Baron Vladimir

Record Breaker

Amei

Record Breaker

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
The embassy and government officials did their job absolutely correctly. Good for them. :) ETA: We have no idea what their time frame limits are, what their other duties are, and to judge them on the timelines of visas for figure skaters ? Important to us, not to them.

The argument that figure skating is so popular in Russia that Canadian officials must absolutely know that these skaters are so so so popular in Russia, because who wouldn't know is so circular, as to be unpersuasive.

The further argument that therefore Canada is engaged in the Eville Anti Russian Konspiracy to keep figure skaters out of Canada because after all the Whole Wide World knows and cares if a Russian figure skater wins Skate Canada

I don't think so. :laugh:

My wish: that everyone would love and support their favorite skaters. That if those favorite skaters are Russian women, they shower them with support, respect, applause and all the good things.

And leave silly nationalism that leads to conspiracy minded conclusions (ETA: such nationalism of course being far different than national pride) at home.(y)
You don't know what "their time frame limits are", but of course you know they did their job correctly. In other words, Canada can't be wrong even when they just delay things without a reason and cause problems to many people. This doesn't require further arguments :biggrin:

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
You don't know what "their time frame limits are", but of course you know they did their job correctly. In other words, Canada can't be wrong even when they just delay things without a reason and cause problems to many people. This doesn't require further arguments :biggrin:

Yes, I follow Occam's Razor, the simplest explanation is the best. Eville Konspiracies for me require too many untested suppositions. But it is true, I have no first hand knowledge.

I am glad the skaters received their passports back and they can go(y)

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
Yes, I follow Occam's Razor, the simplest explanation is the best. Eville Konspiracies for me require too many untested suppositions. But it is true, I have no first hand knowledge.

I am glad the skaters received their passports back and they can go(y)
Read properly. I said "it was a simple bureaucratic sluggishness and idleness". When skaters nearly weren't able to leave and even if they can at the end they may not have any time for acclimatization and training at the place then how this can be marked as "the embassy and government officials did their job absolutely correctly." That's the opposite of doing things correctly. That's Occam's razor when it comes to administration. It's like Vogons. They also are not actually evil, but bad-tempered, bureaucratic, officious and callous.

Last edited:

Mauvedreamer

Final Flight
Well I am pleased if Alionya is returning to Lovely by Billie Eilish. It is much more her. She needs music she can connect to and that engages her. It is a good decision. Not sure why they changed the SP but it will be interesting to see . Please let it be Frank Sinatra and not some awful cover !! We know Alionya can sell a program she connects to. Yes I'm all for it.

Jeanie19

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Anyone seen this yet?

Apparently Aliona changed both of her programs?

SP: New York, New York
FS: Billie Eilish "Lovely" from last season.

Idk what to think about this to be honest.
I think she should have kept the short program, but I think Lovely is perfect for her.
I changed my mind. I forgot that her short program was so bad, so New York New York has to be better. So I approve of both changes. And I'm glad we will see them this weekend.

Last edited:

Scott512

Record Breaker
That's it. It doesn't matter whether an embassy official knows someone as a person. He is paid to do his job properly and canadian embassy emplyees obviously have failed in doing their job properly, because that delay had nothing to do with health safety, it was a simple bureaucratic sluggishness and idleness, which, of course, is accepted by some when it comes to mere skaters "nobody cares about (it provides more chances to the others after all ;))".
Agreed.

Thankfully the Russians are there and can compete in Skate Canada and get some practice time.

Dawn825

Medalist
Anyone seen this yet?

I have mixed feelings.
On the one hand, that screaming SP music was irredeemable so I'm very happy they're replacing it. The FS didnt really work for her either, and we know she responds to the Lovely music, so that could be a big improvement as well.
On the other hand, even with the most beautiful programs in the world, Kostornaia isnt going to the Olympics without at least 2 triple axels and GP victories over Liza and Anna. So I'm worried that the stress of learning and performing new programs might make her less likely to acheive either of those things, especially this weekend.

icybear

Medalist
Anyone seen this yet?

Yes! The heavens have spoken. Although to be fair, if she performs with the lack of commitment and energy like in the past 2 outings, no program would save her. But at least we know that she is capable of performing her Lovely program

Jontor

Medalist
Country
Sweden
New programs or not, that won't help Kostornaia a bit as long as she doesn't have the tech. And the tech is what she should focus on, not changing programs and choreo. New programs won't mean a thing, there is no points in new programs. Perhaps one PCS point or two, if she feels more comfortable with them. But that's it. Instead, now she is throwing away valuable training time with new programs instead of focusing on getting better.

Mauvedreamer

Final Flight
I have mixed feelings.
On the one hand, that screaming SP music was irredeemable so I'm very happy they're replacing it. The FS didnt really work for her either, and we know she responds to the Lovely music, so that could be a big improvement as well.
On the other hand, even with the most beautiful programs in the world, Kostornaia isnt going to the Olympics without at least 2 triple axels and GP victories over Liza and Anna. So I'm worried that the stress of learning and performing new programs might make her less likely to acheive either of those things, especially this weekend.
She pretty much knows her Lovely program though ,so making it competitive ,it was going to be her FS before she left ,and she has been performing it a show version at the TT show so I think that will be less of a challenge. The short well hopefully it isn't a rush job... wait and see .. fingers crossed 🤞