2021 Rostelecom Cup: Men's Short Program | Page 19 | Golden Skate

2021 Rostelecom Cup: Men's Short Program

kolyadafan2002

Fan of Kolyada
Final Flight
As much as I try it is so hard to do because when his jumps are done right they are gorgeous :bang::cry:
I don't understand Mishins plan.
The reason he struggled with the 4T was because he felt pressure to do it in combo.
He should open up with 4T in combo, then 4S as second jump. If he misses 4T, he can even play safe with 3S+3T or sime other combo

Yannis94

Rinkside
Clearly off the ice
More like 5 mm hovering but it's off the ice alright. I'm surprised they didn't call it as a 4S again because the technical panel & judges can only review the landing in frame by frame slo-motion so they literally could not have seen that. The fact it gets a +2.44 GOE is baffling to me. And no individual judge used a minus in the GOE scoring is telling.

rinkside_user

On the Ice
I could only watch glimpses of the men's short (work, duh) but DAMN Kolyada's 4S was awfully prerotated (check out the slomo).

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Amazing skate by Tomono (frankly underscored on PCS but whatever, it's a big personal best).

Great skate by Morisi as well - probably his best SP I've seen him do, but his first two jumping passes were dodgy and the GOE shouldn't have been as high. Also, his quad toe's take off with the blade is dodgy but he does lift it enough that it isn't the same as his salchow - shouldn't get any +2/+3s though because that is poor takeoff technique and he was forward on the his landing scratching on his toepick. Absolutely insane that his PCS was higher than Tomono's, but I get the politics.

A pleasant surprise to see Roman in 3rd, and hopefully this boost his confidence.

Kolyada's SP is sublime choreo but the judges were very generous to him. Too many 9/9.25s for two glaring errors, including a fall and no combo. Also his second quad definitely should have been given a < ... you can see it here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8wpeURYafg#t=5m9s I know it's Rostelecom and all, but gotta still call it out -- Mark Kondratiuk was also given huge PCS for having 2 falls and Semenenko as well (criminal that it's essentially the same as Tomono's clean skate).

Last edited:

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
1) Not clearly, toepick looks to be scraping it.
2) reguardless, he travels on an edge with this blade after - something he usually doesn't do. That is undeniable, and thats what makes it a salchow.
To me there is space between his left foot and the ice. It's for such a split second and I'd drop the GOE, but it's a different technique than his salchow.

vorravorra

Record Breaker
I cannot call myself an expert, but I think that there will be many people who would consider this performance at least controversial.

Once again, it is not clear what happened to the Russian men. Sometimes I'm get the impression that they just don't want to win.
There was an illness going around in Mishin's group. Could have something to do with it.

vorravorra

Record Breaker
I don't understand Mishins plan.
The reason he struggled with the 4T was because he felt pressure to do it in combo.
He should open up with 4T in combo, then 4S as second jump. If he misses 4T, he can even play safe with 3S+3T or sime other combo
He most likely can't land 4S as a second jump since the combo takes too much energy. Maybe they should just take it out. Possibly it's working well in practices and that's why they are persisting, but that's no guarantee of anything.

kolyadafan2002

Fan of Kolyada
Final Flight
To me there is space between his left foot and the ice. It's for such a split second and I'd drop the GOE, but it's a different technique than his salchow.
And when he puts leg back down, he puts the blade down and glides backwards on it reguardless. He guides on an inside edge after "picking", then initiates a salchow takeoff

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
And when he puts leg back down, he puts the blade down and glides backwards on it reguardless. He guides on an inside edge after "picking", then initiates a salchow takeoff
Okay, this whole thing with a full blade is poor technique, it doesn't change the mechanics of the jump.

People use this argument all the time saying a full blade "pick" on a flip or lutz makes the jump more like a loop, which it does not.

It's super sketchy technique don't get me wrong, and yes, he's probably the skater who most has his salchow and toe techniques similar to each other, but I don't think it's so egregious that he needs to be hugely dinged on it. The mechanics of each jump are still different enough. If he didn't lift his left foot after the LFO-LBI 3turn then, yes, I would say it would be a case for "repeating an element" but there's enough of a difference IMO.

LadyB

Record Breaker
The audience loves Keiji and Kazuki, so much is sure. I was reminded that some programmes are better when seen as a live performance. I’m not talking about GOEs here, just the music and interpretation. I didn’t care much for Kondratiuk’s or Pulkkinen’s SPs this season, but today I was quite into both skates - mistakes aside.
Kolyada - shame he’s got to jump, I’d be happy to just watch his floating lines.

KiraraChin

Medalist
Amazing skate by Tomono (frankly underscored on PCS but whatever, it's a big personal best).

Great skate by Morisi as well - probably his best SP I've seen him do, but his first two jumping passes were dodgy and the GOE shouldn't have been as high. Also, his quad toe's take off with the blade is dodgy but he does lift it enough that it isn't the same as his salchow - shouldn't get any +2/+3s though because that is poor takeoff technique and he was forward on the his landing scratching on his toepick. Absolutely insane that his PCS was higher than Tomono's, but I get the politics.

A pleasant surprise to see Roman in 3rd, and hopefully this boost his confidence.

Kolyada's SP is sublime choreo but the judges were very generous to him. Too many 9/9.25s for two glaring errors, including a fall and no combo. Also his second quad definitely should have been given a < ... you can see it here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8wpeURYafg#t=5m9s I know it's Rostelecom and all, but gotta still call it out -- Mark Kondratiuk was also given huge PCS for having 2 falls and Semenenko as well (criminal that it's essentially the same as Tomono's clean skate).

Thank you for calling it out. For us Kazuki fans this is routine - he delivers a great performance and gets robbed again and again, especially in PCS 🥲 This is in part due to politicking by other feds, but also in huge part due to JSF's choice. We know they can politick when they want, but sadly they never did that for Kazuki.

LadyB

Record Breaker
Shame on me: I forgot a shout-out to Moris! That was a really nice skate and I hope he stays on that podium.
Brezina - I hope he gets an invite to the gala! No matter how he fares in competition, he’s just a showman and great to watch!

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
The audience loves Keiji and Kazuki, so much is sure. I was reminded that some programmes are better when seen as a live performance. I’m not talking about GOEs here, just the music and interpretation. I didn’t care much for Kondratiuk’s or Pulkkinen’s SPs this season, but today I was quite into both skates - mistakes aside.
Kolyada - shame he’s got to jump, I’d be happy to just watch his floating lines.
How was Zhenya S received? I thought his step sequence was boss did that translate live?

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Wow Michal has very high heels on his skates. I wonder how skaters figure out their fit and all that.

Here comes the best eyebrows in the business. Go Camden!

They go to skate fitters and at high levels they will only use a couple. Same thing for skate sharpeners. Like 1 or 2 people sharpen skates of all US athletes. I don’t know about other countries.