Doubts over GP Final: Cancelled | Page 9 | Golden Skate

Doubts over GP Final: Cancelled

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Was it two years ago when we all debated about whether or not to hold the worlds? There was talk on the nat news in the US tonight that stricker testing for international flights would be implemented....within 24 hours of flight. The first case that came to the US from SA was a vaxed person who , IIRC, got symptoms within 2-3 days after landing here in California. But there will be others. The only questions are, is it more contageous? More or less lethal? And if the vax needs to be modified, will it really take 3 months or can it be fast tracked? And the big one....what's the next greek letter and when will it arrive. :(

Winnie_20

Record Breaker
“A source familiar with the matter”.
Eh.
Until I see actual confirmation from the ISU, I will remain hopeful.

removof

On the Ice
It s a big fail for isu... they dont organize an alternative...
Thé hygiénist contries must stop welcoming internationals évents during pandemie

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Thé hygiénist contries must stop welcoming internationals évents during pandemie
I am not sure what is meant by this comment. It isn't great for skating, for the fans or the isu but I am not sure there is time to organize an alternative especially with the omicron Covid variant and all sorts of new rules come out from each nation. There is more to life than skating as much as we love it. I think the focus should be on ensuring a safe olympics and that it proceeds.

zanadude

Medalist
Country
Japan
As a side note, this is not the only issue that the JSF is dealing with:

The quarantine measure could create headaches for Japanese speedskaters who are currently overseas.

From Dec. 3 to 5, they will compete in a World Cup event in Salt Lake City in the United States, followed by a Dec. 10- 12 World Cup event in Calgary in Canada.

They are then supposed to return to Japan and head to Nagano for a qualifying trial from Dec. 27 to 30 for the Beijing Games.

But if they are required to isolate themselves for 14 days after returning from Canada, they may not be able to compete in Nagano.

The Japan Skating Federation said it is waiting for the government to make a decision on the matter.

zanadude

Medalist
Country
Japan
Official announcement:

The ISU was informed by the Japan Skating Federation (JSF) that the ISU Grand Prix of Figure Skating Final 2021, scheduled to take place from December 9 – 12, 2021 in Osaka (JPN) cannot be held as planned.

Unfortunately, considering the complicated epidemic situation involving travel restrictions, quarantine requirements, safety concerns and logistical challenges, the organization of the event was extremely challenging. The Japan Skating Federation and the Local Organizing Committee tried their best to find solutions but ultimately concluded that, regrettably, they are unable to organize and hold the event as planned.

The ISU regrets that the hosting of the event is no longer possible in Osaka in December. The ISU will evaluate a possible postponement to hold the Event at the end of the season and will take a decision as soon as possible. The ISU thanks the Japan Skating Federation for their efforts and cooperation.

eaglehelang

Final Flight
The decision to cancel is expected ever since the Japanese government announced the ban on foreigners entering Japan.

kan01

Final Flight
Country
Romania
If they really want to postpone it and eventually hold it, they could hold it after the Olympics and before Worlds or in April like WTT this year. I think it's doable, probably in another country though.

Baron Vladimir

Record Breaker
If they really want to postpone it and eventually hold it, they could hold it after the Olympics and before Worlds or in April like WTT this year. I think it's doable, probably in another country though.
'The ISU will evaluate a possible postponement to hold the Event at the end of the season and will take a decision as soon as possible.'

Raskolnikov

Rinkside
Country
Russia
Who'd have thought it could happen? :unsure:
Certainly not ISU.
The writings were on the wall at the very beginning of the season. The country that didn't send any of its juniors to JGP series.
All the trouble with pleasing the Japanese with extra spots for junior singles at the expense of the pairs discipline went down the drain. All the dodgy shenagians with the qualification criteria to push Americans and Canadians in the juniors final.
Good riddance.

CrazyKittenLady

Thanks for skating, Lyosha!
Record Breaker
Country
Austria
The writings were on the wall at the very beginning of the season. The country that didn't send any of its juniors to JGP series.
All the trouble with pleasing the Japanese with extra spots for junior singles at the expense of the pairs discipline went down the drain.
Exactly. I hope the ISU at least finds an alternative host for JGPF and gives these shady wild card spots to skaters who actually participated in the JGP series.

zanadude

Medalist
Country
Japan
The World Championships are already such a chore for the skaters during an Olympic year that many of the Olympic participants choose to skip it. I can't imagine too many of them being thrilled about having another major competition after Worlds. Sounds like a recipe for burnout and injury.

Country
Norway
To be fair I think this could have happen elsewhere also. Just look at Switzerland who cancelled Winter Universiade. A lot of other B-events in December has been cancelled. Bratislava Grand Prix etc.. Don´t blame this on Japan in particular. We can´t help what is happening, the Omicron variant is still a concern and we should act that way until we know more. This way we don´t have to be concerned about the safety of the skaters either.

I think it´s a good idea to postpone it until the end of the season. It would be like WTT, only it´s GP. The pressure would be off, we could really enjoy the skates. It would be interesting how that could turn out because of what happens at OG.

Honestly i´m happy and surprised we got almost a half season with almost no cancellation, except the final we got all rounds of JGP and GP and a lot of Challenger and B-events. Most important we had a season with a variety of skaters who could finally compete after having travel issues last season and last season was a mixed bag. Skaters could go earn the minimums. It finally felt like a normal season, and i´m not going to be sad about JGP final and GP being postponed. Second half of season starts mostly in 1 month and it´s the season for Nationals which most likely would be easier to arrange, and I think the other evens can still be arranged because it´s still time to figure out the situation.

Last edited:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
The only questions are, is it more contageous? More or less lethal? And if the vax needs to be modified, will it really take 3 months or can it be fast tracked? And the big one....what's the next greek letter and when will it arrive. :(
We don't know the answers yet to any of these questions, and that is the problem. In a few weeks we may know, but it will be too late for GPF.
This is ridiculous.

You cannot up and move a major international event in less than a week. The logistics are impossible. There are venue considerations, visa considerations, flights, accommodation, insurance. Remembering also that the GPF has Juniors, who would need arrangements for their chaperones. Anyone who thought they could move it to another location on this short notice was absolutely dreaming.

And it could not be delayed. It is already as late as can be. Any later and it will start interfering with various Nationals, 4CC, Euros, the Olympics. If they do delay it, it can only be at the end of the season.

kan01

Final Flight
Country
Romania
Second half of season starts mostly in 1 month and it´s the season for Nationals which most likely would be easier to arrange, and I think the other evens can still be arranged because it´s still time to figure out the situation.
I hope ISU is thinking about Europeans and 4CC and possible alternative locations. 4CC is already an alternative, but...

And if GPF is held in April like WTT and some skaters skip it, there are always alternates who earned their points who I imagine would be thrilled to go, especially the younger skaters who would like a chance at a GPF medal.

surimi

Congrats to Sota, #10 in World Standings!
Record Breaker
To be fair I think this could have happen elsewhere also. Just look at Switzerland who cancelled Winter Universiade. A lot of other B-events in December has been cancelled. Bratislava Grand Prix etc.. Don´t blame this on Japan in particular. We can´t help what is happening, the Omicron variant is still a concern and we should act that way until we know more. This way we don´t have to be concerned about the safety of the skaters either.

I think it´s a good idea to postpone it until the end of the season. It would be like WTT, only it´s GP. The pressure would be off, we could really enjoy the skates. It would be interesting how that could turn out because of what happens at OG.

Honestly i´m happy and surprised we got almost a half season with almost no cancellation, except the final we got all rounds of JGP and GP and a lot of Challenger and B-events. Most important we had a season with a variety of skaters who could finally compete after having travel issues last season and last season was a mixed bag. Skaters could go earn the minimums. It finally felt like a normal season, and i´m not going to be sad about JGP final and GP being postponed. Second half of season starts mostly in 1 month and it´s the season for Nationals which most likely would be easier to arrange, and I think the other evens can still be arranged because it´s still time to figure out the situation.

Good points.
I am sorry to see the GPF go, but at least we had an almost normal start of the season. Audience allowed at competitions, and all GP events taking place, is a major upgrade from last year. At least many skaters have had a chance to earn world ranking points, and new SB and PB.
Also true about Japan not being the only strict country. China cancels repeatedly, and Slovakia canceled its Challenger two times in a row.

I am not sure WTT is held in Olympic years, can anyone refresh my memory? Even if GPF/JGPF were held instead of WTT, I am not sure it would not run out of alternates. It has been said many times how exhausting the OG seasons is for top skaters, and the field at Olympic year WC tends to be missing the biggest Olympic contenders. Who in this case, would also be GP finalists and alternates.

But I will keep my fingers crossed for EC and 4CC to take place. The competitors from smaller countries (and B teams from the big feds) need it.

Country
Norway
If you want to know how contagious Omicron is, Norway supposedly already have the biggest outbreak so far in the world. A traveller who came back from South-Africa attended a private Christmas table with his company and now 60 people at the same party has tested positive (Around 100 attended). They are analyzing now to find if all the cases is Omicron, but most likely it is, as the one from South Africa tested positive on Omicron.

Everybody on the Christmas table was supposedly vaccinated and had to take a test before they attended (not sure the latter happen though)...

Oooh does damn Christmas table :ROFLMAO:

Last edited: