5. Shoya Ichihashi Kansai University 48.51 Q
6. Sumi Moriguchi Kinoshita Academy 47.09 Q
7. Takeya Tsujimura Doshisha University 45.68 Q
8. Shinichi Yamada Kwansei Gakuin University 44.05 Q
9. Yuji Maekawa Osaka City University FSC 35.24 Q

Last edited:

liv

Record Breaker
Nice 3A by Wakaba. She has the height and rotation, so other than the turn on the end, the jump is pretty much ready.

Lovely to see Mai. She's had such a rough year, and still looks very frail (I think she looks stronger than she did a few months ago) but I thought that was pretty good considering everything.

Nice try on the 4S by Rika too.

nussnacker

one and only
Record Breaker
This reminds me there was one event (Japan Open 2018 I think) where Kaori got edge calls on her flips and no call on the lutz. Judging at its absolute best.
Well... now we can’t say judges don’t have a sense of humor. ;)

haribobo

On the Ice
Kanto Regionals Results

Senior Men SP
1. Yuma Kagiyama Seisa Kokusai Yokohama 98.46 Q
2. Shun Sato Fuji Corporation 77.90 Q

Senior Ladies SP
1. Shiika Yoshioka Uekusa Gakuen University High School 54.92 Q
2. Masuda Mimu Hakuho Girls' High School 46.03 Q
3. Mone Kamishiraishi Yamanashi Gakuin University 45.06 Q
4. Rin Fujimoto Yamanashi Gakuin University 43.69 Q
5. Tamari Suzuki Nippon Sport Science University 43.35 Q
6. Sato Sana Utsunomiya Figure C 36.06 Q
7. Ho Tanaka, Daito Bunka University 33.73 Q
8. Matsubara Akane Saitama Ice Arena FC 33.27 Q
9. Airi Yamazaki Saitama Sakae High School 32.29 Q
10. Ayabe Hanane Daito Bunka University 30.73 Q
11. Kim Shi Mio Summer Daito Bunka University 27.36 Q
12. Ai Shimizu Nippon Sport Science University 26.70 Q

tosca

On the Ice
I was very happy to see Mai back on the ice - she seemed so happy. I hope that she continues her recovery and gains her strength back. I would hate to comment on her physical appearance especially not knowing all the details surrounding her illness.

Kaori looks soooooo good. I am really shocked - she generally is not in her best form early on in the season. I think the rough go last season really renewed her.

As for the ladies in Japan Open - excited to see Wakaba land her triple axel. Mako also looks much better than last season but overall the ladies seemed... not their best.

nussnacker

one and only
Record Breaker
She went from outside edge and change it to inside, so i wasn't sure it was a 3F or 3Lze in a real time. I would give her 3F! for example. On a replay it is more clear it was a flip tho.
Kao has Evgenia-style flip and flutz.

Baron Vladimir

Record Breaker
This reminds me there was one event (Japan Open 2018 I think) where Kaori got edge calls on her flips and no call on the lutz. Judging at its absolute best.
To be fair, I saw it as a not very clear flip this time too, so :devil: Probably she is working on her Lutz edge and this thing happens. For example, one skater recently got a sign for unclear edge both on Flip and Lutz.

Last edited:

Baron Vladimir

Record Breaker
Why? She clearly took off the inside edge.

No, this is pretty standard technique, even if not textbook perfect. We've seen it from Midori Ito and Mao Asada on the 3F, just for example.
It depends which frame you are looking at - beginning of 1.32 or end of 1.32. For me personally, it wasn't that clear in a real time, from the point of view camera was filming and from that only one frame my eyes were able to catch :biggrin: I also watched Mao's 3F collection and most of the time she snapped from flat edge toward inside which is fine, but you can see on that video her second 3F started more from the outside edge changing to inside, like Kaori this time (or at the JO 2018 i assume). I wouldn't call that a standard technique, actually that may be the reason both had problems with their Lutz jump, because that is how Lutz suppose to start. For example, Rika's 3F technique is a 'standard' one.

Last edited:

zounger

Medalist
Congrats too Wakaba for landing 3A. Big jump fully rotated. Step out but ok doesn't matter much the potential is there.

readernick

Medalist
It depends which frame you are looking at - beginning of 1.32 or end of 1.32. For me personally, it wasn't that clear in a real time, from the point of view camera was filming and from that only one frame my eyes were able to catch :biggrin: I also watched Mao's 3F collection and most of the time she snapped from flat edge toward inside which is fine, but you can see on that video her second 3F started more from the outside edge changing to inside, like Kaori this time (or at the JO 2018 i assume). I wouldn't call that a standard technique, actually that may be the reason both had problems with their Lutz jump, because that is how Lutz suppose to start. For example, Rika's 3F technique is a 'standard' one.
Rika's technique is essentially standard on everything. However, I don't think we should start to compare other skaters to her, because your favorites wouldn't look good in technical comparison either 😉

Edge calls should be determined based on the position of edge at take-off, not the position of the edge during the set up of the jump. When Kaori picks in and the moment she gets into the air, the edge of her 3F is inside, so it is correct.

readernick

Medalist
As for the ladies in Japan Open - excited to see Wakaba land her triple axel. Mako also looks much better than last season but overall the ladies seemed... not their best.
I actually disagree. The Japanese ladies picked for the Japan Open have never been known for their consistency. For early in the season, considering the time off the ice and considering the skaters picked, I think they all looked pretty good.

I am so happy Mako has new programs. I really did not enjoy her programs from the last two seasons, but this long program suits her well. She completed all her combos, she just lost concentration and made a few silly mistakes. Wakaba is also looking great, just popped some jumps in typical Wakaba fashion. Yuhana has the best LP. She is not known for her consistency, but I think she looks better than she did early last year. The only skater who actually worried me was Tomoe. She can't rotate the 3T on her 3Lz+3T combo. I think she should do 3Lz 2T 2Lo, and add the 3T on to a less powerful jump. Her 3Lz is too big for her to control well and prepare for the 3T. On the whole, the Japanese ladies look much better than they did last year. I think Japan is soon going to have three ladies consistently landing 3As. Rika( obviously), Wakaba and Mana Kawabe.

Last edited:

Joekaz

On the Ice
I actually disagree. The Japanese ladies picked for the Japan Open have never been known for their consistency. For early in the season, considering the time off the ice and considering the skaters picked, I think they all looked pretty good.

I am so happy Mako has new programs. I really did not enjoy her programs from the last two seasons, but this long program suits her well. She completed all her combos, she just lost concentration and made a few silly mistakes. Wakaba is also looking great, just popped some jumps in typical Wakaba fashion. Yuhana has the best LP. She is not known for her consistency, but I think she looks better than she did early last year. The only skater who actually worried me was Tomoe. She can't rotate the 3T on her 3Lz+3T combo. I think she should do 3Lz 2T 2Lo, and add the 3T on to a less powerful jump. Her 3Lz is too big for her to control well and prepare for the 3T. On the whole, the Japanese ladies look much best than they did last year. I think Japan is soon going to have three ladies consistently landing 3As. Rika( obviously), Wakaba and Mana Kawabe.
Do you think that Kaori has given up on the quad attempts and will just concentrate on maximizing her programs with what she can do? If her goal is to go back to the Olympics, but not necessarily podium there, I think giving up the quad attempts is wise. Until Wakaba gets consistent with her 3A in competition and incorporates them in both programs, Kaori going clean would still have a strong shot at second place behind Rika at Nationals. She looks very good right now.

readernick

Medalist
Do you think that Kaori has given up on the quad attempts and will just concentrate on maximizing her programs with what she can do? If her goal is to go back to the Olympics, but not necessarily podium there, I think giving up the quad attempts is wise. Until Wakaba gets consistent with her 3A in competition and incorporates them in both programs, Kaori going clean would still have a strong shot at second place behind Rika at Nationals. She looks very good right now.
She does. However, I do think she should continue to practice the 4T but only put it in her program if she manages to rotate it on a frequent basis . The reason is that both Wakaba and Mana Kawabe could score higher with clean programs. They are both landing 3As now. Mana tends to Ur half her attempts, but she is very very close. Wakaba doesn't UR, and she is very close to landing it well. Kaori can still win because she has PCS and GOE advantage. But, if Wakaba and Mana can become consistent, they have the SS and (certainly Wakaba anyway) the performance ability to get high PCS.

Skatesocs

Final Flight
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9LhBHHsZP4 I really wish Sakomoto'll get a program like Amelie for the Olympic season again. She did a good job with Piano, and this Matrix program is exciting, but I think her ability lies in letting her charming personality speak for itself. It would be great if she can execute a program like Amelie (she never did it too well that season), and of course if she can do it with even better choreography and a couple of 3As thrown in that will be awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6mEZV6k4Hw Mihara's LP is expectedly strong choreo from Lori to this type of music.

Last edited:

zounger

Medalist
Congrats to Rika for her 4S too. Nice jump, at least it looks. Now she needs to stabilize it and bring it to competitions.

cohkaix

FS data keeper
Medalist
Another 'surprise' from the regional competition (Kinki Blog):
The winner of ladies' NvA, Mao Shimada, attempted the 3A jump at the very beginning of her program. The jump was down-graded in the protocol. Shimada originally was from Tokyo, but now she trains in Kansai (the Kinoshita Academy)