2021 Skate Canada: Women's Short Program | Page 35 | Golden Skate

2021 Skate Canada: Women's Short Program

Joekaz

On the Ice
I think Liza's scores show Rusfed thinks she is a contender for the Olympics.

Wakaba's 3T was called q and ! on the flip. Lots of calls for everyone... Which is fair but I'm still confused why the technical panel didn't see Karen or Tuk's issues... Maybe they got tired. .
From what I saw, Alysa's 3T was more of a q than Higuchi's, and she was called clean.

Joekaz

On the Ice
No doubt and that is reflected in the SS mark. But, transitions, choreography, interpretation were pretty on point. She wasn't overscored compared to others.

Tuk got 35 for her skate.... The problem I see is Wakaba's PCS compared to Tuk's.. just different levels of skaters but not in the way the PCS suggests
The problem was the first group was scored differently than the second group. Higuchi should have been in the low 70's for sure. If those 3T qs are called the other way, they would be even in the score.

readernick

Medalist
From what I saw, Alysa's 3T was more of a q than Higuchi's, and she was called clean.
Alysa was also harshly judged by the technical panel. Alysa got a UR not q on her 3A. She also got an edge call on her flip.

I saw Higuchi's q in real time but didn't see Alysa's ( the axel was obviously UR but not her other jumps) . I say this as a fan of Higuchi's... PCS was too low but the calls were correct.

If you want to see skaters handled with kid gloves by the technical panel, that's Tuk and Karen who both had URs visible in real time go uncalled......

Last edited:

b-man

Final Flight
Kamila got +5 from almost all the judges on her CCoSp4 (she only got a +4). She was indisputably the best in this field, absolutely incredible, nerves of steel, temper, elegance. Fully boarded on her train. šŸ˜
First time seeing Kamila, impressed with her speed, her rotations, and as Dick Button would say, her lines and extensions. I was hoping Alena could match her, but Kamila was the class of the field.

Sjs5572

Final Flight
Alysa was also harshly judged by the technical panel. Alysa was also got a UR not q on her 3A. She also got an edge call on her flip.

I saw Higuchi's q in real time but didn't see Alysa's ( the axel was obviously UR but not her other jumps) . I say this as a fan of Higuchi's... PCS was too low but the calls were correct.

If you want to see skaters handled with kid gloves by the technical panel, that's Tuk and Karen who both had URs visible in real time go uncalled......
This. The "!" on Alysa's flip was gratuitous. The edge was clearer than Kamila's flip, which didn't get a call. This has been the predominant Ladies' flip technique for the last five years, and suddenly it starts getting called at Nebelhorn.

readernick

Medalist
This. The "!" on Alysa's flip was gratuitous. The edge was clearer than Kamila's flip, which didn't get a call. This has been the predominant flip technique for the last five years, and suddenly it started getting called at Nebelhorn.
They've been doing it in juniors, too. I am actually fine with the calls but if they are going to call the flips with this level of zeal, they need to call all those flat or e lutzes too.

icybear

Medalist
Alyona is the most unfortunate victim of this pandemic. Could have been an undefeated champion in her debut season. A Worlds title to her name. Now she's lost her PCS queen status and is rated lower than Tuktamysheva.
Well she had the opportunity to win Worlds the following year if she didnt decided to have a rebel year and lost her form. 2019-2020 Alena would have easily won Worlds 2021 over Anna whose biggest element was a quad flip fall. Alena wouldnt even have needed 3 clean 3a to win that competition.
Yes she had COVID that year. But we have to admit the move to Plushenko definitely hindered her career as well.

Joekaz

On the Ice
Alysa was also harshly judged by the technical panel. Alysa got a UR not q on her 3A. She also got an edge call on her flip.

Im the opposite, I saw Liu's q realtime and not Higuchi's, even though I was looking for it because she did it in warmups. Calling an obvious UR on that 3A wasn't being strict. I will give Liu credit for having the guts to go 3A. Even though she URd it, she still outscored Higuchi's 2A by a point. I hope Wakaba takes note of that for the future.

gioccia

On the Ice
I donā€™t mind the scores today. Alisa could have scored more if she hadnā€™t had those urs. I love that Liza is enjoying her skating and feels so calm and confident. What a great comeback from Alyona. She looked nervous and not polished so the score is deserved. Sheā€™ll grow more confident, will have the attack and get better PCs and Goes.
Kamila is in the league of her own. I still think the Storm from last year was better.

readernick

Medalist
Im the opposite, I saw Liu's q realtime and not Higuchi's, even though I was looking for it because she did it in warmups. Calling an obvious UR on that 3A wasn't being strict. I will give Liu credit for having the guts to go 3A. Even though she URd it, she still outscored Higuchi's 2A by a point. I hope Wakaba takes note of that for the future.
It is strict now. There were many clearly UR jumps in this competition that were called as q. So, calling Liu's 3A ur not q was strict. It shouldn't be this way but that's how the technical panels work now ...

I actually think Wakaba was smart to not go for the 3A in the SP. She is currently in 5th place and will be in the second group and , as a result, be scored more generously. She tends to fall on URs which Alysa doesn't. So, I think she needs to make sure her 3A is solid before adding it to the SP.

Last edited:

readernick

Medalist
I do want to mention this. These GPā€™s have been great competition wise so far. Winning by out skating your opponents rather than your opponents self destructing.
This is a very positive outlook and true. It's nice that so many competitors are doing well!

alexocfp

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
This is a very positive outlook and true. It's nice that do many competitors are doing well!
I am of the opinion that great skaters push everyone to become better. And the more you have, the higher the bar gets raised.

There is absolutely no doubt in my mind, that the Russianā€˜s were hearing about Liu clawing at their heels all week and that it motivates them more.

alexocfp

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The competition tonight also made us forget about the Russian visa fiasco. Haha

On day 1 it didnā€˜t seem that they were affected by the late arrival or isolated practice.

snwnprv

On the Ice
Country
Russia
It keeps bugging me that I cannot understand what is the language in Madeline's SP music, it's definitely not Russian, and I'm not even sure it's one of the Slavic languages. So distracting :laugh:
Good skating, Madeline!
It's Romanian (it belongs to the group of Romance languages).

The lyrics are here: https://lyricstranslate.com/en/vals-waltz.html-2

Last edited:

Joekaz

On the Ice
It is strict now. There were many clearly UR jumps in this competition that were called as q. So, calling Liu's 3A ur not q was strict. It shouldn't be but the way technical panels work now ...

I actually think Wakaba was smart to not go for the 3A in the SP. She is currently in 5th place and will be in the second group and , as a result, be scored more generously. She tends to fall on URs which Alysa doesn't. So, I think she needs to make sure her 3A is solid before adding it to the SP.
I might agree for this specific event, but going forward she has to do it in both. If she had thoughts of possibly doing it tonight, that ended when she saw Kawabe. Lol

readernick

Medalist
I am of the opinion that great skaters push everyone to become better. And the more you have, the higher the bar gets raised.

There is absolutely no doubt in my mind, that the Russianā€˜s were hearing about Liu clawing at their heels all week and that it motivates them more.
To me, the skater with the quality to challenge the Russians is actually Wakaba but she needs to go for her 3A. If she does that, she should outscore everyone here except Kamila due to her quality. Alysa is also a great skater but less impressive to me if both are clean.

But, yes, it's good that other skaters are pushing the Russians. I think this is more evident in the junior field. Sofia Akateva ( almost a perfect skater ) is on another level, but the American, Korean and ( probably... Based on some if their novices) Japanese junior women are pretty competitive with the rest of the Russians. It's more exciting when more skaters are competitive.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
She's my new Maria Butyrskaya. A true beauty and a fighter. Love her!!
Oh Mrrice how could you show such a lack of loyalty to your Maria??? Shocking. There is only one Butyrskaya. Liza is a queen in herself. Alyssa is a solid skater; I am just not enamoured with her skating. I am a little sad in some ways there is such a push for tech skating. Chen is probably the best pc skater but she has tech issues. I think Liu might not just podium here but olympics. IF she continues to mature, she gets the no. 1 position in the US which is almost a sure thing with Mariah not skating well, Karen's UR's and Bradie injury she is the it girl and the US can promote her as such.

Russia doesn't look that invincible and AK is in huge trouble. It looks like she is being dumped - though to b fair she woudl be desired in any other country but Russia. Canada would love her. Great skating by the final group.