Your favorite "small fed"? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Your favorite "small fed"?

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
How about Finland. I know they've had some successful and Beautiful Skaters in Ladies but, I never hear about the rest of their athletes. What Finland also does really well is the Synchronized Skating.

Finland is a great choice. Judging from the content of some of your other posts, I suspect that, like me, you're of an age to remember Euro champs and world medalist ice dancers Rahkamo and Kokko. They were an iconic team, always bringing interesting programs.

I don't recall any Finnish men or pairs... maybe someone can refresh my memory.

I'm not into Syncho so much, but I understand they are a traditional world power, which I find really interesting.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I'd probably say Australia because they have shown a lot of grit on the international circuit.

Even though they don't have a ton of notable pairs/dance teams, I do appreciate Switzerland's spinners. If you ask historically which country has the best spinners, Switzerland is always near the top of most people's lists. And for a small fed to be associated with a significant element in figure skating says something.

elektra blue

mother of skaters
Record Breaker
Country
Italy
i'm going to be patriotic here (it's hardly a surprise, i know) and i'll say Italy, but in close second comes Estonia, you all know how much i love Eva Lotta Kiibbus, the Selevkos brothers are coming up well too, if nothing as gorgeous cacti :LOL: also in junior Arlet Levandi looks promising

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Wow, so many of our responses are "Forza Italia"! And Estonia getting a lot of love too :)

I have trouble answering my own question, because the skaters from small feds that I love are pretty much the fed: Donovan Carrillo, Deniss Vasiljevs, Julian Yee. Yes, there are other skaters from their countries, but they are the most well known (then again, since the men are my favs, maybe just the most well known to me:laugh:)

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Wow, so many of our responses are "Forza Italia"! And Estonia getting a lot of love too :)

I have trouble answering my own question, because the skaters from small feds that I love are pretty much the fed: Donovan Carrillo, Deniss Vasiljevs, Julian Yee. Yes, there are other skaters from their countries, but they are the most well known (then again, since the men are my favs, maybe just the most well known to me:laugh:)

Also... Brezina would fall in that category, although I suppose he's retired.

OMG, I just discovered we have a cactus emoji! 🌵🌵🌵

I hope I'm the first one to use it. It's the official emoji of the Brezina Fan Club.

Seven Sisters

Medalist
Surprised no one has mentioned Great Britain. Groundbreaking men like Curry and Cousins; generations of dancers, from the glorious Torvill & Dean, to the Kerrs, the Buckland brothers, and through to present-day Fear & Gibson; and the remarkable Zoe Jones.

Last edited:

eppen

Medalist
Country
Spain
My votes would go to many directions - Finland and Spain are first choices for somewhat patriotic and emotional reasons, but at the moment Estonian skaters are some of my faves. Italy also because it is after all just about my second home and have paid a lot of attention to what happens there also.

The reason why Finnish men and pairs cannot be remembered is that I don't think we have ever really had any pairs (well, obviously some at national level every now and then) and our men are traditionally directing their skating energies towards ice hockey. Both Kiira Korpi and Emmi Peltonen are btw from ice hockey families.

E

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Czech Republic - Michal Brezina :love2:, Tomas Verner
Israel - Alexey Bychenko :cheer:, Daniel Samohin
Switzerland - Stephane Lambiel, Denise Bielmann, Sarah Meier, Lucinda Ruh, Alexa Pagannini
Australia - Brendan Kerry, Kailani Craine, Peter Cain (now a coach)
Mexico - Donovan Carillo

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm kinda giving y'all the side-eye with naming Italy 🇮🇹 as a "small federation." They've had some very good competitiors in pairs, dance, ladies.... some good men competing now.

When I think "small fed" I think more along the lines of Iceland 🇮🇸 or Denmark 🇩🇰 or Mexico 🇲🇽 or Malaysia 🇲🇾.

I guess we can agree that a "large fed" hosts a Senior GP event 🇺🇸🇨🇦🇫🇷🇷🇺🇨🇳🇯🇵, and a "small fed" is all the rest ⛸️⛸️⛸️.

Although, and I am being completely honest here, the whole point of this post was to play with the flag emoji.

Best wishes, Tonto the honorary Georgian 🇬🇪

AKA: Hot Tonto 🔥

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Great topic!!!!!
Great Britain - Peter James Hallam. I ADORE him. I
Spain and the fabulous Donovan Carillo
France and Kevin Aymoz
Australia

Donovan Carrillo is the pride of México, not Spain, but I know you know that ;)

Jumping off, I am with my friend Tonto here. I have difficulty thinking of France or Italy as "small feds". Particularly France, which has been competitive at least in the men's discipline since the 60s. Smaller countries, maybe? but they have historically had powerful skaters. :)