I guess it is sad because I want to give a gold to javi, pa.trick, nathan as well. But life isn't fair. And we are me first world. Savchenko wants more. Hanyu might want a third title. I hope Hanyu enjoys his title - he was so happy. I have a soft spot for Nathan and Patrick.

steiner

Rinkside
During the interview post his victory:

9. Comparing to the Sochi Gold Medal
“I can’t just compare them. What comes to mind now, is the dream that I had since childhood, or the journey of my life – I am, in a sense, nearing the end goal now. With consideration to this, I would like to say this to the young self who just started learning how to skate, who watched Evegeni Plushenko thinking “I want to get a gold in the Olympics!” – “Although many things have happened, I am still practising really hard!”

10. Surpassing Plushenko?
No.

:laugh:

As expected from a Plushie fanboy, lmao.

blthug

Rinkside
Congratulations to Yuzuru Hanyu 2x Olympic Gold medalist ❤️🎈❤️🎈A well deserved win after all that you’ve faced this season!

nekun

On the Ice
Any chance of Hanyū 2022?
Idk if Yuzu will stay until Beijing but he said he want to stay a bit longer after this Oly. But seriously tho I can't imagine Yuzu come to Beijing along with Gogolev from team Orser, the mental theater just killing me😂

Gogolev: I'll beat you old man!
Yuzu: This brat-

😂😂

Everyone said that a rare talent only appear once every 10 years, and there's a 10 years gab between Yuzuru(23) and Gogolev(13)

Rossig

On the Ice
Congratulation to Hanyu! He's an incredible skater. But I'm not happy that Olympic gold is won by a skater who brings back BOTH programs from previous seasons.

charlotte14

Medalist
I am so happy for Hanyu for coming back from injury so strong. He has a champion spirit. Unlike Orser and Chan who are very talented skatersand perhaps more n atural some skaters are better competitors -Witt, Yamaguchi, Savchenko,Boitano,Plushy, Evan are all ableto stay tough and win. Yes, this may sound sour grapes but there is some luc or somestars aligning but they do have talent but they are true competitors and they will end on top.

I guess it is sad because I want to give a gold to javi, pa.trick, nathan as well. But life isn't fair. And we are me first world. Savchenko wants more. Hanyu might want a third title. I hope Hanyu enjoys his title - he was so happy. I have a soft spot for Nathan and Patrick.
Yes it is.

charlotte14

Medalist
The base value is less than 2 points different and his 3A is thing of beauty.

I am not intend to argue though.
Oh I remember you agreed with someone to not respect Hanyu because he went to the Olympics with an easier layout. So it turns out you don't respect Hanyu because he ditched one 3A because his right ankle doed not allow him to do 4Loop.

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
These last four years have not been easy for him. Injuries, a lot of injuries, even injury threatening to end his career, rising quadsters, miss most of the season and skate at the olympics injured and just 3 weeks of training. Nevertheless he never gave up. He even raised the difficulty of his jump content with 4lo and 4lz when he did not even need it. The guy achieved technical and artistic perfection. That why no one has reached his scores even with harder jumps contents. He didin't finish lower than 2nd this entire quad (except 2014 NHK and we know why) and just won the olympics with an injury. This gold medal is not just for the olympics, but for his hard work and fighting this last quad. He is the king. The GOAT.

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
Uhh let's not do the GOAT... the moment they get showered with that title, loss of motivation, pressures to live up to that tag constantly and they want to retire! And I DON@T WANT HANYU TO RETIRE...just yet!!

By repeating his program so many times, he really robs the figure skating world of beautiful fantastic programs the likes we have not yet seen, that can last the end of the time, not just beautiful performances or world record scoring.

Hanyu is enormously talented beyond jumps, but now having gained his PCS stripes and WRs, I wish he would spread his wings and try new programs, experimentations, new artistic horizons, ambitions, not skating for points anymore. He neglected the artistic development of the sport for 2 seasons now and I wish for him to be a figurehead pushing the artistic boundaries for the men and really fulfill that aspect of his potential from Romeo and Juliet days. Skating beyond points, go for harmony, balance, new aesthetics, refinement, sensitivity, virtuousity. Something Patrick tries to do with the overall aspect of his skating, although his records do not always reflect his efforts, but to the insiders, who are real figure skating watchers that has an appreciation of pure skating, I feel he will be remembered fondly despite of it.

Ofcourse, I also wanted him to take a bit more easy, especially with old injuries. On the other hand.. as a fan since his beginnings, I am grateful for whatever he want to do with this sport... anything beyond this point is just a gift really...
He will always be the best ever Romeo for me, may be that is good enough.

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
More important than all this GOAT hyperbole, I think the most important thing about Yuzuru is his character.

He is unfailingly gracious, kind, encouraging to his competitors and truthful in his emotions all while carrying the weight of the expectations of his legions of fans. All sports could be so fortunate to have a Champion like Yuzuru Hanyu. He is always a compelling ambassador for the sport and his nation as well as someone who promotes all the best aspects of his sport. I hope more athletes ask themselves before they act or speak: WWYD? (What would Yuzuru do?)

Last edited:

jenm

The Last One Degree
Medalist
Congratulations, Yuzuru Hanyu, Two-Time Olympic Champion!!! :hap10:
My heart was in my mouth the whole time. What an amazing men's event.

Yuna and Yuzu are two of the greatest skaters and athletes the world has ever seen. And both, to me, are two-time Olympic Champions.

Also, love the bromance of Yuzu and Javi. I love that the podium looks like a skating family, Shoma being the baby. XD

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
Congratulations, Yuzuru Hanyu, Two-Time Olympic Champion!!! :hap10:
My heart was in my mouth the whole time. What an amazing men's event.

Yuna and Yuzu are two of the greatest skaters and athletes the world has ever seen. And both, to me, are two-time Olympic Champions.

Also, love the bromance of Yuzu and Javi. I love that the podium looks like a skating family, Shoma being the baby. XD

Bromances for the win! I think Javi was nearly as happy for Yuzu as he was for himself.