2020-21 Russian Ladies' Figure Skating | Page 460 | Golden Skate

2020-21 Russian Ladies' Figure Skating

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thrashergurl

On the Ice
I think when Michelle Kwan had her book, she was already a national and World champion, and I believe Olympic silver medalist, although I’m not certain when the book was out.
Trusova is an amazing technician, however I can’t say her overall accomplishments would merit an autobiography yet. Maybe it’ll be a best seller though, so good for her.
Is she really the huge diva that she seems to be portrayed as this season? I can’t help but think some of this is just purposely being fed to the press for exposure. Then again, I have no idea what these girls are like off the ice.
I just hope all of them skate their best. And may the best skater win.

Magill

Record Breaker
I wonder, do Trusova and Kostornaya really like all this publicity? Kostornaya said she skated in the younger group and didn't want to get photographed.
When did she say that? I am not picking on you, just asking an honest question for I read something quite opposite, i.e. that she explained she had actually posed when the younger group was skating (kids visible in the background) as during her own ice time she trains and would not pose not to lose the training time. That's actually quite different so you made me curious.

Amei

Record Breaker
When did she say that? I am not picking on you, just asking an honest question for I read something quite opposite, i.e. that she explained she had actually posed when the younger group was skating (kids visible in the background) as during her own ice time she trains and would not pose not to lose the training time. That's actually quite different so you made me curious.

That was Kostornaia's explanation of the "list" she wouldn't skate with that caused her to leave Eteri; they were having them skate with younger aged skaters.

Alex65

Final Flight
Country
Russia
I think that Edwin's translator is connected to artificial intelligence, which contextually gives him the most scandalous version of the translation from the Russian language. :)
Especially for you, Edwin. In the comments to this video, Alena replied that she came to the training of the younger group specifically to take these photos for advertising. During his own training, she is training and time to photograph it does not.

Last edited:

Amei

Record Breaker
I think when Michelle Kwan had her book, she was already a national and World champion, and I believe Olympic silver medalist, although I’m not certain when the book was out.
Trusova is an amazing technician, however I can’t say her overall accomplishments would merit an autobiography yet. Maybe it’ll be a best seller though, so good for her.
Is she really the huge diva that she seems to be portrayed as this season? I can’t help but think some of this is just purposely being fed to the press for exposure. Then again, I have no idea what these girls are like off the ice.
I just hope all of them skate their best. And may the best skater win.

A quick Google search: Kwan was 17 when her first book came out in 1997, but at that point she had won nationals and Senior Worlds.

Magill

Record Breaker
That was Kostornaia's explanation of the "list" she wouldn't skate with that caused her to leave Eteri; they were having them skate with younger aged skaters.
I am lost now. Of course, I remember what Alyona said about skating with younger kids under Eteri. I don't think, though, she ever mentioned liking or disliking to be photographed with them while there. Anyway, I had an impression that Edwin was referring to her time at the AoP and her supposed feelings about the publicity she gets there, like the latest snippets of her FS published recently, no?

Magill

Record Breaker
In the comments to this video, Alena replied that she came to the training of the younger group specifically to take these photos for advertising. During his own training, she is training and time to photograph it does not.
Yeah, that's what I read in these comments, too, and what I have referred to in my post. Exactly.

Magill

Record Breaker
A quick Google search: Kwan was 17 when her first book came out in 1997, but at that point she had won nationals and Senior Worlds.
True. Still I think what matters most with such books is the level of public interest in the skater (or whoever's story the book aims to tell) and this level being high enough to create what is called a "market demand". In most cases, a skater would need to have a number of impressive titles for his/her story to be of any interest to the general public buying books. Obviously, it is not the case with Sasha and being the ruling Quad Queen makes her an exception to this rule :) Like, I understand, Yuzu was, too, for his own different reasons.

TripleAxelQueens3

sasha trusova is superior
Final Flight
Okay but honestly I know this is a super unpopular opinion but I'm not the biggest fan of Kostornaia's "The Leftovers". I think the idea is good, the transitions into jumps are good, and the costumes are nice, but there's nothing in the choreography that makes me open my eyes in astonishment or glee. In comparison, Stella's Theme and Adios Nonino are the two programs that I feel are her very best so far. The sheer attention to detail and actually reasonable music cuts are some of the best I've seen from the Tutberidze Group. I'd go as far as to say Stella's Theme and Adios Nonino were two of the best programs of the Olympic Season. The thing about the leftovers program is that the step sequence doesn't highlight her wonderful speed and flow across the ice, as the matter of fact, it almost feels slow and awkward at some parts. Again, just my opinion, and probably a very unpopular and incorrect one at that. I have been underwhelmed by the choreography for her new FS so far, but again, it's only part of it and I don't want to judge a four minute skate based off a thirty second clip. If anyone could link the R&J part that would be really nice!

Ifwe

Rinkside
Okay but honestly I know this is a super unpopular opinion but I'm not the biggest fan of Kostornaia's "The Leftovers". I think the idea is good, the transitions into jumps are good, and the costumes are nice, but there's nothing in the choreography that makes me open my eyes in astonishment or glee. In comparison, Stella's Theme and Adios Nonino are the two programs that I feel are her very best so far. The sheer attention to detail and actually reasonable music cuts are some of the best I've seen from the Tutberidze Group. I'd go as far as to say Stella's Theme and Adios Nonino were two of the best programs of the Olympic Season. The thing about the leftovers program is that the step sequence doesn't highlight her wonderful speed and flow across the ice, as the matter of fact, it almost feels slow and awkward at some parts. Again, just my opinion, and probably a very unpopular and incorrect one at that. I have been underwhelmed by the choreography for her new FS so far, but again, it's only part of it and I don't want to judge a four minute skate based off a thirty second clip. If anyone could link the R&J part that would be really nice!
here you go, this is the stsq snippet

TripleAxelQueens3

Final Flight
I second the motion.

(And recognize Eteri Georgievna as choreographer of Adios Nonino, IIRC.)
I kind of want Eteri do to more choreography if she can create masterpieces like Adios Nonino. Even the first combination spin was completely on the music! Like every change in position reflected the music going from lower octaves to high octaves or soft to loud (like she'd go from the upright position when the piano is playing in the higher octaves and then goes down to sit as the music runs down to the lower octaves... ah so cool!) In addition the slow step sequence totally works because it matches with the lighter music. The buildup to the climax is also super amazing. Just overall, such a well thought out and well performed and well choreographed program.

esteticlove

Final Flight
I kind of want Eteri do to more choreography if she can create masterpieces like Adios Nonino.

I think that almost every student of their team has at least one program that was made mainly by Eteri and this program, in my opinion, was always the best one in the entire repertoire of the skater. Zagitova's DQ, Valieava's Girl on the ball and the mentioned one of Kostornaya. My all time favourite of Medvedeva's were WE and 9/11, and both were made together by Averbukh and Eteri, if I am not wrong. Also, Medvedeva's Kukushka for her exhibitions was created mainly by Evgenia and Eteri, and this was a very well appreciated program from the fans. I don't know if Eteri choreographed something special for Sasha over the years, I think that most of her programs were a team choice by Eteri and Daniil, but still I believe that Eteri had the say for the direction of her FPs, which were more sophisticated and different from the rest of the field.

Saying this, we have to admit that Daniil has also done some great work (even though most people describe him as a hit-and-miss). Especially for Alina he has made a lot of great stuff - Black Swan, Me Voy, Carmen, Cleopatra - those were all iconic programs. I have the feeling that they are taking a similar path with Kamila, even though they haven't put her in the warhorse box yet.

I think the issue is rather with the rest of the skaters - Anna, Darya and Maia. They kind of are left with the more generic style of the team and don't have that much opportunity to showcase their artistical talent. Especially Anna.. I have been wishing for some programs similar to her Dreamcatcher. Her Perfume SP last season was very strong, but her FPs are rather not my taste. :(

colormyworld240

Medalist
I agree with what you've said about The Leftovers. I also thought Stella's Theme wasn't spectacular, either. Both were fine and inoffensive, but also generic and quite boring. Adios Nonino was more interesting, and Eteri was given the top credit for that. My unpopular opinion is that Cleopatra was also generic, despite a more interesting step sequence.

I'd say the best programs choreographically were Me Voy, Black Swan, the "asylum" Fly/Experience, and Don Quixote. Don Quixote was done perfectly for the ballet in terms of structuring, timing, and building the intensity, but I would say Daniil's mother was a bigger influence in that; she was the ballet dancer who was also credited with the choreography and I'm sure she would have made many changes and additions as she knows ballet much better than Eteri and Daniil. And Alina has also said she worked with her a lot for DQ. Black Swan and Fly/Experience were unique, but I'd say Me Voy was the best. It's the most nuanced of all the programs from that team, and also has the best step sequence, imo.

colormyworld240

Medalist
Why doesn't Eteri move to a private rink? I'm sure the private rink would welcome her with open arms as she'd increase their income a lot.

Aren't private rinks not state funded, though? That would mean that the skaters would have to pay significantly more for their ice time and most probably wouldn't be able to afford it. Of their current skaters, the only one with sponsorships is Anna, I believe.

The increased income for the rink would have to come from the skaters, assuming that the stipend from the state just about covers everything currently (Anna's father said they pay virtually nothing for her skating, and Alina couldn't afford a new dress her first junior season which I'm assuming means she used all of her stipend on coaching/ice time). If she moved to a private rink, she's probably lose most of her skaters, especially the ones not on the national team.

Amei

Record Breaker
Why doesn't Eteri move to a private rink? I'm sure the private rink would welcome her with open arms as she'd increase their income a lot.

Eteri doesn't strike me as complacent, I'm sure she's looked at her options and at this time staying at Sambo is the best situation for her. it makes sense to stay with state-funded athletes; given the titles that Eteri has coached skaters to she would be quite expensive as a private coach and that might not be something many skaters can afford and if they can afford it privately they might be too demanding, ie I'm paying your salary, you work for me and I dictate how things will be.

Last edited:

TripleAxelQueens3

Final Flight
For any classical music lovers, I thought about the best Chopin nocturne that fits the Russian ladies.
  1. Zhenya - Op. 48 No. 1 (one of my favorite ones. Probably the one that shows the most range in emotion and control of dynamics, which Zhenya does well in her skating.)
  2. Anna - Op. 9 No. 2 or Op. 32 No. 1 (the first one because it is probably one of the lightest and soft pieces, and Anya skated to it 17/18 season too. Second one because it sounds very fairylike and elegant in the beginning, but delves into darker and more dramatic areas towards the end, also shows the scale of her emoting abilities)
  3. Alena - Op. 27 No. 2 or Op. 15 No. 1 or Op. 9 No. 1 (couldn't choose because all of my underrated favorites seem to remind me of her. The first one is also one of my favorites. This one shows more of the elegant, beautiful and just picturesque sides of Chopin, reminds me of Alena's Angel program or Stella's Theme. Second one and third one both have much more range, and command much more power and speed.)
  4. Sasha - Op. 37 No. 2 (I had a difficult time choosing this one, but it sounds mostly happy and the opening chord ascension sounds pretty upbeat. Well, as upbeat as his nocturnes get).
  5. Daria - Op. 62 No. 1 (again, one of the more dramatic pieces. This one sounds more sorrowful and we know Dasha specializes in dramatic ballads about love and escaping).
  6. Kamila - Op. 15. No. 3 (one of the simpler pieces, however, it is still really beautiful and emotional. It reminds me of the Picasso program).
  7. Alina - Op. 32 No. 2 (my underrated favorite. It sounds like a waltz in disguise, and as Alina is one of the more regal skaters, it seemed to fit. I honestly couldn't think of much for Alina because her style is more like epic orchestral and none of Chopin's nocturnes stay on a high point althroughout).

lopsilceci

On the Ice
Country
Mexico
7 pages! :laugh:What can be said that much about a dog?

Even Masaru who is making more money than some skaters, met prime ministers and have been received on talk shows can't have 7 pages:laugh:
Masaru has also won dog competitions, has a sponsor, merch, her own wiki page and a movie cameo. Even the story of how Alina got Masaru is interesting.
She's such a star! I would give her the 7 pages 🤩😁

lopsilceci

On the Ice
Country
Mexico
True. Still I think what matters most with such books is the level of public interest in the skater (or whoever's story the book aims to tell) and this level being high enough to create what is called a "market demand". In most cases, a skater would need to have a number of impressive titles for his/her story to be of any interest to the general public buying books. Obviously, it is not the case with Sasha and being the ruling Quad Queen makes her an exception to this rule :) Like, I understand, Yuzu was, too, for his own different reasons.
I always felt that the trend of writing autobiographies at a young age was a north american thing... Almost every famous youtuber or influencer has one now, for example.
For skaters, it's usually after going to the Olympics, since it's supposed to be like the big goal or culmination of all those years of sacrifice and hard work.

For Sasha (I know she's not the writer and it's probably not her initiative), the timing is weird. Why not wait until after the Olympics, wouldn't it be much more interesting then? Even if she didn't win there, it would be more interesting than now, when she has yet to win a senior international gold medal.
Anyway, I hope she can stay grounded through all of this external hype.

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
and the fourth part of the series on plugging the Figurist store ;-)

Daniil Gleikhengauz talking competition attire.

“ The only rule for training gear is that the athlete looks elegant, that there is nothing superfluous, nothing should be loose. Everything should fit almost tightly so that it does not interfere with jumping and spinning.

And, of course, there should not be a lot of bare skin - there should not be a real open back, because it is cold. When the athletes skate the programs, they are heated up. It is necessary that they are not blown out so that they do not catch colds and get sick.

Black is preferable, but no one tells them about it, it is their desire. I won't let an athlete out on ice in pink. Of course, everything is individual, everything should have a measure.

As for the costumes for the performances, we are very much involved in the process as it is part of the program. Eteri Georgiyevna and I inspect every costume, every detail, she is generally a master in this. It seems to me that she herself can make sketches, I don’t know about her sewing.

Thank God, we have an established relationship with our dressmaker Olga, if she herself sees something didn't work out, she starts working again "

Last edited:

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
Thanks to Plushyfan that she confirmed my opinion (Y)
Oh, I didn't know about it..If I right remember I laughed at you :wink: it shows that how you used to rewrite the reality! How you used to rewrite what actually happened as proof of your truth.:palmf:

Status
Not open for further replies.