2021 JGP Baltic Cup: Rhythm Dance | Page 10 | Golden Skate

2021 JGP Baltic Cup: Rhythm Dance

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Just in time for some Albatrosses? :scratch2:

You got me all excited there, thinking I was going to hear this absolute classic:

Fleetwood Mac - "Albatross"

So, you can imagine my disappointment when I actually heard this claptrap:

AronChupa - "I'm An Albatraoz"

Not even in the same universe never mind the same league.

CaroLiza_fan

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Btw, the protocols say the Cypriotes got a one point penalty because 5 of 7 judges say they violated a choreographic restriction.

Btw. St JGP Košice 1 of 10 judges said they violated a choreographic restriction .

You cannot just ignore this stuff, even if it is only one judge.

Mmmm. Interesting.

Looking at the protocols, seven other partnerships got one judge calling a violation, but only Angelina and Ilia got enough calls to get a deduction.

I admit that I have not been a regular reader of the protocols over the years, but I had never noticed this before Sofía Val and Nikita Vitryanyuk did their FD last week. So, is it a new penalty? Or, are more choreographers / skaters taking the choreography right to the edge of what is allowed in the rules?

Do you have any idea what it was for? My guess would be that it's for the worm. But, I don't know.

I hope they know what it is for, because you're right - they need to change it. You can't afford to be taking a chance and risk throwing away points unnecessarily. Points make prizes!

You know, it was so much simpler when you weren't allowed to touch the ice. Angelina and Ilia's team-mate, Stefania Yakovleva, slid along the ice with both her hands on the ice during the Ladies SP yesterday, and I hadn't a clue whether it would be classed as a fall, a hand down, or just part of the choreography.

She didn't get any deductions apart from for her early fall, so it must have been perfectly acceptable.

It's all getting too confusing.

CaroLiza_fan

Last edited:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I have not been keeping up with it, but I have seen other teams get away with the worm...but so did the Cypriotes at Kosice.

The items I know about that are called by the referee and voted on by the judges are
1. Touching the ice with the hands, except in a step sequence Type B
2. separation, including excessive separation which occurs in elements where separation is allowed, like Not Touch steps and twizzles- more than 2 arm lengths
3. Crossing the centerline of the rink under some circumstances

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
That was entertaining dance by this russian-american team :clap:

Russian?

Do you mean all-American, born in Denver Colorado, Dimitriy Tsarevski? Or are you talking about someone else?

Because of course someone's Russian parentage does not mean that they are Russian, based on your previous posts :)

Anyway, Isabella and Dimitriy do have a considerable amount of flair for a junior couple(y)

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
Russian?

Do you mean all-American, born in Denver Colorado, Dimitriy Tsarevski? Or are you talking about someone else?

Because of course someone's Russian parentage does not mean that they are Russian, based on your previous posts :)

Anyway, Isabella and Dimitriy do have a considerable amount of flair for a junior couple(y)
First, I was talking about Leah Neset/Artem Markelov. Second... well, there is second, but no need to support you to continue in what you are trying to do.

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
First, I was talking about Leah Neset/Artem Markelov. Second... well, there is second, but no need to support you to continue in what you are trying to do.

My apologies, you are quite right that Artem was born in Russia. They were also charming :)

ETA: Although I adhere to the principle that if you compete for a certain country, then that is your country. Alexia Paganini is not a Swiss American, for purposes of skating, she is Swiss.

Then again, I never understood taking pride in a "Country" as related to an individual sport like skating. A discussion for another day....

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Apology accepted. I hope we are fine now.

We are. I did add an "ETA" but it was not meant to provoke argument, but only to explain my own point of view.

Both ice dancing teams have a coach who competed for Russia, I believe. I am certain that does affect their skills and approach.

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
I have not been keeping up with it, but I have seen other teams get away with the worm...but so did the Cypriotes at Kosice.

The items I know about that are called by the referee and voted on by the judges are
1. Touching the ice with the hands, except in a step sequence Type B
2. separation, including excessive separation which occurs in elements where separation is allowed, like Not Touch steps and twizzles- more than 2 arm lengths
3. Crossing the centerline of the rink under some circumstances

Thank you, Doris. :thank:

Personally, I do not like to see skaters touching the ice, even if it is choreographed. But, I'm old fashioned. Hey, I still wish they hadn't allowed vocals!

Since they were so plentiful, it would be interesting to know what exactly the violations were for each partnership. It would be particularly interesting to know if there is something they are all doing. But, since the protocols don't say, I guess we won't ever find out.

CaroLiza_fan

Seven Sisters

Medalist
We did have a double worm here (I’ve only previously seen one partner do it) but my immediate guess was, she had too many body parts above his shoulder during that lift, and for too long.

Absolutely loved that team—true creativity and flair, so rare these days. I was also thoroughly impressed with Flores/Tsarevski (especially him) and, on rewinding the tape to see what I missed, I also thought the young British team had a lot to offer, pleasantly reminiscent of Fear & Gibson.

Did anyone mention that young Andari of Poland looks a lot like Johnny Weir?! Once I saw the resemblance, it was hard to un-see it.
And it was heartbreaking to see the last team cry.

Last edited: