2018 Skate Canada Ladies Short Program | Page 38 | Golden Skate

2018 Skate Canada Ladies Short Program

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
The judge who gave Liza a -1 for her 3A also gave her a 6 in PCS. :eek:

So..not a fan then... Maybe the Empress will find him on twitter and give him (David is a him..) a piece of her mind. :drama:

Last edited:

Danny T

Medalist
2 is bs
If you dont stay up, it will be the best even ever, everybody will skate clean and perfect, and youll miss that.
Always happens.

#mood :rofl:

(Overslept and missed GPF 2015 LP, biggest regret of my fecking life :drama:)

Jeanie19

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Actually, nothing. TAT seems to have been a little upset, but tried not to show it. She said that for Zhenya it would be better to miss the Grand Prix to prepare for the RusNat. That there small gap between the second and seventh place. Zhenya is a favorite of TAT, don't worry :)

I can't help but worry. Worry is my middle name.

Danny T

Medalist
maybe we should all skip an event.
If nobody watches it, the skaters will have the skate of their lives, all together at the same event?

Maybe that's why ISU is so restrictive towards livestream. They knew :laugh2:

moriel

Record Breaker
I can't help but worry. Worry is my middle name.

Nah, TAT is being friendly.
She is upset, but she is being as supportive as an upset TAT can be.

She didn't even call Zhenya fat as she usually does when a skater bombs

Metis

Shepherdess of the Teal Deer
Record Breaker
Medvedeva currently still has a great reputation with the judges though. Her ! doesn't do anything to the base value, AND in the end she still nets positive GOE. Wakaba is always called on that flip, often with a full (e) killing her BV and GOE. Wakaba's 3F in the second half got only 1+ points more than Med's missed combo and 3F<<.
Technically, a “!” call is a -1 to -3 GOE reduction (which can be offset by positive features), and since GOE is now 10% of BV, it’s true in some sense that a ! call isn’t a BV hit like a UR call... but depending on the combination of positive and negative features, it’s possible to push the jump’s value below BV, with an unclear edge alone a potential -30%. And a judge can deduct a point from GOE for an uncalled unclear edge. The risk/reward is arguably not in favour of going for both the 3Lz and the 3F if a skater has a potential edge issue with one of the two. I’m not sure reputation is enough of a shield with how quickly points add up for high positive GOE.

Jeanie19

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Question about Med’s missed combo — was it placed later only for the potential bonus? You’d think if it were first and missed she would adjust later.

Yes. She did at 2016 worlds. It's risky having the combo be the last jump.

Orlov

Medalist
This new GOE system is such a flipping mess! watching figure skating with such useless judges makes me angry

This is not related to the new assessment system. Such variations are due to the subjectivity of human perception. The cure for this is a large number of judges and the rule of a truncated average (the highest and lowest score is discarded when taking the average). The system is working - it was a good jump and +1.03 GOE is right for him.

yude

Record Breaker
My stream froze many times but it was good event overall, skaters ended close in points as same as men's event so FS is going to be exciting!

I hope all skaters to take care of their feet :pray:

Fluture

Record Breaker
2 is bs
If you dont stay up, it will be the best even ever, everybody will skate clean and perfect, and youll miss that.
Always happens.

I know it‘s bs. It‘s superstitious and not logical at all. But honestly, I‘d actually prefer to miss an event if in exchange everyone has a perfect skate. Then at least I can marvel at it afterwards. :laugh:

colormyworld240

Medalist
Actually, nothing. TAT seems to have been a little upset, but tried not to show it. She said that for Zhenya it would be better to miss the Grand Prix to prepare for the RusNat. That there small gap between the second and seventh place. Zhenya is a favorite of TAT, don't worry :)

TAT not too long ago also said Evgenia could just skip RusNats. Thankfully, Evgenia is not an idiot and doesn't listen to a thing TAT says. No one should, TAT has a long history of swinging favourites and publicly shaming skaters. Whether she's singing you endless praises, or telling you your swan looks like a duck, she's just nuts.

Orlov

Medalist
What I‘ve learned from this event:

1) never make predictions in the predictions thread again, I‘ll just jinx my favourites. And I don‘t want Alina to bomb next week, that would be overkill.

2) never stay up late again to watch a competition live. Seems like I‘m not bringing any good luck and besides my lack of sleep makes me more negative than I normally am. :laugh:

Oh come on, lady-dude :) Do not worry so much. Everything will eventually be good. Be patient.

It's even epic. “It’s not necessary for a hero to die, but he has to touch death. Once on the verge of death, the hero looks to where the path is closed to ordinary people. He gains divine power - and is symbolically reborn in a new capacity.”

Mawwerg

Final Flight
These scores also show how high GOE are important. Even with 3A and higher PCS Liza gained slightly lower score than Trusova in Kaunas.

moriel

Record Breaker
Wasnt paying attention, and not ready to re-watch it
but i think i heard tat saying that zhenya should skip GP and prepare for rusnats.

Danny T

Medalist
TAT not too long ago also said Evgenia could just skip RusNats. Thankfully, Evgenia is not an idiot and doesn't listen to a thing TAT says. No one should, TAT has a long history of swinging favourites and publicly shaming skaters. Whether she's singing you endless praises, or telling you your swan looks like a duck, she's just nuts.

Ah but that's where all the fun lies. What would skating be without the great Tarasova :laugh:

(On a more serious note, I hope all the Russian ladies know this and not take any of her fatshaming seriously. That has always been yikes :palmf:)

Seren

Wakabond Forever
Record Breaker
It’s a good thing I have wine at my house so I can drink my anxiety watching tomorrow.

Hopefully Med and Jason can motivate each other. I feel badly for Evgenia, great skaters have off days, and I think we all forget how hard figure skating is. I’ve been skating for over 20 years and yesterday I fell on a back 3-turn... (which is about as embarrassing as it sounds). A bad skate doesn’t make someone less of a skater. Bombing the LP at Worlds didn’t change how wonderful a skater Alina is. All our favorites- from Yuna, Yuzuru, Javi, Nathan, Shoma and down the line have had bad skates. Missing a combo is not the death knell of anyone’s season. I feel bad for Evgenia because she really hasn’t had to deal with this before- but I believe she’ll learn from it and end up stronger.

Honestly with the consistency issues many of these skaters have this time tomorrow we could all be like “remember when Evgenia was in 7th place and came back and won?” Ice is slippery and weirder things have happened.

neusw

On the Ice
These scores also show how high GOE are important. Even with 3A and higher PCS Liza gained slightly lower score than Trusova in Kaunas.

They've been handing out the GOE like candy on the JGP circuit this year (to all skaters, not just the top ones). Kind of surprised that a different approach is happening for seniors.

frida80

Record Breaker
I've been looking at Wakaba's Flip over and over. It's definitely a lip, but it's not underrotated. I'm confused.