figureskatingandrainbows

As Kao Miura once said, スケートって難しい
Record Breaker
Country
Olympic
National Team
As of JSF Strengthening Athletes page updated in July
Special
Kaori Sakamoto (ISU, JSF, GS thread, seeded)
Mai Mihara (ISU, JSF, GS thread, seeded)
Mao Shimada* (ISU, JSF, GS thread, seeded)
Mone Chiba (ISU, JSF, GS thread)
Rinka Watanabe (ISU, JSF, GS thread)
Hana Yoshida (ISU, JSF, GS thread)
Ami Nakai* (ISU, JSF, GS thread)
A
Ikura Kushida* (ISU, JSF)
Yuna Aoki (ISU, JSF)
Mana Kawabe (ISU, JSF, GS thread)
Rion Sumiyoshi (ISU, JSF, GS thread)
Rika Kihira (ISU, JSF, GS thread)
Wakaba Higuchi (ISU, JSF, GS thread)
Rino Matsuike (ISU, JSF, GS thread)
B
Ayumi Shibayama* (ISU, JSF, GS thread)
Yurina Okuno* (ISU, JSF)
Yo Takagi* (ISU, JSF)
Haruna Murakami* (ISU, JSF, GS thread)
Rena Uezono* (ISU, JSF, GS thread)
Other Skaters
Marin Honda (ISU, JSF, GS thread)

*denotes likely junior
--Seeded skaters are the top 3 finishers at Nationals. They automatically qualify for the next years' Nationals. Non-seeded skaters must compete at Regional and Sectional Championships in order to qualify, but may be exempted if an international competition overlaps with

Notable Jumps
Landed 3A
Rika Kihira
Wakaba Higuchi
Mana Kawabe
Ami Nakai
Hana Yoshida
Mao Shimada
Rinka Watanabe
Landed Quad
Rika Kihira*
Mao Shimada
Rion Sumiyoshi

*domestic / smaller international competition

Last edited:

figureskatingandrainbows

As Kao Miura once said, スケートって難しい
Record Breaker
Country
Olympic
GP Assignments

Skate America (October 20-22, Allen, TX, USA)
Mone Chiba
Mana Kawabe
Hana Yoshida
Skate Canada International (October 27-29, Vancouver, BC, CAN)
Rino Matsuike*
Kaori Sakamoto
Rinka Watanabe
Grand Prix de France (November 3-5, Angers, FRA)
Mone Chiba
Wakaba Higuchi
Rion Sumiyoshi
Cup of China (November 10-12, Chongqing, CHN)
Mai Mihara
Rinka Watanabe
Hana Yoshida
Grand Prix Espoo (November 17-19, Espoo, FIN)
Mana Kawabe
Kaori Sakamoto
Rion Sumiyoshi
NHK Trophy (November 24-26, Sapporo, JPN)
Wakaba Higuchi
Mai Mihara
Yuna Aoki* (JPN)

*denotes only one spot

Last edited:

yesterday

Record Breaker
Rika doing Canada means that she's still living there for training I guess?
And that there's some good progress made with the foot 🤞

Who would be eligible for the TBD at NHK here?

rabidline

Final Flight
Who would be eligible for the TBD at NHK here?
Going from National placements:
- Yuna Aoki
- Rika Kihira (for her 2nd spot)
- Rino Matsuike
- Saki Miyake
- Mako Yamashita

I think with Yuna, Saki and Mako my concern is if their lack of World Standing points will affect the selection. So my guess is Rino will get it or Rika, if her ankle is better (she just posted an Insta Story of an xray result where the fatigue fracture is still there).

There should be a closed selection event where the eligible skaters compete this July, and we'll know who will get the TBD spot.

cohkaix

FS data keeper
Medalist
Wakaba, Rion, and Yuna Aoki will be competing July 1-2 at the Aqua Cup (results page not up yet) and Mana, Rino, Ikura Kushida, and Mako Yamashita at the Minato Acres Cup Jun. 30-Jul. 2 (results here).
@figureskatingandrainbows Thanks for starting up the new thread and info about the upcoming competitions. The Aqua Cup's result page is not up yet, but there's s list for skating order (here). Aqua Cup's starting order is drawing some attention on Twitter earlier, as the Jr. woman's skater from Korea, Jia Shin, is listed in the Jr. women's entry list.

And yes, Aqua Cup is open to the public this year. So it will be in overlap with Dreams on Ice (Jun 30-Jul 2)

rabidline

Final Flight
Aqua Cup's starting order is drawing some attention on Twitter earlier, as the Jr. woman's skater from Korea, Jia Shin, is listed in the Jr. women's entry list.

And yes, Aqua Cup is open to the public this year. So it will be in overlap with Dreams on Ice (Jun 30-Jul 2)
!!!!!!!!!! Interesting. I know Jia worked with Akiko Suzuki during off-season, so I wondered if she made some connections in Japan.

Definitely excited for this weekend since between Aqua Cup, Minato Aquls Cup and Dreams on Ice we should be getting a lot of previews on the competitive programs this season from the Japanese skaters! (and Jia too apparently lol).

rabidline

Final Flight
Rika doing Canada means that she's still living there for training I guess?
And that there's some good progress made with the foot 🤞
Yeah I have a bit of sad news about this... apparently Rika's injury got worse back at Japanese Nationals. She shared this today on her Instagram Story... the line of the fatigue fracture is still there per 27 June 😞

rikainjury.png

RafaelAstro

Final Flight
Last season I predicted 4 japanese ladies at the grand prix final and 3 actually made it, now that we have Hana Yoshida and Mone Chiba turning senior, Wakaba Higuchi returning to competition with better condition, and Mana Kawabe planning to add the triple axel again, I'm very confident we will see even better results this season and now I predict 4-5 japanese ladies, maybe I'm little to bullish but considering japan has all the spots for ladies taken this year and many of them have ultra-c elements it's very possible they just need consistency. Sad news for Rika I don't know if we could expect better results for her this season, she should have skipped last season as Wakaba, I think another lady will take the spot for nhk trophy

rabidline

Final Flight
Jia now have a joint coaching situation with Park Bit-na and Kensuke Nakaniwa of MF Academy.
I just read her interview 👀 Very surprising but will be interesting to follow, that also explains her Aqua cup entry!

Last edited:

RatedPG

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Last season I predicted 4 japanese ladies at the grand prix final and 3 actually made it, now that we have Hana Yoshida and Mone Chiba turning senior, Wakaba Higuchi returning to competition with better condition, and Mana Kawabe planning to add the triple axel again, I'm very confident we will see even better results this season and now I predict 4-5 japanese ladies, maybe I'm little to bullish but considering japan has all the spots for ladies taken this year and many of them have ultra-c elements it's very possible they just need consistency. Sad news for Rika I don't know if we could expect better results for her this season, she should have skipped last season as Wakaba, I think another lady will take the spot for nhk trophy
I love the Japanese Ladies. However, Haein, C.Kim, Leona and Isabeau will be tough to beat. I’d be happy to see 3 of them at the GP finals ☺️

cohkaix

FS data keeper
Medalist
DOI new programs (to be updated):

Mao Shimada SP: 'Americano' (choreography by K. Weaver)
Ami Nagai SP: 'Baby, God bless you' (yes, previously skated by Rika, choreography by D. Wilson)
Rena Uezono SP: 'Twilight'
Mone Chiba SP: 'Dark Eyes'

Mai Mihara SP: 'To Love You More' by Céline Dion (choreography by J. Buttle)
Rinka Watanabe SP: Avatar: The Way of Water
**Note: Kaori is not skating on Friday, as she's participating in an Olympic concert.

Last edited:

rabidline

Final Flight
Rinka's SP is choreographed by Kenji Miyamoto, based on this interview:

cohkaix

FS data keeper
Medalist
Any stream available?
So far, no information re. the live streaming. The competition is open to public (limited). And I believe there will be news on Wakaba's first outing for the season later on.