Random Figure Skating Questions | Page 180 | Golden Skate

Random Figure Skating Questions

rmsxvi

Rinkside
Can anyone tell me what move do you call where Alina turns 3 times on her last spin then goes into a broken leg into a i-position?

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Can anyone tell me what move do you call where Alina turns 3 times on her last spin then goes into a broken leg into a i-position?

Can you possibly be a little more specific, please? SP? FS? I just checked both her FS and SP from GPF and she doesn't do a broken leg spin at all. Before the I-position she does a regular sit, and before that she does illusions or windmills.

Zhafiraiha

On the Ice
Hello! I'm currently doing a research on FS new rules to see what exactly the changes are, and I stumbled upon something that I found interesting. In the new rulebook, it's written that:

Any additional element or elements exceeding the prescribed numbers will not be counted in the results of a participant. Only the first attempt (or allowed number of attempts) of an element will be taken into account.

But, it's also said:

If an extra jump(s) is executed only the individual jump which is not according to the requirements will have no value. The jumps are considered in the order of execution.

Does that mean that in singles, if skaters decide to add an extra jump, it has to be combo, or else it's not scored?

gkelly

Record Breaker
For the senior and junior singles freeskate, there are 7 jump passes allowed, of which 3 can be combinations or sequences, 1 of which may be a 3-jump combination. There are also limits on the number of triple and quad jumps that may be repeated (maximum 2 triples or 1 triple and 1 quad), and no double, triple, or quad jump may be included more than twice.

Therefore, as I understand it:

If you include an eighth jumping pass (solo or combo or sequence), it will not count at all.

If you include a fourth combination or sequence, or a second 3-jump combination, the last jump will not count.

If you repeat a third type of triple or second type of quad, or second triple after you've also repeated a quad, it won't count because you've already used up your allowed repeats. But if it is in combination or sequence, and the other jump is not in violation of the rules, then that other jump will count.

If you do the same jump three times, the third time will not count. But if it is in combination or sequence, and the other jump is not in violation of the rules, then that other jump will count.

heytherewhatsup

Rinkside
How can you tell if your skates have broken down? I have had the edea chorus for 1.5 years, and recently it started to loosen up very quickly. The ankle part of the boots feel softer than before but the remaining parts feel the same. I’m not sure if I should just replace the laces or the skates as well? FYI, I skate around 3-4 hours per week and weigh about 50kg. Thanks :)

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
How can you tell if your skates have broken down? I have had the edea chorus for 1.5 years, and recently it started to loosen up very quickly. The ankle part of the boots feel softer than before but the remaining parts feel the same. I’m not sure if I should just replace the laces or the skates as well? FYI, I skate around 3-4 hours per week and weigh about 50kg. Thanks :)

They may have broken down. Are they majorly creased at the ankles, do you feel like they don't support you, is there a skate pro you can take them to in order to get them checked out. It's hard to tell you if they are really broken down w/o seeing them myself. Also, depending on many factors 1.5 years can be a decent life run for boots. There are so many factors though.

heytherewhatsup

Rinkside
They may have broken down. Are they majorly creased at the ankles, do you feel like they don't support you, is there a skate pro you can take them to in order to get them checked out. It's hard to tell you if they are really broken down w/o seeing them myself. Also, depending on many factors 1.5 years can be a decent life run for boots. There are so many factors though.

They are slightly creased at the ankles, especially the right one. The main thing that bothers me is that they loosen up quickly and I have to retie them after 10 minutes.

Unfortunately I wouldn’t be able to get help from a coach or skate pro until early February.

Thanks a lot though!

heytherewhatsup

Rinkside
Does anyone of you, especially adult skater, have problems with rotations? My axel is consistent but my doubles are always underrotated, sometimes 1/4 sometimes 1/3 or even 1/2. Partly it’s because of my mental blocks, but I have also found that I can’t do more than 1.5 rotations off ice. I looked at my vids and my rotation in the air is terribly slow. Any suggestions on improvement?

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
The answer I wrote to a question in a thread over in The Edge started me thinking further about one of the scenarios I suggested. And now I want to know if it is actually possible.

Is there anything in the ISU rules that specifically stops a skater who has never competed in a Senior competition (but who meets all the other criteria, such as minimum age and minimum TES) from going straight in and competing at a Senior Major?

Using the skater I was talking about in the other thread:

• Marina Piredda is the newly-crowned Italian Junior Ladies Champion.
  • She turned 16 in September.
  • The highest level she has competed at (internationally or domestically) is Junior.
  • She attained the SP minimum TES (23.00) for Europeans at the Hallowe'en Cup in October (28.76).
  • She attained the SP minimum TES (29.00) for Worlds at the Riedell Cup in November (32.77).
  • She attained the FS minimum TES (40.00) for Europeans at the JGP Richmond in September (41.43).
  • She attained the FS minimum TES (49.00) for Worlds at the Dragon Trophy in February (49.42). Please note that this was attained under the old +3 / -3 GOE System. Her highest FS TES at an international competition under the new +5 / -5 GOE System is 45.48, from the Hallowe'en Cup in October.

Here is her ISU Bio and her Rink Results Bio.

The Top 2 in Nationals (Alessia Tornaghi and Lucrezia Beccari) are too young to compete in the Senior Majors this season. The girls in 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] (Lara Naki Gutmann) and 4[SUP]th[/SUP] (Chenny Paolucci) are old enough. But, Piredda's scores are consistently better than Paolucci's.

So, given that she has never competed in a Senior competition before, would the rules allow Piredda to go to Europeans as it stands? Or, would she need to compete in a Senior competition between now and then to be eligible for Europeans?

CaroLiza_fan

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
No. Senior TES can only be earned at Senior competitions. Scores earned at Junior internationals don't count for Seniors, only Juniors.

This rule was changed two years ago and was a major reason for half the angst over the US men's team selection for 2017.

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
No. Senior TES can only be earned at Senior competitions. Scores earned at Junior internationals don't count for Seniors, only Juniors.

This rule was changed two years ago and was a major reason for half the angst over the US men's team selection for 2017.

Thank you karne. :bow: :thank:

I had a feeling that you had to have competed in a Senior competition to be eligible for the Senior Majors (which was why I asked the question, to check), but didn't realise that the minimum TES's actually had to be achieved in a Senior competition.

That's rough for any skaters who have moved up from Juniors, but haven't been able to compete in any Senior competition yet through injury.

But, hey, that's the rules and it's the same for everybody.

(Now going back to look up results from 2017 to try to work out what people were complaining about... :slink: )

Bit late, but Happy New Year! :hb:

CaroLiza_fan

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
(Now going back to look up results from 2017 to try to work out what people were complaining about... :slink: )

Vincent finished ahead of Jason at Nationals but did not have his Senior TES. Jason was (correctly) chosen for Worlds even though Vincent had time to get the TES (which he duly did).

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Vincent finished ahead of Jason at Nationals but did not have his Senior TES. Jason was (correctly) chosen for Worlds even though Vincent had time to get the TES (which he duly did).

Ah, thank you! The only controversy I could think of involving the American Men's selections was about Ross not being selected for the Olympics last season.

There have been so many complaints over selection choices over the last few years that I have got to the stage that I just don't pay any attention to the complaints any more. The Feds have made their choices, and we just have to go with them.

By the way, I have added a note to that other post explaining what you said, and crediting you.

CaroLiza_fan

ice coverage

Record Breaker
… That's rough for any skaters who have moved up from Juniors, but haven't been able to compete in any Senior competition yet through injury. ...

(Now going back to look up results from 2017 to try to work out what people were complaining about... :slink: ) ...

Please note:
The full story re Vincent is more complicated than karne's brief summary/opinion.
It was not a black-and-white situation.​

And injury was part of the controversy.

As karne mentioned, 2016-17 was the first season that the ISU rule went into effect that only scores from senior internationals would count toward reaching senior TES minimums.
Because of injury, Vincent Zhou had withdrawn after the senior SP at 2016 Golden Spin … which meant that going into 2017 U.S. Nats, he did not yet have the TES minimums for Worlds, although his junior international scores did easily exceed them.

For 2017 Worlds, the U.S. had only two slots for men. Vincent placed second at Nats, with a large point margin over Jason Brown in third.
As usual, USFS within hours announced its selections for Worlds and Junior Worlds. And as usual, gave no explanation for its decisions.
USFS selected Jason for the second slot for Worlds, and named Vincent as first alternate for Worlds.
USFS selected Vincent for Junior Worlds.
(In 2016, USFS had selected Nathan both for Worlds and Junior Worlds, so selecting Vincent for both would not have been unprecedented.)
Lots of discussion ensued on GS. Things got quite heated.

Among the assorted opinions on GS:
- Some felt that Vincent should have been selected for Worlds.
- Some believed that Vincent was ineligible for selection for Worlds because he did not yet have the senior TES minimums. Whether or not USFS really had such a rule was a matter of strong disagreement.
- Some on GS believed that Jason justifiably was selected on the basis of his body of work, and that USFS still would have selected Jason even if Vincent already had the senior TES minimums.​

Later outcomes that reinforced certain opinions:
- USFS did send Vincent to Bavarian Open in February, where he had no problem earning the senior TES minimums. (And he won the gold.) So if Vincent had been selected for Worlds, he would have had the senior minimums in time.
- Vincent won Junior Worlds, which for some became "proof" of sorts that USFS should not have selected him for Worlds.
- At 2017 Worlds, Nathan and Jason together did earn three spots for 2018 OWG and for 2018 Worlds, which for some became "proof" of sorts that Jason was the only "correct" choice.​

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Please note:
The full story re Vincent is more complicated than karne's brief summary/opinion.
It was not a black-and-white situation.​

And injury was part of the controversy.

As karne mentioned, 2016-17 was the first season that the ISU rule went into effect that only scores from senior internationals would count toward reaching senior TES minimums.
Because of injury, Vincent Zhou had withdrawn after the senior SP at 2016 Golden Spin … which meant that going into 2017 U.S. Nats, he did not yet have the TES minimums for Worlds, although his junior international scores did easily exceed them.

For 2017 Worlds, the U.S. had only two slots for men. Vincent placed second at Nats, with a large point margin over Jason Brown in third.
As usual, USFS within hours announced its selections for Worlds and Junior Worlds. And as usual, gave no explanation for its decisions.
USFS selected Jason for the second slot for Worlds, and named Vincent as first alternate for Worlds.
USFS selected Vincent for Junior Worlds.
(In 2016, USFS had selected Nathan both for Worlds and Junior Worlds, so selecting Vincent for both would not have been unprecedented.)
Lots of discussion ensued on GS. Things got quite heated.

Among the assorted opinions on GS:
- Some felt that Vincent should have been selected for Worlds.
- Some believed that Vincent was ineligible for selection for Worlds because he did not yet have the senior TES minimums. Whether or not USFS really had such a rule was a matter of strong disagreement.
- Some on GS believed that Jason justifiably was selected on the basis of his body of work, and that USFS still would have selected Jason even if Vincent already had the senior TES minimums.​

Later outcomes that reinforced certain opinions:
- USFS did send Vincent to Bavarian Open in February, where he had no problem earning the senior TES minimums. (And he won the gold.) So if Vincent had been selected for Worlds, he would have had the senior minimums in time.
- Vincent won Junior Worlds, which for some became "proof" of sorts that USFS should not have selected him for Worlds.
- At 2017 Worlds, Nathan and Jason together did earn three spots for 2018 OWG and for 2018 Worlds, which for some became "proof" of sorts that Jason was the only "correct" choice.​

Thank you for the more detailed explanation. As ever, it was highly informative. :bow:

You know, it just shows that making selections for the Junior and Senior World Championships straight after Nationals is too soon. It is better to wait until after the EYOF for Juniors, and after Europeans / Four Continents for Seniors. Then the Feds can get a better picture of who would be the best to send. Plus, it would give skaters that are in the position that Vincent was in (i.e. prevented from competing internationally in the autumn through injury) the chance to get the minimum TES's they require.

Can I just ask another question based on what you said in your reply?

You pointed out that Nathan was selected for both Junior and Senior Worlds in 2016. I thought that there was a rule saying that you could not compete at both World Championships in the same season. Am I imagining things, or was that a rule that was brought in afterwards? Or was it a proposal that didn't get approved?

As it turned out, Nathan competed at neither because of injury. So, this is just a hypothetical question.

Thank you again for the reply. :thank:

CaroLiza_fan

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Thank you for the more detailed explanation. As ever, it was highly informative. :bow:

You know, it just shows that making selections for the Junior and Senior World Championships straight after Nationals is too early. It is better to wait until after the EYOF for Juniors, and after Europeans / Four Nationals for Seniors. Then the Feds can get a better picture of who would be the best to send. Plus, it would give skaters that are in the position that Vincent was in (i.e. prevented from competing internationally in the autumn through injury) the chance to get the minimum TES's they require.

Can I just ask another question based on what you said in your reply?

You pointed out that Nathan was selected for both Junior and Senior Worlds in 2016. I thought that there was a rule saying that you could not compete at both World Championships in the same season. Am I imagining things, or was that a rule that was brought in afterwards? Or was it a proposal that didn't get approved?

As it turned out, Nathan competed at neither because of injury. So, this is just a hypothetical question.

Thank you again for the reply. :thank:

CaroLiza_fan

First, I must hasten to add that at 2017 Nats, Jason was coming back from injury.
Which led some to believe that he undoubtedly would improve by Worlds.
Another complicating factor in all the discussion.
(Sorry that I forgot to mention it earlier. :hopelessness:)

As for your question:

The ISU definitely has a rule that competing in JGP and GP in the same season is not allowed.

I am not aware of any rule (old or new) against competing in Junior Worlds and Worlds in the same season? But don't feel 100.00% sure.
And sorry that I do not remember one way or the other as to whether it was a proposal.

FWIW, Nam Nguyen competed at both Junior Worlds and Worlds in 2014. (Yikes, where did the time go? :eek: Doesn't feel like five years ago.)​

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
Unless it's new this season, I don't think there can be such a rule. Stanislava Konstantinova competed at both last season.

DesertSky

Spectator
My almost 8 year old child has been in private lessons for over a year (maybe FS 4). I never know that she is going to be working on and there does not seem to be any consistency from week to week. She started private lessons after she passed FS 1. When I asked her coach what level she was - she did not know and said she was working on elements from 4, 5 and 6.

Should I expect the coach to discuss a training plan or tell me what she should be practicing? I am unclear about what level of communication I should get from her private coach. Should I pay for time to discuss what she is working on? I am confused on what is appropriate or the norm.