2018 Skate Canada Ladies Short Program | Page 37 | Golden Skate

2018 Skate Canada Ladies Short Program

moriel

Record Breaker
It was a glorious jump and the judges who put -1 in should hang their heads in shame! Seriously -1? It was fast, effortless, high, got good ice coverage. So rude!

We got to ask our fellow GS people who ar at the venue to throw some rotten food at Mr. David MUNOZ

Danny T

Medalist
Well, Zhenya's fans keep saying that doing a Lz in short is a great decision, despite her getting ! on every competition this year.
I suppose you can check their explanations.

Medvedeva currently still has a great reputation with the judges though. Her ! doesn't do anything to the base value, AND in the end she still nets positive GOE. Wakaba is always called on that flip, often with a full (e) killing her BV and GOE. Wakaba's 3F in the second half got only 1+ points more than Med's missed combo and 3F<<.

So basically tonight:

1. Caryn Kadavy could have done Mariah's program

2. Rory Flack Burghart could have done Evegenia's

3. Denise Bielmann could have done Wakaba's

Oh figure skating. The times change but you don't :biggrin::devil:

But no one could have done that Una Voce Poco Fa like Mako Yamashita! Does anyone know who the singer is?

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
So, am I allowed to complain about the scoring as the highest PCS of the night went to a program with a huge mistake? :slink:

Depends. Did you also complain about Shoma? If yes, then go right ahead. If not, then no, because that would be rather hypocritical.

andromache

Record Breaker
I feel like earlier in the season I was commenting how odd it was that so few junior ladies were getting StSq4. Now the same thing is happening for seniors. I'm not sure how the StSq levels have changed since last season (but I assume they have), but I think it takes adjusting after competition to figure it out. Very odd here to see so many top ladies with StSq2 and StSq3, with only one StSq4 - but that was also happening in the first few junior events, so it must take some adjusting?

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I sincerely hope the judge who put -1 for Liza's 3A gets called out in the RT discussion. Where's he from?

neusw

On the Ice
So, what with Liza's GOE for 3A: 3 1 3 0 3 -1 0 4 -1

Was it good jump or bad?

I thought it was excellent and controlled, but could see why some judges didn't like it due to some ice flurry on landing being interpreted as a scratchy landing.

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
It was a glorious jump and the judges who put -1 in should hang their heads in shame! Seriously -1? It was fast, effortless, high, got good ice coverage. So rude!

Maybe that judge was hangry. Happens to the best of us. Mishin needs to slip the panel a snickers bar each before the LP.

lesnar001

Record Breaker
She doesn’t have a lot, but what she has works. Her jumps are solid enough to carry a programme. And I find her skating fun — I’m never worried about a fall or concerned that she’s frail. She just jumped a 3A like a 2A. So don’t give her crazy PCS — she isn’t the most lyrical skater. But she has a performance quality that most of the ladies she’s competing against never will, real technical elements, and I would rather watch her than anyone else here save Higuchi.

It’s not like I’m watching Medvedeva or Zagitova or LizBet for their skating skills or a jump clinic. [emoji849]

Gee - I didn't realize that Alina was skating tonight.
Can't even wait until next week to bring the "nasty"?

Memo to self - learn how to use the "ignore" function before next week's competition.

Fluture

Record Breaker
What I‘ve learned from this event:

1) never make predictions in the predictions thread again, I‘ll just jinx my favourites. And I don‘t want Alina to bomb next week, that would be overkill.

2) never stay up late again to watch a competition live. Seems like I‘m not bringing any good luck and besides my lack of sleep makes me more negative than I normally am. :laugh:

mau

3Lz3Lo3Lo3Lo3Lo
On the Ice
The judge who gave Liza a -1 for her 3A also gave her a 6 in PCS. :eek:

GGFan

Record Breaker
I thought it was excellent and controlled, but could see why some judges didn't like it due to some ice flurry on landing being interpreted as a scratchy landing.

They can also take off -2 or -3 for long preparation. Even if you give her two bullets you can still end up at -1. It just depends on what each judge saw.

leoleo

Medalist
God i really hate this stupid new rule of not being able to discuss competitions in other threads. It's so messy in here :scratch2:

Country
Russia
The only two who skated really clean are Liza and Starr.

Starr did it only for 6 days after disaster, what a strong girl.
Liza - yesterday she had not clean exit of 3A, at morning practice today she did it first time. And in program too!

I'm applauding to both.

kimi492

Final Flight
So, what with Liza's GOE for 3A: 3 1 3 0 3 -1 0 4 -1

Was it good jump or bad?

Liza's 3A has great height but not a lot of distance - it almost goes straight up and down, so some judges may not give her that bullet. Her prolonged entry may affect whether or not judges ding her for poor takeoff/landing. They may also deduct for lack of effortlessness. It has no creative entry, the jump is not musical. So ultimately, like everything else, it's highly subjective. IMO +1 is appropriate here

moriel

Record Breaker
What I‘ve learned from this event:

1) never make predictions in the predictions thread again, I‘ll just jinx my favourites. And I don‘t want Alina to bomb next week, that would be overkill.

2) never stay up late again to watch a competition live. Seems like I‘m not bringing any good luck and besides my lack of sleep makes me more negative than I normally am. :laugh:

2 is bs
If you dont stay up, it will be the best even ever, everybody will skate clean and perfect, and youll miss that.
Always happens.