2023-24 Japanese Women's Figure Skating | Page 10 | Golden Skate

2023-24 Japanese Women's Figure Skating

hermine17

Final Flight
Okay, I looked at the worlds selection criteria. Looks like Rion won’t qualify even if she manages to place 4th at nats.😰 I wish the fact that she managed to qualify for the GPF meant something.

Biibi

Rinkside
Country
Finland
JSF has released their list of skaters who meet the selection criteria for the international competitions, with final selections to be done after Japanese Nationals:
It's fascinating to finally see the criteria for the selection for 4CC. (I didn't even know they have a criteria for 4CC selections!)
Can someone list the preselected names? My browser’s translator couldn’t work the document 🙁

Jumping_Bean

Record Breaker
Okay, I looked at the worlds selection criteria. Looks like Rion won’t qualify even if she manages to place 4th at nats.😰 I wish the fact that she managed to qualify for the GPF meant something.
Rion is 3rd in average scores, and if she's fourth, nobody is likely to surpass her there. The number of criteria you fulfill is not decisive, just that you fulfill at least one criterion - Kaori was sent to the Olympics in 2018 despite Wakaba fulfilling more criteria by finishing ahead of her at Nationals, for example.

Can someone list the preselected names? My browser’s translator couldn’t work the document 🙁
The Table of candidates by JSF - WC, Sr. women

Sr. women
3 spots
CriteriaCandidates
(in order of ranking)
1st spot1. Nationals-championTBD--------
2nd spot2-A. Nationals - 2nd & 3rd placementsTBDTBD------
2nd2-B. GPF: top 2 placementsKaoriHana*Rion----
2nd2-C. Top 3 by Seasonal Best (ISU)KaoriHanaRinka*Rino--
3rd spot3-A. Skater(s) left out from 2nd spot selectionTBATBA------
3rd3-A. Skater(s) left out from 2nd spot selectionKaoriHana*Rion----
3rd3-A. Skater(s) left out from 2nd spot selectionKaoriHanaRinka*Rino--
3rd3-B. Top 3 by World Standing (ISU)KaoriMaiRinka*Hana*Mone
3rd3-C. Top 3 by SWR (ISU)KaoriHanaRinka*Rion*Mone
3rd3-D. Top 3 of average scores (from selected international/domestic competitions)KaoriHanaRion*Rinka*Yuna
* Means that skaters can be considered if skaters ahead of them have already been selected.

For 4CC (3 spots):
CriterionCandidates
(in order of ranking)
A. Top 10 at NationalsTBD------------
B. Top 6 WSKaori SakamotoMai MiharaRinka WatanabeHana YoshidaMone ChibaRion Sumiyoshi
C. Top 6 SWRKaori SakamotoHana YoshidaRinka WatanabeRion SumiyoshiMone ChibaRino Matsuike
D. Top 6 SBKaori SakamotoHana YoshidaRinka WatanabeRino MatsuikeRion SumiyoshiWakaba Higuchi
E. Top 6 Average scoreKaori SakamotoHana YoshidaRion SumiyoshiRinka WatanabeYuna AokiWakaba Higuchi

For Jr Worlds:
Jr. Women 3 spotsCriterionCandidates
(in order of ranking)
1st spot1. National Jr ChampionMao Shimada---------
2nd & 3rd spot2-A. Jr Nationals - 2nd & 3rd placementsIkura KushidaRena Uezono
2-B. JGPF participationMao ShimadaRena Uezono
2-C. Top 3 Sr NationalsTBD---------
2-D. Top 3 SBMao ShimadaHana YoshidaRino MatsuikeRena Uezono
2-E. Top 3 Average scoreMao ShimadaRena UezonoYo TakagiIkura Kushida

Last edited:

hermine17

Final Flight
Rion is 3rd in average scores, and if she's fourth, nobody is likely to surpass her there. The number of criteria you fulfill is not decisive, just that you fulfill at least one criterion - Kaori was sent to the Olympics in 2018 despite Wakaba fulfilling more criteria by finishing ahead of her at Nationals, for example.

* Means that skaters can be considered if skaters ahead of them have already been selected.

For 4CC (3 spots):
CriterionCandidates
(in order of ranking)
A. Top 10 at NationalsTBD------------
B. Top 6 WSKaori SakamotoMai MiharaRinka WatanabeHana YoshidaMone ChibaRion Sumiyoshi
C. Top 6 SWRKaori SakamotoHana YoshidaRinka WatanabeRion SumiyoshiMone ChibaRino Matsuike
D. Top 6 SBKaori SakamotoHana YoshidaRinka WatanabeRino MatsuikeRion SumiyoshiWakaba Higuchi
E. Top 6 Average scoreKaori SakamotoHana YoshidaRion SumiyoshiRinka WatanabeYuna AokiWakaba Higuchi

For Jr Worlds:
Jr. Women 3 spotsCriterionCandidates
(in order of ranking)
1st spot1. National Jr ChampionMao Shimada---------
2nd & 3rd spot2-A. Jr Nationals - 2nd & 3rd placementsIkura KushidaRena Uezono
2-B. JGPF participationMao ShimadaRena Uezono
2-C. Top 3 Sr NationalsTBD---------
2-D. Top 3 SBMao ShimadaHana YoshidaRino MatsuikeRena Uezono
2-E. Top 3 Average scoreMao ShimadaRena UezonoYo TakagiIkura Kushida
Thank you! I thought Rion was 4th in average scores for some reason.

YuBluByMe

May Rika spin her hair into GOLD….in 2026.
Final Flight
Wait, wait. I’m just now noticing something about the selection criteria and I’ve no idea why I’m just noticing now.

I can’t read Japanese, but I understand it when spoken. Was there a press conference or something that I can listen to? I think there might be misinterpretation of the criteria. Last year, I interpreted the numbers as hard . For example, the only two Japanese skaters in the top 6 world standings are Sakamoto and Mihara. Last year, I believe it was top 6, not top 6 Japanese skaters. I also interpreted top two at GPF as Gold and Silver medalist. I also definitely remember that Watanabe was the only skater that fit the criteria, but I can’t remember if it was because the criteria was too stringent (I did point this out last year) or if it was because she was the only skater that met the criteria regardless. Probably both.

Jumping_Bean

Record Breaker
Wait, wait. I’m just now noticing something about the selection criteria and I’ve no idea why I’m just noticing now.

I can’t read Japanese, but I understand it when spoken. Was there a press conference or something that I can listen to? I think there might be misinterpretation of the criteria. Last year, I interpreted the numbers as hard . For example, the only two Japanese skaters in the top 6 world standings are Sakamoto and Mihara. Last year, I believe it was top 6, not top 6 Japanese skaters. I also interpreted top two at GPF as Gold and Silver medalist. I also definitely remember that Watanabe was the only skater that fit the criteria, but I can’t remember if it was because the criteria was too stringent (I did point this out last year) or if it was because she was the only skater that met the criteria regardless. Probably both.
They were never hard limits in the way you interpreted them, they were always referring to only the internal ranking of Japanese skaters, i.e. top two at GPF meant the two highest-ranked Japanese skaters at the GPF, and so on. Rinka was indeed the only skater apart from Kaori and Mai who fulfilled any of the criteria, even taking that into account.

What is new this year (and probably born from the situation last season) is that skaters who are already selected are "removed" from taking up places in the other criteria. They are still listed, but the next highest-ranked skater is added to the list instead (see Jr Worlds selection).

Joekaz

On the Ice
The most important thing is finishing in the top 3 at Nationals. Other than Sakamoto, no one is accomplished enough to knock anyone who is likely to finish on the podium out. However, since Shimada isn't age eligible, the interesting thing could be who finishes 4th. To me, the most likely scenerio for controversy would be if Higuchi finishes 4th and Shimada is ahead of her. Since Higuchi took last season off and wasn't all the way back to top form during the season, I doubt she fulfills any of the other criteria. And judging by the extremely harsh way she was scored in her GP appearances, it looks to me like the Fed doesn't want her to make the next Olympic team. So, in my opinion, if Wakaba doesn't finish on the podium, her future looks shaky.

RafaelAstro

Final Flight
Does anyone have notice that Ayumi Shibayama, Ikura Kushida, Yo takagi, Haruna Murakami and Ami Nakai will turn senior at the same season (olympic season)? Seniors need to watch out for the coming juniors thou from them only Ami has ultra c elements
Edit: why Ami is not considered in the jgpf participation and top 3 average score criteria for junior worlds?

Last edited:

Dreamer57

Record Breaker
Does anyone have notice that Ayumi Shibayama, Ikura Kushida, Yo takagi, Haruna Murakami and Ami Nakai will turn senior at the same season (olympic season)? Seniors need to watch out for the coming juniors thou from them only Ami has ultra c elements
Edit: why Ami is not considered in the jgpf participation and top 3 average score criteria for junior worlds?
Haruna will only turn senior in 26/27, but the others yes.

I think Ami is not considered because she didn't make it to senior nationals like the other names on the list.:(

I previously thought that to be selected for junior worlds you had to either win junior nationals or be next highest placing amongst juniors at senior nats. Now seeing the criteria, I'd be quite interested to see Rino at junior worlds as she's never been sent there before.
(Or Mone, but I believe she is struggling this season adapting to the coaching change and she'd have to place top 3 at nationals....)

RafaelAstro

Final Flight
I thought that skaters that were 17 years old before july 31th could go to senior level, or it was june 30th? I refer to the case of Haruna coz she was born on july 30th

macy

Record Breaker
i didn't realize Shimada was going to be skating up at nationals, that's going to be SUPER exciting to see how she holds up against Kaori.

RafaelAstro

Final Flight
Wonder is she would try the triple axel in the short considering she has been pretty consistent with it, she can be a good contender for gold.

Dreamer57

Record Breaker
i didn't realize Shimada was going to be skating up at nationals, that's going to be SUPER exciting to see how she holds up against Kaori.
Yes, she also skated at last year's nationals, placing third. She fell on the 3A and 4T at that time, hope she lands them here!

YuBluByMe

May Rika spin her hair into GOLD….in 2026.
Final Flight
The team selections for the ladies are in:

Worlds: Sakamoto, Chiba, Yoshida
Alt: Mihara, Watanabe, Sumiyoshi

4CC: Chiba, Mihara, Watanabe

Junior Worlds: Shimada, Uezono, Kushida
Alt: Takagi, Shibayama

surimi

Congrats to Sota, #10 in World Standings!
Record Breaker
Good to see Mako and Rion assigned. Now keeping my fingers crossed for Yuna Aoki and Rino Matsuike, despite Rino's hard time at Nationals. :pray: Maria Egawa is a lovely skater, I'd love to see more of her at international competitions. I hope she's not retiring anytime soon.