2020-21 US Women's Figure Skating | Page 24 | Golden Skate

2020-21 US Women's Figure Skating

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I look at Karen and I see one of the most naturally gifted skaters out there. She has the artistic presence, strong skating skills, and pop in her jumps. If she could build her confidence and consistency she could be a #1 lady again.

Sure she doesn’t have Alysa’s rotating speed, but she has about 2-3 times as much height on some of those jumps and I see 3A and quad toe potential all over the place with her. If she could get it down it would be like Liza level showstopping with its power and presence.

Karen jumps huge, but she rotates slow which is why her jumps are often scrutinized for under rotations. Her 2A is very strong so it's conceivable that she could learn a 3A, but I think her priority should be to get the other triples solid first because she really isn't in the mix for the top spot at Nationals without them.

katymay

Medalist
Karen jumps huge, but she rotates slow which is why her jumps are often scrutinized for under rotations. Her 2A is very strong so it's conceivable that she could learn a 3A, but I think her priority should be to get the other triples solid first because she really isn't in the mix for the top spot at Nationals without them.
Karen needs the same kind of help that Trusova is getting from Team Plushenko-to tighten up her air position and snap the rotation faster. She delays the rotation on the Lutz, and is inefficient on the other jumps. It is a shame as she has plenty of power.

mrrice

Record Breaker
They did decrease, but her triples from the Toe to Lutz were never called under. Of the under-rotation calls she received, only her 3A and 4Lz were dinged. The scoring is convoluted not only for the viewers but for the skater as well. However, I do think it is good that she's being called domestically so she can work on them.
Does anyone have a link to the Free Programs? I can't find them on Youtube.
I feel a bit foolish for asking but....I would really appreciate a link to the LP's as I haven't been able to find them. Thanks in advance

princessalica

Final Flight

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I have seen those but, I haven't seen the latest competition that Bradie won. Thank you Princessalica...:thank:

I can't find Bradie's, but I did find Alysa's and Mariah's on YouTube searching for their name and filtering by an Upload Data of Today :)

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
Karen needs the same kind of help that Trusova is getting from Team Plushenko-to tighten up her air position and snap the rotation faster. She delays the rotation on the Lutz, and is inefficient on the other jumps. It is a shame as she has plenty of power.

I've always thought that maybe she should go for the 3-3 with another jump like the loop or the flip, and let that lutz be that big as a solo or with the 2t in the free.

Tuktamysheva did this since her 3ltz-3t was getting inconsistent.

NAOTMAA

Medalist
I think it's good that they are hammering her on the under-rotations based on last season the unders are bad enough that international judges are going to call them.

I agree. It's better that she finds out now than be shocked by UR's when she gets to big international events.

Under rotations cost Alysa gold at the JGPF and silver at worlds so the international judges were definitely calling them.

In both events she lost to skaters who had neither a quad or 3A (Kamila at JGPF, Daria at worlds). It's likely the main cause of her coaching change beyond the need to improve on skating skills and speed. I don't think Alysa is under any delusion at the moment about her scores

Last edited:

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I've always thought that maybe she should go for the 3-3 with another jump like the loop or the flip, and let that lutz be that big as a solo or with the 2t in the free.

I agree. A shaky 3T after one of her solid 3Lz diminishes the entire combination, score-wise. However, I don't think she gets better flow out of any other triple, so it's a tough call. Maybe she could do a 2A-3T and a 2A-3S.

bubblecherry

Final Flight
I agree. A shaky 3T after one of her solid 3Lz diminishes the entire combination, score-wise. However, I don't think she gets better flow out of any other triple, so it's a tough call. Maybe she could do a 2A-3T and a 2A-3S.
She can’t really do that. She doesn’t have another Triple toe combo. Well, I guess we’ve never seen her attempt 3s3t or 3t3t, but I genuinely just think 3t combos don’t work well with her technique. She already switched to 2A3T and 3Lzeu3s as her big point combos in the FS last season. Her 3Lzeu3s looks a lot more convincing than her 3lz3t.

Skatesocs

Final Flight
Karen’s free program is so beautiful. She skates it so beautifully.
I think she skates it beautifully, and I think it's a perfect music choice for her, but the cuts and the choreography leave a lot to be desired IMO.

As for the tech, I think she should keep her usual SP layout. I don't think she's planning on learning a 3A, otherwise I'd love to see a 3A/3Lz/3Lo+2Lo.

mrrice

Record Breaker
She really does skate beautifully. I hope this summer she will go to TCC and work on her jumps, so she can get a 3A .
When is the next event for the top 3 US Ladies? Who's going to Skate America?

Last edited:

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Alysa changing coaches in the middle of a pandemic who she can't even train with was not the smartest thing to do to be honest. Now more then ever with her growth spurt and body change she needs a jump coach. I hope at least she's working overtime on her speed and skating skills because if she doesn't improve those things her quad and 3axel jumps aren't coming back. As for the rest of the ladies a healthy even semi consistent Ting jumps over everyone but Mariah and Bradie and Alysa if her growth spurt and lack of training with her coach don't set her back to much and Hanna Harrell could also be an underdog also since she has what some of these other ladies don't have and that is big jumps and remember in her last appearance at Nationals she made the podium winning the pewter medal. With neither Ting or Hanna competing last season they lost a lot of ground but with everything in flux now both of them could move up quickly.

Last edited: