New Fan Fest Threads - Please Adopt an Orphan? | Page 25 | Golden Skate

New Fan Fest Threads - Please Adopt an Orphan?

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
which threads need new owners (who don't have real owners besides gsk8 or the forum staff)
bc there's one I definitely want if they're ready to give her up :pray:

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
which threads need new owners (who don't have real owners besides gsk8 or the forum staff)
bc there's one I definitely want if they're ready to give her up :pray:

I just went investigating, and I got a big surprise. One of the skaters that I married in my Crazy Future Predictions story a couple of years ago has a banned parent! :shocked:

What’s more, she’s the newly crowned Ladies World Champion! :jaw:

So, unless one of the regular contributors to her Fan Fest wish to take her on, I wouldn’t mind adopting Kaetlyn myself.

Anyway, here is a list of the Fan Fests that are definitely currently available. I should add that there are a lot of other threads that belong to Moderators, but I don’t know if they would like any of them taken off their hands.

But as I said before in another thread, if anybody was interested in adopting Javier RAYA from me, I would be willing to let him go to a better home.

CaroLiza_fan

Ladies

Kaetlyn OSMOND (coolboogie22 - now adopted by Osmond4gold)
Samantha CESARIO (GS Forum Staff)
Sasha COHEN (GS Forum Staff - now adopted by Spirals for Miles)
Caroline ZHĀNG (GS Forum Staff)
Sofia SAMODUROVA (sneakers - now adopted by Spirals for Miles)

Men

Alexei YAGUDIN (GS Forum Staff)
Artem KOVALEV (gsk8)
Denis MARGALIK (gsk8)
Ilia SKIRDA (gsk8)

Pairs

YÚ Xiǎoyǔ & JĪN Yáng (GS Forum Staff)
Anastasia A. GUBANOVA & Alexei SINTSOV (gsk8)
Anastasia POLUIANOVA & Stepan KOROTKOV (gsk8)

Ice Dance

Victoria SINITSINA & Ruslan ZHIGANSHIN (GS Forum Staff)
Mackenzie BENT & Dmitre RAZGULAJEVS (gsk8)
Julia BIECHLER & Damian DODGE (gsk8)
Sofia EVDOKIMOVA & Egor BAZIN (gsk8)
Elena ILINYKH & Nikita KATSALAPOV (gsk8)
Sofia POLISHCHUK & Alexander VAKHNOV (gsk8)
Sofia SHEVCHENKO & Igor EREMENKO (gsk8)

Spirals for Miles

Record Breaker
What happens if a user who is confirmed to have left GoldenSkate (not coming back) owns fanfests? do those go up for adoption?

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
What happens if a user who is confirmed to have left GoldenSkate (not coming back) owns fanfests? do those go up for adoption?

That's a tricky one.

Take this example: a few months ago a particular member said that he was leaving GS for good, and specifically requested that the Fan Fest he ran be transferred over to another member who had been helping him with it.

So, it was duly done.

But, the original parent is now posting on the forum again.

Although it hasn't happened in this case (at time of writing), what if the original parent wanted to re-claim their child? It could turn into a very complicated, and very messy, custody battle.

So, it is best to avoid re-allocating Fan Fests where the parent is potentially able to come back in the future. Better to just keep this option only for parents who are actually banned.

CaroLiza_fan

Spirals for Miles

Record Breaker
Hmmm, yeah that's true
BUT, this poster made it very clear to me and other posters that he was DONE.
But I see your point.

Spirals for Miles

Record Breaker
Will just reiterate my desire to adopt whichever of puremagic’s fanfests need adoption still

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I would like to open and adopt a new thread for the 9-year-old prodigy Reece rose. :)

Proposed Rules said:
Starting a Fan Fest for Young Skaters

While we certainly love following a skater's journey, we ask for discernment before starting a Fan Fest for young skater.

We require that skaters in a Fan Fest thread be at least 10 years old. We strongly recommend, waiting until a skater is at least 13 years old and/or competing at least at the junior level domestically (or Novice level internationally).

For skaters younger than 10 (or do not yet have a Fan Fest thread of their own), that you consider using or starting a thread devoted to young skaters.

You can post about such very young skaters in this Promising Skaters fan fest

Team Canada Promising Young Skaters
https://www.goldenskate.com/forum/showthread.php?53723

Last edited:

Spirals for Miles

Record Breaker
Oops... so Berestovskaya, Akatieva, and Samodelkina shouldn't have had fanfests until around now? (Samodelkina turned 11 in February, Akatieva in July, and Berestovskaya is still 10 but in Russia you can't compete domestically as a junior until 12 and none of them have been assigned internationally as novices for some reason I don't know)

surimi

Onward and forward, Sota!
Record Breaker
regarding fanfests

Hi GS staff, I have been wondering about one aspect of fanfests for a while. The question is, what is GS's long term policy regarding fanfest original post maintenance? Under the current system, the OP in a fanfest can only be updated by either a moderator, or its original poster. No re-adopting is allowed, unless the OP has been banned / is GS staff.

However, I have been wondering to what extent this status quo is sustainable in the long term. There are two question marks that I see:
- the rapidly growing number of fanfests for new skaters while the older ones remain. The fanfest forums expand very fast. The threads remain, but the original posters are not always around anymore to keep them up-to-date. Can a small team of FF maintenance staffers really juggle all that in a couple more years, for many more skaters? Add to that -
- the recent purge of videos on YT, maybe in other sources as well. Videos and their uploaders keep getting banned, many links in the OPs lead nowhere and need to be deleted/substituted for working ones, in addition to the ever-changing (or at least once-in-a-season changing) result lists. Only the still active 'adoptive parents' and the staffers who update fanfests, can do that at present.

Now, this quote of gsk8 caught my eye in another recent thread: "We hope that Golden Skaters will adopt their favs, and will add active videos of them to their threads." There are people who would enjoy maintaining their favorites' threads, but cannot, unless through a moderator via PM. I did that multiple times. And it takes time to explain what you want changed/deleted/added/substituted. Twice as much time than when I can simply and quickly edit in the updates I come up with. I am willing to give it the time, but there are no doubt people who cannot spare it. Sometimes one stumbles upon working videos on several individual ocassions, and in the current system, it means contacting a mod every single time... which is impractical IMO.

Therefore I ask: Is there really no way to make OPs re-adoptable, or at least maintainable by interested active users? I know there are potential issues such as the OP returning and deciding they don't like the new layout/want the thread back. But in my eyes, the pros (less work for the fanfest mods who could just check the new posts instead of spending hours updating OPs; users not having to go through mods to update various small things; FF OPs being up-to-date more easily and more often...) outweigh the cons in this case. I beg that GS staff at least consider this. Thank you.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
No re-adopting is allowed, unless the OP has been banned / is GS staff.

Who said this or where did you read it?

The conversation below is from the thread "New Fan Fest Threads - Please Adopt An Orphan?".

The conversation is from Apr 2018, but there have been no updates to that thread that indicate any change in policy.

Emphasis added.

That's a tricky one.

Take this example: a few months ago a particular member said that he was leaving GS for good, and specifically requested that the Fan Fest he ran be transferred over to another member who had been helping him with it.

So, it was duly done.

But, the original parent is now posting on the forum again.

Although it hasn't happened in this case (at time of writing), what if the original parent wanted to re-claim their child? It could turn into a very complicated, and very messy, custody battle.

So, it is best to avoid re-allocating Fan Fests where the parent is potentially able to come back in the future. Better to just keep this option only for parents who are actually banned.

CaroLiza_fan

(A few days earlier, that thread did have a list of threads that then-belonged to GS forum staff and were available for re-adoption by others. But I don't think that is the focus of gsk8's query.)

surimi

Onward and forward, Sota!
Record Breaker
^ Thanks for the find, ice coverage.
I did some searching, and found out I'd also asked about it on the bottom of page 24 of the 'Adopt an Orphan' thread a year ago, and got the same answer. I also noticed people hoping to re-adopt fanfests in that thread, or offering theirs for adoption due to lack of time to upkeep them.

One of my points is, it seems quite practical to me for a designated fan to be able to edit stuff into their favorite's OP themselves, without an intermediary. If it was possible for fans to come forward and maintain (or re-adopt, whichever) fanfests they volunteer for, I think it would both take some weight off the mods' shoulders, and keep the updating process smooth and quick.
That is not to say I don't appreciate mods' work, btw :) Without CaroLiza's advice today, I wouldn't be able to fix the grid of my new result table in my only fanfest, for example :thank: