2021 Finlandia Trophy: Pairs Short Program | Page 12 | Golden Skate

2021 Finlandia Trophy: Pairs Short Program

Seven Sisters

Medalist
Charming end of the competition in kiss&cry. Happy second Spanish team :)
Agreed! I missed their actual skate but seeing them in the KnC my first thought was, such delightful young people, I’m so happy for them—also, that he has quite a nice head of hair :)

I missed most of the comp, and am seeing that James/Radford are in third. I guess they skated well? That’s good news.

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
Agreed! I missed their actual skate but seeing them in the KnC my first thought was, such delightful young people, I’m so happy for them—also, that he has quite a nice head of hair :)
Bang bang! I think they got a personal best :)

kmw227

On the Ice
Country
United-States
May I offer a contrary opinion? I absolutely loved this program the first time I saw it, but it is starting to grate on me—haven’t liked it nearly as much on subsequent viewings. JMHO.
I get that. I do like it a little less than I did last season, but I still really love it!

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I find myself getting really excited about this Spanish team!
As I said, I would have B/Z slightly higher than Ash/Timothy but more in the range of 66+, but scores in the middle section are all down, simply because the judges DID NOT score Ash/Timothy fairly with a clean skate. A&T are being rated lower than they deserve to be rated.

And once again @Hyena, no matter if you don't like C/J, they have quality lifts, superb usually 4s and 5s 3-twist which always looks easy. They tend to land their throws, but need some tweaks to get more distance. The height is always huge, but too huge almost with little distance. The issue is because they both had different throw technique when they teamed up, and are still trying to adjust. Jess tends to land the throws like a cat because she has a strong back. Honestly, C/J's main weaknesses are sbs jumps and needing to ace technique on throws. That's it though. They are high quality with speed, polish and style on everything else. If you are trying to look down on their other elements, that's because you don't like them.

Even if I don't favor other teams, I'm always honest about their overall abilities, along with being honest about the politics.

LadyB

Record Breaker
I'm so glad that T/M continue their strong start to the season! :party2:
Still thrilled by M/G's performance, especially Sasha's show pieces.
Like to see that J/R have recovered from a shaky start and wish to see H/S and CG/L a bit stronger in the FS.

Seven Sisters

Medalist
I did not see CG/L skate today and so can’t comment on the scores which seem to be so controversial here, but have always thought that they are a team with unique gifts—which has unfortunately stagnated in their current coaching situation. I get that being coached by Ashley’s parents is comfortable for them, and probably cost-efficient, but I think that they would very much benefit from a cold hard look at their strengths and weaknesses by a new coaching team. Only then will they improve. JMHO!

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
H/K have a nice programme...a bit of a problem on the 3Tw landing and Robert fell. This will get better during the season.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
Oh goodie. That was well done J/R! Sure, a bit of a problem with the throw landing (but no fall). This programme is growing on me.

peepsquick

Final Flight
I can't judge the technicalities but I loved Ash/Timothy: their RD is beautifully crafted and more intricate than other pairs. You literally feel the pulse of the music following their movements. I feel also that it is quite athletically demanding (they have quite a few "little jumps" in between elements). Ashley's position with a bend knee in the spiral makes it also quite challenging. The steps and connections look intricate to my unschooled eyes. I would have put them higher up in the results ...
I am also glad for T/M: I hope they fond their mojo this time around!

coldblueeyes

Record Breaker
Country
Brazil
Thanks for the rundown. But once again, we get into subjectivity. I know Ash/Timothy aren't perfect. But I think the q rating is because they expect Ash to have problems on rotations and landings, even when she doesn't.

For example, T/M, if they skate clean are always given huge scores. They skated less better than this and with less confidence at 2019 Worlds and were given 81+ because the judges wanted to put a win out of reach for James/Cipres who at that point had yet to skate, but had won every competition they'd entered that season, beating a tentative T/M twice (at GPF and Euros).
No? It's in the rulebook. And if you took a look at the full protocols, you would see that the panel was on the more strict side all around, while the judges were more lenient in the GOE. Also, historically, Finlandia Trophy has always been more conservative in scoring, so you can definitely expect higher scores for T/M at the more important competitions.

You know who is the team that got the biggest nod from the judging panel? My favorites, M/G. Definitely don't see them as close in PCS to T/M with the program they skated today. But they are a clear second, and it wouldn't change anything if they had been two points higher or lower.

Also, one last thing about Ash and Tim, the judge who gave them the lowest GOE and PCS was the judge from the US. Make of that what you will.

coldblueeyes

Record Breaker
Country
Brazil
The US should probably do some clean up at home before criticizing anyone else. Their judge here definitely set up C-G/L as the second American team. Had they given them more of a push, the Russian judge would be the score thrown out and they’d average a better mark.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
Well, Rocker's link could be rewounded back to Dorota Broda and Pedro Betegon Martin (who were very happy with their skate), and then there were men (interesting but not what I wanted to watch).

But he also posted some of the programme links, so I could watch H/S (they did well), MT/M (who did not do so well) and M/G (who were not at their best but still pretty good). But it would have been nice if I could have watched O/E (I am Dutch after all), B/Z (who presumably have improved yet again. Wow), CJ (who as far as I can see in the score handled their jumps which is excellent) and others. But I'm happy to have been able to see even a few, so I am glad @peepsquick pointed it out to me. :love2: