Rude reporters at the press conferences | Golden Skate

Rude reporters at the press conferences

perspicuosity

Rinkside
What's with the rude reporters at the post-skate press conferences?

For example, at today's post-pairs:

Reporter (to James / Cipres, 5th at OLY and 3rd at WC): "Between the Olympics and now, were you counting the teams ahead of you that dropped out of Worlds to see if you would get on the podium?"
Vanessa: ::death glare:: "No"

Plus you can always count on questions that are basically "How does it feel to screw up so badly at such an important event?"

For a while I've wondered why the skaters seem so disengaged and even hostile at their post-skate press conferences. Now I'm getting a better idea!

Edit: it was actually the SP press conference from yesterday: https://youtu.be/xgW5h5BPA8M?t=30m20s

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia

Reporter (to James / Cipres, 5th at OLY and 3rd at WC): "Between the Olympics and now, were you counting the teams ahead of you that dropped out of Worlds to see if you would get on the podium?"

Plus you can always count on questions that are basically "How does it feel to screw up so badly at such an important event?"

For a while I've wondered why the skaters seem so disengaged and even hostile at their post-skate press conferences. Now I'm getting a better idea!

WTH? That's terrible! Seriously, Vanessa handled that better than I would have! Honestly, don't be jerks reporters.

Some questions really are stupid like "You came second, I guess that wasn't part of your plan?" Obviously not, who comes to compete without the plan (or hope at least) that they can win! Honestly! Although...I guess you could troll them and be all "OMG it totally was!! I can't believe I actually managed to screw up just enough for the silver, that makes my day, it really does!"

Holy ****, what's wrong with people? It's a WC like any other WCs and if people did not show up it's their own decision. It can not disqualify the achievements of other teams. It's like if Nathan wins we say "Hey, you were lucky Yuzu withdrawn" or if Caro ends on the podium "Are you happy that Evgenia was injured?". These reporters are insulting the athletes at the core of their morality :disapp:

blackey

On the Ice
Holy ****, what's wrong with people? It's a WC like any other WCs and if people did not show up it's their own decision. It can not disqualify the achievements of other teams. It's like if Nathan wins we say "Hey, you were lucky Yuzu withdrawn" or if Caro ends on the podium "Are you happy that Evgenia was injured?". These reporters are insulting the athletes at the core of their morality :disapp:

Not sure if anyone ever asked Nathan, but it surely sounds like something Japanese media always ask their skaters.

BillNeal

You Know I'm a FS Fan...
Record Breaker
Sounds like said reporter may be one of those thinking FS is fixed and that skaters don't exactly need to earn their medals and get them by default :disapp:

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
Thankfully, there are also more friendly reporters, though these might be heard less. I agree that it's a tough and rude question about counting down the numbers because of certain competitors not present (ice is slippery in any case), but I bet many people thought the same so it gets asked. Don't bash me for this please, but that's generally how it works. Just as they'll be terribly negative about Shoma when he might not get a medal. Who cares that the poor guy had ankle and boot problems? On the other hand, I felt Tarosova/Morosov handled the questions about their (nearly) disastrous free at the Olympics quite well. Most skaters are used to nasty and rude questions and get some training to answer them. Doesn't make it better of course when you get a question like that, but it helps.

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

Was this for the FP press conference for pairs? Because if so, then I can't find it.

I think the problem is that the reporters really have nothing to say and nothing interesting or intelligent to ask. It is the same in all sports reporting. They have to say something besides, "What did you have for breakfast this morning?" so this is how it comes out.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I know there are great reporters out there....but sadly with each pasding day I think there are fewer and fewer of them. I’ve almost entirely lost trust in any major news outlet. The Guardian is about the only one I turn to when I am looking for honest answers and questions.

But seriously, what can a sports reporter ask?

"You won. Are ypu happy?" "Yes."

"You lost, are you sad?" "Yes."

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

How about....what music do you listen to while warming up? Do you use an iPhone or Android? What’s your favorite dish for dinner? Did you feel confident or were you more nervous? How was your flight? Have you considered colorful laces? What’s your favorite animal? Do you have time to read books? Pancakes or waffles? What’s the last movie you watched? What’s your favorite part of your program? Are you a strong swimmer? Did you watch anyone else perform? Have you been to Italy before? Do you enjoy bagged milk?

gravy

¿No ven quién soy yo?
Record Breaker
To quote a gymnastics blog I follow that tweeted this during pyeongchang:

The three NBC Olympics interview “questions”:
1) Put this into words.
2) You were 4th and trash. Explain.
3) Please cry re: dead mom, thx.

source: https://twitter.com/TheBBSituation/status/964381479848443909

I love Spencer! His blog is like 90% of why I follow NCAA gymnastics and I love him on the Gymcastic podcast.

This list is not inaccurate when describing the type of questions Andrea Joyce asks athletes in both sports.

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
^ Thank you for making my point, Sam. ;)

I’d really prefer to learn stuff like that besides a prying reporter who is going to stir speculation and trigger drama for those who are easily triggered.

perspicuosity

Rinkside

True, but post-skate press conferences aren't supposed to be the Watergate investigation.

An example of questions I actually liked: someone today asked Bruno and Aljona, and Vanessa and Morgan, what each team remembers about its first meeting / tryout. The responses were very emotional (esp. V and M) and it felt nicely full-circle.

charlotte14

Medalist
I know there are great reporters out there....but sadly with each pasding day I think there are fewer and fewer of them. I’ve almost entirely lost trust in any major news outlet. The Guardian is about the only one I turn to when I am looking for honest answers and questions.
Phil Hersh asked Hanyu about his weight... :giveup: you know if Hanyu were a lady, people might have screamed at Phil for weeks.

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
True, but post-skate press conferences aren't supposed to be the Watergate investigation.

An example of questions I actually liked: someone today asked Bruno and Aljona, and Vanessa and Morgan, what each team remembers about its first meeting / tryout. The responses were very emotional (esp. V and M) and it felt nicely full-circle.

I just read the article about that, very interesting! Although I wonder if they asked T/M that question too? I'd be interested to know!

Phil Hersh asked Hanyu about his weight... :giveup: you know if Hanyu were a lady, people might have screamed at Phil for weeks.

Well Phil Hersh is apparently a grade-A jerk, but WTH was he asking that for? I hope Hanyu didn't answer!