Emily Hughes - What Do You Think? | Page 8 | Golden Skate

Emily Hughes - What Do You Think?

mkdream

Rinkside
I love Emily, people always talk about Kimmie and Emily is usually an afterthought. She proved at Nationals that she isn't just Sarah's sister anymore. She's a genuine threat. I can't wait for her to get her first victory Kimmie. I always believed Emily!

R.D.

Record Breaker
Em an afterthought? Certainly not on this forum! There's a 100+ post thread dedicated to her! She gets much negative as well as positive attention, too.

eta: just realized this is the thread :rofl:

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I love Emily, people always talk about Kimmie and Emily is usually an afterthought. She proved at Nationals that she isn't just Sarah's sister anymore. She's a genuine threat. I can't wait for her to get her first victory Kimmie. I always believed Emily!

Well, since she says she's going to college next year, if Emily is going to beat Kimmie, she'll have to do it at Worlds. I don't see that happening.unless Kimmie has a total meltdown, and she is known for her steady competition nerves.

Emily's best chance to beat Kimmie was at 4CC, where Emily was leading going into the FS. It was Emily who got flustered and left out her combos, while Kimmie gave her best FS performance of the year so far.

Someone should start a thread on a listing of SP skaters and LP skaters. Among my list I would have Sasha who actually got me thinking about this. She was an exceptional SP skater to whatever she skated to. And Emily, has some of that in the form of 'I'm gonna win this' in the SP but somehow loses it in the LP
Maybe in Tokyo she will have both. Let's hope.

Joe

Julia

Rinkside
It took me a while to warm up to Emily when she first appeared on the scene. I was a huge fan of Sarah and just could not imagine another I guess.:laugh:
I think the British Eurosport guys finally talked me into it with exclamations like this...
"There's the flip - that was a corker!"
"OH YES!! It's getting better and better!"
"Fantastic performance! She kept her cool!"
"She is such a fine competitor. Well done!"
"Look at her determination and focus!"
"Fantastic! really enjoyed it, she enjoyed it, the crowd enjoyed it..."
Go Em! :rock:

A while back we were talking about Mao -
Its not a one-handed Biellmann, its a Chinese Spiral.

Excuse my bumping an old post (and OT to boot) but Ant's response to my praise of Mao's one-handed Bielmann has been in the back of my mind and I happened to rewatch her Japanese Nationals LP yesterday. The Bielmann (not spiral) is at 2:25 and 4:20.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXq9DtzeV08

It's also at the very end of her SP:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3M-BcDN2NZ8&mode=related&search=

Not to be obsessive, but it's one of her signature moves, and very unforced and pretty indeed.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
can we stop talking about Emily? I'm tired of seeing this thread always on front page.

nope the minions of the 'Evil Emily Empire' plan to take over teh world, and we're starting with this thread on this board! :laugh:

antmanb

Record Breaker
can we stop talking about Emily? I'm tired of seeing this thread always on front page.

Like you often advise others - why don't you stop clicking in to the thread and posting in it if you are so affronted by it?

Ant

antmanb

Record Breaker
A while back we were talking about Mao -

Excuse my bumping an old post (and OT to boot) but Ant's response to my praise of Mao's one-handed Bielmann has been in the back of my mind and I happened to rewatch her Japanese Nationals LP yesterday. The Bielmann (not spiral) is at 2:25 and 4:20.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXq9DtzeV08

It's also at the very end of her SP:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3M-BcDN2NZ8&mode=related&search=

Not to be obsessive, but it's one of her signature moves, and very unforced and pretty indeed.

I'm pretty sure i'm being mis-quoted...well out of context. I didn't think that reply was to you spun silver it was to a poster cmoplaining that Mao's "one-handed Biellmann Spiral" was so bad that she tried to take away attenti0n frmo it by fluttering one hand to distract the judges (i'm paraphrasing). My response was that the one handed spiral being discussed is (i'm pretty sure) called a chinese spiral.

For the record i like both the chinese sprial she does and the Biellmann spin she does.

Ant

There is a picture of Yuna on p.38 of the latest IFS magazine showing her doing a one handed bielman spiral in the correct attitude position.

The correct position of an attitude is when the free knee is paralel to the ice and not verticle as so many skaters do. Yuna's is so much more beautiful with that position. It's unique and I would not call it a Bielman.

It's a catch foot one handed attitude spiral not unlike Butryskaya. Check it out.

Joe

I'm pretty sure i'm being mis-quoted...well out of context. I didn't think that reply was to you spun silver it was to a poster cmoplaining that Mao's "one-handed Biellmann Spiral" was so bad that she tried to take away attenti0n frmo it by fluttering one hand to distract the judges (i'm paraphrasing). My response was that the one handed spiral being discussed is (i'm pretty sure) called a chinese spiral.
OK, I see the confusion, sorry. I was talking about her spin - the other poster did not specify spin or spiral but said Mao's B was cheated with a hand-flutter for distraction - I asked why and attached a pic of the spiral. You replied to the other poster that it wasn't a B but a spiral (I guess since we don't see hand-flutters in spins).

But I still want to know why Mao's Biellmann (spin) - or her Chinese spiral, for that matter - might be considered cheated!

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
But I still want to know why Mao's Biellmann (spin) - or her Chinese spiral, for that matter - might be considered cheated!
Yah, good question. Instead of the "I don't like" being the comment associated with the "cheating." What are the facts, OTHER than dislike?????

It sounds like some are just so "personally nitpicky" it is borderline pertinacious attitude, that can drive potential fans away - IOW public perception of "snobbish type of opinions" - not rational. This maybe equally as nitpicky of me, but why people can't just say something like "a better one for me comes from...." Instead it is the comments of "That is not a Beliemann at all, that is not what it is 'spose to be or look like, if they can't do it right they ...blaa blaa....
I have to think for a moment that the coaches...."Skaters team" know better then most posters, and for anyone to say it "isn't" when Judges and "teams" are putting them in as such.....

IOW, if Moa is getting points and the "team" writes it down, then it is regardless of pertinaciously opinionated comments of criticism. A bad beliemann is beliemann, a good beliemann is a beliemann. Some look better to some, not if "it isn't perfectly the way I want to see it it is not one":sheesh:

Last edited:

antmanb

Record Breaker
OK, I see the confusion, sorry. I was talking about her spin - the other poster did not specify spin or spiral but said Mao's B was cheated with a hand-flutter for distraction - I asked why and attached a pic of the spiral. You replied to the other poster that it wasn't a B but a spiral (I guess since we don't see hand-flutters in spins).

I have no idea because i think both are done very well by her. Not sure exactly one could ever "cheat" that. Fail to get into position maybe but cheat?

Ant

antmanb

Record Breaker
It sounds like some are just so "personally nitpicky" it is borderline pertinacious attitude, that can drive potential fans away - IOW public perception of "snobbish type of opinions" - not rational. This maybe equally as nitpicky of me, but why people can't just say something like "a better one for me comes from...." Instead it is the comments of "That is not a Beliemann at all, that is not what it is 'spose to be or look like, if they can't do it right they ...blaa blaa....

I'm struggling to think of many at the elite level but at my rink there are many girls attepting Biellmann spins that really could never be classed as Biellmanns becaues of the position - foot being barely as high as the head, let alone above it!

Ant

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
In comparing apples to oranges, I prefer Emily over Kimmie (Let's hope KM drops the "Kimmie" soon for a much more grown up Kim); anyway, not to digress from the topic at hand - although Kim stays up on her feet throughout the program and can land the difficult jump combos, I find Emily much more artistic and is able to reach over the boards and engage the audience with her skating as Barb Underhill pointed out at the 4 Continents. Barb says "Kimmie has not learned that yet." I think Emily is still a little rought around the edges but I like her style and I find her a little more musical than Kim. I also feel Emily does the best spiral - outside of Sasha - for the present US ladies in the competitive field. As Barb also pointed out Emily has finally come into her own and is no longer compared to her sister Sarah. Go Emily!

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I have a friend who's 26 this year and she still goes by Kimmie, she is a nurse, a volunteer firefighter, and runs part of the childrens program at her church among many other things... I don't think Kimmie M. needs to change her name to project maturity.