2021 Skate Canada: Women's Short Program | Page 34 | Golden Skate

2021 Skate Canada: Women's Short Program

icybear

Medalist
The Eurosport guy commenting on ISU has not been right in the head ever since he started doing commentary for ISU youtube streams. Mistook Daniil for Sergei Dudakov after Alena skate. I would expect the names of the 3 coaches of Team Tut to be basic info for someone who is supposed to be knowledgeable enough in FS to be hired by ISU. And hasnt he been commenting on Eurosport FS since the 2000s. But since he started on ISU, he's been mispronouncing names and making all kind of errors

readernick

Medalist
It's not just spins though. At her very first Senior event she got 9+s on every segment. A skater just arrived in the Senior ranks. And with flawed skates. They may as well just hand Kami the Olympic gold already.
They are planning to. I would say the GOE here was pretty spot on for Kamila her combo got lots of +1s /+2 which is what it deserves... Her 3A was given +2/3 which I also agree with because I find it among the least impressive 3As in women's skating. The spins deserve every high GOE mark they receive.

It's the PCS I don't agree with. She is good in many PCS categories but she is definitely overmarked in others...

Last edited:

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
So I assume from the scoring that RusFed wants Kamila (obviously) and Liza on the Olympic team. Not bad.
And i don't want to say that they are slowly saying bye bye to Aliona....
Because, in what galaxy other than the one where fed agressively push Tukt not to have 3 skaters of the same camp at olys, would she be that much above Aliona in pcs and her UR ignored?

Joekaz

On the Ice
In fairness, Alysa has a lot of transitions and great choreography. Program wise, I think hers is the best. Valieva and Tuk were overscored in PCS. Karen in TES.. Why was the technical caller blind only to her and Tuk's URs...

Haven't checked the protocol but I thought the 3T was under.
Alysa still pretty juniorish. The scoring shows that US Fed is behind her and JSF couldn't care less about Higuchi or Mihara.

vorravorra

Record Breaker
And i don't want to say that they are slowly saying bye bye to Aliona....
Because, in what galaxy other than the one where fed agressively push Tukt not to have 3 skaters of the same camp at olys, would she be that much above Aliona in pcs and her UR ignored?
I hate to say it but Aliona didn't bring it tonight (or at any time this season). I wanted to prod her to get her awake and moving. She needs more time with the program and to perform better. She needs to regain her confidence, she still feels a bit lost.

rollerblade

Record Breaker
The Eurosport guy commenting on ISU has not been right in the head ever since he started doing commentary for ISU youtube streams. Mistook Daniil for Sergei Dudakov after Alena skate.

I think Simon just reads what's on his screen. The graphics on ISU stream showed Tutberidze and Dudakov as coaches. Gleikhengauz's name was left out.

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
That was as expected, a pretty exciting competition, given the stacked field.

So far the Top 5 are exactly how I predicted but could be changed depending on how many clean quads and 3As are landed.

I don't understand Aliona's new SP, she seemed to perk up during the Liza Minnelli vocals but the first half is a snooze.

Simon Reed was terrible, I could do a better job commentating. I wish Mark Hanretty was available again but it looked like he went on holiday with the family.

alexocfp

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
And these people all scream better judging and then I see comments like this. Tuktamysheva ideally should barely scratch 30's with her skating.
Wait, Liza scoring more is an example of better judging. Haha

All kidding aside, Liza has gotten hosed a lot too previously. But you didn’t hear me complaining.

readernick

Medalist
Alysa still pretty juniorish. The scoring shows that US Fed is behind her and JSF couldn't care less about Higuchi or Mihara.
No doubt and that is reflected in the SS mark. But, transitions, choreography, interpretation were pretty on point. She wasn't overscored compared to others.

Tuk got 35 for her skate.... The problem I see is Wakaba's PCS compared to Tuk's.. just different levels of skaters but not in the way the PCS suggests

alexocfp

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Kamila got +5 from almost all the judges on her CCoSp4 (she only got a +4). She was indisputably the best in this field, absolutely incredible, nerves of steel, temper, elegance. Fully boarded on her train. 😍
Well summarized.

She is starting to go through the gears now. The scary part is how easy she makes this look. It shouldn’t look this easy.

But the main takeaway is the confidence is building. Last year she had that deer in the headlights look.

Now she has the eye of the tiger. She is stating to believe and projecting the aura that she is unbeatable.

Last edited:

rollerblade

Record Breaker
Upon rewatch, I've decided I prefer the Beth Hart program. :slink: And I think they could have a better edit of that song as well.

Beth Hart's live performance of that song is very NC-17 though, maybe more suitable for ice dance (ie: Madison Chock :love:).