2023-24 Japanese Women's Figure Skating | Page 9 | Golden Skate

2023-24 Japanese Women's Figure Skating

Joekaz

On the Ice
i am so elated to see Wakaba back, she was just a breath of fresh air with all that power she has. i hope she continues to make strong comeback and stay healthy, i missed her so much!
She needs to do well at Nationals. From the way she has been getting scored it looks like JSF wants to bury her before the Olympics gets here. She better not give them an excuse to screw her over or she might not get 2 GPs next year. I don't trust JSF with Wakaba.

Dreamer57

Record Breaker
Top 8 at Junior Nationals
  1. Mao Shimada
  2. Ikura Shida
  3. Rena Uezono
  4. Yo Takagi
  5. Ayumi Shibiyama
  6. Haruna Murakami
  7. Riria Kono (not age-eligible for senior Exemptions (due to top 3 at last season’s Nationals): Sakamoto, Mihara

Exemptions from Sectionals due to timing of GP assignment: Yoshida, Chiba, Kawabe, Matsuike, Sumiyoshi, Watanabe, Higuchi

That’s 28. The second group of exemptions still had to do well at regionals. Kono is a novice skater and doesn’t qualify for Nationals due to her age. They could have just moved down to the next age eligible skater, but they didn’t. I agree with this. It’s top 8, not top 8 age-eligible skaters. This prevents a situation where a skater places 10th at Junior Nationals yet still gets to go.
I am devastated for Ami! 😢
I guess JGPF is the only comp we might see her next...it's not nice to see a wonderful skater struggling with injury 🥺

I am pretty concerned for Wakaba in terms of scoring on home ice but glad to see she has the motivation to keep fighting

Joekaz

On the Ice
I am devastated for Ami! 😢
I guess JGPF is the only comp we might see her next...it's not nice to see a wonderful skater struggling with injury 🥺

I am pretty concerned for Wakaba in terms of scoring on home ice but glad to see she has the motivation to keep fighting
I think Wakaba is used to the scoring in Japan by now or she would have retired along time ago. She knew she skated pretty well in the LP despite the score. The JSF has never supported her from juniors on. She simply can't have anything close to borderline or it will be called.

cohkaix

FS data keeper
Medalist
Exemptions (due to top 3 at last season’s Nationals): Sakamoto, Mihara
Actually, according to this document by JSF: https://www.skatingjapan.or.jp/common/img/info/qualifying_2023_rev3.pdf
Mao Shimada has been listed as a seed skater for Sr. women as well, given her podium placement from the last Nationals, from the very beginning.

In this case, plus having to skip Riria Kono (only at NvA level), the next two from Jr. Nationals could have been invited to make the entry completed as 30. In other words, Mayoko Oka and Ami Nakai could have been invited. Yet JSF didn't provide any explanation as for why they keep only 6 and Shimada to advance to Nationals (remember that last season they changed it to 8 entries from Jr. Nationals to Nationals).

YuBluByMe

May Rika spin her hair into GOLD….in 2026.
Final Flight
Actually, according to this document by JSF: https://www.skatingjapan.or.jp/common/img/info/qualifying_2023_rev3.pdf
Mao Shimada has been listed as a seed skater for Sr. women as well, given her podium placement from the last Nationals, from the very beginning.

In this case, plus having to skip Riria Kono (only at NvA level), the next two from Jr. Nationals could have been invited to make the entry completed as 30.
How so? Am I missing something? Because Shimada being seeded as a Senior too doesn’t change the bottom line. It only means that there were 10 exemptions instead of nine and thus only 20 available spots instead of 21.

For Junior Nationals, it doesn’t change top 8 really means top 8. Since Shimada was already exempt, then the junior girls needed to place in the top 7. A novice skater placing in that range lowered the number to six. ….Which is why only six junior girls qualified. Top placements including exemptions, just like Sectionals.

I don’t think JSF needs to provide an explanation. I’m getting where they’re coming from unless there’s something I’m missing.

Edit: Oh, wait. I see. Is it eight entries for Junior Nationals or top 8? That does make a difference.

Last edited:

cohkaix

FS data keeper
Medalist
How so? Am I missing something? Because Shimada being seeded as a Senior too doesn’t change the bottom line. It only means that there were 10 exemptions instead of nine and thus only 20 available spots instead of 21.

For Junior Nationals, it doesn’t change top 8 really means top 8. Since Shimada was already exempt, then the junior girls needed to place in the top 7. A novice skater placing in that range lowered the number to six. ….Which is why only six junior girls qualified. Top placements including exemptions, just like Sectionals.

I don’t think JSF needs to provide an explanation. I’m getting where they’re coming from unless there’s something I’m missing.

Edit: Oh, wait. I see. Is it eight entries for Junior Nationals or top 8? That does make a difference.
I think it should be 8 entries.
Actually, a better explanation is this document by JSF: the counting of entry quota to regional/sectional/Nationals

JSF publishes the above document before the season starts, and it provides explanation for how they arrive at the numbers of entries for the domestic competitions. As can be seen in the formula below the table, the projected entries from Jr. nationals to Sr. nationals are 8 ('推薦8'). However, when it comes to the actual numbers of entries, in the Table it says recommended entries are 'several' (‘若干名'), without specifying the number. So I think JSF has been reserving that grey area and making adjustments according to the conditions of the skaters from that season.

BTW, the above quota calculation is for the current season. And the following ones are from the previous seasons:
2022 quota calculation
2021 quota calculation

It started from 2022 season that they changed to projected/recommended Jr entries from the original 6 entries to 8, as I can remember clearly the change happened last season.

brakes

On the Ice
Last time I had such strong "who's that girl?" moment was Marin Honda's 2015 JGP.
The speed, delightful abandon, perfect arms, the incredible lean towards the ice at hardest turns and exits - I love everything about Rena.
Jumps (but not amazing 3Lz) may need improvement, but artistic talent and beautiful presence are there in abundance.

Japan enchanting us with another phenom to steal our hearts again... :love2:

Last edited:

MiraiFan

Final Flight
Last time I had such strong "who's that girl?" moment was Marin Honda's 2015 JGP.
The speed, delightful abandon, perfect arms, the incredible lean towards the ice at hardest turns and exits - I love everything about Rena.
Jumps (but not amazing 3Lz) may need improvement, but artistic talent and beautiful presence is there in abundance.

Japan enchanting us with another phenom to steal our hearts again... :love2:

I too absolutely love her! I hope she stays healthy and has a great senior career.

YuBluByMe

Final Flight
Jumps (but not amazing 3Lz) may need improvement, but artistic talent and beautiful presence are there in abundance.
Yeah, I really like Uezono too. I followed the domestic competitions closely this year and I was sold the first time I saw her end pose in the SP. I knew she’ll do well on the JGP. In the competition thread, I said she can be a bit more expressive, but honestly she’s fine for the level she’s at right now. She does really well with quirky choreography - she sells it - and that’s going to make her stand out amongst the other Japanese ladies. The only other two Japanese gals that have the chops to get away with those programs are Yoshida and Rika.

At this point in time, I consider Uezono a medal contender for Junior Worlds, but she won’t be named to the team until after Nationals in a few weeks. So I hope she does well there.

gotoschool

Medalist
Kaori skates really well, but the advantageous scoring she has received now for years gets wearisome to me going back to Nationals against Rika Kihira in 2018. I mean Mao Shimada lands an exemplary quad toe and triple axel and though she has one popped jump ending up 10 points behind Kaori who has no quad or triple axel seems really deflated for Mao, and Hana Yoshida with superior tech content and a marvelous triple axel which is super risky and exciting to see with excellent and unusual artistry and expression still ends up 6 points behind Kaori and 9 points lower in PCS. Whatever, I mean Kaori could have still easily won even if the judges scored more accurately and had given Hana the winning freeskate I and so many others feel she deserved. What's the point in pushing the advantage for the favored skaters so far as the ISU always does whether Russians are skating or not? I think Hana was also scored too low compared to Leona Hendrix and should have gotten the silver.

Last edited:

Dreamer57

Record Breaker
The judges have often favoured Kaori, plus she is an Olympic medallist +2x world champion now. It's something I am used to seeing these days.
Hana usually does better in the free skate than short program. You make good points about the scoring, I feel like the junior singles scores are being limited somewhat.

Yeah, I really like Uezono too. I followed the domestic competitions closely this year and I was sold the first time I saw her end pose in the SP. I knew she’ll do well on the JGP. In the competition thread, I said she can be a bit more expressive, but honestly she’s fine for the level she’s at right now. She does really well with quirky choreography - she sells it - and that’s going to make her stand out amongst the other Japanese ladies. The only other two Japanese gals that have the chops to get away with those programs are Yoshida and Rika.

At this point in time, I consider Uezono a medal contender for Junior Worlds, but she won’t be named to the team until after Nationals in a few weeks. So I hope she does well there.
Ooh, nationals.
I really don't know what to expect there, maybe Mao on the podium again. Hana is put herself in a good position for senior worlds! The women's scores seem a lot closer to each other this season.

Joekaz

On the Ice
Kaori skates really well, but the advantageous scoring she has received now for years gets wearisome to me going back to Nationals against Rika Kihira in 2019. I mean Mai Shimada lands an exemplary quad toe and triple axel and though she has one popped jump ending up 10 points behind Kaori who has no quad or triple axel seems really deflated for Mai, and Hana Yoshida with superior tech content and a marvelous triple axel which is super risky and exciting to see with excellent and unusual artistry and expression still ends up 6 points behind Kaori and 9 points lower in PCS. Whatever, I mean Kaori could have still easily won even if the judges scored more accurately and had given Hana the winning freeskate I and so many others feel she deserved. What's the point in pushing the advantage for the favored skaters so far as the ISU always does whether Russians are skating or not? I think Hana was also scored too low compared to Leona Hendrix and should have gotten the silver.
Skating has always been corrupt whether the Russians are there or not. Kaori has always been just as overscored in Japan as the Russians were internationally. The National Feds are just as corrupt as the ISU leadership.The judging in this sport is like the Emperors New Clothes. Everyone knows it's BS, but just pretends it's real. If you turn off the announcers and disregard reputation and watch closely in slow motion, you will realize how many mistakes Kaori gets away with compared to almost everyone else. She is the current chosen one.

readernick

Medalist

Hana and Rika are my personal favorites so, of course, I like Rena, too. She does need some help with her posture. ( Hana still needs to work on that, too). It gets very very sloppy at times. But, she's a great performer for a skater who is so young.

YuBluByMe

Final Flight
Hana and Rika are my personal favorites so, of course, I like Rena, too. She does need some help with her posture. ( Hana still needs to work on that, too). It gets very very sloppy at times. But, she's a great performer for a skater who is so young.
Rika’s my favorite lady skater too. Yoshida reminds me of her quite a bit actually and it’s not because of the 3A. Her SP last year and this year remind me of Rika’s SP her sophomore senior season.

Lady skaters tend to be boxed into these stereotypical labels. They’re either described as athletes or Tinkerbell. Why can’t you be an athletic Tinkerbell? And then a lot of people think Japanese ladies are monotonous, which makes it worse. Rika defies all of that as it’s really not so easy to label her that way. Same goes for Yoshida and Uezono, which is probably why I took to their skating, as well.

RafaelAstro

Final Flight
Kaori skates really well, but the advantageous scoring she has received now for years gets wearisome to me going back to Nationals against Rika Kihira in 2018. I mean Mao Shimada lands an exemplary quad toe and triple axel and though she has one popped jump ending up 10 points behind Kaori who has no quad or triple axel seems really deflated for Mao, and Hana Yoshida with superior tech content and a marvelous triple axel which is super risky and exciting to see with excellent and unusual artistry and expression still ends up 6 points behind Kaori and 9 points lower in PCS. Whatever, I mean Kaori could have still easily won even if the judges scored more accurately and had given Hana the winning freeskate I and so many others feel she deserved. What's the point in pushing the advantage for the favored skaters so far as the ISU always does whether Russians are skating or not? I think Hana was also scored too low compared to Leona Hendrix and should have gotten the silver.
And Kaori didn't receive a call for her two flutzes

rabidline

Final Flight
JSF has released their list of skaters who meet the selection criteria for the international competitions, with final selections to be done after Japanese Nationals:
It's fascinating to finally see the criteria for the selection for 4CC. (I didn't even know they have a criteria for 4CC selections!)