2020-21 US Women's Figure Skating | Page 15 | Golden Skate

2020-21 US Women's Figure Skating

natsulian

Final Flight
It's very difficult to pronounce Tamnhi Huynh when the accents have been removed. However, the last name Huynh is a popular Vietnamese surname and it's pronounced like Nguyen but with an H sound at the beginning. Usually, there is an accent on the y which correlates with a higher tone. As for the name Tamnhi, my best guess would be Tam-knee or something along those lines. The "t" is not hard but not too soft either. All in all, it's impossible to pronounce the name correctly because the Vietnamese language is based on accents and sounds. Thus, with the accents removed, it's very much colloquialized to fit an American pronunciation rather than how it's intended. It would be like trying to pronounce Korean words based on their Romanization; almost there, but not quite.

CellarDweller

Ice Time
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I know that most of the excitement is around Alysa, Bradie and Mariah, but has there been any news about Starr?

katymay

Medalist
I know that most of the excitement is around Alysa, Bradie and Mariah, but has there been any news about Starr?
Her programs are posted at the Fan Site for the Convoluted Virtual International Selection Pool. She landed a nice 3F, but the rest was so-so. Her FS is to some sort of slow Weepy Ballad (I'm not in the loop for pop music)

oly2018

Final Flight
Starr looked better than she normally does in the early season, but things are definitely still a work in progress. She may need an outside technician to help with the jumps.

I agree that the long music is too weepy. I actually like the short because I liked Birds or Prey, but I think they should play around with different music options for Starr. The pop ballads are making all of her programs blur for me.

natsulian

Final Flight

New article on Isabeau Levito.

Favorite quote:
"I don't really always focus on the win. Usually I focus on doing my best, and performing, and just kind of marking off my little goals, what I want to do to get better. The improvement I made in practice, I want to show it off in the competition."

Last edited:

bubblecherry

Final Flight
Love watching Mia and Isabeau :love: Hopefully there will be a JGP next year so we can see them compete along side eachother. They have complete opposite strengths and weaknesses. Isabeau has beautiful lines, thoughtful programs and interpretation, lovely musicality. Meanwhile, Mia has solid jumps, is quite fast, and advanced in the technical side of things. Still, they’re both fierce competitors and are consistent with their triples despite being so young. Very exciting stuff.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Especially exciting that Kate Wang got Skate America! Audrey Shin too.

For easy reference for this thread, copying the complete Skate America list here:

Starr Andrews, Mariah Bell, Karen Chen, Gracie Gold, Amber Glenn, Isabelle Inthisone*, Gabriella Izzo*, Pooja Kalyan*, Audrey Shin*, Bradie Tennell, Kate Wang*

plus Ashley Lin representing China.

* = GP debut

Full ISU chart:

Last edited:

natsulian

Final Flight
Currently, we do not know of any alternates.

Although it is sad to not see Ting and Hanna in the Grand Prix Series, I would much rather have them be 100% recovered than to compete and risk further injury. Both Ting and Hanna have been skating since June/July (based on there Instagram) and Ting only started jumping again a few months ago. Fingers crossed that we will see both of them during on October 6th.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Are there alternates? Because some of those listed might withdraw.

From the General Announcement for this season's GP series:

6.5 Replacements
An Organizing Grand Prix Member should, if possible, replace any Skater/Couple who withdraws from the event up to fourteen (14) days prior to the Team Leaders Meeting for that event.
An Alternate List would be available for each Grand Prix event considering the Covid-19 restrictions and the concept of “domestically” run Grand Prix events.

Oct 22 is the date of the Skate America team leaders meeting.

Fourteen days before Oct 22 already is very close.

In any case, my best wishes to Ting Cui and to Hanna Harrell.

Last edited:

bubblecherry

Final Flight
Isabeau improved over 10 points between both of the ISPs. She won with a total of 161+. She scored 54 in the SP, second to Tamhni with 56, and she scored 107 in the free. There weren’t obvious URs like at the first ISP, and her spins seem to be improving (still room to improve, though!) Her 2A this season is looking really nice. She’s so consistent! I haven’t seen her fall on an element since she first introduced the 3Lz into her programs over a year ago.

Makemi

Rinkside
Just saw the GP assignments! Thrilled for Gracie! I hope she can go out and have two performances that she can be proud of.

Also excited for Pooja, Audrey, and Gabbie. This such a great opportunity for them.

As for Isabelle and Kate, I'm happy to see them here but a little confused. Does that mean they are skating senior this year (especially since I think Kate entered the junior ISP challenge)? Or does this not count because it's a kind of a non-season? Or is it just compensation because there's no JGP?

I'm also gutted not to see Ting and Hanna. I thought maybe they just weren't ready for the first go around of the ISP but would be ready for Skate America. These two really captured my heart last year. Wishing them well in their recovery/training and fingers crossed we'll get to see them later this season.

Makemi

Rinkside
Also there's a new article about Bradie by Lynn Rutherford (posted Oct 1):
https://www.teamusa.org/News/2020/O...opes-Mile-High-Move-Pays-Off-With-Triple-Axel

Much as I have my reservations about Tom Z, it seems they're at least being smart about training the 3A (specifically not working on it every day or every session because of injury) and not rushing to put it into programs. Her performance in the ISP was a bit rough (though expected) so hoping she can have some of those kinks worked out by Skate America.