2018 GP Helsinki Ladies Free Skate | Page 33 | Golden Skate

2018 GP Helsinki Ladies Free Skate

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
She doesn't usually though. Only other one I can remember is Russian nationals (where she messed up in the short). Skating scores shows since 2016-2017. Her only clean free skates were this and RusNats according to them.

Orlov

Medalist
You're speaking of them as if they were authorities who no one can challenge. :scratch2:

Like, they are not perfect. They are far from being perfect. There's a lot going on in the backstage. The bias is real, everyone knows it. It is common sense that figure skating is messy when it comes to judging. It is the sad truth. :eek:hwell:

"everyone knows it"- it's very bad argument. Are you sure that is judges were biased? May be it's you bias? What gives you confidence that your opinion is objective?

rikaquegira

On the Ice
"everyone knows it"- it's very bad argument. Are you sure that is judges were biased? May be it's you bias? What gives you confidence that your opinion is objective?

Perhaps the same confidence with which you claim judges are not biased at all? They absolutely know what they’re doing at all times and are perfectly fair at all times and everything is good and beautiful in this world.
There are countless cases of “strange” scores and lenient judging and selective panels and etc. If you have never seen one, good for you! I wish I was that optimistic!
I end this discussion here since none of us will change opinions and this is really pointless anyway.
[emoji23]

Fluture

Record Breaker

Listen, I‘m a relatively new skating fan, too because I‘m still young. I wasn‘t alive to witness many performances. But even I know that they were some big uproars in skating, lots of bias, wrong judging and scandals. Google it and you‘ll find out some pretty interesting things. :laugh:

And actually, it‘s quite logical: Every sport that has a somewhat subjective part of the score - PCS in this case - can easily be manipulated. It‘s always been like that. It‘s humans who are judging after all, not machines.

theharleyquinn

Medalist
And even beyond outright manipulation in a corrupt sense, judges can be swayed by how the crowd receives a performance. A skate with some transitional/skating skills defects that was still exciting or had good music to get the crowd going may get a subjective boost by the judges. PCS is relative, not absolute (and I grumble about it a lot). A relative system is going to have human error.

lesnar001

Record Breaker
Always going to be disagreements when it comes to figure skating.

But one thing I think everyone will agree on....

I hope after this competition, we will NEVER see that foot ad again!:palmf:

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I’m happy for Stasya. A lot of vocal support here for other skaters but she’s often overlooked and even used as somewhat of a punching bag. Good for her to get a silver at her first GP event. She seems to have the ability to put together a good FS which really pays off big in an event like this. It would be cool to see her sneak into the GPF and it wouldn’t be all that shocking TBH.

frida80

Record Breaker
I love this podiums. The hexagonal shape is awesome. Nice colors. Just think just a few weeks before we see the French disco wobble podiums.

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
I bet at least 3 skaters will be tied with 2-3. Yamashita can be at least third at rostelecom. I would love to see her in for GPF.

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
Aww, lots of support for Kaori in the VC.

Too bad nobody brought a Russian flag so Alina had to get one from Dasha...

leoleo

Medalist
Wish Alina looked happier. She's taking that mistake too hard. It happens.

She knows people have high expectations and she is also a perfectionist. Even with a clean skate, she knows she made mistakes, could have been better. It's not enough for her, which is good, but only if she's strong enough to not let it get to her and disrupt her when she really needs to deliver. She made a great comeback today so we know she can stay focused enough to deliver when it's needed.

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
Wish Alina looked happier. She's taking that mistake too hard. It happens.

When you know that you have to earn the love of your fed (so good politicking behind you) with each skate, a single mistake can be costly.

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
You have a lot to learn.

TBH with the way the rules change each year we all have a lot to learn. The rules and trends have shifted so much since I started watching Sasha Cohen. Honestly I think it’s harder for some of the old school fans to adapt than for new ones to figure it out ;)

leoleo

Medalist
TBH with the way the rules change each year we all have a lot to learn. The rules and trends have shifted so much since I started watching Sasha Cohen. Honestly I think it’s harder for some of the old school fans to adapt than for new ones to figure it out ;)

this makes no sense sorry :laugh:

No wonder Kaori is getting so much support, the venue in Helsinki is probably full of japanese fans.

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
this makes no sense sorry :laugh:.

Which part? That the rules change so much it’s hard to keep up or that it’s harder for longtime fans to adapt to the changes than for new fans to learn them :)

I don’t think any of us have it all figured out...that’s my point :peace:

leoleo

Medalist
Which part? That the rules change so much it’s hard to keep up or that it’s harder for longtime fans to adapt to the changes than for new fans to learn them :)

yes. Why would they have a harder time if they've been adapting to new rules every time the ISU changes them? the ISU changes rules like every 2yrs. Old fans should be used to rules changing. Logically new fans who aren't used to the rules should be the ones confused: "why are the rules not the same as they were last year? :confused:" :laugh: